Start by marking “Cusp” as Want to Read:
Cusp

Cusp

The year is 2051. An enigmatic entity has its own plan for human evolution, using the supercomputer known as CUSP--the first computer designed to run on the software of the human mind.
Published March 28th 2006 by Ace (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cusp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cusp

Stephanie
Jul 29, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I quit reading this book when the itelligent dinosaurs showed up living in the interior of Phobos. (Phobos is one of Mars' moons.) That just required that I suspend a little too much disbelief. Parts of the story I really enjoyed. If it could've focused more on the Olmos family and the Philly cop I would have pushed through the rest of the book. I made it to page 229 out of 517.
Lee Bee
Jan 22, 2013 Lee Bee rated it it was amazing
Cusp is one of the few books that I’ve read multiple times and would do so again eagerly…Writing this review right now is making me want to read it again! I would rank it in my top five favorite books. Cusp is a science fiction book set about forty years in the future. It takes a different spin and approach to our evolving technologies. From the beginning where the sun has a mysterious jet of energy that propels it towards the earth…and mankind’s planet wide response to avoid this catastrophe ...more
Alex
Dec 25, 2014 Alex rated it liked it
Wow... this was a pretty good book. "Cusp" by Robert Metzger. Honestly I didn't think I was going to like this book but a couple of authors I liked recommended it and the cover looked cool so I decided to give it a whirl.

Story: Our Sun starts moving away... fast.... and suddenly the Earth develops... well...I know this is going to sound stupid but it is actually reasonable in the book... the Earth develops rockets to keep up with the Sun! Then the Sun stops but we are left trying to figure out
Dave
Sep 25, 2009 Dave rated it it was ok
although quickly paced and such an epic theme, it sort of falls flat with a mix of characters you don't seem to care much for and a sci-fi nature that is outrageously sci fi without prepping the reader or setting the story correctly.
after a few pages you begin to get the hang of it, and it is a good easy read but there is a lack of pull into the world which has been created.
I liked it but it needs a little polish at the beginning.
cool ideas though. i don't like the renaming or reassigning the 'i
Paul
Mar 21, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the near future, one day, the Sun throws off a solar flare of record-setting proportions. The Sun actually moves a million kilometers farther away from the Earth, because the solar flare is really a giant jet engine.

Meantime, on Earth, two planet-spanning rings come out of the ground. Many kilometers high and wide, one ring circles the Earth at the Equator, while the North-South ring cuts through eastern North America. Earth's climate is drastically altered, governments fall and millions
Joeschmoe
Jan 08, 2008 Joeschmoe rated it really liked it
CUSP is masterpiece of science fiction. There are few science fiction books I enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed reading CUSP.

To begin with, this book is actually a decent length. Too many times I've read a book that took me less than a weekend or even an afternoon to finish. Don't misunderstand me, there's nothing wrong with a short book. If the story can be told in ten pages, then that's great. However, I hate books that attempt to tell a saga in the space of a paperback. Luckily, this isn't
Lord Nouda
Nov 30, 2011 Lord Nouda rated it liked it
It was really hard to understand at first, the initial few pages had a load of techno-jargon that kinda put me off from reading since I kept trying to decipher what it all meant (at the time not knowing that you had to read ahead to be able to get what the beginning bits meant). If you can get past the first few pages (I actually stopped reading it for a few days before picking it up again and forcing myself past that major hurdle), it's a pretty decent sci-fi book, with loads of "science" ...more
Zach
Mar 06, 2008 Zach rated it it was amazing
I have always loved science fiction and this book has as much energy as a supernova! Though it's length may scare away some readers the actual story holds you in and you don't even think about the length. And the length is long only because everything is explained in great detail. Though the definition of the things may seem technical, in all reality it gives you the perfect mental image and a knowledge of everything they are talking about which lets you enjoy the story more. This story is, in ...more
Daniel Reading
May 20, 2011 Daniel Reading rated it liked it
This is a weird book (it even has Bill Gates as a slightly sinister character!). If your a hard science fiction fan who likes your stories fast paced and full of scientific nuggets and concepts then I would recommend it. The problem is some of the characters and names are a bit weird. The inernet is renamed to be the Void and for some reason enhanced humans decided to call themselves tools (which gave me a little chuckle). This book could have easily been longer, or could have had a second or ...more
Tom
Oct 30, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing
Yea, this tale starts slow as many characters are introduced and the binding of the story is built. Tried to read it when it first came out but could not devote the focus that is demanded. Finally took the time and found with great pleasure that it was well worth the effort. I'm looking forward to reading it again. This has to be one of the most hard-core sci-fi novels I've ever enjoyed. Outlandish in it's concepts I haven't stopped thinking about it since finishing a few months ago. To me, that ...more
Krait
Feb 26, 2010 Krait rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Sometimes I feel dispair searching for good hard science fiction among all the fantasy novels that seem to have taken over in the book stores in the last 25 years. And then I come across a book like Cusp and my faith in good science fiction writing is restored.

I won't bore you with a summary of the book here. I'll just say that this one certainly lives up the the statement that "Science fiction is the only truly mind-expanding drug".
Paul Coyne
Oct 22, 2014 Paul Coyne rated it it was ok
I have not and do not plan on finishing this book. I got to page 167 and became flabbergasted. I have a bittersweet relationship with science fictions. Some will keep you attached, but some will let you stray away, and when you return to the book you forget many things. Science fictions in my opinion are the hardest reads due to the fact that they have vivid new vocabulary, and often times present a very hard concept to grasp your head around. This book would be good for mystery buffs who like ...more
Servius  Heiner
Nov 10, 2007 Servius Heiner rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, crap-sci-fi
Still reading seems alright so far, still getting into it, so it's a slow starter.

Ok so this is how it breaks down, the first two sections of the book are slow and disjointed, the middle is good, but a pretty weak and boaring ending. But i give it 3 stars for concept and the good 3 sections in the middle.
Eric
Dec 01, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that loves hard sf.
Shelves: sf
A giant ring of engines suddenly erupts out of the depths of the earth, and they fire, moving the earth into a new orbit. And that's just in the preface.

Absurd as the idea sounds, Metzger pulls it off, and goes even farther with this sweeping book.

It's the first one that I've read in a long time that took my breath away, with its audacity and exuberant imagination.
Joe
Jul 28, 2009 Joe rated it did not like it
Joe Slavinsky
Jan 16, 2016 Joe Slavinsky rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! This book is what makes hard science fiction fan's little hearts go pitty-pat. Extraordinary concepts(which include the Earth & Sun moving out of their orbits, talking, intelligent dinosaurs, and time travel), a twisted plot, and some great characters, make this a serious page-turner, as well. Do yourself a favor, and read this book. You won't regret it.
Tim Knight
Jun 10, 2012 Tim Knight rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It was a good book. I don't know whether to like or hate it. An interesting use of a person we love to hate, and solving the puzzles in the book were fun, but the story bears a similarness to A.C.Clarke's magic and science atatement
Matthew Bryant
Nov 10, 2012 Matthew Bryant rated it it was amazing
It took a while to get into, but it was the concept that really pulled me in. I'd read some of Robert Metzger's short stories before and they've really stuck with me over the years. An amazing story from a great mind in astro-physics.
Keith
Feb 28, 2009 Keith rated it liked it
Some really big ideas - I got into the book and was excited for the end - and it seemed the author was in a hurry to finish. I felt like the end stopped to soon. Its an idea book and not a linear details books - the timeframe is too large to spend a lot of time with characters.
Jake
Dec 28, 2010 Jake rated it really liked it
Its a pretty deep sci-fi read, and although it is hard (Mostly because it is heavy sci-fi)to get through, the plot is extremely catching and original. The reason I rated it 4/5 instead of 5/5 is because I would have liked to have some of the characters fleshed out a little bit more.
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 15, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Entirely original and huge ideas, but neither the plot nor characters ever really caught my attention, making it a slow trudge.
Rich Brown
Dec 14, 2015 Rich Brown rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Always fun to see a bunch of reviews in which people reveal how many pages they endured before giving up on an almost-good, "man, this keeps getting stupider" novel. Page 360 for me!
Bob Rust
Jun 29, 2016 Bob Rust rated it it was amazing
CUSP (2005) features an AI capable it seems of wishing to run an earth transformed by a macro-engineered creation of world-encircling rings which constitute a new Power Source.
Tim
Feb 01, 2008 Tim rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
the flyleaf looked interesting... just started

Finished - this was a real chore to get through. OVer 500 pages long - the story itself, i think, could have been done in 300.
Ted
Mar 06, 2008 Ted rated it liked it
Great ideas, but very poor characterization. I just didn't care about any of the characters at all. Ultimately disappointing as a result.
Michael O'Donnell
Dec 12, 2011 Michael O'Donnell rated it liked it
So very expansive ideas but at the expense of character development. Life would not have survived and the fact it does is just a little irritating.
Edward
Edward rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2009
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2009
Justin Howard
Justin Howard rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
Patrick Mozdzierz
Patrick Mozdzierz rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sister Alice
  • Shelter
  • Spindrift (Coyote Universe, #4)
  • Time Machines Repaired While-U-Wait
  • The Silver Ship and the Sea (The Silver Ship, #1)
  • The Two Moons (Giants, #1-2)
  • A Grey Moon Over China
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
  • Emperor (Time's Tapestry, #1)
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • Odyssey (The Academy, #5)
  • Engineman
  • Metaplanetary
  • Mind Over Ship
  • Debatable Space
  • Radio Freefall
  • Silver Screen
  • Singularity's Ring
Science fiction author and electrical engineer
More about Robert A. Metzger...