Start by marking “Good Dog. Stay.” as Want to Read:
Good Dog. Stay.

Good Dog. Stay.

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,344 Ratings  ·  448 Reviews
"The life of a good dog is like the life of a good person, only shorter and more compressed," writes Pulitzer Prize-winning author Anna Quindlen about her beloved black Labrador retriever, Beau. With her trademark wisdom and humor, Quindlen reflects on how her life has unfolded in tandem with Beau's, and on the lessons she's learned by watching him: to roll with the punche ...more
Audio CD
Published November 20th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Good Dog. Stay., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Dog. Stay.

☮Karen
I wish this was longer. Just as I was settling in to listen to a great Quindlen piece, not wanting to listen to what's on the news or read my other two books, it was over. (It's less than 45 minutes on audio.) A sad and moving eulogy of sorts, following the euthanasia of her beloved lab, Beau. I'm a cat person but I know too well the same emotions expressed here. So beautifully described by Anna Q.
❀Julie
Feb 26, 2017 ❀Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“In a world that seems so uncertain, in lives that seem sometimes to ricochet from challenge to upheaval and back again, a dog can be counted on in a way that’s true of little else.”

I have read the author’s works before but this bittersweet memoir about her dog, Beau, gave me a renewed appreciation of her writing. It is less than 100 pages, many of which are filled with full length dog photos, but a profound read. It resonated so much with me and my own dogs that it was very personal, and a remi
Amanda
Jul 22, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I acquired "Good Dog. Stay" at a book swap. I am a big time pet lover and I have two dogs (as well as three cats) myself. I was attracted by the pictue of the adorable lab on the cover and looked forward to reading the author's memoirs of her beloved dog. However, I got through the book in one very short sitting (about 45 minutes, if that), and closed the book thinking, "What was the point of that?" Easily one-third of the books pages are random pictures of dogs, and while they are certainly cut ...more
Jan Rice
Just a little book I had around the house. It's 82 pages, at least half of them pictures, so I just sat down and read it--the life and death of a beloved dog. I've never read anything by Anna Quindlen before. The lady can write: astute observations, laugh-out-loud, tears-in-the-eyes.

I think I must have gotten it for my mother. In her final years I obtained all her books. She read Anna Quindlen, but this one looked like it had never been read.

...and now let the bombardment by ads for dog books b
Cindy Huffman
Apr 29, 2012 Cindy Huffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eileen
Feb 27, 2017 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago, and just have a memory of loving it! I think there were many zingers that pierced your heart, as well as some rich laugh out loud moments. We don't even have a dog, but I've given this to many friends and family members over the years, and they've all agreed with my assessment!
Lucy
Dec 20, 2007 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been owned by a dog
Shelves: justread
first of all, you must know ahead of time that this is really an illustrated essay padded to become a commercial book.It is extremely short. That said, it is still wonderful even though I know that if her name was not a proven financial success this book would never exist. It would have instead been a page in a magazine.
Quindlen manages to write a love story about a dog without being maudlin. she connects her dog's life with the life markers of her family. His puppy hood and her children's chil
Sharron
Jan 05, 2008 Sharron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, 2008-books-read
I picked this up at the library and read it in about 45 minutes. Most of that time was spent looking at the pictures. It is a slight book, really more like a magazine article, depicting the author's life with her dogs and in particular one dog named Beau. While I'm a sucker for any book about a dog, I was disappointed in this one. I felt like it was just an excuse to publish a book by a well-known author and have a really adorable dog on the cover hoping that people like me would buy it. I reall ...more
Melea Rose-Waters
Jun 03, 2010 Melea Rose-Waters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Read this in probably an hour or less total. It's a very sweet short story of life with the author's dog.

There are only 2 things that bothered me: one, the book is filled with pictures, which is great, but they are random pictures of random dogs. I would have liked it better had it been filled with pictures of Beau (the dog the story is about). And two, the author says she's never one of those people who treated her dog like a child or referred to herself as "mommy" to her dog..... yet she chos
LindaW
Very sweet, but short, memorial to her late dog Beau. As always, I love her writing and could put myself in her place because I, we, have traveled the same path with our beloved dogs. Got a little teary, but not too bad. A short story, but just long enough to not get too maudlin.
Reese
Jan 20, 2010 Reese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I read any work written by Judith Viorst, Ellen Goodman, or Anna Quindlen, I have already decided that I'll like it or I'll REALLY like it. Their track records are good; and regardless of the work's topic, length, or intended audience, I feel as if each of these writers runs in the lane beside mine, smells my thoughts and experiences, and artfully records them. They articulate the truths that millions of us less articulate folks love to see in print.

A "little" book with wise words and ph
Joann
Jan 14, 2008 Joann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Susie Pedigo
For anyone who is a dog lover, this book is significantly moving. I loved it! It's short (a scant 82 pages), half of which are pictures; yet it speaks to the heart. Anna Quindlen, an accomplished writer, shares her personal love of her life with Beau, her Labrador retriever. Beautifully written, Quindlen is right on target with the lessons we learn from our family pets.
Marsha
Feb 07, 2008 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: justread
All you children of mine out there laughing because your mom read another dog book---Anna Quindlen is a wonderful writer. I read it in 1/2 hour. It should have been an essay, but she writes so poignantly about her dog and her children,too. It's about philosophy, a life well-lived, seize the moment, you only live once kind of philosophy. And she learned that from her dog!!
Lynn G.
A short, sweet, love-filled memoir about the author's dog, Beau. Quindlen's beloved Labrador Retriever's death sends the author into a reflective frame of mind contemplating the relationship between dog and human. She doesn't anthropomorphize Beau, doesn't regard him as any more or less than the family's beloved, quirky, loyal, and ever-present pet. One of the questions that Quindlen ruminates about is one that many pet owners must deal with: Why do we keep our aging, aching, declining, dying pe ...more
Teresa
Apr 07, 2017 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the dust jacket I knew this would likely make me cry some, especially just having lost my baby girl less than a month ago. I also knew Quindlen's short book would be funny, bittersweet and honest, and I wasn't disappointed at all.

But, I wasn't prepared for the sobbing I ended up doing, so make sure you have plenty of Kleenex on hand! I won't spoil by telling about the part that "got me," but I'm sure you can make an assumption.

I think this is a great book for any pet lover, not onl
Lena Wright
Jan 22, 2012 Lena Wright is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition

The memoir, “Good Dog. Stay.” by Anna Quindlen tells the history of the relationship between her, and her Labrador retriever of fifteen years. Through the use of time shift, imagery, and detailed anecdotes, she shares the experiences and memories made with her best friend. The book beings with her, in a familiar situation. The vets waiting room, without her dog. Beau, on her oriental rug at her penthouse apartment, in New York City. He had become too old to make the journey, so she stopped drag
Book Club Mom
Good Dog. Stay. is a short book of sentimental reflections about the relationships between dogs and their human families and how families face the inevitable end-of-life decisions of their beloved pets. Dog lovers will undoubtedly identify with Quindlen’s observations about a dog’s role in family life. She includes many photographs of dogs with happy expressions and soulful eyes, and all readers will recognize the unconditional love that is represented in these faces.

I enjoyed reading this book
Doris
Mar 15, 2010 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This very short story of a loyal, loving pet serves as a eulogy, not just for Beau, but for all those other pets we have loved and lost. My own black lab/chow mix did not live as long, but we loved her dearly. This book was celebrating a life and lamenting a death.

I did take exception to the comment that people should not dress dogs in clothing, since I did have a sweater for our dog for those days when the cold bit through even the thick fur and protective fat of an outdoor dog. I laugh when I
Janene
The Ravishing Readers Book Club marked their 3rd year anniversary with a holiday celebration and part of that celebration was playing the 'dice game'for books. Each member brought a wrapped book from their own library and we threw the dice and battled for the package we thought were going to be 'it'. Well, I won a bag full of books, and in the bag was this little honey. An actual eulogy of sorts, that the author wrote for her beloved Labrador. It is an extremely quick read, with wonderful pictur ...more
Kira4Inu
Aug 15, 2010 Kira4Inu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. It caused me to reflect upon the relationship that I share with my 12 year old dog Holly and I pondered quite a bit if she truly felt what I thought she did or if it was just a projection. I normally don't read non fiction books but I couldn't put this one down. I started and finished it in an hour or less. Great pictures of cute dogs are inside too. The cover picture is amazing too, it looks just like Holly. I recommend this book to any a ...more
Kayla
Aug 12, 2011 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for every dog lover (especially if you are blessed to be loved by a Lab). I found myself reading it outloud to my own lab, Bailey, at times. Saying "You do this, too!"

I say read it at the park with your favorite four-legged friend!
Kellie
Short and sweet, padded with pictures of dogs. Not much to it, just a short essay-turned-book that tells of the author's family dog and how it impacted her life. As with any and all books I read about dogs.. I cried at the end.
Rcltigger
Dec 11, 2007 Rcltigger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I picked this up since I like a good story. It turns out that this was just an expasion on a column that she wrote. And while it was lovely, it didn't have the impact of a great dog book like Marley and Me. I think that I would have liked the column better.
Kathy Cox
Jan 19, 2008 Kathy Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I 'previewed' this book, which was given to my son Dan for Christmas. It's an easy read - lots of dog pictures. I found it really moving. I've owned and loved Labradors for 20 years, and it's a moving, touching story about how they invade (literally) our lives and enrich them.
Frances Bessellieu
Kara
Actually I picked this book up on CD so that I can listen to it when I'm walking Gracie or Riding my bike. It was a nice story. Especially for dog lovers.
Susan Mangigian
Aug 21, 2011 Susan Mangigian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this before I had a dog and it was so beautiful it broke my heart. Now that I have a dog, who is the love of my life, this book would literally kill me.
Sarah Eagle
Jul 02, 2017 Sarah Eagle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's sad. It's about Quindlen's late black lab Beau. But it's also a celebration of his life. The many pictures of dogs interspersed throughout the book help balance the sadness.
I love the analysis of dogs and how people project their feelings and expectations of relationships with people onto their dogs. Quindlen does it again.
Judy
May 18, 2017 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too short, but thoughtful.
Dawn Myers
Jul 10, 2017 Dawn Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tiny book about great love.
Play Book Tag: Good Dog. Stay. - Anna Quindlen - 5 stars 2 16 Nov 07, 2016 05:30AM
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Dogs Who Found Me: What I've Learned From Pets Who Were Left Behind
  • Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
  • Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • Dog is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four Dogs, and Me
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog
  • Just Gus: A Rescued Dog and the Woman He Loved
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
Anna Quindlen is a novelist and journalist whose work has appeared on fiction, nonfiction, and self-help bestseller lists. She is the author of eight novels: OBJECT LESSONS, ONE TRUE THING, BLACK AND BLUE, BLESSINGS, RISE AND SHINE, EVERY LAST ONE, STILL LIFE WITH BREAD CRUMBS, and MILLER'S VALLEY. Her memoir LOTS OF CANDLES, PLENTY OF CAKE, published in 2012, was a number one New York Times bests ...more
More about Anna Quindlen...

“I conveniently forgot to remember that people only have two hands, or, as another parent once said of having a third child, it's time for a zone defense instead of man-to-man.” 13 likes