Start by marking “Fuzzy Dice” as Want to Read:
Fuzzy Dice

Fuzzy Dice

How badly could you screw up when granted access to infinite worlds conforming to your heart's most intimate desires? No matter how much of a disaster you or I might make of such a miraculous gift, rest assured that Paul Girard, hapless middle-aged bookstore clerk, can hilariously surpass your worst fumblings and missteps. Visited one morning by a dimension-hopping artific ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by iBooks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fuzzy Dice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fuzzy Dice

JenniferRuth
Feb 09, 2011 JenniferRuth rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This book is about one of my favourite subjects - the multiverse and the ontological pickle. Our protaganist, Paul Girard, is granted the ability to traverse the mutliverse - an infinite number of universes with an infinite number of possible variations - using a yo-yo made of "strange matter". All he has to do is think of where he wants to go, spin the yo-yo and he'll be there. However, with an infinite number of possibilities there is an infinite amount of interpretation that can be applied to ...more
Tobey
Jan 29, 2010 Tobey rated it liked it
Dennis
Feb 28, 2009 Dennis rated it liked it
My expectations were extremely high for this book, far exceeding what I was able to glean from it, unfortunately.

I almost put the book down after 60-80 pages, due to the superfluously verbose style of writing which signaled (at least, to me) the author's narcissistic tendencies, and overall I kept finding faults with his acute explanations of the narrator's choices. It was a bit frustrating to see some things that I considered contradictory to his intended conclusions, but I decided to stick it
zxvasdf
Oct 05, 2012 zxvasdf rated it liked it
Definitely not one of Di Filippo's best works, but still a fun crash course in the more esoteric fields of Scientific theory. Sheldraken fields, many worlds theory, the Omega Point, to name a few. He packages these heady concepts into an easy to read trip into total weirdness which encapsulates the capricious nature of Murphy's Law or the Genie's granting of a wish.

It does make you wonder, if your life was actually that interesting, only you never knew it...
Donald Armfield
Feb 16, 2011 Donald Armfield rated it it was amazing
My third book by this author I recommend this author to all Sci-Fi, Humor Readers

This was a fantastic ride thru different dimensions. From The beginning normal earth to Cartoon Land. I felt like a passenger in a dolrian traveling beside Christopher Llyod on acid.
Grab your Yo-Yo & Ronald Reagan Pez container and follow this story to the end.
verbava
Feb 28, 2011 verbava rated it liked it
це, звісно, було не так дивовижно, як "стімпанк", але теж дуже симпатично.
фрагментарна книжка - з того розряду, шо, наприклад, "химера" барта чи "мантиса" фаулза. але сподобалася мені більше, ніж вони обидві, може, тому, шо менш претензійна - й кожен зі світів, у яких відбувається дія, ретельно, майже любовно так вибудовує, а не merely описує.
Kim
Aug 29, 2008 Kim rated it did not like it
Forced my way through the first 20 pages, then skipped around to see if it got any better. It didn't, and in fact I kind of hated the main character by the time I put the thing down. I can see how some people are entranced by this book, but I'm not one of them.
Mark
Nov 22, 2007 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes.
Wow... this is the book that got me hooked on Paul Di Filippo stories. The main character meets an alien who may as well be God, as it can do just about anything. It ends up being a fast paced travel thru time, space, and beyond. Fun book, but not for kids.
Christine
Apr 21, 2011 Christine rated it liked it
At first I wasn't too sure. Most of the science went over my head and I hate that! But I didn't go look it up either. Knowledge would hve made the story better I'm sure. But the main character was such a dip it was hard to care.

The book got me at the last chapter and I was glad it did
Jeff Chu
Nov 05, 2012 Jeff Chu rated it really liked it

A good read, in my opinion it's an extension of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but gone awry and more focused on world leaping (Sliders, perhaps?). Many allusions and references to other SF works which add a bit if charm to the story.
Samantha Balmes
Excellent book if you love pondering the existence of life. A lot of fun, satire, and good jokes to light up a very serious philophoical quest.
Mia
Feb 26, 2009 Mia rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f, read-2009
A charmingly silly book that creates potential universes where all kinds of theoretical constructs become real. I found the ending disappointing, otherwise I think I might have rated it higher.
Terrence
May 08, 2011 Terrence rated it really liked it
Although a bit "out there" with the mathematics, I found this enjoyable...especially the homage to kid tee-vee.
Carasel
Carasel rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2011
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Ana Bananabrain
Ana Bananabrain rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2012
Irwin Dolobowsky
Irwin Dolobowsky rated it really liked it
May 24, 2007
alicia croy
alicia croy rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Jordan Gray
Jordan Gray rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2007
Asher Williams
Asher Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Jonathan Munoz
Jonathan Munoz rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Amelia
Amelia rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2007
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
David Chung
David Chung rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Miguel
Miguel rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2010
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Val Delane
Val Delane rated it really liked it
May 21, 2011
  • Pax Titanus
  • Everything is Everything
  • Conjunctions #39: The New Wave Fabulists
  • Her Fingers
  • No Sleep Till Wonderland (Mark Genevich, #2)
  • Baby Hater
  • Captain K and the Bearded Man Boy
  • Foop!
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • The Poison Master
  • Trial of Flowers  (City #1)
  • Muscle Memory
  • Skeleton Crew (Underworld Cycle, #2)

“What had happened was this. When still young, I had gotten the idea from somewhere that I might be able to write... Maybe the deadly notion came from liking to read so much. Maybe I was in love with the image of being a writer. Whatever. It had been a really bad idea. Because I couldn't write, at least not by the bluntly and frequently expressed standards of anyone in a position to offer any encouragement and feedback.” 8 likes
“It was as unsatisfying as a handjob from someone wearing an oven mitt.” 4 likes