Start by marking “The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy” as Want to Read:
The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy

The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The pot thief is back, but this time Hubert Schuze' larceny is for a good cause. He wants to recover sacred pots stolen from San Roque, the mysterious New Mexico pueblo closed to outsiders. An easy task for Hubert Schuze, pot digger. Except these pots are not under the ground - they're 150 feet above it. In the top-floor apartment of Rio Grande Lofts, a high-security build ...more
Published November 15th 2009 by Dark Oak Mysteries

To ask other readers questions about The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Mar 30, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
After reading this novel, by J. Michael Orenduff, I think Ptolemy would have been well served studying The Pot Thief. I truly enjoy the adult discussions that Hubie and Susannah and others indulge in. All while enjoying those luscious sounding Margaritas.

This go round Hubie gets involved in a murder while trying to support Susannah's love life and also restoring, to their rightful owners, some ancient tribal pottery. Although Hubie is low-tech, he grasps the essentials of technology to find crea
Holli Castillo
Feb 02, 2011 Holli Castillo rated it it was amazing
The follow up to the Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras is just as good if not better. Hubert Schuze is up to old tricks "acquiring" pots. I won't say stealing, because you can only steal something if it actually belongs to the person you are taking it from. At least, that's how Hubert looks at it.

Hubert has a difficult time even locating these particular pots, and in the meantime meets a hot woman, does a little B & E, and gets accused of a murder. How's that for a few day's work?

I don't wa
Ivyd
Jan 27, 2014 Ivyd rated it really liked it
THE POT THIEF WHO STUDIED PTOLEMY centers around extremely rare and beautiful Ma pots from the mysterious San Roque pueblo. San Roque is the Spanish name; the Indians refer to themselves as the Ma and these pots are sacred to them. A former UNM professor, Masoir, believes that the recently retired head of the Anthropology Department, Gerstner, never returned them; that he, in fact, stole them.
This sets Hubert off to find out if the pots are indeed in Gerstner’s apartment in the Rio Grande Lofts
Ronna
Feb 23, 2013 Ronna rated it really liked it
In this second 'pot thief mystery', , Hubert, 'the pot thief' is involved with trying to return some ancient ceremonial pots to the people at San Roque---a secret New Mexico pueblo closed from outsiders. In the process of finding these pots, Hubert finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to become a murder suspect. His escapades in getting himself into and out of a 'secure' high rise building are an experience in belly laughs, to say the least.

Hubert, and his best friend Susanna, exc
Sheila Beaumont
I found this to be a most satisfying and entertaining read. This mystery, featuring pot digger and craftsman Hubert Schuze, who plans to break into an apartment to retrieve some sacred Pueblo pots that were stolen by a deceitful professor of anthropology & archaeology, is set in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where I lived for several years, and the author does a terrific job of portraying the distinctive culture and flavor of that area.

The book is also very funny, and made me laugh out loud many
Melissa Bryant
Jan 03, 2016 Melissa Bryant rated it liked it
I picked up this author because of my interest in Native American history and art, how collectors think and acquire, and because I know Albuquerque so well. I wasn't disappointed. I like how the author brings in science, philosophy, and anthropology to the story. The writing was a little uneven in places, but generally enjoyable. I had to do some re-reading to get the gist of the progression of the mystery, but that could just be me. I'll probably read more of this series.
Amber Foxx
Nov 05, 2015 Amber Foxx rated it it was amazing
This series feels like a get-together with friends. I enjoy the characters’ company as much as I enjoy the plots. The intelligence and humor make every page shine, as Hubie steals for the greater good with insights inspired by Ptolemy’s study of the motion of planets. The mystery includes not only ancient and valuable pots that have gone missing but Hubie’s unexpected encounter with a woman who finds him irresistible, his friend Susannah’s latest attempt at romance, and an obscure eastern Europe ...more
Lucy
Jul 10, 2015 Lucy rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for science, puns, NM, unrequited love, margaritas and rellenos. I enjoyed this funny book and I appreciate the many references to other mystery series such as Mrs. Pollifax.
Debra
Dec 07, 2014 Debra rated it really liked it
Nice mystery ... but nicer conversations with Hubert and Susannah. I want to pull up a chair, pour a Margarita, and join in. so I read the pot thief books instead.
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, new-mexico
Hubert , our main protagonist takes a while to get into the meat of his adventure in this second book of the series, but when he gets going the reader is happy to be along for the ride. It is fun to polish up some of the scientific facts you have forgotten since school and to have a few laughs along the way.
Lisa Airey
Dec 05, 2012 Lisa Airey rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Out of all the Pot Thief mysteries (and I've read them all) this was my favorite. The connection between earth and sky really resonates in the story and is interwoven in a seamless whole. Funny at a highly intellectual level. Great stuff here.
Catherine
Jun 23, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it
Fun mystery set in New Mexico dealing with ancient pottery. Characters are likable and interesting. Laugh out loud funny from time to time and a good story. He has 3 more in the series so far and I look forward to reading them as well.
Sue
Aug 11, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
There's nothing i've seen that compares to the New Mexico night sky. Another good read and, once again, it took me right back to New Mexico. This series keeps improving.
Juliana
Apr 26, 2016 Juliana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book just made me want to spend a week in New Mexico eating and drinking!! By the way, Gruet IS really, really good!! (Although, I prefer the Gran Rose)
Ronn
Jul 24, 2012 Ronn rated it really liked it
Yes, it's kind of light-weight, but it's well-written and fast-moving, and thus quite enjoyable.
Brian Williams
Jan 23, 2012 Brian Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great whimsical murder mystery written in the style of Lawrence Block.
Susan Gardiner
Jul 12, 2013 Susan Gardiner rated it it was amazing
Good read and be careful you may just learn a little about Ptolemy too.
Leslie Angel
Raji
Raji rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Srivilasica
Srivilasica is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Trulyaragorn
Trulyaragorn marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Sarahandus
Sarahandus rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 14, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Lee Lawson
Lee Lawson rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mike Orenduff grew up in a house so close to the Rio Grand that he could frisbee a tortilla into Mexico. Despite such antics, he ended up in higher education, teaching at thirteen colleges in eight states and three countries. He was also an academic dean three times, an academic vice-president twice, a president four times, and a statewide chancellor once. His supporters say he welcomes new challe ...more
More about J. Michael Orenduff...

A Pot Thief Murder Mystery (7 books)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Einstein
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied D. H. Lawrence (#5)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Billy the Kid