Start by marking “Bloodstone” as Want to Read:
Bloodstone

Bloodstone

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  388 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Something evil has taken root in White Falls and has waited centuries for the right time to awaken.
Published April 29th 2008 by Leisure Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodstone

Kristen
May 12, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a long time since I’ve read a horror story like this one. Most horror novelists are either very good at openings but then the rest of the tale doesn’t hold up, or they are excellent a mood but the characters are week, or sometimes you get the occasional author who struggles in the beginning but if you can make it 50 pages or so into the book, it really gets rocking and rolling. For a debut novel, I am unbelievably impressed by the even-ness of the entire book. We start out creepy, and ...more
Bandit
Feb 19, 2011 Bandit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book and...I don't know who won Bram Stoker award in 2008, but I'm going to find out as soon as I'm done with this review, because I would be very interested to hear of a book more deserving of the prize than Bloodstone. In other words, Bloodstone was an amazing book. Sometimes, I get overly generous with the ratings on here, especially if the books are by authors I like. This was an absolutely five star read. The kind of book that makes you go out and get all the other books ...more
Valerie the bookworm
This book was good. I liked it. I have gotten a huge box of books from a new friend of mine, mostly Leisure horror books and sadly, many of them are not cutting it. I suppose I am very spoiled by the likes of Stephen King and Clive Barker, Peter Straub, all of whom bring quite a bit of actual literature and substance to their horror, but for me Nate Kenyon does cut it in this book. The premise is two people being inexplicably beckoned to a town that is on the cusp of evil happenings. The two fal ...more
Ms. Nikki
The dead are hungry. They're dangerous and they want to reach out to us. They've found a way. The key must be destroyed.

This read started off rather sedated with a not-so like-able character taking the reins. Others soon joined the cast and we get a little story and background info on each one. The writing itself was deceptively simple, otherwise I might not have finished this or stayed interested due to the fact that the pace never really varied. The epilogue diminished the climatic conclusion
Lee
Jan 14, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-to-read
This was a well written, creepy debut. What if you were having dreams/visions/nightmares, that you were supposed to be somewhere. To find someone to take with you on your journey. Stopping in a small town in Maine, because it "feels right" , that this is the place. Don't want to say why, and what our protagonist's find there. A well paced good vs. evil story, that leaves you feeling like you had just walked into a spider web.
Adam Wilson
This is obviously tryying too hard and reads like the unpopular sibling of Salems Lot. This writing is nice but it could not hold this one together well enough for me.
Daniel Russell
Driven by nightmares of the dead, Billy Smith kidnaps a girl called Angel and heads for the sleepy Maine town of White Falls. The town has a few oddballs and a tragic history, mainly concerning the eccentric Thomas family and a young man called Jeb, whose father murdered Jeb's mother and recently died in prison.

History begins to repeat itself with Jeb following the same dark path as his father, and as the town descends towards madness, the reason Billy and Angel have been drawn to White Falls be
Cyn
Oct 27, 2011 Cyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book and it was creepy as crap in some places. The author did a good job with many of the characters - making them feel realistic and sympathetic. I think he could have done a little better with Stowe, but other than that, this was a great first effort by the author.

There were a couple/few places that felt a bit unpolished, but it wasn't enough to make me knock a star off the review. I was a tad confused about events at the end, but I think I do get it after all.

There was one
Pat Gerber-Relf
Jan 25, 2014 Pat Gerber-Relf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes definitely this was really up my street. Love this book, at last a horror fiction writer that appeals to my black taste. I picked up this book as a freebie from Amazon on my Kindle not knowing the author, but now I do. I have already downloaded his second book. A small town in the States founded some time in the 17th century and a very dark secret brought to light by circumstances of today. Let's see, we have a murderer who dies in prison, his son who likes to drink and a couple that arrive ...more
Sean McBride
This was a Halloween book which ended up taking waaaayyy to long. I lovingly call books like these my crappy horror books, but as I get older and my palate for novels and literature gets more refined, it becomes harder and harder to come back to these mainstays of my youth. I understand that these books are written within a year an probably aren't fleshed out because of deadlines, but I still feel like one has to live up to expectations. The writing in this on was sound and the characterization ...more
Mary
My Opinion:
Great read and nail biting. Let me just say I didn’t expect the twist almost at the ending. You know it was there in front of my face just never connected it. I was drawn to this book like a moth to a flame. I spent almost every minute I could reading it. But not rushing through it. I had no idea why Angel and Billy were drawn to this town and as it unfolded I was so wrapped up in it I didn’t even notice time flying by. I loved almost all the characters and didn’t feel that Nate left
TJ
Apr 05, 2012 TJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bloodstone is a plodding supernatural tale that never got off the ground for me. I struggled to get through the first 200 pages and should have stopped at that point and moved on to another book. I kept going only because a number of reviewers noted that the book improved dramatically during its last third. Well, maybe that was true, but not enough for me to give the book more than one star.

The book contained characters that I really didn't care about, and frankly, found unlikeable. The story, a
Elke
The book starts out like some kind of sick road movie thriller: a recovering alcoholic kidnaps a prostitute. But, as already suggested by the recurring nightmares both of them have, things take a completely different turn once they arrive in White Falls. Bit by bit, the backgrounds of Billy and Angels are revealed, turning them into characters we can start to sympathize with and ally against the evil force that lives in this small town.

Though the explanation about the origin of the evil and the
Merredith
Feb 18, 2011 Merredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stephen king fans, horror lovers
Shelves: 4-or-5-stars, horror
Nate Kenyon is my new favorite horror author. Remember when Stephen King used to be good? All those early books set in Maine with their odd little towns & the scary goings-on? Well that's Nate Kenyon. This book is about an old small Maine town that was built on some bad land, and the main character is drawn to find a woman from a miami beach and bring both of them here. And strange things are happening in town. Well, it's a horror story so i cant give too much away without being tmi. There w ...more
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 William M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Bloodstone is a return to the classic theme involving a small, secluded town with a dark secret. Strangers with dreams, an outcast teenager, a town prophet, and a history of violence converge in a steady buildup to a satisfying climax. The writing was solid throughout, but I felt at times Kenyon was holding back from turning the horror-dial up a few notches. With the exception of the final 50 pages, the tone, although creepy and atmospheric, floated in the PG-13 realm. My tastes run a little mor ...more
Jeff French
I was expecting more from this book. I could go as high as 3.5 stars, but the novel is a mixed bag. It starts out very slowly. The narrative plods along for about two thirds of the book. Many characters were introduced at a rapid pace. You would read about them once, and then not see them again for quite a while. By this point I had forgotten who they were, and what their story was. I had to keep reading until something jogged my memory. On the upside, the last 70 or 80 pages are dynamite. Kenyo ...more
Rose
May 08, 2008 Rose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: absolute-crap
This was a first time author of horror and it was a book that was written totally by the numbers. Very predictable! I really didn't like my characters, there were absolutely no surprises as this storyline has been done over and over again. It was not the least bit scary and a bit jumpy and leaving lot's of things unexplained. It felt very rushed as well. It read like someone just graduated from writing class and this was their first attempt.

I don't think the author is bad, he just needs time to
Greg Fisher
Jan 14, 2014 Greg Fisher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book was narrated by John Lee.

This is my second Nate Kenyon book and one scarier than 'The Reach'. I enjoyed it. I particularly liked that it wasn't just a ghost story, a zombie story, a Lovecraft story or a demon story, although it had elements of all three. It was a complicated and thoroughly evil plot to re-enter this world. That would not be good for us.
Chip
Nov 29, 2014 Chip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Fun read, easily a 3.5 out of five. Turned a little zombie-ish towards the end, but all in all a good book.
Marvin
Aug 07, 2010 Marvin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I've previously enjoyed Nate Kenyon's later novels, The Reach and Sparrow Rock. However this debut novel, Bloodstone, left me cold. It is a tentative affair often reading like a King or Straub imitation with none of the freshness and excitement. It was obviously a first attempt and I can attest that the author recovered later. So don't dismiss this as a "stay away". It is rather s "Skip this" and move on to Mr. Kenyon's more recent and superior works.
Scott
Mar 02, 2011 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spooks
The family legacy that haunts this book is fascinating and definitely keeps you invested. I did want a bit more background on the history of the talisman that this story worked around (I tend to be a bit of a nerd toward artifacts and ancient relics....especially when it comes to occult based histories or mysteries.) The outcome of the book did surprise me and the character development was rich with "blood-ties." I look forward to reading books by Nate Kenyon.
Olaf
Sep 11, 2013 Olaf rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bored people who can't acces any other book
Recommended to Olaf by: sadly nobody, so I have only myself to blame
Shelves: horror
When I first took the book in my hand I though "well... maybe this isn't that bad"

It wasn't, but it wasn't good either. As far as I remember I've read it just because I was bored and I wanted to see how many of my predictions were right.

But it's not like I didn't enjoy myself, plot was lacking but it wasn't completely predictable and surprisingly (especialy to myself) I was quite enthraled with it.
Justin Cales
May 18, 2013 Justin Cales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first began to read this book, I felt it was not going to live up to what I was hoping for. It took a while to get super interesting. I was pleased towards the end! I got a little of what I wanted. I am impressed that this is the first book written by the author. A great job at a first attempt. I gave it four stars because I probably will never have a desire to read it again, but I am glad I did.
Candice Mckinney
May 16, 2013 Candice Mckinney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy a good horror book. Bloodstone is a good one. It starts out with Billy Smith having nightmares every night. He keeps moving further East from California until he finds himself in Miami Beach. He kidnaps Angel and heads to White Falls, Maine. This is a town that was built on land that the Indian guides would not step on when it was settled. The book has a very slow build to horror.
Terry
Dec 09, 2013 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Shelves: horror
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I bought it initially because the cover art caught my eye at the bookstore, and it sat on my 'to read' shelf for a while. Now, I wish I'd got to it sooner. It was a good classic style horror story. I thought it was written well, with good imagery and good character development. I look forward to trying another title by this author soon.
Lorri Sankowsky
Feb 24, 2009 Lorri Sankowsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, great book! I love horror and it's hard to find good stories, good characters, and someone who can blend it all together and scare me. Nate Kenyon did a good job. I know when I am struggling to keep my eyes open, to just keep reading no matter how late it is or how early I have to get up the next morning because I HAVE to know what happens next.....that's a good book.
Donna Humble
Mar 20, 2015 Donna Humble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent story with chills but few surprises. I enjoyed reading it and would read it again.
Debbie Heaton
Mar 29, 2011 Debbie Heaton rated it it was ok
A man with a past and a woman taken against her will. One man consumed by rage, a small town tainted by a past of darkness, a horrifying secret that's about to be revealed. A centuries old evil is about to awaken and no one is safe from the growing darkness that awaits them. A finalist for the Bram Stoker Award and well deserved.
Janette Fleming
Fine debut novel from Nate Kenyon. Stephen King-esque setting (small Maine town with secrets) has good, strong characters, an atmospheric location and a literary device that works really well. Bloodstone, for me invoked the vintage /old school horror written in the 70/80s by King, Straub, Masterton et al
Not Now...Mommy's Reading
Excellent story! Another great read by Nate Kenyon! My heart ached for Billy - Uuuugh! I so wanted a happy ending here! Hard to put into words what I felt about this book - creepy, page-turning, unique story with an array of characters you can't seem to help but begin to feel a bond with.
  • Coffin County
  • The Everlasting
  • Ghost Walk
  • The Narrows
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • Like Death
  • House of Blood
  • Monstrosity
  • Live Girls
  • Cover
  • The Long Last Call
Nate Kenyon's latest novel is the techno-thriller Day One (Thomas Dunne/St. Martins Press). Booklist gave it a starred review, calling it "exciting and inventive." Library Journal called it a "must" and Kenyon's "scariest to date."

Kenyon grew up in a small town in Maine. His first novel, Bloodstone, received raves from places as varied as Library Journal, Fangoria, Publishers Weekly, about.com, Ce
More about Nate Kenyon...