An Unkindness of Ravens

An Unkindness of Ravens

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In An Unkindness of Ravens, Meg Kearney's poems weave voices of estrangement and redemption: mothers, daughters, lovers of gin and dead things. In the middle poems, the protagonist confronts "Raven": a figure of guises and disguises, revealing the speaker's fears and angst. National Book Critics Circle Award-winning poet Donald Hall has written the Foreword.

Meg Kearney is...more
Published October 1st 2001 by BOA Editions Ltd. (first published 2001)

K.B.L.
It isn't very often that:
I read a book of poetry in one sitting;
I want to own a copy of the said book to have, love, and will actually reread.

I find that, while the poems of the haunting raven (part two, Redemption Arcade) are a necessity to the story, I'm more drawn to those which speak more directly-- those in parts one (Unkindness Of Ravens) and three (Adoptive Measures).

I feel like this collection of poems is a cohesive story of a woman's life: abandonment of sorts by a mother fallen from g...more
Danielle
Kearney has split herself open to write these poems and the reader feels it, blushes, almost has to look away from the page. There are two voices in this book that both work together and at odds with one another. There is the wild woman who comes “to sex as she’d come to gin,” who knows she isn’t “holy, or chaste, or/ even sorry” (“Gin,” p. 18). Then, there is another voice. It’s the voice we all push back, deep into our bellies— it’s the voice of abandonment and longing that Kearney captures so...more
Amy
In my quest to learn to love poetry so I can share it with my students with more joy, I met Meg Kearney and heard her read aloud her poems. I had to buy the book to re-read "Creed," which gave me hope that I could write my own creed poem. The emotional juxtaposition in "An Unkindness of Ravens" makes this collection grab on and not let go. My experience with poetry has been transformed.
hannah
"baby, relax, enjoy it while you can"
Donna Friend
Donna Friend marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Stefanie Carlson cole
Stefanie Carlson cole marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
May 17, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2010
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2009
Allyjoe21
Allyjoe21 marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2009
Trouper The Secret of Me: a Novel in Verse Home by Now The Girl in the Mirror: A Novel Just a Writer's Thing: A Collection of Prose and Poetry from the National Book Foundation's 1995 Summer Writing Camp