Start by marking “Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy Is Undermining the Environmental Revolution” as Want to Read:
Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy Is Undermining the Environmental Revolution

Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy Is Undermining the Environmental Revolution

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In Green Gone Wrong environmental writer Heather Rogers blasts through the marketing buzz of big corporations and asks a simple question: Do today's much-touted "green" products, carbon offsets, organic food, biofuels, and eco-friendly cars and homes really work? Implicit in efforts to go green is the promise that global warming can be stopped by swapping out dirty goods f ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Green Gone Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Gone Wrong

Michelle
Well. Saw this author on "Stossel" and was interested enough, even knowing that we'd have some differences, to pick the book up at the library. I appreciate the author for the work that she has done to trace whether the "green" movement is really doing much good. (Answer: A lot of it isn't.) For example, she shows how organic, Fair Trade businesses really aren't following rules that would improve the environment. The push for biofuels is causing massive deforestation in Indonesia. The Prius isn' ...more
Ian James
May 25, 2015 Ian James rated it liked it
A good investigation and analysis of some pretty catastrophic failures of the Green environmental revolution. It clearly points out how trying to modify "free market" forces towards less destructive practices fails, primarily because of weak regulation, overly reliant on for-profit 3rd-party certifiers, laws written by large corporations, and corruption of governments by corporate money and influence.
While it is unsettling to discover that the Paraguayan sugar I buy from Costco is exploitative
Dawn Ellis
Part of my thesis research. I do find that so often green solutions involve buying something new and not re-using, recycling or reducing.
LibraryCin
Dec 29, 2015 LibraryCin rated it liked it

In this book, the author assumes that global warming is happening. What she is looking at, here, is some of the things we have been trying to do to mitigate global warming, so our intentions are good, but those things are being “twisted” in some way or just really aren't useful in doing what we want them to do, after all.

The book is divided into three sections: Food, Shelter and Transportation. Organic food standards are so watered down and small farmers (who we really think of as bein
Ramin
Feb 04, 2014 Ramin rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book, and definitely worth reading. In each chapter of Green Gone Wrong, Heather Rogers documents the successes and failures of common attempts of "going green" (or greenwashing, as it turns out). There are chapters on organic and fair trade certifications, eco-architecture, biodiesel fuels, hybrid vehicles, and carbon offsets. In each case, many purported solutions to major environmental (and social) problems turn out to be very different than the proponents' claims. Roge ...more
Bridget
Feb 20, 2014 Bridget added it
Shelves: non-fic, unfinished
Too depressing to finish.
Velvetink
Jan 16, 2015 Velvetink marked it as to-read
Shelves: environmental
tubel ebook
Fleece
Sep 12, 2015 Fleece added it
not as in depth as i'd like but still informative enough with the issues it chose and the examples illustrating them. written more than five years ago now though, it'll be interesting to research follow-up--

especially interesting considering that in my ceqa class carbon credits to offset emissions were a pretty big deal, and of course i didn't think they'd be that effective but they're put into a lot of analysis probably without checking the actually efficacy of the credits like this book does
Lori
Dec 02, 2010 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Phew...took me a few months but I finally finished. The cynic in me is cheering that someone finally researched the questions I've always had about so called 'green' solutions. Of course, her investigations don't have to indicate how things are everywhere, but it certainly gives one pause. And makes me want to promise to never, ever, ever buy organic sugar or use biodiesal! Not a quick or easy read but incredibly interesting and one that I'm glad I read.
Ben
Aug 24, 2010 Ben rated it liked it
Interesting, and sobering look at the misuse of 'green'. The trigger for writing the book was great many folks think thought they could be green by simply consuming the right products instead of consuming LESS.

Example: increase in the demand for organic sugarcane = greater clear cutting of forest for sugar plantations. It's hard to say that it's the only reason, but it is easier to certify organic on a new field instead of an old one.
Chris
Apr 17, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Impressive journalism; fantastic analysis. Rogers elucidates how the failures of "green" or "natural" capitalism are the failings of capitalism itself, and that tinkering with a broken system won't save us. Instead, a change of heart, vision and course is necessary, and she highlights some positive examples in need of support, replication and understanding.
Irina
Jun 01, 2010 Irina rated it really liked it
Excellent, lucid and well-researched analysis of the netherworld of "green capitalism" that's sprung up in the absence of an actual energy policy. It's a complicated story, but well worth the effort. Recommended for those who suspect it's not really that bad, as well as those who know it is (you don't know how bad).
Aubrey
Sep 19, 2012 Aubrey rated it really liked it
Essential reading to understand what "green" consumption means. From biofuels to organics, what these terms mean and what they don't: fixes working within the system, rather than critique of the system itself.
Linda
Nov 13, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Very eye-opening book about the efforts to become green. Not exactly light reading, but feel I have a better understanding of this issue. Everything is not what it appears!
Feb 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
A hard read but important. I like the fact that she ends with actual solutions taking place in the world instead of just dwelling on the problems.
Matt
Jul 07, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Definitely adds to the conversation of how best to switch from our dependence on fossil fuels.
Daniel Burton-Rose
This looks great!
Eli
Eli added it
Jul 19, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
E.J.M.
E.J.M. added it
Jul 04, 2016
R. Gabriel Esteves
R. Gabriel Esteves marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Single Rose
Single Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Kris
Kris is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2016
A Delinquent Red Panda
A Delinquent Red Panda marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Jason Edward
Jason Edward rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
  • Now or Never: Why We Must Act Now to End Climate Change and Create a Sustainable Future
  • The Economics of Enough: How to Run the Economy as If the Future Matters
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change
  • Ecology and Socialism: Solutions to Capitalist Ecological Crisis
  • Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day
  • Down to the Wire: Confronting Climate Collapse
  • What Every Environmentalist Needs to Know about Capitalism: A Citizen's Guide to Capitalism and the Environment
  • Storms Of My Grandchildren: The Truth About The Climate Catastrophe And Our Last Chance To Save Humanity
  • The Race for What's Left: The Global Scramble for the World's Last Resources
  • The Enemy of Nature: The End of Capitalism or the End of the World?
  • The Ripple Effect: The Fate of Fresh Water in the Twenty-First Century
  • Blue Revolution: Unmaking America's Water Crisis
  • Twilight of the Machines
  • The Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
  • Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations
  • Hot: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth
  • Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream
Heather Rogers is a journalist and author. She has written for the New York Times Magazine, Mother Jones, and The Nation. Her first book, Gone Tomorrow: The Hidden Life of Garbage, traces the history and politics of household rubbish in the United States. The book received the Editor’s Choice distinction from the New York Times Book Review, and Non-Fiction Choice from the Guardian (UK). Her docume ...more
More about Heather Rogers...