Start by marking “Requiem for the Conqueror (Forbidden Borders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Requiem for the Conqueror (Forbidden Borders, #1)

Requiem for the Conqueror (Forbidden Borders #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  239 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This rich and exciting trilogy follows the search of one man--raised to be the ultimate general, the penultimate killing machine--for his own humanity and for the son he's never known. A son who is now his sworn enemy...
Published July 2nd 1991 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Requiem for the Conqueror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Requiem for the Conqueror

Dune by Frank HerbertHouse of Suns by Alastair ReynoldsLeviathan Wakes by James S.A. CoreyHyperion by Dan SimmonsRingworld by Larry Niven
Space Opera Fans Favorites
174th out of 211 books — 67 voters
Dogshit Saved My Life by Karl WigginsTaking Charge by Bridgitte LesleyThe Gang Bust by Dorothy May MercerKing of the Mekong by Damian MagnayThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Best Books That You Should Read
346th out of 459 books — 327 voters

More lists with this book...

Biju Bhaskar
Mar 27, 2013 Biju Bhaskar rated it really liked it
Book one of The Forbidden Borders trilogy, is the story of Staffa Kar Therma, an extraordinarily brilliant military strategist. He is the leader of an elite mercenary group, The Companions, whose services are sought out by the two competing empires of Sassa and Rega. Staffa has in turns helped both of them and bled both the empires dry till none can oppose him.
What is Staffa's ultimate objective? Why is he a target of the Seddi, a mysterious organization? What are the secrets behind Staffa's ori
Theresa
Apr 24, 2016 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Requiem for the Conqueror
by W. Michael Gear

I know that Michael Gear has been waiting patiently for me to get through this dramatic and inspiring encompassing story. The book encapsulates so many ideas that it takes time to go through the text and comprehend its meanings. Forbidden borders is a thought experiment in technology and mankind. If mankind were forced to face its own faults and dark tenancies could mankind rise above petty greet, and destruction. Would access to technology, and distan
Ninjasnarl
Apr 28, 2012 Ninjasnarl rated it did not like it
Shelves: waste-of-time
At 600-odd pages, this book was about 400 pages too long. However, the length isn't as nearly as much of a problem as the fact that most of the volume is crude bloat with such artificial dialogue and characters that you can almost hear the book's gears grinding. None of the other books are any better either; you're much better off looking for a half-dozen well-written books than wasting time on all 1800 pages (for the trilogy) of these clumsy, wooden, predictable tomes.
James
Mar 14, 2012 James rated it liked it
I've read most of this authors People of novels and had not realized he had wrote any scf-fi before I saw this. I really enjoyed it, there wasn't a lot of hard science in it and focused more on interstellar politics, but the premise behind the novel was great. I am definitely going to have to read the next one in the series.
Rod
Aug 25, 2011 Rod rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've every read. One of the central concepts of the book is "How do we know that which we and all society accepts as unassailable truth really is true?". Couple that with sex, betrayal, assassination, true love, death of billions, and redemption, and I can't ask for more!
Carrol
Feb 16, 2011 Carrol rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a trilogy. The whole set is one of the best space operas I have ever read. I highly recommend it.
Brad Sheridan
Aug 12, 2011 Brad Sheridan rated it it was amazing
Read it a long time ago, but I remember loving it. Real space opera. First of a trilogy, and the other 2 are solid too.
Yuriy.bylinkin
Oct 30, 2012 Yuriy.bylinkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
А вообще очень неплохая книга, несмотря на затянутость и обилие секса
Jeff American
Jul 06, 2012 Jeff American rated it it was amazing
this book is probably the best science fiction i have ever read
Michael
excellent book
Howard
Sep 26, 2012 Howard rated it really liked it
Marke
Marke marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kaylee Kristine
Kaylee Kristine marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ssitha
Ssitha marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
RRH
RRH marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Qwty
Qwty added it
Apr 18, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Jamie Whitehorn
Jamie Whitehorn marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Amanda Estes
Amanda Estes rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 27, 2016
Dave Wells
Dave Wells marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Tadas
Tadas marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Jay
Jay added it
Mar 21, 2016
Tim Clay
Tim Clay marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Hevs
Hevs marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Kaerber
Kaerber marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
  • Counting the Cost
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • Dark Nadir (Sholan Alliance, #5)
  • The Cage (Baen Fantasy)
  • Mighty Good Road
  • The Parafaith War (Parafaith, #1)
  • Bound in Blood (Kencyrath, #5)
  • The Cobra Trilogy
  • Design for Great-Day
  • Sleipnir
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...

Forbidden Borders (3 books)
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • Countermeasures (Forbidden Borders, #3)