Start by marking “The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes” as Want to Read:
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading endocrinologist and an expert dietitian to offer a Best Life program tailored to the needs of people with diabetes and pre-diabetes.

Coping with the unique challenges of living
Published November 3rd 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 12th 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Susana
In my country pre-diabetes doesn't even exist - officially. I was fortunate to end up at a doctor who spotted it in a blood test and who required further testing afterwards (OK, I was lucky to be able to afford private medical care and I think this doctor really is above the rest around here. He's a bit of a Dr. House: he's also mad and rides a motorbike). It can be reversed but you have to live pretty much like a person who has diabetes type 2. Not everyone will have symptoms with pre-diabetes. ...more
Satia
It is frightening to think that this book will be hugely popular given that it has misinformation that can put the diabetic's health and well-being at risk. Everything this book offers is available for free online. See my full review for better options:

Whatever else you do, if you are pre-diabetic, have diabetes, and/or are considering buying this book for yourself or a loved one, do not bother.
Gloria
I always find Bob Greene encouraging and helpful. At times, he gets mired down in the details. Here he has very good, basic advice such as exercise a lot and drink lots of water, but it seems wearisome when he starts talking about 7 grams of this and 1/4 cup of that. Just lots of food and exercise and medical measurements referred to. If you like to count carbs, this one is for you. Generally thorough but with a special emphasis on exercise.
Malia
Mostly the same stuff found elsewhere, but I liked the baby steps program. One thing at a time, then get used to it before adding more. I also liked the exercise chart.
Victoria
Snagged out of the bookmobile, this is my first exposure to a managing-diabetes book, and I like it. It successfully relates the need for exercise and dieting in ways I can understand; it's very motivating and helps me understand the diabetic processes in the body in ways never explained to me by health professionals.
Fredrick Danysh
The author describes diabetes and how it affects the body. Several management techniques, menus, diets, and exercises are presented. There are also several diabetes friendly recipes. Different drug treatments and their effects are discussed.
Heather
It wouldn't hurt if all of us ate better and exercised. Great book for people who have been diagnosed with insulin resistance or any type of diabetes.
Caramia
Jan 13, 2011 Caramia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just reading to get info. about the kind of diet a person who is watching their sugar intake. Very well written and easy to understand.
Heather
Another book I picked up about pre-diabetes and diabetes. I just skimmed it, but it seemed to have some good info.
Tina Tormey
Clear, easy and comprehensive guide to understanding diabetes and pre-diabetes.
K.D. Bissonette
very good book with lots of great and helpful ideas for dealing with diabetes.
B
Barely skimmed.
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Robert Wright
Robert Wright marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Lilian
Lilian marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
David L. Carroll
David L. Carroll is currently reading it
May 11, 2014
Barbie
Barbie added it
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bob Greene is a personal trainer who writes on health and weight loss. He works and writes with Oprah Winfrey.

More about Bob Greene...
The Best Life Diet Make The Connection: 10 Steps To A Better Body   And A Better Life 20 Years Younger: Look Younger, Feel Younger, Be Younger! Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover Get with the Program!: Getting Real About Your Weight, Health, and Emotional Well-Being