Juanita

Juanita

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Everybody loves Leo Politi, who wrote and illustrated dozens of children's books, many of which are set in the Latino communities of Southern California. Parents and children—and their children's children—have grown up reading his stories. Libraries, parks, and schools have been named in his honor; in 2008, on what would have been his one hundredth birthday, there were cel

Published September 9th 2009 by J. Paul Getty Museum (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Juanita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juanita

Rachel
The author and illustrator Leo Politi can do everything. He creates delightful multicultural stories with adorable illustrations, and writes music and lyrics for his books (though some are traditional songs I believe). This is the third book I’ve read of his for the Caldecott Challenge, and this won a 1949 Caldecott Honor. The book is another book that starts on Olvera Street (the same as his book "Pedro, the Angel of Olvera Street"), which is the Hispanic part of Los Angeles. On the street are...more
Sam
Favorite Illustration: the picture depicting Juanita's birthday party with streamers, a cake, cascarones and other games, and lots of singing, smiling children.
Juanita was a cute little story about an Easter parade in a small Los Angeles suburb. I was a little confused by the beginning, talking about Juanita's parent's shop and Juanita's birthday. I felt that they were disjointed when compared with the rest of the story, which centered around the parade on the day before Easter.
The pictures, ho...more
Paul
With this book, Politi gave us another treasure in 1948 - also see Pedro the Angel of Olvera Street. Here we follow young Juanita through her earliest years in Los Angeles where her parents operate a small stand, celebrate her fourth birthday - she receives a dove - and in a procession for The Blessing of the Animals at the Old Mission Church on the Saturday that precedes Easter. Politi's illustrations are simple but pull readers in along with the well-told story, creating a joyful account - inc...more
Lorna
1949 Caldecott Honor

Favorite line: Some nice descriptive text ---

"The golden rays of the warm spring sun glittered joyfully over the colorful parade."

Favorite illustration: The title page!

Kid-appeal: I think this would be useful in studying Latino culture in the Los Angeles/Southern California area. As noted above, there are also some really nice examples of the use of descriptive words that'd be great to share with kids. Nice, cheery illustrations.

Ed
Very beautiful illustrations, very similar in style and story to Pedro The Angel Of Olvera Street. This time the occasion is Juanita's fifth birthday, and the blessing of the animals on the day before Easter. I loved the procession of the animals, and thought the entire book was wonderful. Simply illustrated, yet still very nice use of color.
Molly
This is the story of a Mexican-American girl named Juanita and her family's traditions for birthdays and Easter. I was glad to see a multicultural picture book from the 40's that portrays Latinos in such a positive light, but the story was rather dull. However, the illustrations are beautiful.
Melissa
I did not LOVE this book, but I think it could be useful when studying the Spanish/Mexican customs of birthday celebrations and the Blessing of the Animals. This book also shows how family is more important than having earthly goods.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Caldecott Honor 1949 - Again, this seems more like a picture book vs. some of the other books published during the 1940's.

Politi works to capture a slice of life in Los Angeles during that time period.
Mary
This recording of the life of a young child in old Los Angeles is slight in story, but sweet. The muted illustrations have a bit of a folk-art feel.
Mary Ann
I loved this glimpse of Los Angeles's Olvera Street and the Easter celebrations. Very sweet and tender.
Amanda
About the Blessing of the Animals, a Catholic tradition held the day before Easter.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Jo Polidano
Jo Polidano marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Cat Fletcher
Cat Fletcher marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013