Start by marking “The Conspiracy Club” as Want to Read:
The Conspiracy Club

The Conspiracy Club

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  5,353 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

When his passionate romance with nurse Jocelyn Banks is cut short by her kidnapping and brutal murder, young psychologist Jeremy Carrier is left emotionally devastated, haunted by his lover’s grisly demise—and eyed warily by police still seeking a prime suspect in the slaying.

“An unnerving, highly cinematic plot . . . [Kellerman has] headed of
Published November 25th 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Conspiracy Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conspiracy Club

Lewis Weinstein
A new character for Jonathan Kellerman, and what I found to be a truly entertaining read, in the category of what I call my "nighttime escape" reading from the intensive research I do for my novel-writing.

Dr. Jeremy Carrier is a partially developed character, but more than sufficient for this story. The plot is somewhat stretched, but so is every "thriller/crime" plot.

My standard for this kind of novel is whether I am looking forward to reading a few more chapters, and this book met that test
Thom Dunn
Not so much a whodunit or a whydunit--more like a what-on-Earth-is-going-on-? A hospital staff psychologist coping with the loss of his girl friend to murder and the consequent depression finds himself a target of interest for a group of five older wealthy retired people who tell him of their interest in the roots of violence. Strange anonymous mailings begin to arrive. Murders similar to that of his wife crop up in the newspaper. The police come calling. Our protagonist gropes through an eerie ...more
Tom
Oct 14, 2008 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's my review system--I score on four categories and average them together for the number of stars. The four categories are: character development (are the characters deep and complex, plot (is it interesting), voice (is the narration smooth and engaging) and cliche level (is it predictable.)

Character development: 5 stars--Kellerman is very good at getting inside the head of his characters

Plot: 4 stars-- It took forever but there was a nice twist or two

voice: 5 stars-- Very easy and pleasa
Nancy
Jan 25, 2017 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a nice break, for us and the author, from the Alex Delaware novels that Kellerman is known for. The main character Jeremy wasn't well developed and seemed naïve for a psychologist, but yet I appreciated a break from Alex's bourgeois ways. The plot was also a bit thin as a thriller, as he tries to piece together who murdered his ex-girlfriend. Tepid thumbs up.
Megan Anderson
Jul 14, 2012 Megan Anderson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
May very well be the worst book I’ve read this year. I’m trading it in at the first opportunity.

This was the wrong book to read right after reading "A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation" in October 2011. Kellerman’s style is elementary – he uses short sentences and chapters to fool the reader into thinking the plot is fast paced when there’s really nothing going on. Kellerman spends a disproportionate time on things that don’t matter to the plot or characterization (the longest an
Kevin Bresnahan
This is a rare change from Kellerman's Alex Delaware series, as he introduces a similar character, Jeremy Carrier. He molds him in some ways like Alex, yet he seem more nieve yet no less inquisitive. His girlfriend is murdered, and there are no suspects. The detective working the case keeps tabs on Carrier, yet he is portrayed as an annoyance who detracts from the story (comparsion to Milo Sturgis doesn't work). He works with other patients, and is mentored by a mysterious psycharist, who goes o ...more
S.A.
Feb 07, 2012 S.A. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read other books by Kellerman before The Conspiracy Club and don't remember the weird, herky-jerkey sentence structure. This novel seems rushed, like he plotted out the story but only went back to fill in certain details like the dinner party scene where the over the top language reads more like bad purple prose. When words detract from the story there's trouble afoot.

"She sat right up against him, their thighs laminating." Say what? Their thighs became coated in plastic? Writers try for fr
Brian
Nov 29, 2010 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Conspiracy Club is good book, but not a great book in my opinion. It is supposed to be a who-dunnit but it is more of a 'what is going on' type of book. It does show what the psychiarty department does in a hospital setting, although there is a lot of medical terms and procedures mentioned that was over my head. And then there is the club of senior, well to do people which makes you wonder what they have to do with it. But in the end, everything works out. I would recommend this book, with r ...more
Metrodorus
May 19, 2011 Metrodorus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I almost stopped reading after a few pages, because the prose just seemed awkward and without value. For example:

"Arthur's bow-tie hung askew in a way that suggested intention."

After pressing ahead however, I found it was a fun, light-weight thriller. Descriptive material which adds no value is rife and can be skimmed at no cost to the reader. Clunky sentences can be instantly dismissed with no further thought.

In all, a decent yarn to be read at speed, nothing more.

Kw
Feb 28, 2012 Kw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I stuck with it, so it must not be too bad, but I just don't buy the idea of the CCC going to so much trouble to help Dr. C. solve this (and remove suspicion from himself, save lives, and all that), when they could have simply shared their theory with the authorities and perhaps prevented a death or two. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think so.
Jerry
Jul 20, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
New shrink doc a lot like old one, but decent story awaits...

Feeling that the Alex Delaware series has lost a great deal of zest in recent books, we snapped up this latest Kellerman on learning it featured a completely new leading man, psychologist Jeremy Carrier. This doc practices on staff at a regular hospital; and we were surprised to learn how busy he was with the care and concerns of fairly normal patients whose current medical conditions were mostly other than mental difficulties. Carrie
Henri Moreaux
The main character of this book is Dr Carrier whose partner has been murdered and the police suspect him as the culprit. Enter a retired pathologist, Dr Chess, who foists his friendship upon Dr Carrier introduces him to a strange dining club and leads him along a trail to the real killer via a series of obscure and illogical steps.

My biggest issue with this book, is if the dining club knew exactly who murdered Dr Carrier's partner why did they sit back and let several other women be murdered jus
Nancy
Jul 20, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancy by: Lona or Bonnie
Shelves: mystery
Two and a half for me. The author is very descriptive about food and location and all, which was okay with me. I felt it was all about creating an atmosphere. The story was okay and the main characters were fine. Everything was just fine. I liked the portrayal of Jeremy. I found it implausible that Jeremy would really 'face off' with the killer considering the killer's use of lasers to slice and dice. The case was built for this encounter, I just didn't really buy it.

Sensitivity: One of the pati
Carl Alves
Jonathan Kellerman takes a break from his usual Alex Delaware novels with this entry. The main protagonist is Jeremy Carrier, a psychologist at a hospital, who is recovering from the brutal murder of his wife. He befriends Dr. Arthur Chess, an older doctor and his group of elderly friends who have a private group that are interested in investigating crime and studying evil. Meanwhile, Jeremy is receiving messages that are clues about his wife’s killer as well as other murders that have plagued t ...more
Susie
Feb 12, 2012 Susie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a pleasant but not thoroughly engaging read. The main character, a psychologist at a hospital, had recently lost his girlfriend and was under suspicion for her murder. An older pathologist befriended him and he began receiving cryptic notes, research articles, and post cards that motivated him to solve the murder and stop the serial killer.

I would classify this book as a good, non-romance beach read. Though I do prefer my beach reads with the romance.
Sujaritha
The book starts with a promising note to keep you interested. It just falls short of reader expectations. The use of a cryptic society to enlighten the investigator is an idea that the reader would find it a little to hard to comprehend. But, nonetheless a decent book in comparison to all the thriller novels that crowd the book shelves these days.
Barbara
Nov 20, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another new author for me. I found myself in a state of suspense at various times in this nove. I would have liked to "meet" the villain earlier in the novel, but I guess that would have defeated the purpose of the "conspiracy club". Good story.
Rebecca
May 12, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved the Alex Deleware novels that Kellerman writes. When I saw this book, I grabbed it and really enjoyed it. What a pleasure to read a Kellerman novel with a new twist. Well developed characters and some very interesting plot turns. I definitely recommend this book.
Justin Katz
Nov 22, 2010 Justin Katz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slight departure from the Alex Delaware novels, Kellerman doesn't leave the profession with his main character, just the LA area. I found this character new and very interesting. He wasn't perfect, he just seemed determined, which made me want to keep reading.
Monique Abbett
Apr 04, 2013 Monique Abbett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good sitting-on-the-beach-need-a-thriller book.
Estrellita
Jan 05, 2017 Estrellita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting. I thought I had the killer pegged, but was dead wrong. Now, that is good writing! I was on the edge of my seat for so much of it.
Don
Feb 18, 2017 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off slow for the first 150 pages then picks up good keeps you interested until the end.
Deschep9
Knap verhaal maar enkele passages zijn onnodig lang uitgeschreven.
Sara Barton
Oct 16, 2014 Sara Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
85 out of 100 points -- 4 stars

Plot -- 17 out of 20 points
In a killing eerily reminiscent of Jack the Ripper, a young nurse is brutally murdered by someone with specific surgical skills. When Jeremy Carrier, the psychologist hero, becomes a suspect in his girlfriend’s murder, his grief-driven attitude and psychically-numbed responses cloud his judgment, leading him deeper into dangerous territory. A series of mysterious communications arrive in his office, leading him to conclude that the unknow
Nilam Suri
Oct 20, 2011 Nilam Suri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, psychology
Siaul, udah nulis panjang2 kehapuuuus.

Eniwei, buku ini hasil temuan seharga 15rb di periplus PIM yang lalu. Dan dibaca hanya dalam waktu satu hari, padahal saya jarang menyelesaikan buku bule secepat itu. Indikasi ini entah karena bukunya memang bagus banget, atau memang sayanya yang jobless banget. Tapi buku ini memang sangat enak dibaca, dan walaupun buku criminal tapi sudut pandangnya dari sisi psikologi dan lumayan awam, karena tokohnya seorang psikiater rumah sakit biasa.

Jadi, begini cerita
Stephanie
Mar 13, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: my mom just brought it home one day
This book was amazing. It was very well written, and despite taking a bit of time to build up the action, it kept me pulled in the entire time. I mentioned it many times but this book made me laugh often; I'm sure it was because of Jeremy's sarcasm and occasional clumsiness.
As for the 'plot twist', I was so certain Arthur was the murderer from the beginning of the book! This book really put everything together; all the characters, minor or major, were not dull, lifeless characters, which is w
David Roberts
Nov 29, 2013 David Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the novel The Conspiracy Club by Jonathan Kellerman which is a very good psychological thriller which I bought from a car boot sale. This is a standalone thriller about a psychologist who has an inappropriate realtaionship with one of his clients and then she gets murdered. A pathologist dostor who is like a mentor to him also gets killed and it looks like he is the top suspect. He starts doing a little detective and notices lots of people are dying in suspicious circumstances whi ...more
Erek
I read this adult book when i was in the 6th or 7th grade...
yet it rocked my world!
One of the best mystery books i have encountered...
the doctor, Jeremy, is scarred since the death of his lovely sweetheart Jocelyn who was butchered in a "humpty dumpty fashion" says the detectives...and whats worse, our Jeremy is the prime suspect.
So when another one of the murders are committed Jeremy is thrown into a world he never expected to be in, one of mystery, murder, a twisted serial killers fantasy land
Gae-Lynn Woods
Jul 10, 2014 Gae-Lynn Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of Jonathan Kellerman, and I always hesitate to deviate from his Alex Delaware novels. They're solid fare and I like the characters. It took me a while to get into THE CONSPIRACY CLUB, but I wound up enjoying it very much. Dr. Jeremy Carrier came across as cold and unemotional to me, which was probably why I had a hard time with the story at first, and I never really warmed up to him.

But Kellerman throws some great twists into the story, and he manages to keep you guessing right
Paul
Apr 19, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like to consider myself a rather dyed-in-the-wool type of Jonathan Kellerman reader, but this book wasn't my very favorite. I found it hard to get into at the beginning, and after I got into the story of it that details all seemed particularly fuzzy. I never felt like I had a good handle on either what was happening or why. Perhaps the fact that I kept picturing Alex Delaware as the main character was one of my problems with it. I don't know why that would've happened, except that Kellerman se ...more
Conspiracy Club 5 23 Jun 24, 2013 03:03PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Conspiracy Club 1 2 Feb 13, 2012 01:56PM
  • Stone Kiss (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #14)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
  • The Devil's Code (Kidd & LuEllen, #3)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

“Here I come, victims of the world. God help all of us.” 1 likes