The Jupiter Myth (Marcus Didius Falco, #14)

The Jupiter Myth (Marcus Didius Falco #14)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  990 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The latest book in the popular Marcus Didius Falco series - a classic noir tale of gangsters, gladiators, and romance.
Published May 1st 2004 by Mysterious Press (first published 2002)

I, Claudius by Robert GravesThe First Man in Rome by Colleen McCulloughClaudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert GravesThe Twelve Caesars by SuetoniusThe Grass Crown by Colleen McCullough
Best Books About Ancient Rome
108th out of 369 books — 572 voters
Medicus by Ruth DownieTerra Incognita by Ruth DownieThe Silver Pigs by Lindsey DavisPersona Non Grata by Ruth DownieRoman Blood by Steven Saylor
Roman Mysteries Series
44th out of 49 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennie
Feb 07, 2008 Jennie rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Mystery/History lovers
Recommended to Jennie by: Mom
Although not the first book in the series, this is the first one that I read. My mom and dad gave it to me for Christmas because it takes place in London (or Londinium as Falco would say!) and I had just worked there the summer of 2001.

After reading this book, I was on a quest to read all the others. Written in a straight-forward style (as all the books in the series are), this book captures humor, romance, and mystery in a historical setting. The characters are all likeable, but not perfect. In...more
Maddy
RATIG: 3.75

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do." But what if you're a Roman, and you're in Britain? What do you do then? In A.D. 75, the Brits are an uncivilized bunch; and Marcus Didius Falco and his extended family, including his best friend and partner Petronius, are in Londinium for a visit. As Falco is quick to point out, the British amenities are sorely lacking in comparison to civilized Rome, whether that be the political environment, the societal structure or the weather. At times, his cr...more
Rosanne Lortz
The Jupiter Myth, book 14 of the Marcus Didius Falco series, picks up right where A Body in the Bathhouse leaves off. Marcus and family leave the palace building site from the last case and head off to Londinium. When the exiled murdered from the last book winds up dead in one of Londinium’s taverns, Marcus discovers that the backwater banks of the Thamesis are capable of hiding as much villainy as the lurid streets of Rome. He unearths a protection racket that has been plaguing the town for som...more
Scot
As a follow-up the last installment in this series, Falco & family (including Helena’s brothers, his sister Maia and her kids, his best pal Petronius) are still in first century Britain, but now the Roman investigator is trying to get to the bottom of a mystery involving the murder of Verovolcus, an old friend of the current king who had been implicated in some serious crimes against the Emperor. Verovolcus is found face down in the bottom of a well in the yard of a dive bar in the port city...more
P.d.r. Lindsay

Writers aren’t always kind to each other but Edith Pargeter, who wrote the best selling Brother Cadfael series of Mediaeval murder mysteries, said of one of Lindsey Davis’s early novels:

'Lindsey Davis continues her exploration of Vespasian's Rome and Marcus Didius Falco's Italy with the same wit and gusto that made 'The Silver Pigs' such a dazzling debut and her rueful, self-deprecating hero so irresistibly likeable.'

Wit, gusto and irresistible, three words which are the best summation of the...more
Hannah
Davis is at her best when the mystery is set in Rome, perhaps due to her substantial knowledge of Roman society when it is set in the home city, rather than in outer provinces. This shows in The Jupiter Myth; Falco is infinitely more comfortable within the familiar surroundings of Rome, and in Britain, his humour is considerably muted. His freedom to move and carry out investigations in whatever manner he chooses (helped by people he's familiar with, yet again) is also lacking here.

The character...more
Deb
Once again Lindsey Davis delivers a fast-paced novel of intrigue featuring Marcus Didius Falco, Procurator of the Sacred Geese, and imperial informer. Falco and his entourage (Helena, his daughters, his sister Maia and her children) are still in Britain. They are now in Londinium, visiting Helena's relatives, when Falco is asked to investigate the odd murder of a disgraced British courtier. Petronius is also involved in the investigation, and we meet Chloris, the famed ropedancer and an importan...more
Bob Schmitz
I have read several of these Didius Falco books. They are quick murder mystery reads set in ancient Roman times. Good for some brief relaxation. The plots are just ok. The protagonist is a gruff Roman investigator who's observations and commentary are funny. What I enjoy is the depictions of all the intricacies of Roman life. This particular one is set in Londinium 15 years after the Rebellion of Boadicea. The descriptions of London at the time and the mingling of Roman and Celtic customs and la...more
Jan (the Gryphon)
Marcus Didius Falco in earlier books has proven that he can take punishment, both physical and mental. In The Jupiter Myth it's his friend Lucias Petronius who is the sufferer. Petro has brought Falco's sister and her family come to Londinium, Britannia, where Falco and his wife Helena are visiting with Helena's aunt - as it turns out, a working vacation for Petro and Falco. This book doesn't have a cast of characters as the earliest books in the series, which is too bad as there is a cast of -...more
Emily
I am only giving this book four stars because there were some parts of it that I thought dragged on forever and the beginning was kind of hard to get into. Other than that, I loved the story and the historical information was well thought out and delievered in a way that didn't seem too educational. It was just entertaining to read. I loved the modernity of the characters, even though it was set at the height of Rome's power. Falco is very witty and I loved his relationships with Petro and Helen...more
Julie Davis
#15 - 2010.

Out of new fiction I wandered to my bookshelves and discovered that I hadn't perused Lindsey Davis in some time. The Jupiter Myth was one of her books that I most enjoyed as it combines a look at life in ancient Londinum with a well conceived mystery that is investigated by her wise cracking, cynical detective, Falco. As well, a few old friends from the series are roped into service.

I am surprised upon thinking of it that I dropped the series soon after this point. I read the next boo...more
Elizabeth
Probably would have made more sense if I had read A Body in the Bathhouse more recently, since it involves some of the same characters.

As perhaps should have been expected for a noir detective novel, bad things happen to people in this book, but only some of them because the characters are unfortunate enough to live in the year 75. Others are more fundamental problems with human nature, which persist with organized crime today.
M.R.
Falco is back in Britain, but the story is neither as brutal as in The Silver Pigs nor as funny as the books set in Rome. His ability to work the way he wants and needs to is somewhat constrained in Britain, and he doesn't know the lay of the land as well as he knows the Aventine -- but Falco still prevails, albeit by the skin of his teeth (again). Not quite as satisfying as the best books of the series but still highly recommended.
Megan
I just couldn't get myself into this book. I think it was because so much of it relied on previous books in the series, which as a casual reader of Lindsey Davis who only picks up her books when I find them for cheap, makes it a little more difficult to get into. This isn't the first time I've noticed this, either, so I suspect I should make the effort to go back and read these in order if I want to enjoy them properly.
Nancy
This one didn't sparkle. It had all the elements, and I imagine Lindsey Davis had a lot of fun resurrecting Roman London, her own home town, but it felt formulaic. I will of course read on. I am a big fan of Marcus Didius Falco, and I can't wait to get to the most recent one, set in Alexandria, surely one of the greatest cities of the world, ancient or modern. Now that's the city I want to see resurrected by Davis.
Phair
This was one of the few Falcos that did not click with me. Normally I love stories set in Roman Britain including Falco's previous sojourns there but this outing was so flat and boring. There also seemed to be more than usual modern turns of phrase that felt jarringly out of place. The last few chapters got better and moved at a livelier pace. Thank goodness the family is heading back to Italy!
Cal
This is the 14th book in the Marcus Didus Falco series of mysteries set in Vespasian's Rome. Well, actually, this particular novel is set in Roman Londinium of A.D. 75 and concerns the murder of a tribal British noble. While the murder mysteries are fun, I enjoy these books mainly for the ongoing characters and the background history/atmosphere of ancient times.
Huw Evans
A return to form for Lynsey Davis. MDFalco and his sidekicks are back in Britain resurrecting the unpleasant memories of his previous trips. the book centres around the Romanisation of Britannia and the conflicts that it presents all involved. How much acceptance of hegemony is real, how much is lip service and how much is hidden beneath the stucco and mosaics.
Cody Tolmasoff
Imagine a Roman informer (Private Investigator) sent back to the frontier of the old world, Britania. Described as a backward place, Falco spends a good deal of time running around Londinium, crossing such rivers as the Themisis. An interesting flash back in time, and an action packed mystery including a huge fight scene in a Roman Arena.
Johanne
Interesting, set in Roman London albeit with some artistic licence. Falco has to find out who stuffed a British noble into a well whilst dealing with a miserable Petro and an orphaned British girl. This is the book that introduces Albia who in Lindsay Davies new book takes up the falco investigative mantle.
Ruth
c2002: FWFTB: downtown, murder, well, gangsters, Londinium. Back to form again. Another brilliant set piece with the arena show down and a lot more emotional connections. Loved this particular one. The normal characters all make a showing with a new one thrown in for luck. Highly recommended.
Lizzie Robinson
This is my favourite book of the whole series as it sets up some interesting story lines for the future whilst very satisfactorily concluding others. It also gives us a tantalising glimpse in to Falco's previous relationships. Watch out for the bumble bee scene, it is just so cute.
Mary Sue
This could be a mediocre situation comedy set in AD 75, Roman controlled Britain. Characters are pleasant, plot practically non-existant, dialogue hopelessly modern. Don't read this as historical fiction. Don't read this as a mystery. Don't read this.
Kirby
Jun 27, 2011 Kirby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I always love Falco. Trouble seems to catch up to him no matter where he goes and what he does to avoid it. In this Davis novel she teaches us about the uncivilized land now known now as London, and its Roman administration and history.
Lee
When it comes to Marcus Didius Falco, I don't have much to say in the negative. A detective series set in Rome with sharp dialogue? I can't ask for more; other than Lindsey Davis to just keep on writing.
Kathy Dolan
Another inventive and well written story. Really enjoying these novels and wondering why it's taken me so long to discover them. Christian Rodska narrates very well and to me is becoming Falco.
Cynthiaj
Absolutely great story. Although I feel for Marcus and Helena as they seem to be trapped in Britania. Maybe Davis will let them come home to Rome in the next one. I will anxiously await...
Matthew Berkshire
A nice touch in the series. There is a preserved character, and the reappearance of one. Davis is brilliant at mixing the comedic with the serious, and touching.
Rachel Hawes
The one in Londinium with the tribal chieftain stuck down a well, the re-appearance of Falco's ex and in which we realise London has not much changed over the years....
Roshni
Great book. The ancient Roman theme makes a nice addition. The complex plot and likeable characters make this book well worth the read
  • The House of the Vestals (Roma Sub Rosa, #6)
  • SPQR III: The Sacrilege (SPQR, #3)
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)
  • Terra Incognita (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #2)
  • The Pilgrim of Hate (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #10)
Lindsey Davis, historical novelist, was born in Birmingham, England in 1949. Having taken a degree in English literature at Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall), she became a civil servant. She left the civil service after 13 years, and when a romantic novel she had written was runner up for the 1985 Georgette Heyer Historical Novel Prize, she decided to become a writer, writing at first romanti...more
More about Lindsey Davis...
The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1) Shadows in Bronze (Marcus Didius Falco, #2) The Iron Hand of Mars (Marcus Didius Falco, #4) Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3) Poseidon's Gold (Marcus Didius Falco, #5)