Start by marking “Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #21)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #21)

Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #21)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  21 reviews
B&B hostess Judith McMonigle Flynn and her closer-than-a-sibling cousin Renie would be crazy to turn down a free, 1930s-themed South Pacific islands cruise aboard the magnificent San Rafael, the pride of the Cruz Cruises fleet. Unfortunately, the fabulous pre-launch party is as far out to sea as the passengers are likely to get, after the body of their VIP host, Maggli...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Avon (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man Docking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man Docking

Tobey
Being an avid fan of the Alpine series, I looked for something else by this author...

It is a decent read, but if you are gonna have a cruise ship on the cover, I expect to be on the boat more than one day...

It seemed as if she was going out of her way to show she knows San Francisco...

Also there were so many characters that you had to keep track of, that it lead to mass confusion and you were glad that the body count helped limit the cast...

At the end, the killer came out of left field mainly be...more
VJ
What a bummer. A free cruise turns to murder and mayhem in this story. With a throwback to the Art Deco period, there is a cast of characters straight out of an old detective movie. The only character missing was a gangster!

I kept waiting for one character to get fingered, but alas, he was innocent. Oh well. Cute story, but rather slow-paced and too many characters with too many motives for me to figure it out.

All I can say is that I hope poor Judith gets a really nice anniversary trip with he...more
Pam
AUTHOR: Daheim, Mary
TITLE: Dead Man Docking
DATE READ: 05/08/2014
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Mystery/2005/Avon Books/292 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: #21 in B&B series
TIME/PLACE: 2004/WA and San Francisco
CHARACTERS: Judith McMonigle FLynn -- B&B owner; Serena "Renie" Jones/Graphic Artist & cousin to Judith

FIRST LINES: "Judith McMonigle Flynn winced, flinched, & grimaced as she held the phone as far as possible from her ear. Cousin Renie was screaming obscenities at...more
Christine
This was a great B & B mystery from Daheim. As delightful as Judith and Renie are, it's always the supporting characters that make or break the story. These were fabulous--especially Rhoda & Rick. I hope they make a return appearance at some point in the future!
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
I don't like books that need to have a cast of characters at the beginning. It makes the book too complicated. After reading the book, I realized that my first thoughts about the book were correct and it was too complicated to be interesting and enjoyable.
Pat Roseman
One of the last ones I read. They're okay. It just seemed like the stories felt the same after so many of them.
Drebbles
Bed and Breakfast owner Judith McMonigle Flynn badly needs a vacation and when her cousin Serena (Renie) is invited to go on a free 1930's themed cruise, Judith agrees to go along. But murder has a habit of finding Judith and before the cruise can even get underway, the body of their host, Magglio Cruz, is found stuffed in a piano. With nothing else to do until their ship sails, Judith and Renie, along with the help of fellow passengers Rick and Rhoda St. George, decide to investigate the murder...more
George
#21 in the bed & breakfast mystery series with Judith Flynn and her cousin Renie Jones. Normally set in Seattle, this one is set San Francisco as Judith is accompanying Renie on a cruise as special guests of the owner. Before the cruise can start, the owner is murdered than soon after two others. Instead of a much needed vacation, Judith finds herself in the middle of a multiple murder investigation. Judith and Renie find themselves working with another couple who also solve crimes. There ar...more
Meg Hadley Trager
Love this series w/ its quirky characters!
Susan
When Renie Jones is offered a free cruise and her husband is unable go make it, she invites her cousin Judith Flynn. They fly to San Francisco, where the opening night gala ends in disaster. Stuck ashore, Judith investigates, but this time the cousins have competition from a husband-and-wife team, Rick and Rhoda St. George, who seem to be channeling the famed thirties pair, Nick and Nora Charles.
Erin
May 24, 2008 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans, humor fans
This was a pretty standard Mary Daheim mystery: Judith & her cousin Renie accidentally get mired in a series of murders, this time when they are in San Francisco to take a cruise. I got a few chuckles and enjoyed the book overall. A light read good for when you don't have the energy to tackle something substantial.
Dawn
I really enjoy this series. The main character's interaction with her crazy cousin crack me up. This book is set in San Francisco so the author has created a whole cast of quirky characters. Fun, easy reading.
Natalie C.
A good read. Not extremely active at the beginning bust easy enough to get into. The end continued on after the story had wrapped up. Currently reading another book by this author much more impressed.
Katelyn
My favorite by this author so far. The St Georges are great relief from the same old same old and provide comic relief.
Lee Margaret
It was pretty interesting but I don't think this is a classic mystery. It is set in WA which is different.
Becky
This book is like watching an old black and white light-hearted mystery on TV--all in good ways!
The Twins
Too many characters, storyline doesn't grab you, even 3 murders couldn't excite me...
Susan Hanberry
Don't bother! I almost always finish what I start to read, but this is dreck!
Sheri Bouvier
This book was tedious. Was glad to be finished.
Tom Jenckes
Didn't care for this one. Terrible.
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Danica Delos santos
Danica Delos santos is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Barb Danielson
Barb Danielson marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Laqueen
Laqueen marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Linda Harmon
Linda Harmon marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Kathy Werner pritchard
Kathy Werner pritchard is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2014
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters Mystery, #6)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Bell, Book, and Scandal (Jane Jeffry, #14)
  • Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)
  • Where There's a Will (Gideon Oliver, #12)
  • Sweet Revenge  (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #14)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.
After getting her B.A., she wor...more
More about Mary Daheim...
Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #1) The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord Mystery, #1) Fowl Prey (A Bed and Breakfast Mysery, #2) Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #4) The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord Mystery #2)