Rex Mundi, Vol. 3: The Lost Kings

Rex Mundi, Vol. 3: The Lost Kings (Rex Mundi #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Doctor Julien Saunière continues his investigation into the theft of a mysterious medieval scroll, only dimly aware of the forces tugging him to the doorstep of the powerful Duke of Lorraine. Lorraine wants to provoke a massive, globe-spanning war that will soak the world in blood — but why? The answer to that question, a deadly confrontation in the ancient catacombs benea...more
Published September 26th 2006 by Dark Horse Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rex Mundi, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rex Mundi, Vol. 3

J
Jun 11, 2008 J rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
The pulp aspect to this story is becoming more apparent to me, which makes it more enjoyable for me. Not to say Rex Mundi is a pulp detective story but the elements are there. Coexisting with the detective angle is the political intrigue boiling around the characters. It’s good stuff, though it seems as if the story doesn’t unfold as smoothly as it could, that it bogs down in the interwoven plotlines. It’s awesome and awkward at the same time. Clever and clumsy. The artists change around on this...more
Darrell
this was a library pick up - had passed it in the comic store and was intrigued by the cover (great design) but always was on a mission to get another title...anyhow - this is a gripping read about an alternative history where the Protestant Reformation never took place...the caliphates stayed in place and the whole of Europe was Catholic...the Holy Grail is something other than a cup...a scheming politician is gunning for the most powerful role in Europe...there is magic abounding, echoes of th...more
Kristopher
Ug... Do we really have to rehash all the "Jesus lived and the holy grail is really Mary Magdalene" story from The Da Vinci Code? If they're going to make me read three trade paperbacks just to uncover some absurd conspiracy theory, couldn't it at least be a unique conspiracy theory?

I'm still going to keep reading, but at the moment, I'm a lot more interested in the brewing holy war and finding out exactly where Dr. Tournon's loyalties lie than bullshit gnostic theories.

Also, wasn't crazy about...more
Albert
The storyline keeps chugging along and I'm hooked. Unfortunately, the art did not improve (even with the changes of artists).
Peter
Plot revelations about the past come in unreasonable lurches. Introduction of new artists has added new elements to the imagery/art. The overall story is tighter than it was earlier.
David Schwan
The book three we have France with greater territorial ambitions all lead by the Duke of Lorraine, and we have Dr. Sauniere leading the chase for the secret that killed his friend Father Marin. The story continues to be interesting. The graphics change style in this volume due to a change in illustrator. I believe the graphical style of Juan Ferreyra is not as good as Eric J & Jeromy Cox.
Ryan Mishap
The action is slow once more as exposition takes over again. Not that it isn't an intriguing story (written before the Da Vinci Code arrived, mind), but the first book was so suprising, the next two are lesser lights.

Hopefully this gets back on the detective tip and dispenses with the long-winded history lessons.

Too bad the library only has up through volume four....
Christian Lipski
Getting better and better. Having read what I assume is the inspirational material behind the story, I'm quite looking forward to how this all ends. The alternate history is the delicious icing on the cake.
Daniel
Yeah, I'm hooked. I'm tracking down the other two volumes already out and joining those breathing down Arvid Nelson's neck for the rest of the tale.
Don
The mysteries in this book keep getting more complex. But it's cool, because they also keep getting more interesting.
Jessica
Really enjoying this series. Like that it moves along at a quick pace, and love the art!
James
Love were they are going with Grail mythology.
Alex Reynolds
Alex Reynolds marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
J.
J. added it
Sep 13, 2014
Arnie Shunneson
Arnie Shunneson marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Steve Tuttle
Steve Tuttle marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Jelena
Jelena added it
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Arvid Nelson is an American comic book writer, best known for the Rex Mundi series.
More about Arvid Nelson...
Rex Mundi, Vol. 1: The Guardian of the Temple Rex Mundi, Vol. 2: The River Underground Rex Mundi, Vol. 4: Crown and Sword Rex Mundi, Vol. 5: The Valley at the End of the World Rex Mundi, Vol. 6: Gate of God