Start by marking “Cruel Deception” as Want to Read:
Cruel Deception

Cruel Deception

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  654 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In and out of hospitals since birth, angelic nine-month-old Morgan Reid finally succumbed to what appeared to be Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Morgan's Texas-born mother Tanya, a nurse and devoted wife, pulled up stakes with her grieving husband Jim, and moved on. It was the best way to put the past behind them. Until their son Michael, a boy who by all accounts was terrif ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cruel Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruel Deception

4 - A MUST READ for all true crime fans!!

As a fan of true crime I thought this was one of the best books I have read. This is the second book I've read by Gregg Olsen and he is an excellent author. Some true crime novels are terrible because the author writes from the perspective of a journalist and not a story teller. Gregg Olsen, like Ann Rule, does both. The story he has weaved is sinister and heartbreaking.
Cruel Deception is the story of Tanya Thaxton Reid. A mother from Texas who "suffers"
Probably 2 1/2 stars. If you're interested in the child abuse syndrome Munchausen's by proxy, in which parents create signs of illnesses and inflict injuries on their children to obtain medical attention, you might stumble across this book. For the most part, the gripping story of an investigation of a mother suspected of Munchausen's by proxy in the 1980s rises above the clunky writing. I wasn't sure I would make it past the heavy-handed prologue with its mockingbird metaphor and stereotypes of ...more
Knot Telling
Meticulously detailed, Cruel Deception takes a close look at the Munchausen by Proxy (MBP) prosecution of Tanya Reid. It was published in 1999 and the events it recounts took place in the 1980s, when MBP was not yet known even in the medical world, let alone among law enforcement.

MBP is known today as Factitious Disorder Imposed on Another (US, ICD-9 301.51) or Fabricated or Induced Illness by Carers (UK). It describes a situation in which an adult parent or caregiver intentionally induces physi
Colleen N
Gregg Olsen gives a vivid account in Cruel Deception of Tanya Reid and the abuse she inflicts on her young children over a series of years beginning in the 1980’s. Tanya is a woman who comes from Texas and appears to come from a good home. The youngest daughter to John & Wanda Thaxton seems to have a childhood where her parents greatly cared about her and her three sisters. While her father was very strict and sometimes controlling there was no doubt that she was loved. By some accounts she ...more
Eva Leger
May 19, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeannie
Recommended to Eva by: found it in a bookstore
Shelves: b-true-crime
This is one of the craziest stores I've ever come across. How this woman was left to do this for so long is beyond me. What must have been going on in her head is also beyond me. The epitome of true crime.
I was inspired to read this by, believe it or not, having just finished Deadly Choices: How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatens Us All. The subject matter here is the confusion of SIDS with Munchausen's-by-proxy, which is a sickly fascinating mental illness that causes a person to induce symptoms of illness in another (usually their own pre-verbal child), resulting in medical child abuse. This case was one of the first cases to be prosecuted, and it is quite a read.
Chris P
Chilling! Another great non-fiction book by one of the masters of the genre. Highly recommended!
Jul 16, 2011 Jessica is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the back cover of this book as I was removing the Powell's sticker(s) this morning and got sucked into the book itself. Part of a true crime series, which genre, if we can call it that, began with In Cold Blood -- which may be the only other true crime book I've ever read -- this book is about a stay-at-home mother who at first got away with killing her baby daughter and then, away from family and unable to make friends in a new town where her quiet and possibly selfish husband ...more
cheryl kell

Interesting subject and great writing.
I stayed up until 4 am because I had to see how it ended. Only one fault, too much background info about each person in the story. I highly recommend this book.

Well written, a must read .
Anne Hawn Smith
This was a fascinating book about Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. It is also the story some people who showed incredible tenacity in hunting down the proof that Tanya Reed had smothered her infant daughter, Morgan and was attempting to do the same to her son, Michael. It is hard to believe that a person, usually a mother, would risk her child's life in order to draw attention to herself and to become a "partner" with the doctors and nurses who try to protect the lives of her children.
More like 2 and a half stars. Interesting subject but not the best delivery. Many details were repeated multiple times unnecessary.
ok first off he jumped around to much... secondly it was like as soon as the book started getting good and he had me sucked into pages he ruined the moment and I quickly lost interest... it caused the book to drag on and it took way to long for me to read it cause he just kept dropping the ball...and i continued to lose interest
Rebekah Crain
Another chilling true crime tale from Gregg Olsen. Fascinating and complexly horrid. As a mother-no, wait... even just as a person- I can't see how anyone could ever EVER get off on hurting an innocent child. :( MBPS is a sick sick disease, act, or whatever you want to call it.
♥ Marlene♥
on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Finished reading this book on December 10th.
Very good book.
I really like the way Gregg Olsen writes

One of my favorite reads of 2007
WOW, could not put book down. Well written book about the horrors of child abuse.
Crystal Durnan
A story of a case of Munchausen by proxy syndrome. A little dry at times.
Well researched and compelling although the writing is a bit overdramatic.
Jul 27, 2015 Jana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-it
Stand alone
Brooke Davenport
Brooke Davenport marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Leslie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Jennifer Pack
Jennifer Pack marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Kilauna marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Rhonda Ruff
Rhonda Ruff marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Carolyn Powers
Carolyn Powers marked it as to-read
Sandi Gritzmaker
Sandi Gritzmaker marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
  • A Beautiful Child
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • House Of Secrets
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Invisible Darkness
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • Cellar of Horror
  • Son
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • In Broad Daylight
Throughout his career, Gregg Olsen has demonstrated an ability to create a detailed narrative that offers readers fascinating insights into the lives of people caught in extraordinary circumstances.

A New York Times bestselling author, Olsen has written seven nonfiction books, three novels, and contributed a short story to a collection edited by Lee Child.

The award-winning author has been a guest o
More about Gregg Olsen...
Starvation Heights: A True Story of Murder and Malice in the Woods of the Pacific Northwest Envy (Empty Coffin, #1) Abandoned Prayers: The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets A Wicked Snow Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark Series, Book 1)