The Accusers (Marcus Didius Falco, #15)

The Accusers (Marcus Didius Falco #15)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  964 ratings  ·  45 reviews
- The Accusers was published in Mysterious Press hardcover (0-89296-811-7) in 4/04. This trade paperback edition will tie into Davis's new hardcover, Scandal Takes a Holiday, due from Mysterious press in 9/04
- Lindsey Davis's prior novel, The Jupiter Myth, appeared on London's Sunday Times bestseller list. It was published by Mysterious Press in hardcover in 9/03 and in tr...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Mysterious Press (first published June 5th 2003)

I, Claudius by Robert GravesThe First Man in Rome by Colleen McCulloughClaudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert GravesThe Twelve Caesars by SuetoniusThe Grass Crown by Colleen McCullough
Best Books About Ancient Rome
106th out of 369 books — 574 voters
Medicus by Ruth DownieTerra Incognita by Ruth DownieThe Silver Pigs by Lindsey DavisPersona Non Grata by Ruth DownieRoman Blood by Steven Saylor
Roman Mysteries Series
16th out of 49 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy
In this one, Lindsey Davis takes us to court. I appreciate that she is "writing us through" the various institutions of ancient Rome, but this installment was the most convoluted one yet and a bit of a drudge. I think I knew I was in trouble when early on one of the characters says, "What a bummer." Indeed.
Teresa
Every time I start reading one of the books in this series I think. " not as good as the last one" and then, before I know it I am completely caught up in the story staying up late to read just a few more pages and throughly enjoying myself. I like the way Marcus has developed over the years. In the first book he was single, down on his luck and not sure what the future held for him. Now he is a family man, married to the love of his life with two daughters and is the head of the family firm of...more
Scot
Fifteenth in the series. Back in Rome after two books set in first century Britain, Falco takes on a lawsuit over an alleged senatorial suicide to avoid debts. The focal point of this novel becomes a view into the life and practices of lawyers in ancient Rome, as Falco’s investigation leads him and his associates (wife Helena and her two brothers) deeper and deeper into labyrinths of corruption and conspiracy and he becomes increasingly involved in a court case. One quickly ascertains that rheto...more
Caitlin
I have honestly never been so disappointed in a book I was suggested. After informing a local bookstore owner that I highly enjoyed Steven Saylor's work, I was introduced to Lindsey Davis. I attempted this book and did not get far.
The story might have been entertaining but was written poorly and lazily. There was a great chunk of story missing where she simply put the report given to the employer instead of actually writing what they found. She uses phrases that did not exist at the time, such...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/161945.html[return][return]Hmm. I've very much enjoyed some of Davis' novels featuring Marcus Didius Falco, a detective of ancient Rome; this wasn't one of the best. The hero and his colleagues spend ages failing to interrogate the person who is fairly obviously the murderer, and by the end nothing really is resolved. I did wonder if the two chief villains, Paccius Africanus and Silius Italicus, might actually be real-life characters from our time-line who Davis was sh...more
Rosanne Lortz
This book was fabulous! Well-paced and well-plotted, it had me on the edge of seat till almost the very end as I waited for Marcus Didius Falco to solve the senator’s suicide/murder and discover what nefarious secret the family is trying to cover up. The name of the book comes from the role played by the two lawyers, former “accusers” during Nero’s reign. In order to stand up to their legal machinations, Falco is forced to become a lawyer himself. As well as providing an enthralling mystery, thi...more
Huw Evans
Marcus Didius Falco is an informer (a Latin private detective) and the whole series by Lyndsey Davis is well researched, well written and great fun to read. There is usually a bounce to the dialogue which is witty and pithy and MDF is no lover of authority. Not in this book. Stylistically, it is a huge departure from every other book in the series. I accept that the book is a satire on current litigiousness and I know that the great trials of the Roman Empire spawned some of the greatest oratory...more
P.d.r. Lindsay
If you are a Falco fan then you'll be happy. This is another excellent read in a series of excellent reads.

The plot is a little more depressing than usual as Falco has to deal with the so-called justice system and his disillusionment with the Emperor's inability to change the system and not employ the corrupt. There are long passages of court speeches and not so much action which might put some readers off. Also there aren't quite so many laughs for Falco is feeling his age and he hates that!

Bu...more
Deb
Once again I am not disappointed in Lindsey Davis and Marcus Didius Falco. This is fairly mellow installment in the saga. Falco is engaged by to investigate an alleged senatorial suicide. This eventually involves him defending an alleged murderer in the Roman courts. Rome's legal system is the main character here, and Falco &Co are our guides. I enjoyed the way Falco was less of a lone ranger this time, and really involved Helen and her brothers. As usual, his wit and wily ways get him into...more
Marva
I'll read more of Lindsey Davis's Falco mysteries. What a fun concept! An "informer" (like a private eye) operating in ancient Rome.

You'll learn plenty about the Roman justice (injustice) system.

Falco is a middle-class Roman (equestrian class, though he doesn't have a horse) who lucked into marrying a Senator's daughter. This fortunate mating gives him access to some higher-ups he can go to for his investigations, yet he's low-class enough to search the back alleys and less savory parts of Rome...more
Ruth
c2003: FWFTB: trial, lawyers, ex-consuls, suicide, offending. Another solid entry to the annals of Falco. There really is not much else to be said as Ms Davis rarely disappoints. FCN: M Didius Falco (the protagonist with a strange set of morals), Helena Justina (the fabulous wife of Falco), Honorius (a double dealing lawyer or is he?), L Petronius Longus (only a cameo appearance this time), Tu Catius Silius Italicus (one of the slimy opposing lawyers.) Intimidation and awe are how our rulers ke...more
Jaideep Krishnan
another well-constructed Falco mystery
LeAnn
Aug 02, 2008 LeAnn rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Readers of murder mysteries
This was an example of mindless genre reading with a quirky twist that I picked up a couple of months ago on the discount table and B&N. I'd hope that it would be amusing and that the Roman setting would make up for what the plot and style lacked. I don't feel dirty after having read it and I think that it would perfectly suit the average reader of murder mystery / legal thrillers. Not really my cup of tea, though, so there's not much for me to write in detail about.
Travis
A Court room drama/Legal thriller set in ancient Rome.

Marcus Didius Falco takes on, what looks like, an easy money making case, doing some leg work connected with an inheritance trial and it very quickly gets very complicated.
He and his sidekicks are soon neck deep in political intrigue and soon find themselves in very serious danger of financial and reputational ruin.

Great mystery as well as a great look at the time period.

M.R.
On the one hand, it's nice to know that courts were as terminally annoying and frustrating back in Rome as they are today, and losing was just as dangerous. On the other, there's not as much action as in your typical Marcus Didius Falco outing. It's certainly different, and yet it's still Falco. Who can resist this guy, or his lovely common-law wife, the restimable Helena Justina? Not me. Read it anyway.
Rikki
A very satisfying detective story and ending (and a VERY fitting title, too). It is not action filled but mainly relies on the spoken word (with the exception of a couple of fisticuffs as can be expected in Rome).

For my full review please go to my blog post The Accusers

Travis
Another great Falco story. This time our favorite Roman sleuth has to deal with one of the most corrupt and dangerous creatures in Ancient Roman: Accusers; also known as lawyers. Tangled up in a web of lies and secrets, Falco soon finds out he's btten off more than he can chew in this great addition to Lindsey Davis' series.
Henry
A bit meandering; the way that the most recent info on informers is inserted is interesting but feels a bit jarring.

I did like the briefs and legal records, to spice up the formatting. And the way the plot's 'resolved' is a welcome change of pace.

But ultimately I didn't enjoy this book as much as others in the series.
Nancy
The Falco books are fun to read. the voice may be contemporary but the historical details are still interesting. This book deals with a series of interlocking court cases and the portrayed Roman court system intrigued me. I foudn the ending a bit abrupt but that seems to be a hallmakr of the Falcon books.
Cynthiaj
A bit of a different pace for Marcus and Helena. This episode occurs back in Rome with a family mired in legal plots which drag in our protagonists. A lot of plodding and little running for Marcus in this one. Still, I enjoyed the tale. And it provided an interesting perspective on Roman inheritance issues.
Bibimus
I found this was quite hard to get through, it meandered through the story and was never going to finish. This is unusual as I generally like the Falco books. The lawyers were annoying, and contributed to the dullness of the whole book.
Roshni
Fantastic book about ancient Roman politics and judicial system. The main character has a wry sense of humor and a cynical view of the world, which make the book very enjoyable. Overall, the book was very satisfying.
Annie
I am finding that the high number of characters in addition to the narrator's reading speed are making this story hard to keep up with!

UPDATE: it got better and the story is a good one, nice twists and turns!
Stephen Maxwell
Another very good entry in the Marcus Didius Falco series. A bit dryer than previous entries, with not quite as much of Falco's humourous asides. Still a ripping story, and sure to please fans of Falco.
Christina
This wasn't one of my favorite Falco mysteries. It didn't seem as funny as some of the others, and I guess I'm not as interested in the details of the legal system. It was good, but not my favorite Falco.
Andrea
I think I would have liked this better if I'd read earlier books in the series. Between coming in late and knowing next to nothing about the time period, I spent a lot of time pretty much lost.
Rachel Hawes
The one set in the law courts with the fantastic historical detail and confirmation of what we all knew - with lawyers it has ever been thus. Interesting insights into the use of hemlock also :D
Kirby
Jul 23, 2011 Kirby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Again, I love the characters Lindsey Davis has created for this series. This time she showed us a bit about law and lawyers in Ancient Rome while entangling us in a suicide/murder mystery.
Nancy
Marcus and his cohort gumshoes are drawn into a prominent family's complicated problems. Irreverent, seedy and everyday ancient Rome and its judicial system star.
Alora
I really like this series and I look forward to the next. I recommend you start at the beginning because you get to know the main character from the start.
  • A Gladiator Dies Only Once (Roma Sub Rosa, #11)
  • SPQR VII: The Tribune's Curse (SPQR, #7)
  • Ovid (Marcus Corvinus, #1)
  • Caveat Emptor (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #4)
Lindsey Davis, historical novelist, was born in Birmingham, England in 1949. Having taken a degree in English literature at Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall), she became a civil servant. She left the civil service after 13 years, and when a romantic novel she had written was runner up for the 1985 Georgette Heyer Historical Novel Prize, she decided to become a writer, writing at first romanti...more
More about Lindsey Davis...
The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1) Shadows in Bronze (Marcus Didius Falco, #2) The Iron Hand of Mars (Marcus Didius Falco, #4) Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3) Poseidon's Gold (Marcus Didius Falco, #5)