Start by marking “Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers, #5)” as Want to Read:
Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers, #5)

Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers #5)

Elvis has left the building . . . and his shoes have followed suit!

No holiday in tiny Salt Lick, Texas, is more revered than January 8th—Elvis's birthday! To commemorate the grand occasion, Hogg's Drive-In—where the King enjoyed many a burger on the road to fame and fortune—is displaying an “actual” pair of Elvis's blue suede shoes. That is, until some heel without a soul
Published July 21st 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes

Traci
Dec 19, 2010 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dixie Cash" is actually the writing team of sisters Pam Cumbie and Jeffery McClanahan (yes, you read that right, her name is Jeffery!). They started out a few years back and I've enjoyed all their books, so when I saw they had this one out, I knew I had to pick it up. Before you start any of their Domestic Equalizer series, be warned - these are NOT high-brow literature. If you enjoy a cute, quick, slightly romantic read, however, they'll be right up your alley.

The "case" this time is a bit on
Debra
Mar 25, 2010 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, so these books have to be just as representative of Texas as Stephanie Plum is of New Jersey, but this series still makes me happy as I read the improbable adventures of Debbie Sue and Edwina in keeping Salt Lick safe for livin."
Kwoomac
I actually picked up this book because I thought the title of another of authors' books had a fun title, I Can't Make You Love Me but I Can Make You Leave. This one preceded it in the series so I thought why not.

The series follows two women who own a detective agency in a small town in Texas. They've been at it for a while, this is book #5, and one of them sweeps up footprints tracked through spilled flour at the scene of the crime. I guess I was not in the mood to read about some wacky woman sc
Rachel Sides
Feb 17, 2017 Rachel Sides rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debbie Sue and Edwina save Elvis's blue suede shoes.
Kathleen Hagen
Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes, by Dixie Cash, B. narrated by Peggity Price, produced by Recorded Books, downloaded from audible.com.

The fifth in the Domestic Equalizers/Style Station books with Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina Perkins-Martin off on another case and also matching up new friends. Saltlick Texas is having an Elvis festival to which all kinds of Elvis impersonators are expected to come. And some anonymous person, supposedly from a museum, offers to lend them for this fes
Sandie
May 27, 2009 Sandie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dixie-cash
This was an enjoyable book....the last couple of chapters and the epilogue were my favorite part! I love the idea about Elvis Presley that was worked in!

As with each book prior...it moved slow for me. But they were good books, I laughed aloud and enjoyed them. I think I like Edwina and her outspoken attitude the most! I feel like her character has become much louder since the earlier books and Debbie Sue has become more low key.

The mystery while different and lasting the entire book didn't seem
Vickie
Sep 03, 2009 Vickie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
I didn't think this one was as good as the past books in the series have been, but it was still highly enjoyable. I do love the colorful language, the cocktails, the matchmaking, the mystery and definitely the characters. The combination of the Dixie Cash writing team and the delightful Peggity Price giving voice to Debbie Sue and Edwina is winning one fer shure.
I know the formula by now, there is a new girl character, a new boy character, new boy and new girl tussle and eventually get together
Megan Westfield
Debbie Sue and Edwina are forty-something best friends and co-owners of two businesses (the Styling Station beauty salon, and Domestic Equalizers private investigation service) in the tiny town of Salt Lick in Western Texas. Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes opens with the disappearance of a pair of blue suede shoes that the town of Salt Lick had borrowed for the town’s annual Elvis celebration. Debbie Sue and Edwina must play matchmaker with the two reporters that have come to town to c ...more
Jill
Oct 17, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I didn't realize this book was part of a series when I picked it up at the library, the cover and title just jumped out at me and I decided to give it a try. The setting is a small town in West Texas where two best friends run both a beauty shop and work as private investigators. This is the fifth mystery/crime they are solving together. Salt Lick, Texas is holding a birthday celebration for Elvis to raise money for a hamburger restaurant rumored to be among his favorite places to eat. Elvis's b ...more
Eva
Apr 16, 2010 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Elvis' birthday party in Salt Lake, TX, a little town where the King devoured the hamburgers at Hogg's Drive-In and sang and loved before he became famous. A mysterious museum curator has donated the famous Blue Suede Shoes as the main exhibit in a weekend long birthday bash. Right before thousands of fans are due to descend upon the tiny town, someone swipes the Blue Suede Shoes and the Domestic Equalizers take on the task to bring the criminal to justice and replace the shoes.

Of course, t
Fay Ann Hollcroft
I'm not gonna rate this book, due to the fact that I never finished it. I've tried really hard to finish these books. It's just that every time I think of picking up these & continuing to read, I end up instead burry my head under the covers & sleep. I'm depressed enough, I don't need books to help with that. Don't get me wrong I really like these characters ESPECIALLY Edwina! I'm just not into mysteries. I've come to think of these books as CLEAN southern mysteries. There really isn't m ...more
Shannon Adamson
Ok, the reason I bought this book because it had "shoes" in the title, and a pair of shoes on the cover. And for those of you who don't know me, I AM A SHOE WHORE and proud of it. So, go to find out that this book ISN'T about purchasing shoes, I was disappointed. The overall story was good (it even went into detail about Boise, ID where I live and the local college and a local rodeo AND the local newspaper). It had a little romance in it which I liked, but I do not think I will read the rest of ...more
Carole
Oct 13, 2014 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
When Elvis first started out, he performed in many small cities and towns around the South. One place, according to this story, is that Elvis performed in Salt Lick, Texas, and made a long-lasting relationship with one of the residents, who buys him his first pair of blue suede shoes. Elvis loved the burgers at the local eatery so years later the owner organizes an Elvis birthday celebration with a pair of Elvis' blue suede shoes as the center draw to the small town's festivities. Then the shoes ...more
Ann Marie
I fell in love with the Domestic Equalizer books with the first book in the series. Number four had me wondering why. This one redeemed itself a little and I can't decide if it was because of the Elvis theme or because of Avery, the reporter from Fort Worth who comes to Salt Lick to cover the Elvis events and ends up causing a fire in the lobby of her hotel just by using the elevator. This book was a nice easy read that reminded me that friends and family is what really makes a persons world gre ...more
Fiona
Feb 25, 2013 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, texas
Elvis is alive! At least memories of him are alive.

Debbie Sue & Edwina have been called in to assist Sheriff Billy Don finding Elvis' missing blue suede shoes that are on display for the Elvis birthday celebration. But, more importantly, Edwina is playing matchmaker with Sam, the Dallas Morning News reporter, with Avery, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reporter.

This is more of a romance than a mystery but it is a fun book to read. West Texas comes alive with Debbie Sue's and Edwina's escapades.
Penny Ramirez
This ended up being a funny, pleasing book - although for the first 50 pages I had my doubts. Even though this is book 5 in a series, it was easy to follow the action, and no real backstory was required to understand the main characters. Most of the incidental characters were cardboard caricatures, and one in particular was so spectacularly stupid that it kept pulling me out of the story.

However, it did have the requisite happily-ever-after for both the romance and the "mystery" that the Domesti
Jan 08, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this was part of a series until I got to goodreads.com, there were only a few references to other mysteries the ladies had solved but they were not needed to understand the story for this book. I may pick one of the other ones up if I ever need a light, easy read.

Also, I thought it was extremely appropriate that I finished this book which had to do with an Elvis birthday on the 75th anniversary of his birthday! (1/8/10)
Mendy
Jan 22, 2009 Mendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a way to end my summer reading, with my favorite author!! This book took me literally 24 hours! It is a silly, over the top, total generalization of Texas that I toatlly enjoyed. It is more of a reality show, following Debbie Sue and Edwina through their daily lives and the messes they make, than a who done it.
Love the mysterious character introduced at the end! Who doesn't love a book about Elvis' shoes!
Thank ya' Thank ya' very much Dixie Cash!
Suzatm
Apr 13, 2015 Suzatm rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not as enjoyable as the previous books. I had a hard time getting thru this one, where I quickly read thru the others. Not really much of a mystery nor was there any real effort on the part of the main characters to solve it. This book just meandered slowly with little humor and the ladies just fell into the resolution instead of solving it. Disappointing.
Loreta
May 15, 2011 Loreta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Onced again the Domestic Equalizers had me laughing all the way. This time they are callED on to check out a ghost, and also meet a mentalist.
These two ladies could easily be some of my best friends.
(I have found that I should not take a Dixie Cash book to the doctor's office to read while I wait. It can become downright embarrassing. LOL)
Gizzard
Mar 08, 2015 Gizzard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Pretty weak book in this series that isn't particularly strong to begin with. Throw in some gratuitous gay stereotype jokes, jingoism, and worship of small towns (I've lived in a lot of places and you have good and bad in both, small town people tend to think they are nicer, more generous, etc.) Add in a silly and not very interesting mystery...
Sarah Wade
Apr 22, 2010 Sarah Wade rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously- any book by this title just has to be read. I hope its good!

....... realized after starting it that it was part of a series. I had already read book 1 and although it was ok, I remembered I didn't like all the language.

The few chapters didn't thrill me, and the language bugged me, so I decided to stop reading. Too bad- it was a cute title.
Morgan griggs
Dec 19, 2012 Morgan griggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this book, even though i'm not a huge fan of Elvis. i thought it was funny. i mean to have his blue suede shoes. disappear right before the have this big elvis thing.
i cant wait to read more books by dixie cash. i love the Debbie Sue and her cursing. haha so fuuny. and Edwina who wants to fix up everyone. haha all in all i really enjoyed this book.
Pat
Oct 27, 2010 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read the previous Dixie Cash books and liked them more than this one. I liked it well enough to finish reading, but was disappointed overall with the quality and the profanity of one of the main characters. In the previous books this character used profanity occasionally, but in this book, the least little problem brought out the f-bomb. Why the change?
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Not really a mystery at all but romance. Ed and Debbie Joe are funny gals. They're also great matchmakers. Nothing bad really happens in this one either. I was hoping for more excitement. And I wasn't surprised who stole Elvis's blue suede shoes.
Deb
Jan 19, 2013 Deb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book club selection. I have read many bleh book club selections. But this rates up there with some of the worst. 291 pages of bad comedic banter. So full of stereotypical characters, situations, and dialog that I began to wonder....maybe it's meant to be a parody of bad writing???
Gay
Aug 02, 2010 Gay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good, but not as good as the previous books in this series. The story was slow getting started, rather than getting my attention from page one. There were some good recipes and facts included at the end of the book...
Ann Iverson
I read this for a book club. It was okay but not something I'd highly recommend. The ending was cute but that was about it. I haven't read other books in the series. They didn't spend much time trying to solve the mystery.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
love this series by the sisters that write as Dixie Cash. they have small town Texas down perfectly!
Gina
Oct 23, 2010 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing after loving the earlier books in this series..this one just wasn't up to the quality of the earlier ones.
  • Game of Fear (Montgomery Justice #3)
  • Redemption (Blood and Honor, #3)
  • The Diva's Guide to Selling Your Soul
  • Cook the Books (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #5)
  • Broken Places (Rachel Goddard Mystery #3)
  • Two Time
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • Fool for Love
  • Reconstructing Natalie
  • A Change of Heart (Perfect, Indiana #3)
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Playing God (Joe Burgess, #1)
  • The Koala of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #2)
  • Gone 'til November
  • Pillow Talk (Love, New Orleans Style, #2)
  • You Dropped a Blonde on Me (Ex Trophy Wives #1)
Dixie Cash is Pamela Cumbie and her sister Jeffery McClanahan. They grew up in West Texas during the great oil boom, an era filled with "real-life fictional" characters who cry to be written about. Pam has always had a zany sense of humor, and Jeffery has always had a dry wit. Surrounded by cowboys and steeped in country-western music, when they can stop laughing long enough, they work together cr ...more
More about Dixie Cash...

Domestic Equalizers (8 books)
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1)
  • My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
  • I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3)
  • Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4)
  • Our Red Hot Romance Is Leaving Me Blue (Domestic Equalizers)
  • I Can't Make You Love Me, but I Can Make You Leave
  • You Can Have My Heart, but Don't Touch My Dog (The Domestic Equalizers Book 8)