Start by marking “After the Flag Has Been Folded: A Daughter Remembers the Father She Lost to War--and the Mother Who Held Her Family Together” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Karen Spears was nine years old, living with her family in a trailer in rural Tennessee, when her father, David Spears, was killed in the Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam. It was 1966 -- in a nation being torn apart by a war nobody wanted, in an emotionally charged Southern landscape stained with racism and bigotry -- and suddenly the care and well-being of three small children ...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by Harper Paperbacks (first published January 2005)

Susie Finkbeiner
I don't typically read memoir, but I picked this up as part of my research for a project. I truly appreciated the courage it took Zacharias to share this story. It's a tough one. Full of hardship. But Zacharias never once played the "poor me" card. She wrote with grace and dignity.
Rick Colburn
Sep 01, 2015 Rick Colburn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwrenching

Very good read b
Things the reality of the stories of soldiers spouses and children left behind after the soldiers death. And the trials and tribulations that the survivors have to face and deal with. I highly recommend this book. GOD BLESS OUR SOLDIERS and GOD BLESS the U.S.A.

SGT RICK Colburn
13 year VETERAN
U. S. ARMY
Kathy
Apr 16, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quotable:
I came across an awful story the other day. A story of an American soldier. Tim O’Brien tells it in his book The things they carried. O’Brien has mastered the art of telling ghastly tales of the American war in Vietnam. I’m careful about when I read his stuff. I don’t read his prose while eating. I don’t read it before bedtime. I don’t read it if the kids are around. Simply because his words make my stomach convulse, my heart pound, and the fissures in my soul ooze with confusion and an
Russell Sanders
Apr 07, 2015 Russell Sanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen Spears Zacharias’s After the Flag Has Been Folded is an engaging, folksy, sometimes harrowing memoir. Spears’s father was a Vietnam War casualty, and in this book, she explores all that means—for a family to lose a loved one to war. The experience took its toll on her sister, brother, mother, and her. Each of them suffered, trying to make sense of it all, trying to get their own lives on track. Growing up in near poverty, this family, originally from Tennessee and transplanted to Georgia, ...more
Mary K Russell
May 10, 2015 Mary K Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Important Book

I wanted to read this book because I have long sensed that I had dodged a bullet. I married a soldier during the war, knowing that there was a significant chance that he would be sent to Vietnam. But those orders came twice and were cancelled. A brother in law went and returned very troubled. My sister in law struggled with that and eventually her family was broken. My family avoided the severe consequences of the Vietnam veteran or widowhood. This book made me realize just how
Stephan P
Jan 30, 2008 Stephan P rated it it was amazing
This book is part of who I am and where I come from...this is my history...filled with insights on my family and my grandfather who gave his all for his country, without this book I may still be wondering all of things about my existence.
Nicole
Jan 02, 2012 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand the title of this book. Very little was about the author's father; it was a memoir about her life after he died. And, believe me, her mama was no hero. Yes, as a widow, Mama had to work to support her children. But, when she wasn't at work or at school (getting first a GED, then LPN, then RN), she was partying and bringing home different men to their tiny trailer. No matter when Mama was, however, her kids were left unattended. Despite large families on both sides, the author ...more
Cindy Novak-delaurell
I have not read a lot of books about the war in Vietnam. This book was well worth my time and on several occasions, brought tears to my eyes. I have many friends who served in Vietnam. I will never fully understand what they went through or the feelings they harbor, but don't discuss. i truly believe this book helped narrow that gap.
Lynda Breeding
May 02, 2015 Lynda Breeding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I cried for the family, and others that lost their loved ones in Vietnam. I will be forever grateful to the men and women who served in this war. Thank YOU for your service.
Susan
Nov 12, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although much of this story was boring to me, it is an important look at a tragic part of American history.
Carla Harris
Oct 12, 2015 Carla Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad sad story

Vietnam was such a sad mistake in U S history. Reading this book made it even sadder that a family had to go through what it did after the dad's death.
Brandy
Sep 03, 2012 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This book was really good. It was the story of a family who's father died in Vietnam. The 9 yr old girl is the one telling the story. The story was very moving and made you think.
Pam
Jan 08, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
I enjoy this author but this book is a memoir and most of her life was not interesting to me. I'm on page 266. I'll try to edit my review when I'm done.
Shellie Tomlinson
Aug 28, 2011 Shellie Tomlinson rated it it was amazing
Seriously important book that never got the attention it deserved.
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2016
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Sarah Copenhaver
Sarah Copenhaver rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Judith Pearson
Judith Pearson rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
James D. Schmitt
James D. Schmitt marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
CHERYL LEMSTROM
CHERYL LEMSTROM marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Tazucena
Tazucena marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Elliemae
Elliemae rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Jane Ellen Hillis
Jane Ellen Hillis rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Aimee Shaffer
Aimee Shaffer marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Mar 15, 2016
Nan
Nan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Eastern Sun, Winter Moon: An Autobiographical Odyssey
  • Nothing Left to Burn
  • A Dance with the Devil: A True Story of Marriage to a Psychopath
  • Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine
  • My Brother Michael
  • Old Dogs and Children
  • Till the Cows Come Home (Stella Crown Mystery, #1)
  • The Yoga Mamas
  • Safe from the Past: A Story of Hope, Faith and Determination
  • John F. Kennedy (The American Presidents, #35)
  • Touched
  • I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God
  • Queen Victoria in Her Letters and Journals
  • Journey to the Edge of the Light: A Story of Love, Leukemia and Transformation
  • His Brother's Keeper
  • September Sacrifice
  • House of Happy Endings
  • My Old Dog: Rescued Pets with Remarkable Second Acts
Weatherford Award for Best in Appalachian Fiction, 2013, for MOTHER OF RAIN.
More about Karen Spears Zacharias...