Start by marking “Babes in the Woods: Hiking, Camping & Boating with Babies and Young Children” as Want to Read:
Babes in the Woods: Hiking, Camping & Boating with Babies and Young Children
Preview

Babes in the Woods: Hiking, Camping & Boating with Babies and Young Children

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  16 reviews
There's a lot of information out there about introducing school-age kids to the outdoors, but what about babies and toddlers? Author Jennifer Aist bridges that gap and shares her tried and tested advice for active new parents. Babes in the Woods introduces outdoorsy moms and dads to the joy and vigor of taking babies and toddlers into the woods at a very early age. Well-or ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Mountaineers Books

To ask other readers questions about Babes in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babes in the Woods

Erica
Absolutely awesome! Being pregnant and having two kids under the age of 5, this book is a HUGE resource. It truly is the only book we have seen of it's kind, with a wealth of information for growing families who aren't willing to give up going outdoors. It was especially helpful for those who, for obvious reasons, don't have time to track down every outdoor book that "might" have a blurb about scenarios with small children and infants. A big thanks to the author and all contributors!
Lori
I think this could be useful if camping/boating/backpacking is a way of life for you and you want to fit kids into it. I however do not enjoy being dropped off on a beach to fend for myself so I guess I'll be staying in cabins until Sophia can drive!
Sara
I didn't find this nearly as helpful as some of the reviewers I read did. Maybe I was looking for a magic solution to hiking with a toddler and preschooler that doesn't exist. I was excited to find a book about outdoor activities geared to young kids (preschool and below) because a lot of what I have found in my reading is geared toward older kids and doesn't address specifics of young kids needs/abilities.

I felt like there was a heavy focus on infants, perhaps in part because they are in many
Hafidha
Sep 24, 2010 Hafidha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of young children, parents who want to spend more time outdoors with their kids
This author wastes no time - instead of spending pages and pages extolling the virtues of outdoor activity, she jumps in - 3 pages in and she's telling you how to determine whether your little one is too cold or overheated, and what clothing materials and shoes to look for in layering for both warm and cold weather camping. Lots of tips on how to get what you need inexpensively. There are sections on clothing, food, sun, bugs, dirt, sleep, safety - also transportation methods, trip planning, day ...more
Marni
Aug 27, 2010 Marni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I didn't read this cover to cover, but did a lot of scanning throughout. It was after taking 6 kids to camp for a week, and I wish I had noticed this at the library before we went. Lots of good suggestions and advice on everything from basics like clothing, food, bugs, and dirt to transportation, backpacking, and hiking. The last section of the book is on connecting with nature and includes some really great (not cheesy) activities. (Does anyone else read suggested activities sometimes and think ...more
Garrett Trubey
This book has a lot of great information, as a soon to be first time parent I wanted to get excited about being able to take my kiddo out in the wild and not be "stuck" at home. Although this advice seems very common sense based (and it is) it gave me some great ideas that I might not have come up with on my own. I'm really excited for my little one to arrive so we can test all this stuff out. Thanks Jennifer for the great book.
Jenn S
A women sharing her experiences (seemingly very experienced). The boating portion is sparse, see another book for that, but all the other information is so helpful and good. Not only will it help with logistics, but it also has some activities to do once out there. Anyone who wants to go outdoors with their kids should definitely read this book.
Child960801
Nice and informative. I enjoyed it. The author assumes that the reader already has a familiarity with camping and so focuses on the differences involved with bring babies or young children along. Not to thick, all practical and with lots of good checklists in the back. I might need to buy this one.
Hayden
Not much startling information here, but some helpful tips on things to consider and gear to get when hiking, camping, biking, and even boating with your infant-preschooler. Includes a section on "exceptional children," which is cool, and gets bonus points for the crazy-haired baby on the cover.
Amber
Nothing ground breaking but a good book with great suggestions and a ton of enthusiasm. Reading this made me very excited that my husband, my 9 month old, and I already have an overnight cross country ski trip planned. I would have had to plan a trip soon otherwise.
Susiane
I read this book out because I cant wait to take my daughter camping this summer. Great tips and info. They give cheap ideas on how to make it work. I loved that since Im trying hard to be frugal.
Susan
It was ok. Lots of talk about clothes.
I liked the meal planning section because it tells you portions for small groups. I would borrow it again before a trip if we ever go on a trip!
Mary Robbins
Stellar book if you want really want to know what to pack for camping with babies/toddlers. She's very concerned about safety, but not in the helicopter parent type way.
Leah
Very comprehensive, and written for people who are intermediate-to-experienced campers/backpackers. Useful and made me excited to take the kiddo to the woods!
Ross
Helpful tips and reassurances from an Alaskan parent who brings her young children along on outdoor excursions.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Giedrius
Giedrius marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Linds Evans
Linds Evans marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Sofie Q
Sofie Q is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2014
Sara Clark
Sara Clark marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Joneymi Rodriguez
Joneymi Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jennifer Aist has been taking her four children into the backcountry since they were each newborns. She is passionate about exploring, discovering and connecting with nature. As a family, the Aists have logged hundreds of miles on trails, rivers and oceans. Jennifer and her husband both volunteer for Alaska Search and Rescue Dogs. Jennifer works as a Lactation Consultant and the director of parent ...more
More about Jennifer Aist...
Babes in the Woods