Writings and Drawings (Library of America #90)

Writings and Drawings (Library of America #90)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The library of America is dedicated to publishing America's best and most significant writing in handsome, enduring volumes, featuring authoritative texts. Hailed as the "finest-looking, longest-lasting editions ever made" (The New Republic), Library of America volumes make a fine gift for any occasion. Now, with exactly one hundred volumes to choose from, there is a perfe...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Library of America

To ask other readers questions about Writings and Drawings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writings and Drawings

I thought I'd never finish this damn book. I had read a few short stories by Thurber, was charmed, and figured I'd love a whole collection. I was so wrong. A little Thurber is appealing; too much is appalling.
I enthusiastically read the stories of Thurber's youth in Ohio, enjoying his wacky family and their foibles. His clear condescension for their progression of "colored" maids was grating, however, and perhaps the editor of this collection should have made wiser choices for modern readers.
A...more
Tony
29. Thurber, James. WRITINGS AND DRAWINGS. (Various; this ed. 1996). *****. What would you do if you were presented with a 1,000 page collection of prose pieces and drawings by the 20th century’s master of the short humorous piece? You’d rejoice – of course! Here, collected by Garrison Keillor, are representative selections from most of his books and articles and lots and lots of his drawings. You can read essays from “Is Sex Necessary?” and “The Owl in the Attic.” You can smile as you leaf thro...more
Whitney Archibald
I first encountered Thurber in about 6th grade, when we read a couple of his Fables for Our Times. I loved them then and I love them now. You can't resist a modern, sophisticated Little Red Riding Hood who was not fooled by the wolf in grandmothers' clothing and pulled an automatic from her basket, nor a lazy beaver who learned from the tragic life of his uber-industrious brother that "It's better to have loafed and lost than not to have loafed at all."

This is a great book to snack on, a little...more
Brian
I was in Portland for a week, and reading this book for an hour every morning over coffee in the lobby of Fifth Avenue Suites ranks as one of the most pleasant reading experiences I've ever had. Many of Thurber's stories take place in hotel lobbies, so the synchronicity was palpable. Thurber himself is much more acerbic and witty than I remember him from elementary school. Rediscovering him through this collection of his best pieces, assembled by Garrison Keillor, was a joy. His autobiographical...more
Sheri-lee
His fiction is reminiscent of Robertson Davies. Comical but provoking. I also found his work at The New Yorker interesting. As a Canadian born in the 1970's The New Yorker was never on my radar. I am amazed at the many talented and well known people who were at some point associated or employed by The New Yorker. Craziness. Another world all together. It makes me think of the pin stripe suits of Prohibition and that era. Very interesting. Thurber is one of those jack-of-all-trades in literature...more
Lydia Becker
Weston said I would find some of these stories long i.e. boring. And I kept waiting for the boring ones. There were two maybe three hidden in the 971 pages. Thurber has a great grasp on domestic life and disputes. He worked at The New Yorker for 10 years—he knows how to write. I was sad when I turned the page and realized it was the last page of stories.
Emilie Leming
Not only am I enjoying reading it but Keith Olbermann on Countdown offers a delightful reading of his own from this book (which was the one he read to his father as he was dying.) A super book, well edited... one only wants more... in his inimitable style.
Nick Black
Oct 15, 2013 Nick Black rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nick by: Rebecca Bowen
The pieces on Harold Ross are beautiful and brilliant, as are the early stories. Some of the longer pieces in the middle drag on interminably, especially the overlong and terribly dreary "The 13 Clocks".
M
Thurber wrote some interesting and funny stories in his time, this is a collection of his writings and I often compared his sense of humor to that of Larry David's lol.
Marie
I love Thurber's wry sense of humor! Garrison Keillor as editor should have clued me in that I would like this collection.
Rachel
One of those books you can't read in public because people will think you're crazy, you're laughing so hard the whole time
Dixiana
Thurber is such a great master of humour, irony and bizarre experiences that it is always great to read and re-read him.
Cody
Thurber is an American treasure. This is the best collection of his work I can find. Read it and laugh for hours!
umberto
I first read Thurber in my 20s, I always like his sense of humor as well as his cartoons.
Will
Jun 16, 2008 Will rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Fairly funny. Like the writing better than the drawings.
Thene
Thene marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Marshal
Marshal marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Alexandru Guja
Alexandru Guja marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Margie Williams
Margie Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Karuss
Karuss marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kathy Davidson
Kathy Davidson marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
N Insley
N Insley marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Tiffany Young
Tiffany Young marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
KC
KC marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Nicholas Cox
Nicholas Cox marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • Poe: Poetry and Tales  (Library of America #19)
  • Steinbeck: The Grapes of Wrath and Other Writings, 1936-1941 (Library of America #86)
  • Collected Novels
  • Mississippi Writings: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Life on the Mississippi/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/Puddinhead Wilson (Library of America #5)
  • Crime Novels : American Noir of the 1950s (Library of America #95)
  • Novels: The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence (Library of America #30)
  • Crime Stories and Other Writings
  • Complete Novels and Stories
  • Chandler: Stories and Early Novels
  • Novels and Stories
  • Novels and Stories, 1920-1922
  • Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1859-1865 (Library of America #46)
  • The Benchley Roundup
  • Melville: Redburn/White-Jacket/Moby-Dick (Library of America #9)
  • London: Novels and Stories: The Call of the Wild/White Fang/The Sea-Wolf/Klondike and Other Stories (Library of America #6)
  • Writings (Library of America #91)
  • A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers/Walden/The Maine Woods/Cape Cod (Library of America #28)
  • Collected Stories
Thurber was born in Columbus, Ohio to Charles L. Thurber and Mary Agnes (Mame) Fisher Thurber. Both of his parents greatly influenced his work. His father, a sporadically employed clerk and minor politician who dreamed of being a lawyer or an actor, is said to have been the inspiration for the small, timid protagonist typical of many of his stories. Thurber described his mother as a "born comedien...more
More about James Thurber...
Many Moons The Secret Life of Walter Mitty The 13 Clocks The Thurber Carnival My Life and Hard Times