Start by marking “Danzig Trilogy: The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse, Dog Years” as Want to Read:
Danzig Trilogy: The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse, Dog Years

Danzig Trilogy: The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse, Dog Years (The Danzig Trilogy #1-3)

A critical examination of Grass's work offers overwhelming evidence that Cat and Mouse and Dog Years are part of a unified structure begun by The Tin Drum and that they continue to explore the same key figures, themes, and symbols. A Helen and Kurt Wolff Book.
Published October 15th 1987 by Harcourt (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Danzig Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danzig Trilogy

John Doe
Jun 27, 2016 John Doe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is three novels taken together: The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse, and Dog Years. The Tin Drum is probably the best and the most famous of the three. It is better than the movie, and the movie is pretty good.

Cat and Mouse is about teens in Germany. The sex stuff is rather surprising. Sometime kids can be gross and these kids are no exception. I liked Cat and Mouse best because it reminded me of living in Germany as a exchange student.

I didn't like Dog Years at first, but it grew on me. I am try
Heather Eisenbarth
I would like to visit Poland, my college roomate got lyme disease in the mountains there.
Michael Battaglia
May 17, 2017 Michael Battaglia rated it it was amazing
I think its pretty safe to say that when most people think about the words "magical realism" (if they think about the term at all) they probably link it with, in approximate order, Latin American literature, Penn and Teller and live-action role playing, with German literature appearing way, way down the line. So an entire trilogy centered around Germany before, during and after World War II featuring magical realist elements might be a tough sell for a lot of people, especially when you sweeten ...more
Kate
Aug 18, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic of the 20th Century. One you should read before you die, but only when you're ready to shut yourself off from the world for many days. Flawed, yes, and perhaps too long-winded at times (reduced by a third it would have been perfect) but this is an important, mind-expanding trilogy that you can absolutely lose yourself in. It shows you what a novel can achieve and it opened the door for so many great writers, such as John Irving and Salman Rushdie, etc etc
Realini
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
Inspiring at times

This is my third encounter with The Tin Drum. I have read the book, saw the very good film by Volker Schlondorff (note: I am missing the German letters for the “covered” u and o).
This last meeting of Oskar and his drum was in the form of a play adapted for the radio. I am not quite sure what to make of it though. We are dealing with a very special, interesting and at times shocking novel, which I both like and somehow feel repelled by.
Gunter Grass, t
Phil
Jan 21, 2008 Phil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joyce fans
This huge volume is stuffed with the guilt-plagued writings of Gunter Grass, the Good German. In the last few years, as his membership in the Waffen SS at the end of the war came to light he was accused of hypocracy but that was nonsense. He was a seventeen-year-old private during the last months of the war. The books in the trilogy range from the brilliant Tin Drum, the forgettable Cat and Mouse, and the ponderous Dog Years. The Tin Drum, whose first half was made into Volker Schlondorff's mast ...more
Albert
Mar 28, 2014 Albert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these books many years ago, as well as the Flounder, and have always enjoyed the writing and storytelling of Grass. One of my literary partners in crime, Phillip Lee Duncan, turned me on to him early in our relationship, and by strange happenstance, the author came to Houston for a book signing which we attended. I still have my autographed copy of "The Flounder" which is still my favorite of his books. That being said, all of these books are great as well, just my contrary nature makes m ...more
Jul 27, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Tin Drum" is one of my favorite books just because it's so bizarre. I couldn't get into "Cat and Mouse" and "Dog Years" in the same way. The plot of "Dog Years" seemed really complex and hard to follow. In many parts, I wasn't sure if I was following what Grass was trying to say. Also, he has this obsession with listing things, which gets tired when you're struggling with the plot.
I still respect Grass as a writer because of his way with words. His translator must have had a hell of a time
Ryan
Jun 06, 2007 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Tin Drum is the best of the three. But two and three have their merits. I was hooked at the second sentence "and my keeper's eye is the shade of brown that can never see through by a blue-eyeed type like me." The narrator's first memory is of a ceiling fan in his living room. The image has been in my head for years. Most of what Gunther Grass writes is shit. This is him possessed by genius.
Mans
Eerder dit jaar zag ik de film naar de blikken trommel voor de tweede keer, nu op tv. Net als indertijd in de bioscoop: sterk!
Nu stond een stadsreis naar Gdansk/danzig op ons programma: een goede aanleiding om de Danzig/triologie erbij te pakken.
Kelsey
Aug 17, 2012 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love The Tin Drum, and am re-reading in preparation for finishing the trilogy.
<3 <3
Mike
Jun 18, 2007 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Fastastic writing, in every sense of the word. I'm not really into WWII stories but this reaches beyond all that.
Bigmakmotorbreath
i loved all of these books
Konstantin grimm
famos
Kim
Oct 06, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Some of the most amazing characters I've ever encountered. Truly.
Louie
Sep 28, 2016 Louie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite German author.
Eileen
Apr 04, 2013 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not as spellbinding as The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse and Dog Years continued in the same vein.
Derwood Pamphilon
Jul 01, 2009 Derwood Pamphilon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning characterization and description of a key period in German history
David Cain
Jul 15, 2012 David Cain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnificent
Maarten
Maarten rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2009
Irma D. Rockwell
Irma D. Rockwell rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Debaroti Roy
Debaroti Roy rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Laura Edwards
Laura Edwards rated it it was ok
May 06, 2014
Zombiouscrustacean
Zombiouscrustacean rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2014
kathy.mag.schoki
kathy.mag.schoki rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Mansoura Ez-Eldin
Mansoura Ez-Eldin rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2009
Jim Leckband
Jim Leckband rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011
Ekaterina Gavrilova
Ekaterina Gavrilova rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
  • A River Dies of Thirst: journals
  • Nachlaß zu Lebzeiten
  • Season of Ash
  • Der Verbrecher aus verlorener Ehre
Günter Wilhelm Grass was a Nobel Prize-winning German novelist, poet, playwright, illustrator, graphic artist, and sculptor.
He was born in the Free City of Danzig (now Gdańsk, Poland). Since 1945, he lived in West Germany, but in his fiction he frequently returned to the Danzig of his childhood. He always identified himself as a Kashubian.

He is best known for his first novel, "The Tin Drum" (1959)
More about Günter Grass...

The Danzig Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Tin Drum