Start by marking “Sharks! (National Geographic Kids)” as Want to Read:
Sharks! (National Geographic Kids)

Sharks! (National Geographic Readers)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  241 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Published July 8th 2008 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Sharks!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharks!

I love this book because Brontë loves this book. And Brontë loves sharks, and this book is the reason Brontë loves sharks (interesting that Zombies are her favourite monster and sharks are her favourite animal, isn't it?). And I can see why.

Anne Schreiber doesn't dumb things down for the kids. She brings them along with her in a conversation about sharks, and when she talks about predators and prey, or cartilege, or serrated teeth, she takes the time (in little side blurbs) to explain what she'
Rachael Mack
Dec 01, 2014 Rachael Mack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
National Geographic: Sharks is part of a series about a plethora of wild animals. The book includes so many facts about sharks and what their life is like. The facts include things life diet, teeth, and the many types of sharks that exist in the ocean. I enjoyed that this book had access features such as blurbs of word definitions to help children understand what the author is talking about. I love the idea of learning new words while learning new information. It is a win-win!
What caught my eye
Clare McHale
Apr 23, 2016 Clare McHale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informational books are a wonderful resource for children! They learn so much from reading just one book. This would be a great book to have in the classroom at a free time table where kids can go once they've completed an assignment early. These books are so kid friendly that the minute they put it down they'll be asking for another book. This one is specifically about the sharks in the ocean.

There's some great shots of these big scary sharks up close. It gives information about all the differ
Leslie Kress
Mar 18, 2015 Leslie Kress rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sharks! is a fun and engaging book that teaches children a great deal about sharks. This book covers information from shark babies to shark teeth and the facts are presented in an interesting and clear way. The author includes bright and interesting photographs, lots of diagrams, labels and close ups of the pictures. I like that the glossary in the back includes photographs. This is a great book for children because students can learn a lot about sharks, but the book is not too long or boring. I ...more
Aug 05, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love using this super-high-interest book for guided reading with my 2nd grade ESOL students, especially for text features and new vocabulary. We make an index-card wall of the new vocab, represented by pictures, and we re-title the headings of each section based on what each student determines is the most important main idea of that section. It's also a great way to introduce different morphemes (the section on the weirdest, creepiest, and fastest sharks is a fun way to explore superlatives. A ...more
Since I teach 4th/5th grade, I teach nonfiction text, text features, and how those features help us understand text. These National Geographic magazines for students are a fantastic way to teach nonfiction text! I personally love using these in nonfiction lessons and small group work! They are so helpful with identifying text features! I personally love this one too! There are so many good facts, details, and really get kids excited about reading! I would recommend this in any clas ...more
Jaclyn Tilden
Mar 16, 2015 Jaclyn Tilden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It will have you by it's jaw! I was introduced to this book by the writing series of Luck Calkins. This book has a lot of photos and short passages that make it easy to read. The layout is great for students to references to be able to write there own informational writing. The author still uses big vocabulary but students are still able to comprehend. I also enjoyed how they author talks about all different types of sharks instead about just one specific one.

Oct 14, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love using these National Geographic books in my guided reading to explore Non Fiction books. I also put these in my classroom library for students to explore. I do a Non Fiction writing unit on animals and I always choose one book to read at the beginning of the lesson. This has always been one that I choose to read. The students love the facts and the different pictures.
Felicia Taylor
Oct 18, 2016 Felicia Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sharks are sometimes gentle giants until you cross into their territory. They also come in all different shapes, size, and colors with crazy looking teeth. This could be a good book to introduce diversity because each one of us are different in their own way.
Brian Perez
Nov 25, 2014 Brian Perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is a great because it shows how sharks do stuff and how they survive in the ocean they talk about all kind of different sharks it shows all the body parts and how they attack.i lick it because i like sharks cause they do cool things.
Brooke Parmely
This book is easy to read and has a lot of information about sharks. It is a great way of providing a lot of useful information about sharks to the children. The pictures are neat, also.
Shana Frazin
Feb 10, 2014 Shana Frazin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect mentor text for Nonfiction Chapter Books, an information writing book for first graders that is a part of Heinemann's Units of Study in Opinion, Information and Narrative Writing.
Melynda Moore
What: This book talks about different sharks anatomy, where they live, what they eat, and what they look like. It includes many great real pictures that go perfectly along with the text.
So What: Students must learn about the external characteristics of different organisms and how they use them.
Now What: Students will create their own shark model out of whatever material they use. It can be drawn or made into a 3d model. The model must include the exterior characteristics of the shark and studen
Jonathan Nordstrom
A great kids book
Aug 31, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for emerging readers. I was so proud that my son was able to read the majority of it to me! He really enjoyed this one.
Canadian Reader
A well-written engaging text that contains many lesser known facts about sharks. The focus isn't only on the Great White.
Tom D
Jan 25, 2015 Tom D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book about my favourite sea-creature, well worth a read for all those interested in the ocean
Chelsea Kimmey
Guided towards 2-3 graders who are interested in sharks. The pictures add interest to the text
Apr 12, 2016 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smart
Yes, I did indeed read this book - with my SMART reader from WL Henry.
Dilson Abreu
Dec 11, 2014 Dilson Abreu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not knew all this information about the sharks
Natalie Weber
Great facts in this book
Mar 11, 2014 Herzon marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I like it
Nov 02, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just got a set of these National Geographic Readers for my oldest son today through his school book order and they are AWESOME! We started out reading this one first and I couldn't believe how much information was enclosed in this short little book! I learned a lot about sharks as did my son. As always with National Geographic's productions, the pictures were splendid and added so much to the text. I would highly recommend this book/series!
Jun 23, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an interactive piece of literature. It steps out of the book and asked the reader to participate. I really enjoyed it because of all the valuable information that it reported. It gives information on the fastest, the smallest, and the weirdest looking sharks. With all the information in the book, it goes a step further an gives an assessment at the end which I thought was a great idea and a big help for reading comprehension.
This is a great non-fiction book from National Geographic on sharks. Lots of photos and short bursts of information make it great for the struggling reader. It's layout and look make it appealing to the older struggling reader or ESL student. This is a must for a school library.
vampire lover
Jan 16, 2012 vampire lover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a long time ago and tottaly forgot all about it. It is a great book if your looking for intertanment. but if you want real information get sharkapedia. look that book up. when you find it see hoow much it really is then compare prices if it is higher then $12.00
Wooden Horse
I enjoy the silly jokes along the top a little too much sometimes. The text is informative and the pictures are pretty graphic. The one on the cover is probably the scariest. There is a similar one with an unfortunate fish but it's not bloody like the cover image.
General information on sharks and specific details about certain species are accompanied by close-up photographs of the great fish in action. Insets with jokes and word definitions appear frequently. This is a very good choice for elementary libraries.
This easy to read book about sharks will surely be engaging for students. The photos are appealing while the text is simple, yet informative. This would be great during our food chains and webs unit. Perfect for my below level readers.
Ted Parsons
Kids love sharks and this book was very informational about sharks. This book would be nice to have in a classroom library for students to read independently. It would definintely improve on a student's schema about sharks.
  • Bats
  • Snakes! (National Geographic Readers)
  • This Is the Dream
  • Sharks (Fly Guy Presents, #1)
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Fields of Fury
  • Years of Dust
  • Hippos Are Huge!
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • March of the Penguins: Companion to the Major Motion Picture

National Geographic Readers (1 - 10 of 97 books)
  • Ants
  • Bats
  • Caterpillar to Butterfly (National Geographic Readers)
  • Cats vs. Dogs (National Geographic Readers)
  • Cheetahs (National Geographic Readers, Level 2)
  • Deadliest Animals (National Geographic Readers)
  • Deadly Predators (National Geographic Readers)
  • Dinosaurs