Start by marking “Tyrant of the Mind” as Want to Read:
Tyrant of the Mind

Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery #2)

A nun and a monk defy death and dishonor at her family's Welsh fortress... In the winter of 1271, Death stalks the corridors of Wynethorpe Castle on the Welsh border. When the Grim Reaper touches the beloved grandson of the castle lord, Baron Adam sends for his daughter, Prioress Eleanor of Tyndal, and her sub-infirmarian, Sister Anne, to save the child with prayers and he ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tyrant of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tyrant of the Mind

Samantha
I adored Priscilla Royal's first Medieval Mystery, Wine of Violence. The multifaceted creation of Prioress Eleanor and the monk, Thomas, was captivating and well written. Therefore, I was all the more disappointed when this installment fell flat.

In Tyrant of the Mind, Eleanor and Thomas are back, but are far from their abbey. Travelling to Eleanor's ancestral home to care for her ill nephew, they find themselves once again in the center of a murder investigation.

Since death follows these two li
Vicki Cline
Prioress Eleanor, Brother Thomas and Sister Anne travel to Eleanor's childhood home to care for her sick nephew. Her brother is supposed to become betrothed to her childhood friend Juliana, who refuses, as she wants a religious life. Juliana's obnoxious brother is killed and Eleanor's brother is the main suspect. Naturally everything works out OK. The best part was being introduced to one of the most interesting continuing characters. I've read three of the books in this series and I still can't ...more
Susan
As much as the first book in this series was interesting, the second one really didn't impress me at all. I didn't take to the story, found it slow going and all in all just didn't enjoy the parts I read.

Don't know if this is a one-off or I ended up not being in the mood for it, but at the moment, I think I'll wait to read the other 2 books I have by this author in the hopes that those will be a good read.
Sienna
Dec 18, 2016 Sienna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
I enjoy the variety of characters & of issues explored. It's a light, easy book, but it's got an Author's Note & a Bibliography -- Gotta love that! Royal makes the characters real (as in familiar, recognizable) without taking them out of the time period.
Jayne dArcy
May 08, 2014 Jayne dArcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awallens
Jan 08, 2010 Awallens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nun and a monk defy death and dishonor at her family's Welsh fortress...

lord, Baron Adam sends for his daughter, Prioress Eleanor of Tyndal, and her sub-infirmarian, Sister Anne, to save the child with prayers and healing talents.
Escorting them to the remote fortress is Brother Thomas, an unwilling monk fighting his private demons.

Death may
Jane
Nov 03, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series and it was not nearly as good as the first book. This book follows Prioress Eleanor, Brother Thomas and Sister Anne to Eleanor's castle home to care for her sick nephew. Another wealthy, titled family is visiting the castle as they try to figure out a deal for Eleanor's brother to marry the family's daughter when several murders occur. The problem with this book is that it's dense, hard to read and the characters all seem so bitter, angry and miserable that ...more
Rogue Reader
Glad to pick up Priscilla Royal's second medieval mystery, Tyrant of the Mind, through interlibrary loan at the Ashland Public Library. How cleverly Royal positions this series in a hospital priory on the route to Newcastle - there's always going to be wonderful material for a murder, and mystery. This one though is set in Wynethorpe Castle, Prioress Eleanor's ancestral home, and the family seat. She and Sister Anne are called home care for an ailing child, where they find love, hatred and betra ...more
Massanutten Regional Library
Janet, Page patron, June 2016, 4 stars:

Tyrant of the Mind is the second book in Royal's Medieval Mystery Series. In this book the Abbess returns home to tend to a sick nephew only to become embroiled in the mysterious murder of a childhood friend. As the investigation goes on more questions than answer arise along with the body count. The author explores the changes in relationships as characters age from childhood to adulthood during the investigation. Royal does a great job of concealing the i
Cora Lee
3 and 1/2 stars Prioress Eleanor wasn't in this book as much as the last, but Brother Thomas was and I have become very fond of him. The only issue I seem to have with this book is that the actual solving of the mystery didn't do much for me. It wasn't poorly written by any stretch, it just didn't feel satisfying to me. But I enjoyed the rest of the book, and am definitely looking forward to the rest of the series!
Michael
I am slowly warming to this series. It does not have the winning characters of Ellis Peters' Cadfael books. Tyrant of the Mind draws one in to the setting and characterizations. The mystery itself was not as compelling. That works for me as I'm more interested in the atmospherics and relationships than the puzzle. This was a nice, diverting read.
Nan Hawthorne
Aug 27, 2011 Nan Hawthorne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbtq
As usual, a challenging and entertaining mystery for Eleanor and Thomas to solve with Anne's able help. Getting to meet Eleanor's family and to learn more about Thomas and how he copes with the restrictions of his life are always welcome. love these characters. Royal's historical notes are worth the read all by themselves. She's a great myth buster.
Susan
Feb 02, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas are called to solve a murder in Eleanor's birthplace. The accused - her brother. The historical references and particularly the attitudes about women and their place in society are very interesting to read. Eleanor is a strong personality and lends believability to the story. At just over 200 pages, these novels are good, quick reads.
Ami
Sep 05, 2009 Ami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another medieval mystery...(of which I am particularly fond) Not as good as her first Wine of Violence, but still good. The story continues as Eleanor, the prioress of a convent in northern England is summoned home to attend a gravely ill relative....and the murders start from there.....hee hee.
Barbara
Sep 09, 2015 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
I kept reading to find out the twist. I was sure there was some secret behind the rather histronic behaviours of the main characters, as their stated reasons seemed so implausible, but nope - pretty much what you see is what you get.
Lisa
Apr 21, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow and confusing

I love the prose of this book, but the story was difficult to get into. The characters' motives are vague and the red herring at the beginning confused the plot more than added to the mystery.
Amy
great sense of the times and how people thought, not modern people put in a historic setting like many books are
Ellen
Eleanor of Wynethorpe #2
John Hanscom
Nov 12, 2011 John Hanscom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first in the series - a little wordy at spots - but still a fascinating look into the social and religious thought of the time, with a mystery thrown in as well.
Donna Ziegler
Medieval politics on a local level result in murder and are solved by the Prioress of Tyndale and her two friends.
Jen
Nov 25, 2012 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rather liked Wine of Violence, but was unimpressed with the sequel.
CatBookMom
I didn't like this as much as the first book; I've rounded up to 3 stars.
Joy
May 04, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the 2nd in the series with Prioress Eleanor, Sister Anne & Brother Thomas going back to Eleanor's home to help her sick nephew.
Ruth
1271 in Wales. Jealousy, greed, murder. Not much has changed. Like characters. Interesting situation with Prioress Eleanor of Tyndall a woman in power position back in the day. Good read.
Anne
Needlessly complicated.
Sandi
A nicely written historical mystery set during the final years of King Henry III's reign. The plot kept me guessing and I enjoyed learning more about all the lead characters.
Hafiza
Nov 06, 2012 Hafiza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melodrama and Murder in the Middle Ages.
Better than Book 1.
Cheryl
It took me longer to get into this one but I still enjoyed it. I loved seeing the castle inhabitants and how they lived.
Alice
Sep 03, 2015 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick read

same attitudes
Meg
Oct 17, 2011 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it and want more like it.
  • The Saint John's Fern (Roger the Chapman, #9)
  • The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7)
  • Liars and Thieves
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
Priscilla has a degree in world literature from San Francisco State University, where she discovered the beauty of medieval literature. She is a theater fan as well as reader of history, mysteries, and fiction of lesser violence. She lives in Northern California and belongs to the California Writers Club and Sisters in Crime.
More about Priscilla Royal...

Medieval Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)
  • Satan's Lullaby (Medieval Mystery, #11)