Start by marking “The Devious Book for Cats” as Want to Read:
The Devious Book for Cats

The Devious Book for Cats

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  404 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Cats have nine lives. Shouldn't they be lived to the fullest?
Cats were once proud, shrewd, independent animals who lived fast... and died young. Then came domestication - a life of comfort and free health care.
But has domestication really been good for cats? What has become of our sense of adventure, our independence? Fluffy and Bonkers say it's time to fight back and rega
Published September 1st 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Devious Book for Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devious Book for Cats

Millions of Cats by Wanda GágDewey by Vicki MyronOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotThree Samurai Cats by Eric A. KimmelMr. Wuffles! by David Wiesner
Awesome Cat Books
25th out of 119 books — 31 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe World According to Bob by James BowenA Street Cat Named Bob by James BowenCatwings by Ursula K. Le GuinInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Favorite Cat Books
14th out of 82 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Traveller
This book gave me paws.
Cissa
Nov 26, 2009 Cissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is hysterical, and the authors really get cats. The funny is not a surprise; the authors write for "The Onion". However, it was a delight to read something that really did sound true to life for the ways cats think. I strongly recommend this for cat- and book-lovers!
Susan
I received this little gem as a Christmas present from my sister, and while I don't generally read much humor/parody, I knew I was going to love this book! With chapters such as "Reasons You Meant to Do That," "Kitty Litter Explained," "For Black Cats - Making the Most of Superstition," and ""Getting Away With It," The Devious Book for Cats is the perfect book for any cat lover (and her cats, of course!)

The authors have expertly captures most of the cat-isms and behaviors we all know and love,
Dec 20, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh, this book is hilarious!!
And the illustrations are priceless.

Cat owners will enjoy, written by "Fluffy and Bonkers", i.e. some co-editors of The Onion. Some examples of chapter titles are, 'Toying with Allergy Sufferers', 'Catfight! Five Moves you Should Know', 'Outsmarting Your Toys' and 'The Pros and Cons of Being Sullen'.
Helen
I was looking for something by Mr. Cox, but our library didn't have anything so I checked to see what there was at 636.8, and found this. It is written by comics so one shouldn't expect too much real advice for either cats or "persons" but there were some real bits of information: do not flush litter down the toilet and realise that that window is a source of unending entertainment even if kitty seems to be napping all the time. Entertainment for the indoor cat is vital since real hunting is den ...more
Alissa Bach
In the process of reading this, I gave it five stars. I'm going to have to up that rating to 10 STARS. As a person to two cats ('cause you know you don't own cats, they own you), I can definitely relate to much of what's in this book. Also, it helped me to better understand the furry felines who have conscented to share living quarters with me. At last, at long last I know the truth about the vacuum... And why that closet door that is kept shut is such an obsession... And countless other things ...more
Selena
Jan 05, 2015 Selena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers
A secret look into the cat lifestyle.

This book is all about how to live your nine lives to their fullest, whether it be about how to pick the purrfect gift for your human or how to annihilate the furniture despite being declawed. There's even a (short) chapter on dogs.

There's also some learning opportunities slipped in, such as a version of the legend of the Maneki Neko and information on how cats eat.

If you like cats, this book is laugh out loud funny. I highly recommend it.
Julia
Jan 02, 2013 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, misc
Rating: 3.5

Ha! This book was very entertaining, and very funny. Now I know why my cat runs into walls, knocks things off my shelves, and tries to rip apart the furniture on occasion.

The Devious Book for Cats is a parody written for cats by “cats.” It’s essentially a guide for cats explaining what fun games to play, proper cat edicate, the history of cats, etc. It is a guide complete with tips and some (very funny) pictures.

This book would be a great book to give as a gift for somebody, or if yo
Redfox5
Jul 18, 2011 Redfox5 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, humor
I think my cat has been reading this book, he certainly acts the way it tells cats to act in here. And I bet he found some comfort in the fact that he is not the only cat scared of the hoover. This book made me laugh out loud. With quotes such as "Shopping Bag:What's in that bag? Are you in that bag? If not, get in there!" and the chapter on dogs which is one line "Some people seem to like dogs. Your guess is as good as ours." This is a must read for any cat lovers :)
Sarai
I enjoyed some parts of this book more than others. The chapter on how to pick proper boxes was funny, and I enjoyed the part on catnip. Some of the other chapters, though, were just humdrum. Luckily, I think this is a book you could pick and choose your way through, and the chapters are short enough that you won't feel like you've wasted your time anywhere.
Leah
Mar 01, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Penned by Fluffy and Bonkers, this book is a soliloquy of the life of a cat. Cat lovers will appreciate all the inside facts and hilarity, replete with diagrams and how-to illustrations. I was laughing my head off. The chapter on dogs is one line long. SImple as that. If you like cats, read this book. Now.
Vera Maharani
Goodreads really should have half stars feature. I feel bad that I gave only 3 stars because some parts were genuinely funny...but in general this leans more to "I like it" rather than "I really like it", hence the rating.

"To dogs, people are masters; to cats, people are servants". True to that joke, this "by cats, for cats" book detailed various ways to dominate the world from the lap of their person. It is started with explanation on how cats were worshipped in the ancient Egypt, and how cats
Starla B
This was a short, funny book. I was very amused. Even though it was a short book, it was still longer than I expected. I especially loved the chapter on Dogs, and the chapter on litter boxes really made me laugh since my mother's cat is currently going through one of the phases.
Michelle
This book gave me many nights of giggles. Every time I read a new page I was compelled to seek out my own two cats to see what they were up to and to compare their behaviour. Very cute and easy read for anyone who is a cat lover and who loves their cat's quirky personality traits.
Laurie
Jul 21, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I spied this on a shelf in Goodwill and could not walk out without it. It is absolutely hysterical. So well written for a parody - of course, felines do know felines *wink*. I'm pretty sure my cats have sneaked a peek or two. (In fact I'm not sure they didn't write this under pen names.) Chapters include "Cardboard Boxes," "An Illustrated Guide To Napping," "Catnip," "Reasons You Meant To Do That," and "The Vacuum Cleaner - A Vortex Of Terror." You'll pick up this book even if you're a Dog Perso ...more
Kris
Mar 21, 2015 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-choice
Entertaining and funny. Nothing too surprising if you've ever shared your home with a cat.
Tammy
Jul 30, 2014 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, cats

A funny book of advice for cats from cats. But seriously, it's a parady of the popular Dangerous Book for Boys and Daring Book for Girls that tells the kids how to do stuff that used to be common knowledge for most people. Everything from building a fire safely in the woods to how to play marbles to the importance of writing a letter (yes, with pen and paper) for certain situations. The books also feature lesser known but important men and women from history that the authors felt could be good r
Michele
Mar 09, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a gift and kept it by my bedside for sleepless nights. Boasting several staff writers from The Onion, it's a little bit snarky, a little bit sweet. Cat lovers will recognize their beasts in these pages. It's definitely a book for cat lovers; others won't find it as charming, I suspect.
Pamela Conley
Aug 26, 2014 Pamela Conley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny parody of "The Dangerous Book for Boys" and "The Daring Book for Girls" by the authors of The Onion and writers of The Daily Show. It gives gives you quite the chuckle. I read this with my 7 year old high level reader son and he though it was belly laugh funny. I didn't get quite the fall on the floor/can't catch your breath peals of laughter out of the chapters on such subjects at litter box issues and how to win against your toys that he did but it is good for a giggle. My son would gi ...more
Chazzi
Mar 09, 2016 Chazzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
An instruction manual for cats written by cats. Fluffy and Bonkers give tips and dos and don'ts for a variety of situations that cats face in their daily lives of coexisting with humans.

Consider it a 'Dear Abyssinian' meets 'Hints from Havana Brown' helping guide. Covering such topics as 'The Art of Swiping Food', 'The Laws of Petting', 'Kitty Litter, Explained' and more. All to help the feline keep the upper paw in their domicile.

This is actually a parody (as stated in the title) of a self-help
Alyson
Dec 26, 2015 Alyson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Written 'by cats' for cats, this book provides humans with insight into how cats think, behave and operate. Recomended for cat lovers.
Nannette
Feb 22, 2015 Nannette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, animals-cats
An exceptionally funny book alledgedly written by two cats. Unfortunately I found it very hard at times to relate those two a**holes to the sweet calico moggy resting on my lap during the whole time I read this book. Devious they are indeed! I had to deduct one star because the version I bought didn't have the illustrations in it. Still, I strongly recommend this book to all cat lovers looking for a good laugh.
Angela
Jan 31, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book for the cat lovers amongst us! My cat learnt a lot about how to be a cat and is putting what he learned into action!
Cal
Jul 27, 2011 Cal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting.... Coffee Table book.. It's not particularly engrossing, but does describe certain cat behaviors to a T. I can relate to many of the things written in here. My favorite sections were on how to wake their person up, the 'window tv' and the one about finicky eating. ...The one about the vacuum was funny too... I liked those kinds of entries much better than "cats in history" which were so ludicrous that there wasn't much point in reading them.... It would have been better if they were ...more
Bladestryke
Jan 02, 2015 Bladestryke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They let the cat out of the bag with this one! As a lowly kitty slave it was a treat to see inside my furry masters minds. Funny and smart now maybe I can at least try to get the upper paw with these guys!
Sheila Beaumont
Nov 26, 2014 Sheila Beaumont rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, funny, cats
The most hilarious book about cats I've ever read!
Carolyn
Cute & fluffy parody
Kieran
Oct 22, 2014 Kieran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious! I highly recommend this book to any cat lover.
April
Apr 26, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We did not sit down and read this book through from cover to cover. We flipped and picked. There were some that were quite funny, some laugh out loud, and some not so much...but certainly for any cat owner...giggles will happen! And...it's good to know what's going through their devious, furry little heads! ..and if you choose not to read it, so be it...but...watch out when you sit in that chair! :)
April
Apr 18, 2016 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-books
I've read this book what feels like a thousand times since receiving it a few years ago, and it never fails to make me laugh aloud, usually at something new I discovered. I find the few cat humor books I've read passable at best (which is why I avoid most of them), but this book reaches heights that can only be described as sublime. Anyone with a cat should read this book, you'll thank me.
Vacuums & Catnip: The best section from this book 1 9 Mar 22, 2009 01:13PM
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning
  • Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • Stuff On My Cat: The Book
  • All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat
  • The Dangerous Book for Dogs: A Parody
  • Sorry I Barfed on Your Bed (and Other Heartwarming Letters from Kitty)
  • The Cat Owner's Manual
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • The Dumpster Diver
  • The Belly Book
  • The Pig of Happiness
  • Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet
  • Simon's Cat (Simon's Cat, #1)
  • The Dandelion's Tale
  • I Am Maru
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Cat
  • Cats' Letters to Santa
THE DEVIOUS BOOK FOR CATS

Cats have nine lives. Shouldnt they be lived to the fullest?

Domesticated does not mean docile. The ho-hum routine of sleep, eat, eat, and sleep is no way for any creature who ruled Egypt for a millennium to spend her day. Its high time felines everywhere woke up from their cat naps and grabbed lifes strings with both paws.

The Devious Book for Cats offers todays discerning