Start by marking “Facing Your Giants” as Want to Read:
Facing Your Giants

Facing Your Giants

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  8,270 ratings  ·  251 reviews
You know your Goliath. You recognize his walk, the thunder of his voice.

He taunts you with bills you can't pay, people you can't please, habits you can't break, failures you can't forget, and a future you can't face. But just like David, you can face your giant, even if you aren't the strongest, the smartest, the best equipped, of the holiest.

David. You could read his stor
Published November 21st 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Facing Your Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing Your Giants

Kymberly
Jun 17, 2008 Kymberly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kymberly by: Saw Max Lucado at Women of Faith Conference and fell in love wit
That our Giants aren't always people. Actually I am finding most of time they never are. The greatest thing is that I have learned to tell my giants that my God is SOOOOOOOOOO much BIGGER than they are. He will always win!! Always!!!
Doris
Jerry recommended this book to me and I am forever grateful.

This book took me many weeks to read as God was working on me with each section I read. Much of this book was read at the gym while sitting at the pool watching my kids swim/play or in the jacuzzi, relaxing after a tough workout.

As God moved greatly in me, I began to see what I understood about David was a bit off. The Psalms were often to written out of fun, glorious, happy times, but out of despair, heartache, gut wrenching times wher
Victor Gentile
I got the chance to read "Facing Your Giants" by Max Lucado published by Thomas Nelson. I have read that Max Lucado is called America's Pastor and after reading this book I can understand why.

"Facing Your Giants" is not just about the story of how David defeated Goliath, though that is what one of the chapters is about. "Facing Your Giants" is about the life of David from the moment he entered into battle with Goliath until moments before his death and how he faced the challenges that came befor
Jenn
I read this book when I was going through a rough time in my life, and I have to say it really helped me through it. It helped me see that I wasn't alone in my fight and I could face my giants along with God's help, just like Goliath. Lucado puts the book into terms anyone could understand and appreciate. Giants are hardly ever people, most of the time it is something we are struggling with. Max Lucado's book is very helpful and helped bring me to over come my struggles and face my giants.
Lisa
Max Lucado is one of the most popular Christian writers out there. You can't fault a thing he says. To me, though, he is somewhat like a John Grisham. John Grisham is super popular, but his writing is elementary. People go crazy over him, yet I'm confused as many of the other more skilled writers get neglected. I feel the same way here, and yet probably many people are reached by his writing. So that's fine -- all good points here, but I prefer a more scholarly pursuit.
Lisa Topp
Apr 06, 2008 Lisa Topp rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bible Study
Recommended to Lisa by: Sr. Carol Ann
My Lenten Study Book for this year. A very thorough journey through the story of David. Good for anyone interested in facing "Giants" in their life - there are more of them than you may think - and also a good tool for more in depth study of the Bible. I'm still undecided about Max Lucado's style - he's very informal, sometimes borderline comical. There is a study guide in the back of the book that tells you which verses in the Bible to read as an accompaniment to each chapter.
Shannon
How do we traverse our most difficult roads without giving up? How do we live our normal days, day after day, without becoming complacent? Upon what do we fix our gaze?

In this book, Lucado suggests we explore the story of David in order to answer these and other questions. More specifically, he contends that David was able to defeat Goliath and had moments of great clarity, inspiration, and leadership when he kept his eyes on God and asked for God's help and direction. When he didn't, he fell in
Melissa
Max Lucado does such a good job of applying scripture the O.T. story of David in this case) to our daily lives. In this book he shows us good and bad decisions David made and how his relationship with God changed with his decisions.
Carol
"Focus on giants—you stumble. Focus on God—your giants tumble."

Offers some good insights on keeping your eyes on God, even during your worst times. Lucado does a great job making the story of David relevant to us today.
Jason Lilly
Once again, Christian living master Max Lucado impresses with a study of the life of David, failure and success, a Biblical figure whom God himself proclaimed "a man after his own heart" (Samuel 13:14).

As usual, Lucado chooses an important theme for Christians to follow. Too often in our lives, we focus on the overwhelming stresses in our lives, fear, failure, doubt, a shady past, whatever it may be. In the beginning of the book, Lucado vividly paints a portrait of tiny David and how he stood f
Penny
This is an amazing read by Max Lucado!! i couldn't begin to share all my thoughts, but would like to share one of my favorites from the book.

Lucado tell a story of Florence Chadwick who in 1952 attempted to swim the chilly ocean waters between Catalina Island and the California shore. She swam through foggy weather and choppy seas for 15 hours!! Her muscles began to cramp, and her resolve weakened. She begged to be taken out of the water, but her m other, riding in a boat alongside, urged her n
This is an amazing book that helps readers overcome their fears/giants/or whatever you want to come them by analyzing the story of David. God calls David a man after His heart, even though David failed badly with Bathsheba and his own family. Lucado explains why we fail when we focus on our giants, but will succeed if we focus on God. I was really challenge by Lucado's analysis of David's story, especially the chapters on distant diety, tough promises, and dashed hopes. I also learned a lot from ...more
David
I don't know why I like Max Lucado's books so much. Maybe it's because he has a way of making the bible come alive. Maybe it's the way he doesn't try to show off how educated he is and writes as if he's talking to someone face to face. Whatever it is, he truly shows that God has given him a talent for taking difficult subjects and makes them easy to understand.

Facing Your Giants uses David as an example on overcoming adversity. David was not perfect, and Lucado points out how God uses this flawe
Deanne
This was a great book. I super-extra-a lot loved his writing style! I have never been fond of David in the Bible (prepare for lightening to strike me!) But this analysis of him really helped me gain more interest and respect for all the stories about his life. Max Lucado draws out insights and similes to our own life that are truly amazing. He really was inspired by God's spirit as he wrote this. This is the kind of book you keep on your shelf and pull out again and again when life is giving you ...more
Darin
Jan 02, 2008 Darin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those seeking to understand trials
Shelves: have-read
This book from Max Lucado was an encouragement to me and i do pray and recommende it highly to those whom are seeking a better understanding of why we face trials and giants in our lives.
Max Lucado takes us through the life of David to help us to have a better understanding of such concepts as "losing focus on God" "Striving to follow Him" and truly his writing and method are truly amazingly simple and understandeable.
I myself am a heavy reader and whipped through this book is about 2-3 days of
Leighann Wolle
I must start by saying I read the Teen Edition of this book, but it is not on Goodreads, so I will put my review here. The author of this book, Max Lucado, wanted to take the incredible story of David and relate to modern times, which he did very well. It is often hard to bring Biblical stories, especially Old Testament stories, but Max is able to take each part of David’s life and translate it to relatable terms of today. Monica Hall, who adapted parts of this book to relate to the life of tee ...more
Janne
Max Lucado is such a great author - he makes scripture come alive and brings it to life today - This book is about King David - when he was obediant to God and victorious and when he failed miserably because he got a litle to comfortable in himself without God -just like we all do... we each face giants and we each have our own - this is a great book to help you recoginize what your "giant" is and how to let God help you overcome it.
Chelsea Serrano
Very wonderful book by Max Lucado. I learned about this book from Ate Ellen and I'm glad I bought it. I learned a lot about facing the giants in my life like how David dealt with his. It's a constant reminder to not depend on ourselves because when we do, giants will overwhelm us. Eventually, it'll defeat us. But with God, we can defeat them. Victoriously!
Tabitha
Max Lucado’s book Facing Your Giants is modernly poetic. Lucado’s style of writing is sophisticated yet understatedly simple. In this book Lucado takes the reader on a journey through the life of biblical hero David. You see David’s good and bad and how he faces his giants the different times of his life. I think it’s important to learn from other people’s mistakes, it allows you to save yourself from the misery of making the same mistakes and having to face the consequences of such. Lucado does ...more
Steve Haldi
Innovative and fresh as only Max Lucado can be - a great look at the life of the only person in the Bible referred to as a "man after God's heart" and ways to apply lessons from the life of David - I'm ready for my "nevertheless"
Lindsey
This was my first book by Max Lucado and I really enjoyed it. This book really hit close to home, I learned a lot, and I find his writing style really easy to read. I look forward to reading other books by him.
Jenni
Apr 17, 2007 Jenni rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Max Lucado fans
Shelves: onceisenough
This book is what most other Max Lucado books seem to be: snippets of wisdom from his sermons strung together under the auspices of a common theme. Some gems, but overall nothing compelling, in my opinion.
Jeth
Focus on your giants, you will stumble. Focus on God, your giants will tumble. COooorrrrect! Read this book and be inspired to live a better life for God. :)
Necholas
Menarik membaca bagaimana kisah hidup Daud dikupas habis oleh si penulis. Mulai dari saat Daud dipilih oleh Tuhan untuk menggantikan Saul hingga akhir hidupnya. Kisah hidup Daud memang menarik sekali. Dia mengalami masa-masa hidup yang ekstrim.. pernah sangat rendah, pernah sangat tinggi. Istilah mungkin from zero to hero.. tapi juga from hero to zero again.

Saya mendapatkan banyak pelajaran dari kisah hidup Daud melalui buku ini. Salah satu bab favorit adalah kisah tentang penyakit ketinggian.
Heidi Kelsch
This book is excellent. I would have to say it's a cross between a deep read and an easy read. It's an easy read in that it's not hard to understand and it's definitely a page-turner. It is a deep read in that, like all of Max Lucado's books, it makes you think. Multiple times through out a chapter I would stop myself, reread a paragraph, think about it, and then move on. One thing that surprised me about this book is that it is actually a close look at David's life. You go through each detail a ...more
elfsi
Kisah Daud - Siapakah yang tidak pernah mendengarnya? Ketika Kitab Suci mempersembahkan enam puluh enam pasal bagi kisahnya, lebih dari semua orang lain kecuali Yesus.
Kisah Daud melawan Goliat Sang Raksasa bukan hanya membuat seorang anak kecil terkagum bahkan orang dewasa sekalipun.
Luar biasa ketika menyadari Daud adalah tokoh yang menghadapi semua musim dalam kehidupan ibarat sebuah gelombang ada waktu benar – benar di puncak dan ada waktu benar-benar dibawah dan terjal.
Kehidupannya sama sek
Mark Baker
A Christian non-fiction book that uses the life of David to encourage and challenge the reader to conquer the giants in their lives. Author Max Lucado is a master at making the obvious extraordinary. Just what I needed.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Ken Bickley
Max Lucado's books are always upbeat and encouraging. He never indulges in theological arguments or hair-splitting. His message is not that God is lying in wait for you around the next corner, but that God loves you and wants to give you his best gifts. This book, based on the life of King David, is particularly inspirational. Highly recommended.
Mmtimes4
Giants. We must face them. Yet, we need not face them alone.

This profound look at the life of David digs deeply into the defeats he suffered, and the victories he won, as he faced the giants in his life. When David focused on God, giants tumbled. But when David focused on giants...he stumbled.

Goliaths still roam in our world. Debt. Disaster. Dialysis. Divorce. Deceit. Disease. Depression. These super-sized challenges swagger and strut into our lives, pilfering our sleep, embezzling our peace and
Allan
I find Max Lucado's writing helpful and encouraging in dealing with the daily challenges of life. He has a short chapter on each of various issues that arise in David's life and shows through looking at the relevant Bible passages how he manages them- some well, some not so! I found it particularly good as a devotional aid to start the day- certainly resonated with some of the experiences in my own life with some insights into how to manage them. A great example was the challenge of getting worn ...more
Teens 5 25 Jul 19, 2014 06:17PM
  • Courageous
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman [With 6 DVDs and Leader Guide, Member Book]
  • Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone
  • Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?
  • Falling in Love with Jesus: Abandoning Yourself to the Greatest Romance of Your Life
  • Secrets of the Vine: Breaking Through to Abundance
  • If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat
  • Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God
  • The Power of a Praying Woman
  • Fireproof
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another.
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • A Woman After God's Own Heart
  • Lord, Change My Attitude
  • The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee
  • Recapture the Wonder
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...
You Are Special He Chose the Nails In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear Traveling Light: Releasing the Burdens You Were Never Intended to Bear