Start by marking “This Forsaken Earth (The Sea Beggars, #2)” as Want to Read:
This Forsaken Earth (The Sea Beggars, #2)

This Forsaken Earth (The Sea Beggars #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  238 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
He’s spoken of only in whispers. His origins are a mystery. Some say that he’s descended from the last of the angels. Others say much worse. By all appearances, Rol Cortishane is just another ruthless pirate roaming the lawless seas, raiding warships and slavers. But the truth is something far more complicated and dangerous than anyone can imagine, including Rol. Even as h ...more
Published November 28th 2006 by Spectra (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about This Forsaken Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Forsaken Earth

Martin Belcher
Jun 25, 2012 Martin Belcher rated it it was amazing
I cannnot praise this book enough, I finished this book in record time for me, I just couldn't put it down. Rol is a great character and his adventure just gets better.

The plot starts to cobweb out in this book and we find ourselves meeting some old characters from the first book that have a devastating effect on Rol Cortishane including Canker, King of thieves from Ascari and Rowen Bar Hethrun, his half sister and rightful heir to the throne of Bionar - I wont give anymore away as it would spoi
Todd
Dec 11, 2012 Todd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I was quite pleased by this book. I usually stray away from fantasy novels mixed with gunpowder, but I was impressed. Rol is an excellent character and I'm stuck wondering where the story will go.
Megan
Jun 15, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing
I really really really want the third book.
Anasylvia
Sep 15, 2014 Anasylvia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
I absolutely loved The Mark of Ran and couldn’t wait to get my hands on its sequel The Forsaken Earth. I have to say that I enjoyed The Mark of Ran best, but that in no way did The Forsaken Earth disappoint.

It’s difficult to describe a sequel without giving away spoilers. The plot of the The Forsaken Earth picks up a few months after The Mark of Ran left off. In the Mark of Ran, Rol and Rowen discover some very shocking news about themselves which lead them each to their own quest to discover w
Charlene Roberts
Feb 14, 2013 Charlene Roberts rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers and readers who enjoy ship lore
This book is the second in The Sea Beggars series. It continues the travels of Rol Cortishane, as he now accepts his life as a pirate and lives with a society in the ancient ruins of Ganesh Ka.

However, his half-sister Rowen, who has challenged the king by stating she is the true heir, hunts Rol down to help her win the country of Bionar. Although he should know better he goes and is involved in a great war. He finally escapes with his friends and make their way by foot back to Ganesh Ka.

I don't
Patrick D
Nov 29, 2012 Patrick D rated it liked it
I read the first two books of the Sea Beggars series after finishing the Monarchies of God omnibus edition and the Macht series. Sea Beggars has one story line and follows the adventure of Rol.

I love his descriptions of battle scenes which involve early modern black powder warfare with pikes and other weapons. I was most invested in this portions of the book. I enjoy the side characters more than the main character who is sort of a Byronic hero.

The main focus is on Rol and that's the only story.
Mark L
Oct 13, 2013 Mark L rated it really liked it
The author has a deft hand when it comes to shading in details subtly over time. Everything I have ever read by Kearney has been very well written - so, I am looking forward to the next book in the Sea Beggars series. Sadly, finding out when this will be released is problematic as Mr Kearney no longer has a webpage.

This Forsaken Earth was published in 2006. I did enjoy the Macht books released since this publication. The flair in the battle scenes are some of the best I have read. I will be kee
Janet
Jul 16, 2011 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: wars-and-thrones
I was just as caught up in Rol and Rowan's story in This Forsaken Earth (Sea Beggars #2) as in the first of the series, The Mark of Ran. Unfortunately, the story again cuts off with much unresolved, and since Kearney hasn't touched this series since 2006, it may stay at this unsatisfactory finish. That said, I appreciated how Kearney resisted 'making it all come out right in the end' and maintained the gritty and dark tone throughout.
Ruth
Sep 30, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: spec-fic
c2006. Loved this instalment as well. Characters are well drawn and I can't believe that I have to wait for the next instalment. Good premise and original (well, to me anyway). Gallico is my favourite at the moment. "Always, the nobility built their homes on the higher ground - it was a basic of human nature that the rulers must look down on those they ruled"
Brennan Griffin
Jun 30, 2011 Brennan Griffin rated it liked it
Paul Kearney seems a bit over-rated to me, but this one moved quickly enough to be interesting. I think its hard for me to get into because his characters are unrelentingly dark, with few redeeming traits. That may be my failing as a reader, but I just don't much care about his main characters because of it.
Warner707
Nov 30, 2010 Warner707 is currently reading it
its really intresting becuase it has the not really harry potter but more hbit feel to it this is one of those books if you like lord of the rings youll love this
Andre
Aug 24, 2012 Andre rated it liked it
Further development of the pirate captain getting caught up in a civil war. A good developing story.
Anonymole
Oct 04, 2008 Anonymole rated it it was amazing
First was good - this one a bit less so. Still very good reading.
Remy
Oct 21, 2010 Remy rated it really liked it
Very good story, sad to hear next book is being held up...
Morgan
Nov 03, 2010 Morgan rated it really liked it
just read it but it gives an incomplete end and there isn't a sequel, but overall is a good book
Rebecca Burns
Rebecca Burns marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Alexis Sullivan
Alexis Sullivan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Nicolás Brian
Nicolás Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Luck23
Luck23 added it
Feb 03, 2016
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Dawne
Dawne rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Paul Spicer
Paul Spicer rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Karl
Karl rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Ashley Cortez
Ashley Cortez marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Ashwin
Ashwin marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Hank Stram
Hank Stram rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
  • The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)
  • The Shadows of God (Age of Unreason, #4)
  • Corum (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #4)
  • The Bonemender's Oath (The Bonemender, #2)
  • Dark of the Gods (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • Colours in the Steel (Fencer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Healthy Dead (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #2)
  • Dossouye (Dossouye, #1)
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 13
  • The Tain
  • Involution Ocean
  • A Tear in the Sky (Templar Chronicles #3)
  • Spirit of the Stone (Shadowleague, #2)
  • Elfsorrow (Legends of the Raven, #1)
  • Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider, #1)
  • Northlander (Tales of the Borderlands, #1)
  • A Dreamer's Tales
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
Paul Kearney was born and grew up in Northern Ireland. He lived for some years in Copenhagen, then spent two years in America before returning to Britain in 1998.

Paul Kearney was born in Ballymena, Northern Ireland, in 1967. He went to a local grammar school, and then to Lincoln College, Oxford, where he read Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse, and Middle English and was a keen member of the Mountaineering So
More about Paul Kearney...

The Sea Beggars (2 books)
  • The Mark of Ran (The Sea Beggars, #1)