Start by marking “Fab: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop--From Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  12 reviews
"According to Neil Gershenfeld, the next big thing is personal fabrication - the ability to design and produce your own products, in your own home, with a machine that combines consumer electronics and industrial tools. Personal fabricators (PF's) are about to revolutionize the world just as personal computers did a generation ago. PF's will bring the programmability of th ...more
Published July 31st 2008 by Basic Books (first published April 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fab

BakuDreamer
I had looked at this before. I'm not nearly as excited about this as this guy is. This isn't ' moleculr fabrication ' keep in mind. It's machine tool + computer control , basically shop class + the internet. Very vague overall ( the whole thing still is really )
Bill Leach
Pretty lightweight. Lots of stories of pointless little projects, many of which have no connection to computer aided fabrication. The only really interesting parts were stories of low cost Indian technology.
Brandon
I skipped a few parts throughout the book when it started talking about programming and such, but overall it was a pretty good book. An MIT professor talks about how he has helped build little workshops called 'Fab Labs' (Fab short for Personal Fabrication) all around the world. In these Fab labs people can come in and design a range of customized items that machines will then cut/create into the desired results. I was not quite sure how hard it was to build such things, but Gershenfeld has set ...more
Mariko_suu
Since working as a PR for the FabCafe in shibuya, Tokyo, my interest in Fab has been increasing. "Fab" itself is untranslated English word, and customers and we use "Fab" in Japanese too. However, the fact is that none of us cannot explain what Fab exactly mean and where Fab can lead us.

I find the book "Fab" very interesting as it provides various views not only on fabrication but also the evolution of the technology itself. Putting myself in a business for a while, I was beginning to take a wo
Chris Boette
I've been excited about the idea of 3D printers, and localized manufacturing more generally, for some time now. My intrigue has been limited to pining for expensive things, following blogs in a haze, and dreaming of What I Could Do while staring at the cloudy sky. I came across Fab somewhere, and picked it up from my local library.

Physics PhD, Bell Labs alum, MIT prof and head of the Center for Atoms and Bits there--the author has more than enough credentials to allay my concerns regarding the
Paul Cheney
This book considers how the industrial revolution has almost gone full circle.

From the early days of artisan and craft production, to the massive factories that can turn out numerous copies of the same item, the future of production will start to be possible from your desk or office.

He considers the new rapid prototyping machines and looks at the way the developing world can use these tools to make their own lives easier. The author goes into some detail on some basic projects that anyone can un
Douglas Summers-Stay
By "personal fabrication" it means 3D printers and other computer-controlled tools to build whatever you can design. It doesn't mean "telling lies about yourself." It gives lots of examples of the one-of-a-kind things people design for themselves to use, such as a portable scream box that you can scream into when you feel the need without people around you hearing and save the sound for when you get home.
The ultimate idea is for these 3D printers to be able to print out working copies of themsel
Adih Respati
I gambled when I decided to buy a book on computer-related invention, but it is, now I know, a good bet. Gershenfield argues that the age of personal computer is near its end, and now comes the age of personal fabrication --where every individual can manufacture any object they wish. Here, Gershenfield describes what his prophetic laboratory in his MIT office is capable of doing --and soon to be public purchase.
Smellsofbikes
Long on MBA-friendly short stories about people who benefit or could benefit from personal fab equipment, short on details about fab equipment. Good if you know next to nothing about it and want to read a bunch of heart-warming examples of how prototype fabrication can affect individuals.
Jeremy
Sep 16, 2007 Jeremy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tech heads & diy-ers
why do we have to haul all our stuff across the pacific? this book shows it's not necessary .. if more of us tackle the challenge making our own stuff.
Nicholas
Robtee
Fab! Fab! Fab! Kids in Ghana programming a CNC machine to build a bicycle! Awesome!
Yiran
Yiran marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Prashant Manral
Prashant Manral marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
biafra
biafra marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Aaron Acklen
Aaron Acklen marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Paul Acampora
Paul Acampora marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Hans Gremmen
Hans Gremmen marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Greg Cooper
Greg Cooper is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Stanley
Stanley marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Jonathan Jeckell
Jonathan Jeckell marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Lauren Bartlett
Lauren Bartlett marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Rachael Mundy
Rachael Mundy marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Chongho Lee
Chongho Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: FAB 2 9 Jan 16, 2014 06:00PM
  • Robot: Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • Turtles, Termites, and Traffic Jams: Explorations in Massively Parallel Microworlds
  • Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Synergetics: Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking
  • Mining The Sky: Untold Riches From The Asteroids, Comets, And Planets
  • Shaping Things
  • Frame Analysis: An Essay on the Organization of Experience
  • The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci (Volume 2)
  • Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • The Problem of the Media: U.S. Communication Politics in the Twenty-First Century
  • Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict
  • The Imperative of Responsibility: In Search of an Ethics for the Technological Age
  • Things a Computer Scientist Rarely Talks About
  • The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach
When Things Start to Think The Nature of Mathematical Modeling The Physics of Information Technology Als de dingen gaan denken