Requiem for the Conqueror (Forbidden Borders, #1)

Requiem for the Conqueror (Forbidden Borders #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This rich and exciting trilogy follows the search of one man--raised to be the ultimate general, the penultimate killing machine--for his own humanity and for the son he's never known. A son who is now his sworn enemy...
Published July 2nd 1991 by DAW

Biju Bhaskar
Book one of The Forbidden Borders trilogy, is the story of Staffa Kar Therma, an extraordinarily brilliant military strategist. He is the leader of an elite mercenary group, The Companions, whose services are sought out by the two competing empires of Sassa and Rega. Staffa has in turns helped both of them and bled both the empires dry till none can oppose him.
What is Staffa's ultimate objective? Why is he a target of the Seddi, a mysterious organization? What are the secrets behind Staffa's ori...more
Ninjasnarl
At 600-odd pages, this book was about 400 pages too long. However, the length isn't as nearly as much of a problem as the fact that most of the volume is crude bloat with such artificial dialogue and characters that you can almost hear the book's gears grinding. None of the other books are any better either; you're much better off looking for a half-dozen well-written books than wasting time on all 1800 pages (for the trilogy) of these clumsy, wooden, predictable tomes.
James
I've read most of this authors People of novels and had not realized he had wrote any scf-fi before I saw this. I really enjoyed it, there wasn't a lot of hard science in it and focused more on interstellar politics, but the premise behind the novel was great. I am definitely going to have to read the next one in the series.
Rod
One of the best books I've every read. One of the central concepts of the book is "How do we know that which we and all society accepts as unassailable truth really is true?". Couple that with sex, betrayal, assassination, true love, death of billions, and redemption, and I can't ask for more!
Carrol
This is the first book in a trilogy. The whole set is one of the best space operas I have ever read. I highly recommend it.
Brad Sheridan
Read it a long time ago, but I remember loving it. Real space opera. First of a trilogy, and the other 2 are solid too.
Yuriy.bylinkin
А вообще очень неплохая книга, несмотря на затянутость и обилие секса
Jeff American
this book is probably the best science fiction i have ever read
Michael
excellent book
Rick Ingersoll
Rick Ingersoll marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Chuck Higgins
Chuck Higgins is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2014
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Cathy S
Cathy S marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Al
Al added it
Mar 09, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Lura Welch
Lura Welch marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam...more
More about W. Michael Gear...
People of the Fire (The First North Americans, #2) People of the Wolf (The First North Americans, #1) People of the Earth (The First North Americans, #3) People of the River (The First North Americans, #4) People of the Sea (The First North Americans, #5)