Start by marking “Little Horse” as Want to Read:
Little Horse

Little Horse

Can Little Horse find his place in the big world?

After accidentally falling into a stream, Little Horse fights the swift current that carries him farther and farther from the valley where he was born.

When he finally manages to scramble ashore, a giant bird swoops down on him. Little Horse runs for cover in a forest of flowers only to have a giant paw pin him to the ground.
Published April 1st 2002 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Little Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Horse

Kari
Sep 11, 2010 Kari rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
6 year old "I didn't like the story"
Dolly
Jan 02, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is an unusual story about horses. We didn't realize at first just how small the "Little Horse" is, but it made for an interesting tale. There was drama and suspense and a (mostly) happy ending. We read this one together at one time, but this would be a great book to read for children who are just starting chapter books. With twelve (very short) chapters, children will be encouraged to read more.
Rena Sherwood
This was a MUCH better book than Betsy Byars' most famous book, "The Summer of the Swans." It was imaginative (how about if horses were the size of hamsters?) and, despite the oh-so-cute cover, has some nicely dark moments.

I know this book isn't for 45-year-olds (like me) but it was such a nice way to relax after reading about the Roman Empire, the Holocaust, the Stanford Prison Experiment and other jolly things like that.
Tiffany
Apr 10, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
We (my 5 and 3 year old) absolutely loved this book! It kept their attention because the chapters were short and there was suspense! They could hardly wait to see what would happen to Little Horse next. My 3 year old especially liked the pictures. They were great for helping her visualize the story.
Katie
Sep 07, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
Interesting. Fantasy tale about a little horse swept away from its family into the real world. Very sweet, almost too saccharine for my taste.
Pictures support the text - lovely pictures too!

Definitely for younger readers, especially girls.
Heidi
Spoiler alert. My boys enjoyed this one. Each short chapter was a cliff hanger. I really didn't like the way it ended - little horse is sepaeated from his mother at the beginning and never makes it back home.
Reagan
Mar 14, 2015 Reagan rated it really liked it
Little horse falls into the stream by accident. The current pulls him far away from his home.
In this book Little Horse has to get away from a eagle or hawk. I like this book a lot.
Trace
Feb 19, 2013 Trace rated it really liked it
Luke's review: I loved that this book was about horses and adventures. I always like adventures.
Vickie
Vickie rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2015
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2008
Jennifer rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2010
Sandi Prescott
May 09, 2013 Sandi Prescott rated it really liked it
Good book for students just beginning chapter books.
Paul Debraski
Paul Debraski rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Cherry
Cherry rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2009
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2011
Bethj
Bethj rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Kathie
Kathie rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Teralynn
Teralynn rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was ok
May 23, 2013
Pandy
Pandy rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Krishna Kumar
Krishna Kumar rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Oksana
Oksana rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Eve
Eve rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Gina Huber
Gina Huber rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2008
Leslie Billington
Leslie Billington rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
Melissa
Oct 26, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
Boring for mom but great introduction for my first grader to read a chapter book on her own.
Jordan Salzman
Jordan Salzman rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...