Danzig Trilogy: The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse, Dog Years

Danzig Trilogy: The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse, Dog Years (The Danzig Trilogy #1-3)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A critical examination of Grass's work offers overwhelming evidence that Cat and Mouse and Dog Years are part of a unified structure begun by The Tin Drum and that they continue to explore the same key figures, themes, and symbols. A Helen and Kurt Wolff Book.
Published October 15th 1987 by Harcourt (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Danzig Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danzig Trilogy

Realini
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
Inspiring at times

This is my third encounter with The Tin Drum. I have read the book, saw the very good film by Volker Schlondorff (note: I am missing the German letters for the “covered” u and o).
This last meeting of Oskar and his drum was in the form of a play adapted for the radio. I am not quite sure what to make of it though. We are dealing with a very special, interesting and at times shocking novel, which I both like and somehow feel repelled by.
Gunter Grass, t...more
Albert
I read these books many years ago, as well as the Flounder, and have always enjoyed the writing and storytelling of Grass. One of my literary partners in crime, Phillip Lee Duncan, turned me on to him early in our relationship, and by strange happenstance, the author came to Houston for a book signing which we attended. I still have my autographed copy of "The Flounder" which is still my favorite of his books. That being said, all of these books are great as well, just my contrary nature makes m...more
Kate
A classic of the 20th Century. One you should read before you die, but only when you're ready to shut yourself off from the world for many days. Flawed, yes, and perhaps too long-winded at times (reduced by a third it would have been perfect) but this is an important, mind-expanding trilogy that you can absolutely lose yourself in. It shows you what a novel can achieve and it opened the door for so many great writers, such as John Irving and Salman Rushdie, etc etc
Heather Eisenbarth
I would like to visit Poland, my college roomate got lyme disease in the mountains there.
Phil
Jan 21, 2008 Phil rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joyce fans
This huge volume is stuffed with the guilt-plagued writings of Gunter Grass, the Good German. In the last few years, as his membership in the Waffen SS at the end of the war came to light he was accused of hypocracy but that was nonsense. He was a seventeen-year-old private during the last months of the war. The books in the trilogy range from the brilliant Tin Drum, the forgettable Cat and Mouse, and the ponderous Dog Years. The Tin Drum, whose first half was made into Volker Schlondorff's mast...more
"The Tin Drum" is one of my favorite books just because it's so bizarre. I couldn't get into "Cat and Mouse" and "Dog Years" in the same way. The plot of "Dog Years" seemed really complex and hard to follow. In many parts, I wasn't sure if I was following what Grass was trying to say. Also, he has this obsession with listing things, which gets tired when you're struggling with the plot.
I still respect Grass as a writer because of his way with words. His translator must have had a hell of a time...more
Alison Zemanek
I used to bring the paperback books from the bookstore to a recycle shed in Broomfield. Of course, I would often find myself scouring through and bringing home more books than I ever should have. Well, I found an awesome old copy of this trilogy and have been meaning to read it for years. I highly recommend scouring through recycled book sheds (although I don't know of any besides the one in Broomfield)!!
Ryan
The Tin Drum is the best of the three. But two and three have their merits. I was hooked at the second sentence "and my keeper's eye is the shade of brown that can never see through by a blue-eyeed type like me." The narrator's first memory is of a ceiling fan in his living room. The image has been in my head for years. Most of what Gunther Grass writes is shit. This is him possessed by genius.
Mike
Jun 18, 2007 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
Fastastic writing, in every sense of the word. I'm not really into WWII stories but this reaches beyond all that.
Eileen
While not as spellbinding as The Tin Drum, Cat and Mouse and Dog Years continued in the same vein.
Kelsey
I love The Tin Drum, and am re-reading in preparation for finishing the trilogy.
<3 <3
Derwood Pamphilon
Stunning characterization and description of a key period in German history
Kim
Some of the most amazing characters I've ever encountered. Truly.
Bigmakmotorbreath
i loved all of these books
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
João Ribeiro
João Ribeiro marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Nino Giorgadže
Nino Giorgadže marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Raluca
Raluca marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Elena Somova
Elena Somova marked it as to-read
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Unal
Unal marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • Master and Man and Other Stories
  • Wittgenstein's Vienna
  • The Natural Order of Things
  • Gaza Blues: Different Stories
Günter Wilhelm Grass is a Nobel Prize-winning German author and playwright.
He was born in the Free City of Danzig (now Gdańsk, Poland). Since 1945, he has lived in West Germany (now Germany), but in his fiction he frequently returns to the Danzig of his childhood.
He is best known for his first novel, The Tin Drum, a key text in European magic realism. His works frequently have a strong left wing,...more
More about Günter Grass...
The Tin Drum (The Danzig Trilogy, #1) Cat and Mouse (The Danzig Trilogy, #2) Crabwalk Dog Years (The Danzig Trilogy, #3) The Flounder