Start by marking “The Alpha Bet” as Want to Read:
The Alpha Bet

The Alpha Bet

Some teenagers use drugs or sex to escape overbearing parents. I used books.

All my life my mother has been hovering over me, afraid to let me experience ANYTHING. So I got really good grades, graduated from high school when I was sixteen, and escaped to a new life--my own life--at college. To jump-start my social life, I decided to rush the Alphas, the most exclusive sor
Published April 8th 2010 by Flux (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Alpha Bet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alpha Bet

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Grace Kelly has no idea what she's getting into. She graduated high school early and now she's heading to college, roughly an hour away from home and her overprotective mother. At 16, she's ready to let life take control.

She and her roommate decide to rush the Alphas. Grace Kelly admires the sisters, but unfortunately for her, she's asked to leave due to an altercation with another girl.

She's not ready to let go of her dreams, so she creates the mo
Books
Dec 23, 2014 Books rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-2014
*** REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS – LOTS OF IT! ***

Wow. How bad does one’s luck have to be to read two books in a row both featuring a sucky, self-pitying, pathetic protagonist. Yep, that seems to be my luck lately. I wished the previous book I read, with an even worse protagonist, a hearty farewell, and was quite excited to start The Alphabet as it has a really nice cover and a book summary that hooked me right away. As it turns out, it was just another one of those books that failed to perform its
Drea
Aug 08, 2012 Drea rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-read-2012
Les
Dec 24, 2010 Les rated it it was ok
Sandy
Nov 21, 2011 Sandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: ppya11
Grace Kelly won a scholarship to college at a science fair, so graduates high school early and moves into the dorm. Her new roommate helps her break out of the shell she's been hiding behind and convinces her to rush a Sorority. She lies to become a pledge and then has to complete 26 tasks to become a full fledged member. Can she balance her schoolwork, the Sorority, the guy she has a crush on and living on her own? Can she keep up with all her lies?
GK seems more like a ditzy blonde cheerleader
Julia Klatte
Oct 17, 2011 Julia Klatte rated it really liked it
The story "The Alpha Bet" is about a geeky 16 year old girl named Grace Kelly Cook. She has no self confidence and no friends. She is starting college and wants to make a fresh start. When she met her roommate she knew she could. When they gave her a makeover she looked like a new person and thought her knew look would give her confidence. She knew there was one thing she was missing: to be a member of a sorority. She didn't get in the Alpha. She lied to them and told them she was related to som ...more
Emma
May 03, 2010 Emma rated it it was ok
Sixteen-year-old Grace Kelly Cook is so ready to start college where she can ditch her geeky high school image and finally get away from her overbearing, overprotective, over the top mother. After graduating early and earning a free ride to her dream college, it seems like all of Grace Kelly's dreams are coming true.

But starting fresh is going to take a lot more than some strategic online searches.

At the behest of her breezy, free spirit roommate, Grace Kelly agrees to rush the Alphas--the elite
Nian
Jun 20, 2010 Nian rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Grace Kelly has been protected by her mother all her life, so when she enters college at sixteen, GK is ready for anything, espcially joining a sorority. Even if it means lying about being a legacy and completing a series of tasks called the Alpha Bets, Grace Kelly will succeed.

The story was very predictable. You know lying gets you nowhere, and the protagonist always ends up confessing anyway, so I don't know why I bother to read stuff like this. The entire novel here is too sugarcoated and se
Paula  Phillips
Feb 09, 2015 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing
Are you wanting to read a college based novel, but sick of reading the New Adult type books ? The Alpha Bet has everything you need from Hot Guys, Sororities, Nasty Girls to College life without the sex - well it is touched on in this book - but more aimed at the Young Adult stage. In Alpha Bet we meet Grace Kelly-Cook who is nothing like the old classic film actress , in fact Grace Kelly aka GK is a Science Geek who is a child prodigy as she graduated high school last semester and starting col ...more
Eleni ( La Femme Readers )
Mar 26, 2010 Eleni ( La Femme Readers ) rated it really liked it
The Alpha Bet was cute and fun. The dialogue and interesting characters made me devour it in one sitting. Although, at times it was a bit predictable. Grace Kelly a.k.a. GK was a simple, clumsy, science loving girl. To others she was nothing more than a total spaz and geek. Her intelligence landed her in college at sixteen years old, impressive right? I really loved her personality, she was easy to connect with and her quirkiness made her stand out.

Now, in order for her to join the greatest soro
Syd
Mar 16, 2014 Syd rated it it was amazing
The main character in this book was a girl named Grace Kelley. At age sixteen she won a science fair and got to go to college early. Her motivation is to fit in because she never really did in highschool. Grace Kelly told lies to fit in and the eventually blew up in her face. Therefore, the theme that this book gave is "do not to change yourself to fit in." Grace Kelley transformed herself just to get into a sorority. The climax in this book was when Grace Kelley decided to tell everyone the tru ...more
Jessica Oban
May 04, 2010 Jessica Oban rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mature Tweens
This cute little novel is kind of a "My Fair Lady" for the 13 - 16 year old set, with a little "Mean Girls" thrown in. Yet its got a couple parts that are a little adult for early teens.

Little Grace Kelly has just gotten into college and through her new roommate, has turned from "Geek to Greek," which includes a make-over and a crash course in a social life.

The book tries to be an adult fiction read for older tweens but it seems to talk down to them at times. I feel like the book couldn't really
Michelle Arrow
Dec 12, 2012 Michelle Arrow rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit

I've put this book back many times because I thought that I would hate it. It seemed very cheesy and like those other chick-lit girly novels that aren't worth buying. I really enjoyed it and finally I got to read a book that took place in college.

I say that this was the perfect coming of age novel. It tells you about life and the decisions that you make, even if they aren't the most wisest.

This was super-fast paced and I finished it in an hour or so. The story started off very quickly and be
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
An enjoyable, quick chick flick in a book. Grace Kelly (I hated that her name was Grace Kelly) is a 16 year old spazzy nerd turned sorority pledge as she enters college early. GK, as she is called by her roommate, is equal parts endearing and annoying. Sometimes I really wanted her to succeed, and other times I just wanted to smack her. And GK's Mom? I'm glad she buys a clue by midway the book, but whose Mom calls campus security because they're not answering their phone? Really? Charlie is ador ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Nov 23, 2015 Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
this is somewhere between a YA and NA book, but I loved it! Maybe because it involved the main character joining a sorority and I always wonder how the author will portray sorority life.

Grace Kelly Cook is a 16 year old that graduated from HS early and is starting her freshman year in college. She is definitely geeky, but her new roommate Jentry can see past all that. Grace decides to tell a small fib, that she is a legacy to the Alpha sorority since they can only accept 2 new members (which as
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
I have to admit, seeing how girly this book is and when I first started it, I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. It's a really good inspiring books that shows you that no matter how different you are, there are people that will accept you.
The whole Charlie relationship really freaked me put though until I got to the end and found out the truth.
It really kept my attention as well. It was at a pretty good pace, though there were a few times it lost me .... Not even really sure why.

I'
RivkaBelle
May 01, 2010 RivkaBelle rated it really liked it
I was delighted to win this as a First Reads (my first win!) ... It is so much fun to read. I was especially able to relate to Grace Kelly's story because I too started college at 16 (but I was an English nerd, not a science geek :o) ) ... Ms Hale does a really good job of capturing the sometime-terrifying excitement of being on a college campus, hanging with college kids, and being one of the group. While I was an Indie all through college, I had friends in every sorority on campus - and the Al ...more
Ali T
Dec 16, 2013 Ali T rated it liked it
I thought it was a cute, quick read. There were some "convenient" parts in it but nothing to nit-pick over. I thought it had a pretty good plot and many funny parts. Sometimes Grace Kelly would backslide very quickly when dealing with her mother so it would throw me off because it was such a quick turn around. She has a very paranoid attitude when it comes to trusting people which didn't really flow with her overall attitude and transformation.

I have to say, when I got to the end I was hoping f
Jamie
Nov 17, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10th-grade
I really liked this book and the ending was really good. GK was lying throughout the whole books just to join the Alpha sorority but in the end she proved her loyalty to them and was able to become a member. I thought the book was interesting and fun to read because it seems kind of the ideal life on a collage campus. GK wanted to change herself just so that she could fit into the "collage image" but along the way she made a best friend for life, she met a guy she really likes, her parents (espe ...more
mandy
Mar 28, 2011 mandy rated it liked it
This was a decent enough read. Lots of the sorority details are not realistic (only two pledges? Only two sororities on campus? Otterbein is very small, and it had 6. I was in the smallest sorority and there were 6 pledges in my class). There is also a pretty big plot twist that would have been impossible to keep secret for a whole quarter.

But, it was fun, held my interest, and I think most girls can relate to Grace Kelly, as well as her alter ego GK. And really, a teen girl wouldn't know how so
Mary Grace Nakao
Mar 15, 2011 Mary Grace Nakao rated it really liked it
This is a very hilarious, quick paced book that you just want to love stop reading but can't. Personally, I think this is pretty funny and a light read. Perfect for teenagers. There are a lot of WTF moments which made me laugh out loud and pause so that I can I digest what happened. Though you may find GK's personality a little annoying, considering she used to be socially awkward, you will grow to like her evantually. And let us not forget about Charlie~!
Liza Wiemer
The ALPHA BET was pure fun! If you want a clever read with bold, interesting characters set on a small college campus and plenty of sorority mischief, this is the book to read. Don't think typical sorority, the Alphas are a group of young women who think outside of the box - and when it comes down to finding the perfect new pledges for their sisterhood, the challenges will keep you turning the pages and wondering what next!
Tiffany
Apr 03, 2010 Tiffany rated it liked it
Grace Kelley is brilliant, a klutz, and geeky. She graduated high school at the age of 16 without any friends. When she starts college at the age of 16 she decides that maybe she can change and finally have friends. She gets a makeover and decides to pledge for a sorority. In the process she learns a few important things.

This was a cute book. Some of the tasks she had to do for Rush were hilarious. It was a fun read.
Meg
Dec 18, 2011 Meg rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It showed the true meaning of popularity, and people will more likely like you if you are yourself. I learned even a harmless white lie can turn into something major.

I was a little confused about the ending, so I will most likely go back and look through it again.

Kristy McRae
Oct 22, 2013 Kristy McRae rated it liked it
A cute & funny teen/college story. I liked the main character, Grace Kelly, and her new college friends. I probably would have rated it higher if the amount of grammar/spelling/usage mistakes had been reduced. Nobody's perfect (and I don't expect perfection), but the sheer quantity of errors in this e-book made me cringe, and made the story hard to read at times.
Westerville
Apr 08, 2011 Westerville rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, fiction
"It was fun, held my interest, and I think most girls can relate to Grace Kelly, as well as her alter ego GK." - Mandy, Adult Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Chardonnae
Jul 14, 2010 Chardonnae rated it it was amazing
In this book an average geeky girl "Grace Kelly Cook" goes off to college early and learns she can be social and beautiful and have friends.It was a very good book because it showed experiences and gave ideals that were amazing and took you on a journey/
Feb 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Readers will either love or hate this one. For me, I'm reminded of good memories, and identify with the science geek to chic lady that never really `hanged at all. Plus, I'm a sucker for the happy ending. So, since this author makes me smile, I bump the book rating up a star. :) ...more
Ashleigh
Sep 25, 2013 Ashleigh rated it liked it
I feel like I would have adored this had I read it as a middle schooler. Meanwhile, regardless of age, I am always up for a little secret sisterhood action. It's also nice to read a book set in college as opposed to high school.
Kristin snay
i absolutely loved this book this was one of those books that i did not want to put down its every geeky girls dream to get freedom form their parents at 16 its was just so fun to read.
  • Lessons of the Heart
  • Lane (Made From Stone #1)
  • For the Game (Playing for Keeps #2)
  • My Worst Best Friend
  • The Mosts
  • So Many Boys (The Naughty List, #2)
  • Dead or Alive
  • My Invisible Boyfriend
  • A Field Guide for Heartbreakers
  • The Cinderella Society (The Cinderella Society, #1)
  • The Exceptionals
  • Let You Leave (Keep Me Still, #0.5)
  • 1980: You Shook Me All Night Long (Love in the 80s #1)
  • Swapped by a Kiss
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • Bittersweet Sixteen
  • Crude
  • Stupid Cupid (Stupid Cupid, #1)
190714
I am the author of YA books, HIGH SCHOOL HANGOVER, REVENGE OF THE HOMECOMING QUEEN, TWISTED SISTERS, SPRING BREAKUP, & THE ALPHA BET.

www.stephaniehale.com
www.twitter.com/stephaniemhale
www.facebook.com/booksbystephaniehale
More about Stephanie Hale...