Start by marking “Moon Lander: How We Developed the Apollo Lunar Module” as Want to Read:
Moon Lander: How We Developed the Apollo Lunar Module

Moon Lander: How We Developed the Apollo Lunar Module

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In 1961, only a few weeks after Alan Shepherd completed the first American suborbital flight, President John F. Kennedy announced that the U.S. would put a man on the moon before the end of the decade. The next year, NASA awarded the right to meet the extraordinary challenge of building a lunar excursion module to a small airplane company called Grumman from Long Island, N ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Smithsonian (first published March 17th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Lander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Lander

Cameron
A must read book for moon enuthiasts, engineers and project managers. Not for Apollo 11 "hoax" loonies; enough technical detail and history to shut down any "skeptic" - you can't make this detail and or fake the dedication of Kelly and the thousands of engineers, designers and tradesmen who made the moon landing possible.

This is not only the fascinating story about the greatest technological challenge of the 20th century, but also an amazing text for all project managers, customer managers and
Kevin Iacobacci
A fascinating book. Being in the aviation safety business, the discussion of the Apollo 1 fire really hit home. Kelly wrote "if we were so obtuse about fire, how many other serious hazards had also escaped our faulty vision?" Still good words to consider 50 years on. Another interesting thing about this engineering story is that the potential show stoppers were just as likely to be related to project management as they were to be linked to engineering. Effective management was as important as br ...more
Grant
Being in the space program and having met some of the players of the Apollo era, it's always good to read a book and say, "yes, that's very accurate". This was one of those books.

At a time when engineering excellence and competence was meeting the needs of a national priority, it's hard not to envy the drive and dedication of those working on something as HARD as the Apollo Moon Lander. Kelly gives you the straight talk with a minimum of cover your butt. Anyone who wants to engineer great things
Glennchuck
One of my favorite episodes of the Tom Hanks mini-series, "From the Earth to the Moon," is the one that featured the crew at Grumman Corp. who designed and built the lunar landers. The episode is called "Spider," the name of the first manned Lunar Module (LM) to fly in space. I knew it was a dramatization, of course, but it was such a cool story that when I saw that Tom Kelly had written a book about his LM experience, I wanted to see how close the dramatization was to the truth.

Tom Kelly was o
Marc
Overall I liked this book. What surprised me was that the dynamics of the organizations played just as much a role in this book as the technical aspects of the development. At times the writing was kind of bland and a bit boring but was never unbearable and I did enjoy learning about how the lunar module went from being little more than a hopeful proposal to a physical reality that achieved the moon landings.
Hugh
Tom Kelly writes the end-to-end story of Grumman's titanic struggle to develop the spindly-legged fragile tin can that went seven times to the Moon, landing and lifting off six times and once serving as a lifeboat, all with utmost reliability. His time as project leader, meeting over and over again challenges that nobody knew existed before they arose, must be seen as heroic. At the same time, Kelly is brutally honest, with himself and his employer as the facts required, which only polishes the ...more
Paul Kratochwill
This was a great book about the specifications, design, manufacturing and testing of the Lunar Module. The author was one of the key members of the Grumman team that build the LM. There was some technical information in the book that might be beyond the casual reader of the history of human spaceflight, but overall this book was easy to read. I would recommend this book to anyone who has even a passing interest in the Apollo program.
Tim
A fascinating look into a good deal of the technical and managerial issues that were worked through in order to build the Apollo Lunar Module. Definitely a must-read for any aerospace engineer or anyone who works in a technical job or a highly-stressed job. These guys set out to do something that had never been done before, with a very high risk level and a deadline set by the leader of the free world. And they did it.
Sarit Arora
As an engineer/ product designer, this book was a fascinating read, with all the ups and downs of creating a product, that literally was a moon shot. I love the engineering details but at the same time i feel this may not be a good read for someone who is looking for an easy read on the Apollo program. They should stick to "Man on the moon" book which is catering to that audience.
AJ
Definitely boring at times but this book is an outstanding look inside an engineering design process. I think all engineering students should read something like this to get a good feel for the scope of what our work can accomplish, and why it's important to follow design rules!!
Ken
Good account of the engineering process. This book follows the steps of making the Lunar Module starting at project proposal to NASA through design, build, test, and flight.

As an engineer, I liked this book. As a moon nerd, I really liked this book.
Jens
A fascinating and in depth view into the development of the lunar module. It would have been even better with some editorial work (place the footnotes inline on the same page, some more images/drawings explaining design consepts etc.)
Brian
While at times getting bogged down in the engineering jargon there's some really good information here. Would have liked it if Kelly had spent a little more time talking about why certain decisions were made in the LM's design.
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Anna Nowka
Anna Nowka marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Nicki J
Nicki J marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Elethiomel
Elethiomel marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Evgen First
Evgen First marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
veronica davies
veronica davies marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Liam Townsend
Liam Townsend marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Gaby
Gaby marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Nathan Benmargi
Nathan Benmargi marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Esnellvideo
Esnellvideo marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Apollo: The Race To The Moon
  • Flight: My Life in Mission Control
  • Digital Apollo: Human and Machine in Spaceflight
  • The Last Man on the Moon: Astronaut Eugene Cernan and America's Race in Space
  • Failure is not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond
  • Rocketman: Astronaut Pete Conrad's Incredible Ride to the Moon and Beyond
  • A Man on the Moon
  • We Seven: By the Astronauts Themselves
  • Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race
  • Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey
  • Deke!: An Autobiography
  • First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong
  • The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight
  • Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon
  • John Glenn: A Memoir
  • Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13
  • This New Ocean: The Story of the First Space Age
  • Full Moon
Data Architecture Educational Aspects of Behavioral Problems in Children and Youth Eukaryotic DNA Replication (Cancer Cells 6) Trends In The Criminal Enforcement Of Environmental Laws Hazardous Air Pollutant Handbook: Measurements, Properties, and Fate in Ambient Air