Start by marking “Pilate's Cross” as Want to Read:
Pilate's Cross

Pilate's Cross

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  19 reviews
John Pilate, his sardonic “imaginary friend” Simon and lovely instructor friend Kate investigate the mystery of a college president murdered mere days after JFK's assassination--a mystery that still has loose ends 40 years later. In too far to "wash his hands of the mystery," he risks death to get to the truth of what really happened in 1963 and why it's still just as dead ...more
Kindle Edition, 2012 Revised Edition, 213 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Caroline Street Press, LLC (first published December 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pilate's Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilate's Cross

Soobee72
Confession. Well, two which are related. One: I have had this book for some time but have held off reading it because two: I know the author. What if I read it and hated it? What if I read it and thought it was merely meh? Surely that's worse? What would I say to him? I'd have to slowly start to ease away so that I never had to explain why I'd never read his book, right? I'd read bits of it, but bits aren't the whole and, and, and...Basically, I was a big coward.

I shouldn't have been so relucta
Angie
Any book that makes you laugh out loud AND look up a word in the dictionary is a book I already love. You must get this book! It is a steal at twice the price. It's only my second e-book and I am really loving the lack of paper!

Finished this book and LOVED it! It's the kind of book that makes you wish for a snow day or the case of the sniffles to keep you in bed reading it through! The characters are believable. The story is robust with enough foreshadowing to keep you on pace with the action, b
Eden Baylee
Pilate's Cross has a bit of everything--action, romance and spine-chilling suspense. Mr. Greenwood has a very strong voice for storytelling. His style is to tease and draw you in, and that's exactly what happened when I read his book.

I don't read many mystery books, but now, I'll have to wait for his next one to be further thrilled by the adventures of John Pilate.
Barb Harris
I'm not one to pick up a mystery or action book, but the underlying "story within a story" (somewhat based on real-life events says the author) intrigued me. One afternoon, I took off work early to spend the afternoon in my easy chair reading Pilate's Cross. I was sucked in immediately. The writer gets your wrapped up in the deep, dark secrets of the town of Cross, and it's hard not to fall in love with the flawed yet charming John Pilate. Looking forward to more by Mr. Greenwood.
Kerrific Kerr
Wasn't expecting such a good book in a thin little thing. Prologue set up for an interesting book and it stayed that way until the end. Pilate was the all around good guy trying to do what is right. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to whomever is a murder mystery fan.
Erik
Entertaining and compelling story crafted by a natural storyteller. Looking forward to more from the incomparable Mr. Greenwood.
Karen
John Pilate has had it rough, he’s on a one way ride to self destruction, until he moves to Cross as a replacement teacher. At Cross College, small Midwestern land-grant college, John hopes to redeem himself. He is intrigued when given information concerning a murder that took place in 1963 at the college, but he didn’t bank on what was to unfold.

The author, J. Alexander Greenwood, has done a great job of turning the underdog into a hero. The story is believable, the characters are life like, an
Alex
If I say so myself...it's an entertaining read! The story centers on John Pilate, his sarcastic “imaginary friend” Simon and lovely instructor friend Kate as they investigate the mystery of a college president murdered mere days after JFK's assassination--a mystery that still has loose ends 40 years later. In too far to "wash his hands of the mystery," he risks death to get to the truth of what really happened in 1963 and why it is still just as deadly 40 years later.
Murder mystery based on actual events. Entertaining, but was frustrated by shallowness of plot. I was also side-tracked by poor typesetting/design of book along with many typos. I did get to meet the author at a recent book club, which was really interesting. Alex braved all kinds of questions regarding his book and was very gracious!
Nicole
I am a great fan of what's called the English cozy school of murder mysteries. That said, this mystery novel would not fit into that tradition so it was a bit of divergence from the norm for me, not that that in itself is a bad thing. The plot summary intrigued me and that was why I wanted to read this novel.

Unfortunately, I did not like the protagonist. For whatever reason, he bothered me and his imaginary "friend" did not work for me as well. I didn't care to hear about the number of times he
James Jr.
Pilate’s Cross by J. Alexander Greenwood was thoroughly captivating. It was a well-crafted mystery, populated by expertly created characters.

In a time where mystery protagonists are either Sherlock Holmes or Monk knock-offs, we are instead treated to an unwitting detective who finds himself in the midst of a mystery that he doesn’t really wish to try and solve. Unfortunately, he finds it imperative that he does solve it – perhaps even at his own peril. We throw the term “inner demons” about regu
Jeannie Walker
An unassuming college professor has a problem: he sees his alter ego whenever he gets off his medication that is prescribed for depression.
Being a Gemini myself, I do believe people born in the Gemini sign have twins. I know my other personality sticks her nose into what I am doing from time to time, but I am not on any medication (maybe I should be?).
Okay, back to the novel: John Pilate has a rough go of it and takes a job at Cross College. He comes across information about a murder that happen
Sharon
John Pilate is an unassuming college professor with a problem: his alter ego, Simon, shows up in the mirror whenever he goes off of his antidepressant medication. Pilate takes a job at tiny Cross College in the hopes of starting his life over completely, only to find himself embroiled in a decades-old mystery.

Author J. Alexander Greenwood has created some interesting characters in this tale, as well as some that I found a trifle two-dimensional. All the same, he took me by surprise with a couple
Gina
I won this in a giveaway, and I was excited to read it. I would have read it as soon as it arrived in the mail, but I was busy. Anyway, I really liked this book. It's funny, and very, very entertaining. And it was a very quick read, finished it in a few days. Well weeks if you count the days I didn't read it, but once I actually sat down to read it, it was read quickly. Can't wait to check out the next book. I mean, when I get the chance.
Diana Duncan
The mystery in this book was very interesting. I found some of the dialogue extremely annoying, however, and there were too many typos/grammatical errors.
Mindi Rosser
Action-packed opening chapter. Author left me complacent in the doldrums of the 20 - 50% mark. I gave up due to lack of interest.

This book is a part of my 50-fiction-works-to-read before I can start my own novel. Therefore, my review is simply a brief summation of my analytical observations based upon personal style.

Sharon Kreher
An enjoyable read from this author's first novel. Kept my attention throughout. Liked the characters and the setting. Made me want to learn more about them .... thankfully the story continues in the sequel, Pilate's Key.
Alita
This was a fun read, especially since I went to a small college in the Midwest. I just started the next book, "Pilate's Key," and have the feeling that we are at the beginning of a highly entertaining series.
Jack
John Pilate goes to start a new life a long way from home and finds himself embroiled in intrigue in a small college town. Enjoyable mystery with engaging characters.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Patty R.
Patty R. marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Stevek
Stevek marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Eddie Mann
Eddie Mann marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Starr
Starr marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
J. Alexander Greenwood is author of the acclaimed John Pilate Mystery Series, including Pilate's Cross, Pilate's Key, Pilate's Ghost and Pilate's Blood (Caroline Street Press). His next John Pilate Mystery, Pilate's Seven, is scheduled for release in summer 2015.

Pilate's Cross was named a "Page Turner" by Shelf Unbound magazine in 2014. Pilate's Key was a 2012 Kindle Book Review Award semi-final
More about J. Alexander Greenwood...
Obsidian Pilate's Key (John Pilate Mysteries Book #2) Pilate's Ghost (John Pilate Mysteries) Pilate's Blood Pilate's 7

“The real core of this book is about the open secrets that can fester in a community until an outsider raises questions.” 5 likes
“I really enjoyed hearing the likesand dislikesof my readers at book clubs as well as meeting new fans at the book signing at The Bookworm in Omaha " he said. "The book clubs have overwhelmingly asked me to hurry up on writing the sequel.” 2 likes