Batista Unleashed

Batista Unleashed

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  50 reviews
People around the world know Dave Batista as World Wrestling Entertainment's "the Animal," the rope-shaking, spine-busting World Heavyweight Champion, one of the most popular Superstars in recent years.The crowd turned Batista from heel to babyface after they were electrified by his awesome physique and physical wrestling style.

Few fans, however, know that Batista didn't...more
Published October 16th 2007 by World Wrestling Entertainment

Brandon
I hated this book.

It now has the distinction of being the first book that I've ever started, that I could not bring myself to finish. Oh GOD, I hated this. If I had anything else on my shelf that I could have picked up to read before my next splurge of reading material, I would have. I probably should have read the phone book.

This man is a grade-A douchebag. He is such an asshole in the first 75 pages that I wanted to punch this book in the face. I've never, EVER, read anything so self-centered...more
BookMarc
Dear Dave,
I am contacting you in regards to your biography that I read a little while back. Had your book been an item of food I would have returned it to the place it was purchased and demanded a refund due to it being stale, lifeless and stomach-churning. As it happens my local bookstore refuses refunds, or an exchange, based on the fact that a book is stale, lifeless and stomach-churning. Perhaps the laws regarding food should apply to books also? After all we do digest both.
Standing at 6ft 6...more
Miles
Dec 21, 2007 Miles rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes wrestling
This book is a very captivating autobiography about a wrestlers life. His name is Dave Batista and he is a wwe (world wrestling entertainment)superstar. The book explains his whole entire life and all the problems he had growing up. When he was growing up in Washington D.C., he had a lot of trouble and school and his personal life. This book takes you through all his struggles and triumphs in his carrer. The book just makes you want to keep on reading. I highly recommend this book to wrestling f...more
rem
Batista Unleashed by Dave Batista is a tell-all autobiography on the life of Dave "The Animal" Batista. I really enjoyed reading this book because I finally got to read and see the personal perspective of my favorite WWE wrestler during the times of Monday Night Raw Live shows and Friday Night Smackdown shows as well. Reading how time consuming it is to be a professional wrestler changed my views a lot on how dedication in this wrestling business takes you away from your personal life in order t...more
Jamil Labaky
This book is about David Michael Bautista Jr.,known as Dave Batista,a former WWE superstar.It explains his life in his own words and some quotes from his familly,mostly his mother because he spent mostly all of his childhood with her.He also explains how he grew up in the filthy and dangerous streets of Washington DC,which he sometimes found dead people in.His life was pitful at first,but he later became one of the best wrestlers in the world.From poor to rich,he witnessed many stuff in his life...more
Johnny Villanueva
The first biography I've ever read, it turned out to be quite good, all bias aside. Yes, I am a WWE fan (off and on), and yes I am a Dave Bautista fan and that is why I was initially inclined to read his book four years ago. It accomplished to capture his voice, his feelings, emotions and experiences from his innocent beginnings as a skinny kid from a broken home - all the way through his life on the streets - bodybuilding endeavors, and wrestling career. All events listed in his book were chron...more
Jenny
This is an amazing book about a professional wrestler named Dave Batista. I know that many people think the WWE is all fake and it might even be pointless because the show is mostly about "muscular men in tights." But after you read this book, you'll find out that there is more to the WWE and the professional wrestling industry than just . In this book, Batista discusses the major issues in this industry, how hard the wrestlers actually work and most importantly, about his life. I really have a...more
Crystal
It's an interesting book. Batista goes into great detail about his childhood, his wrestling ambitions and his personal life regarding his wife and his affairs. He also talks about his child custody battles with his first wife and raising his grandsons. Just like many wrestling-related books, Batista also dives into what it is really like to be a wrestler and how he started from the ground-up.

He's not a great writer and it's clear by several pages in the book. The book does seem to be thrown tog...more
Dana
This sucked. I know that's mean to say, especially about an autobiography. His life didn't suck, the composition of the book did. It was like no one edited the book. Poorly written and it was just everywhere (not in a good Mick Foley way). The structure was like reading a third grader's essay. He was honest but it seemd like he skimmed over everything. "This guy is really funny, I forgot the story but if you heard it, it would be funny." WTF! He skimmed the details of everything and was half-ass...more
Paul Schoenberg
The constant accusations of steroids this is just a preview of the struggles that this professional wrestler had to face. Weighing at 300 pounds at a height of six feet six people just automatically infer that you take drug enhancers. This happens to be the case with this all star wrestler. Dave Batista he has done it all he has managed to make a name for himself in the illustrious company called WWE. Batista is just a hero in the eyes of many and he has certainly impacted my mind. I hundred per...more
Andy Vale
I've read plenty of better wrestling books, this one just didn't grab me. I think there's something about ghost-written ones that just come with a bit of distance.

There's one bit where he describes what a Royal Rumble is for any non-wrestling fans. It's quite cute, as if anyone not into wrestling is going to pick up this book.

Meh, I finished it and it wasn't tough. But there are significantly better wrestlers out there who have also written better books (Bret Hart, Jericho, Foley). I'd go for on...more
David Moroff
This book was very interesting. It was interesting because this book talked about how if you follow your dreams you can achieve anything. When Dave was a kid he lived in a bad neighborhood in Washington D.C and he started to act bad. Then when Dave got older he saw wrestling matches and decided that was what he waned to be and this turned Dave's life around and made him behave better and be more responsible so he could follow his dream.
Robert Risher
I could've given this a generous 2 stars, but I remembered I recently gave the Goldust bio 2 stars and it was better than this. The main problem was that Batista just isn't an endearing personality for me, and the book does capture his voice correctly. Whatever success he's had as a wrestler doesn't translate to authoring a book. The ideas were jumpy, and his back-stage stories didn't have the hook or fresh incite I sought.
Jeremy
this a great book. especially if you are into the wwe. it is something that some people can relate to.
this a book about dave batista a wwe superstar who faces many problems when he was young. he grew up with a single parent, his mom. fighting to stay alive. at one point he was on the streets.
it tells of the many hardships he faced. it is what drove him to be where he stands today.
Brian
I got this book as a deal when I purchased the Chris Jericho book. I did not have high expectations, however it exceeded my expectations. The book was very good and addressed a lot of topics people wanted to hear about. I would like to have him write a follow up for the final years of his wrestling career and give more backstage input. Very easy read and a fun read as well.
Ruben
An extreme documentary novel written and published by the World Wrestling Entertainment's own, Dave Bautista. in this piece he explains hisearly life living in Washington D.C. Living and traveling all around the world is what his job is, and he is great at his job. throughout the book, he drags you into his story of how an animal was created. I gave this book a 5 out of 5.
John Long
Yeah, it wasn't Batista writing the book. He had a lot of help from the ghost writer, but it came off really well. It didn't get too into wrestling terminology, but when it did it was well explained. The early life was pretty in depth, which was nice. Having a setup as to why someone wants to get into the sport they're in is always needed in a sports biography.
Ms. Bridget
It was good but it was kind of slow in a lot of areas. I think the only reason I finished it is because I LOVE Batista. Normally, if books are this slow and this much of a struggle, I wouldn't finish it...Its rare that I do unless there is something just drawing me in & keeps me reading...Thats how this book was for me...plus, like I said, I L O V E Batista & WWE..
Patrina Patrina
Mar 24, 2008 Patrina Patrina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who've kinda followed wrestling, know something about wrestling, and who love wrestling
if you know who rick rude, curt henning, the ultimate warrior, john cena or NWO are, you should read this book. batista doesnt seem like one to mince words, and his to the point style of story telling is entertaining and straight talking. i was always slightly and only by proximity interested in wrestling, but i feel like ive been converted!
Grace
I gave it a two because it showed just how much wrestlers have to travel and how much of it they do alone. It shows the unseen side of the constant moving about and continual shows. However, it made me dislike him, he is unsympathetic and just not a very nice person. But the book was interesting in other ways.
Chris Belleisle
This is actually a really good autobiography of this sort, mostly because Batista's backstory is fairly interesting and because he has some amusing stories. It also answered my question about whether or not Eddie Guerrero was supposed to get the title on the day he died (he wasn't -- Randy Orton was).
Brent Wooten
Surprisingly ... surprising. I thought Dave Batista (a WWE wrestler, if you don't know him) is a pretty honest and down-to-earth kind of guy. He explains his vices and his family life, making him more of a regular human being than I ever fathomed. I respect him a whole lot more now than I did before.
Jade
This was an amazing book, there was so much I never knew before about Batista and now I know so much, everything he's been through, in the ring you just see the one side, his character, the animal, in this book you explore the other side, it's a must read for all wrestling fans.
Rose
Oct 30, 2008 Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any wrestling fan.
Recommended to Rose by: My Daughter
I am a huge wrestling fan. I found this book to be incredibly interesting. It was a look inside the life of a pro wrestler, and his climb to the top. At 30 he decided it was time to take the bull by the horns and jump into the ring. A must read for any wrestling fan.
Tonya
As much I love Dave Batista I am not a big fan of his book. I don't apprecuate all the details about his daughter (no wonder she dosen't speak to him). Dave also exposes his addiction to women and his fiery temper. He also details his start in the WWE.

Beatrix Kallweit-schulz
..my son is interested in wrestling, this is also good for parents to read a little about the whole surrounding. I thought it was good that the author reminded the kids to go to shool and how important education is for the kids.
Brian
I was kind of disappointed, actually. It's not that funny, which most wrestling books are.

He also bites his tongue, which doesn't make for very interesting reading.

Hard to believe this guy is a grandfather.
Terry
I saw this book on discount, and seeing how Batista was my fav back when I was a kid, I got it. This book made me realize that wrestlers are people too, and they have the same problems as we probably do.
Diana
What a great book! Batista shows his human side- you get used to him being "The Animal". Batista also gives insight to the behind-the-scenes activity at WWE. I am a huge wrestling fan and I loved this book!
Lisa
May 02, 2008 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWE fans
Shelves: read-2008
I'm a big fan of Dave Batista's and have been since I first saw him on RAW. He's had a very interesting life and other than a couple of vices, seems like a good guy. Great read for wrestling fans.
  • Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story
  • My Life Outside the Ring
  • Lita: A Less Traveled R.O.A.D.--The Reality of Amy Dumas
  • Controversy Creates Cash
  • Ric Flair: To Be the Man
  • Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation
  • It's True! It's True!
  • Death Clutch: My Story of Determination, Domination, and Survival
  • The Death of WCW: Wrestlecrap and Figure Four Weekly Present . . .
  • Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
  • A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex
  • WWE Encyclopedia - The Definitive Guide to World Wrestling Entertainment
Innovation Unleashed: Chief Innovation Officers from McCann-Erickson, Edelman, Publicis & More on Developing and Implementing Creative Communication Solutions (Inside the Minds) (Inside the Minds)