Start by marking “The Adventures of Robin Hood” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Robin Hood

The Adventures of Robin Hood

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  9,848 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
The classic story of social justice and outrageous cunning.

Robin Hood, champion of the poor and oppressed, stands against the cruel power of Prince John and the brutal Sheriff of Nottingham. Taking refuge in the vast Sherwood Forest with his band of men, he remains determined to outwit his enemies.

With an introduction by bestselling author John Boyne, and including child-f
Published June 29th 1995 by Puffin Classics (first published 1956)

Nickolas the Kid
Αυτή ακριβώς την έκδοση την είχα διαβάσει στο δημοτικό γύρω στις 50 φορές... Ακόμα θυμάμαι την δομή του βιβλίου και την αυθαίρετη μετάφραση ονομάτων, τύπου Little John = Τζωνάκης και Will Scarlet = Γουίλ ο Κόκκινος!!!!
dthaase
Jan 25, 2011 dthaase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure adventure and a wonderful read with the boys. Green knows how to weave together action scenes and each tale causes the reader to lean in and be a part of the story.. There is a reason this is a classic tale. I highly recommend this book as well as Green's "King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table". Here's one of my favorite quotes from this book as Robin first calls forth his merry men in Sherwood Forest:

"Now, my friends, we do not take from these and their kind to enrich ourselves. W
Melanie
Jul 07, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to read Robin Hood. Yes, it is absolutely from my obsession with the Disney fox movie and yes, that is still the greatest cartoon of all time (according to me) I grew up obsessed with it and wore the VHS tape out and I could probably quote the entire movie from memory.

So, does the real thing measure up? Yes!!! I think they complimented each other well! This book is absolutely suitable for a younger reader (there is death in it, but not gruesome) if anything negative its too sh
Emily
First of all, the Folio Society edition of this book is absolutely gorgeous to see and touch. Secondly, I'm surprised I never read this when I was younger? Somehow, this book escaped my attention. Who knows why.

Essentially, this book is quite similar to Howard Pyle's, with two main differences. The language is more accessible, and Marian is present and has a role (rather than being mentioned in passing only once). There were a few chapters with stories I'd never heard before. Namely, Robin being
Susanne
Dec 18, 2015 Susanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Robin Hood war schon als Kind eine meiner liebsten Figuren in der Literatur und auch heute noch finde ich die Vorstellung von einem Rebellen, der die Reichen beraubt, ohne sich selbst bereichern zu wollen, faszinierend. Nur - Roger Lancelyn Greens "Robin Hoods Abenteuer ist nicht wirklich gelungen. Green war wie seine Freunde C.S. Lewis und Tolkien von Mythen begeistert und wollte die überlieferten Mythen um Robin Hood zu einer Sammlung verschmelzen. Tatsächlich hat er auch die einzelnen Geschic ...more
Lanie
its was alright as far as repeative rescues go. every attack was the same basic thing. Robin wears a custom, tricks the bad guys, then jumps out and says "HAHA!i am robin hood!" Its cute for a kids but i suppose, but not for someone looking for a stimulating read.

i really only finished so i could finally put it on its place of honor on my Robin Hood shelf in my room. (Yes, i have a whole shelf solely for Robin Hood novels. Sue me.) Anyway, i decided to give "The Adventures of Robin Hood" Three
Alec
Feb 02, 2016 Alec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author, Roger Green, had a distinct purpose for writing The Adventures of Robin Hood. While he did not state the purpose in the story, it is very clear. In the case of most myths, legends, and tall tales the adventures and actions of the heroes are almost never told in one large volume. Green’s purpose was to unite the stories of Robin Hood into an attractive narrative format without completely removing the ballads (pieces of which remain at the start of every chapter). In unifying the stori ...more
Anders Petersen
May 22, 2012 Anders Petersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robin Hood followers.
Shelves: adventure
In a time of oppression, where the rich grows richer and the poor grows poorer, one man will challenge the corrupted prince and rebel in the name of God and justice.

The tale of Robin Hood is well known and there have been many variations.
However this book ties together a lot of the old fashion tales of Robin Hood. (and does one hell of a job at it)

The book takes us through the life of Robin Hood, from his birth to his death.
Meanwhile, we are thrown into his merry adventures and introduced to h
Jeanette
Jun 11, 2009 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read-in
Another retelling of the Robin Hood Legend. Roger Lancelyn Green's retelling, a bit more modern having been published in 1956, draws heavily upon the old ballads and plays as well as the works of Alfred Noyes, Tenneyson and Scott.
I found this Robin Hood to more closely resemble the Robin Hood that modern pop culture has given us or I guess this might be the Robin Hood the the modern retellings have gained some inspiration. Green's Robin started out as the Earl of Huntingdon who was selling his l
Lee Broderick
Nov 02, 2013 Lee Broderick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myths-legends
It seems incredible to me that this book, first published in 1956, represents the first time that someone tried to collect all of the various Robin Hood stories and develop them into a coherent whole. As the author noted in his introduction, this is in somewhat extreme contrast with the legends of King Arthur. The result is a collection of short stories which very occasionally seem a little contradictory but which overall do give the sense of a coherent narrative - from the origins of the hero t ...more
Robbie Hall
Dec 02, 2012 Robbie Hall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-2012
It's mostly a just a collection of standalone short stories, which I wasn't too fond of as I would have preferred a single cohesive story. However, the stories are pretty entertaining, if a little repetitive.

The following is a list consisting of plot points and the probability that they appear in a chapter (each chapter is essentially a short story).

60% - An archery contest that Robin Hood wins.
60% - A friendly fight with quarterstaves that Robin Hood wins. One or both participants will finish
Stuart
Aug 26, 2012 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger Lancelyn Green makes an interesting attempt at turning the disparate Robin Hood legends and traditions into one long narrative, threading in stories and sources as diverse as Anthony Munday and Sir Walter Scott, the medieval ballads and pageant plays, and the various other sources. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, with seeming contradictions popping up here and there with little to justify them, but on the whole it does tie you a greater sense of time passage and character develop ...more
Morgan
Sep 20, 2016 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Another book that has just been sitting around collecting dust, kind of my reading goal this summer I'm noticing. Anyways, this is something I really should have read when I first got it because I really like Robin Hood. Robin Hood is still my all time favorite literary hero. Reading this though with some knowledge on history you have to realize that there are some real people in this story. King Richard and Prince John were actually kings of England. I wonder if this story was political propaga ...more
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
I honestly went into this book expecting not to like it. You see, I'm obsessed with BBC's TV series Robin Hood, so I expected that I wouldn't like the "real" (or as close to it as one can get) version. But I was pleasantly surprised. I could actually merge the two versions in my mind quite well.

It was quite well written, taken, as much as possible, from old ballads and plays about Robin Hood, I really liked it. Green truly picked the best versions of all the different stories, and I loved how th
Cheyenne Silvers
Dec 21, 2012 Cheyenne Silvers rated it really liked it
Okay, yes this was for kiddies, but it was highly entertaining and an easy read for the poor busy senior who had to finish a book in 24 hours. Each chapter was like a mini story, the first few set up how robin was born and how he got his outlaw band set up. The next few were introducing new characters such as friar tuck and little John and allin-a-dale. The next few chapters were individual adventures such as when Robin goes to an archery contest to win a silver arrow.

This was a well written bo
Anastasia Nichole
An extremely enjoyable classic that had me laughing out loud, so much so that turning pages was a pleasure. This somehow managed to hold my attention just long enough to pull me into its realm of enchantment.

It's been forever since a book did that to me. In fact, I'm kind of starting to miss it now. :|

GIF

Really, Robin? Oh, thank you! Thank you!

I'll just wait for it like this, then:

GIF
Quince
Mar 21, 2016 Quince rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who can support high levels of arrogance.
This was a very fun, entertaining book, at the beginning, Robin's pride almost drove me mad with annoyance. Seriously. But as the book went on, I started to attach myself to him. Not Little John. I hate Little John. I only wish Robin Hood didn't die like that! It would have been cooler if he had been hung or something... No? Okay then.

Why didn't he kill the lady at the convent? Or let Little John do it for him? Was that some kind of stupid honor code? 'Cause if someone had detached my band aid.
Connie (hoot reads books)
For the first time I prefer the movie then the book. I felt like this could have easily been cut down as every chapter tells the same story about Robin Hood's adventures which pretty much ended the same way. In a way this was like a short story collection about Robin Hood and his merry men then a complete story with a beginning and end.
Caitlin
Aug 08, 2015 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
classic Robin
all the characters
loved n known
nice to read
each chapter it's own little story
built together to work
Vickie Goodman
Feb 14, 2016 Vickie Goodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read to sons and daughters! Very exciting and adventurous. Each chapter stands on its own, so it's a super book for night time reads!
Julie
Dec 02, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin
Dad bought this from the Folio Society. I stole it off him a few years ago and never gave it back. I am such a sucker for Robin stories.
Michael McHale
It was a sad ending to the adventurous Robin Hood, but made it up with the amazing stories.
Becky
Jan 09, 2017 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Look, I'm not saying I read Robin Hood because the US is about to be taken over by a horrifying kleptocracy but I'm not *not* saying that, either.

Actually, I've always loved Robin Hood, and while I've watched a bunch of different versions through the years I'd never actually sat down and read the full adventures before. It was totally worth it, not just because they're super charming (they are!) or the last few are genuinely sad (view spoiler)
Anhie Greenish
Dec 26, 2016 Anhie Greenish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Akhirnya bisa tahu kisah original dari Robin Hood, mulai dari sejarah orang tuanya, kisah rekrutmen tiap-tiap anggotanya hingga kisah cintanya. Selama ini taunya Robin Hood itu pahlawan yang mencuri dari orang kaya untuk diberikan ke orang miskin tapi ternyata banyak background kisah menarik yang asyik diikuti. Tiap-tiap chapter punya kisah masing-masing jadi buat saya yang punya kebiasaan baca sebelum tidur, membaca 1-2 chapter tidak akan bikin ketergantungan sampai pagi hehe..

Karena ini novel
Heather
Reading the tales of Robin Hood is necessary to be fully literate in Western Culture. Despite being an outlaw, Robin Hood embodies virtue in that he seeks justice, honors the authority of his rightful king, and acts with chastity toward Lady Marian. He's also an awesome archer! Although some of the tales become formulaic (Robin meets boasting person. Robin beats up boasting person. Boasting person is in awe and joins Merry Men.), the characters and adventures are so lively that the reader cannot ...more
Justin B
Oct 24, 2016 Justin B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is a bout robin hood and how he falls in love with a prince but the prince's father dose not a prove of robin hood but they love each other. So they plan to runaway to gather but the king looks the prince up in a tower. So robin hood goes to save her from her father. long story short the king finoly is ok withit and they get merid
The king is the cherish that changes the most because he like robin hood at the end
Stephanie
My version is called "Robin Hood and His Merrie Men" and is without author attribution, but the text matches the 2010 re-edition by Roger Lancelyn Green.

A childhood favourite. Last read May 28-29, 2010. I don't remember it being so violent or that Robin and his men killed so many people!

Reread December 30-31, 2016. Robin is kind of an ass, you guys!
Emi Bevacqua
Four hundred year old adventure stories thrilling as ever! My 9-yr old daughters and I enjoyed every page "because it was so exciting"! Our favorite part was when Maid Marian and the beautiful Bettris kicked major butt, with bows and arrows and a frypan, unaided by anybody all on their own.
Cathy
Jan 12, 2017 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After trudging through Howard Pyle's Robin Hood, this book was so refreshing! A basic Robin Hood story with language that is easy to read. This book was just what I was looking for in a classic Robin Hood novel.
Jan1243
Jan 06, 2017 Jan1243 rated it really liked it
Read this because I'll be teaching it in February. A nice read, and I learned lots of things about Robin Hood!
Adaptations you like better than the book? 4 54 Apr 17, 2014 06:45PM
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales
  • Robin Hood
  • Robin and the King (Sherwood, #2)
  • The Story of King Arthur and His Knights (Signet Classics)
  • Maid Marian
  • Robin Hood, The Prince of Thieves
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood: An English Legend
  • The Complete Poetry
  • The Mark of Zorro
  • The Quest of the Holy Grail
  • The Stones of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #6)
  • One Thousand and One Arabian Nights
  • The Avenging Saint
Roger (Gilbert) Lancelyn Green was a British biographer and children's writer. He was an Oxford academic who formed part of the Inklings literary discussion group along with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Born in 1918 in Norwich, England, Green studied under C. S. Lewis at Merton College, Oxford, where he obtained a B.Litt. degree. He delivered the 1968 Andrew Lang lecture. Green lived in Cheshire ...more
More about Roger Lancelyn Green...

“Here have I come to die,' he said, 'and where else could I ask to die but in your arms?” 8 likes
“Underneath this little stone
Lies Robert Earl of Huntington;
No other archer was so good -
And people called him Robin Hood.
Such outlaws as he and his men
Will England never see again.”
7 likes