Start by marking “The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, And Online” as Want to Read:
The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, And Online

The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, And Online

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,096 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Turn your craft into a successful business! Even the most expert crafters may find it challenging to market and sell their wares, but with Kari Chapin you have an experienced guide at your side. Learn to determine your cost of goods, set prices, identify the competition, and understand the ins and outs of wholesale and retail sales. Explore the various sales venues availab ...more
Published February 27th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Handmade Marketplace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Handmade Marketplace

Sasha
Feb 28, 2011 Sasha rated it liked it
To be honest, most of this book is written in Successful Blog Style. What is Successful Blog Style, you ask? Well, it's a style of writing that mainly says bland, incomplete, obvious things that you already know, but presented stylishly, charmingly, disarmingly and warmly. The premise is usually something you find deeply fascinating, that fills your mind with a sense of interest, curiosity, and promise. Ultimately the Successful Blogger sells (via advertising) this back to you. You often learn v ...more
Eleanor
Feb 01, 2012 Eleanor rated it really liked it
Shelves: grow-diy
This book is fun, easy to read and knows its audience of crafters very well. I appreciate the voices of other crafters woven into the chapters. Overall, the book emphasizes building community and your own creative practice and I think that's where the voices of other crafters really help demonstrate that this sense of community is very real. This book has good advice for craters looking to go to craft fairs and establish and online presence, but I think the advice about taxes and accounting is r ...more
Jeannine
Feb 23, 2010 Jeannine rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-creativity
Well designed book (I mostly bought this because my friend Amber is quoted in it and because I loved the illustrations and design).

The information presented is great, though available in other books. I would really **love** to have a similar book (or a chapter in a current book) devoted to indie marketing of "art" (such as original paintings for example). This book and others like it are helpful for artisans who make things - soap, mittens, stuffies, etc - but "art" seems to require a slightly t
Yulia
Oct 02, 2012 Yulia rated it really liked it
Shelves: skills-crafts
I don't remember how I came across this book but I sell on Etsy, so I was interested to know what this book was about. It has a lot of good information, some I already knew, and some was completely knew to me. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about starting selling their handmade treasures or who is already doing so. Lots of great information in one place!
Arianna
Jun 10, 2014 Arianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Handmade Marketplace is a wonderful resource for anyone who's thought about selling their art or handcrafted work. Kari writes in a friendly, conversational tone and guides the reader through all the ins and outs of operating a small business. A large variety of topics are discussed including marketing, branding, using social media in your business, how to take the perfect photos, selling in your community, legal details, shop policies, selling at craft fairs, and more!

Included in the book a
Nicole
Dec 09, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
I have a crush on everything about this book.
Chrissy
Mar 12, 2010 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
I really found this book very useful and I am so glad I got the chance to review it. I have always wanted to learn how to list and sell my homemade crochet and scrap booking items. This book for me was a real tool to have not only does it tell you how to it also tells you how to get set up and started. The steps she takes you threw and the things you learn in this book will most definitely help you to set up your own business.

I really enjoyed the chapters on social media, blogging and marketing.
Andrea
Mar 05, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it
This book is very approachable for those looking to take a side hobby of crafting and expand upon your opportunities.

What I found most helpful were the different sites of other bloggers, podcasters, and crafty knowledge.

As a former business major it is not at all the book you should get if you want to open a brick and mortar store or if you are going to be expanding over the size of you plus one. If you are looking for something like that please instead get New Venture Creation by Timmons it i
Elise
Jul 20, 2011 Elise rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what anyone considering a handmade business should read- it points out things you maybe neglected to realize when daydreaming about your own creative business. To run a successful business you'll probably need to read a lot more in depth on certain aspects but this book will get creative people thinking "It's not just about sitting round being an artist"; though that's a wonderful aspect there is marketing, legal issues, accounting, and much more to think of. Highly recommen ...more
Sabrina Barnett
Jan 16, 2015 Sabrina Barnett rated it really liked it
A great, easy-to-read lil' book about making $$$ of yr arts, esp. if you're like me and don't understand how the hell the internet or money work.
Anastacia
There's no shortable of books like this on the market nowadays - everyone wants to capitalize on their hobbies & make a buck or two - I don't blame anyone for that, because I started doing that myself four years ago!

Having a "hobby" business - aka a business that a lot of people do for "fun" or as a "hobby" has its own unique challenges not seen with other business models - like a restaurant, for example. If you own a restaurant, you don't have to worry about competing with the restaurant do
Mary Kay
Kari Chapin walks the walk. She is currently not only promoting her own crafting business, but also her fledgling author-ship career, by doing the very things she outlines in her book. One issue with any book on the heavy use of Social media, of course, is that the landscape changes every second. This book was just published this year as an update to a previous version, yet... most of the information is already known and widely available.
Kari herself points to this in her book.
"Now, this best
Rebecca
Dec 31, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
The Handmade Marketplace is an insightful and information rich resources for crafters and artists who want to start making money on their work or expand their business. Though some of the internet related information is already outdated, the book is a fountain of knowledge with tips and tricks from crafters and artists all across the board. The book itself is beautifully designed with cute illustrations and organized so that any information is easily accessible.

I wanted this book to help with th
Pam
Jan 08, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
A good starting point when thinking about going into the craft-selling business. Most of it is common sense, I think, but there are some helpful hints (the photography section is helpful). It will appeal more to those who really want to eventually make this into a business, as opposed to the hobby seller like me. Some of the info I just skipped over (not seeing myself podcasting).
Sophie
Sep 17, 2014 Sophie rated it liked it
I am a little skeptical of these types of small business books especially when they are geared towards the handmade market and I only read this in preparation for a couple of blog post ideas. I have to be honest, The Handmade Marketplace would definitely provide a very useful resource for anyone thinking about or just starting a new handmade business. While there were a few bits of advice I completely disagreed with, this book covers quite a few areas (like pricing for wholesale and taxes) oth ...more
Dor
Jun 11, 2014 Dor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
[I was provided with book for the price of No Monies thanks to the publisher, Storey Publishing, and the ever wonderful NetGalley. It is available (hopefully) today: June 11th!]

[A very important note: this is not one for the ereader. You will want either a hardcopy, or a tablet/computer to read on. The layout is more like a magazine sans pictures.]

I love it when people give me money. I love it even more when people give me money for something I'm doing anyway, so I'm always on the lookout for wa
Melody
May 31, 2010 Melody rated it liked it
Breezy, fun overview of, well, how to sell one's crafts. It covers too much to be particularly in-depth- but it doesn't claim to be. Overall it felt like a series of magazine articles, with pull-quotes and boxes of more info and quirky but engaging illustrations. I don't know that I learned anything new, but I certainly read every word.
Jaime David
Apr 19, 2010 Jaime David rated it it was amazing
I am actually reading this book. There are no pictures or sewing projects and I will soon finish it cover to cover! It is a good reference for using modern means to market yourself and your wares. It is inspiring. I also enjoy that there are numerous perspectives offered throughout the book, making this concept more tangible.
Debra
Jun 13, 2014 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kari Chapin collected a group of nineteen talented artisans that sell their work, calling them her Creative Collective, and asking them the questions that the reader would ask. Their comments are quoted in side notes sprinkled throughout the book. I found the comments of the collective to be thoughtful, wise and invaluable to someone wanting to beginning selling their own creations. But that’s just the beginning of the information in this book.

Chapin organizes the book into three general parts:
Erin
Jun 07, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Handmade Marketplace (2nd Edition) is an informative and inspiring book all about selling your own crafts and handmade goods. The book is well thought out with the chapters following topics in an appropriate order for those starting out on a new business venture.

Amongst the chapters is advice on topics such as branding, pricing, working with others, hiring help, dealing with customers and marketing techniques (including blogging). The book also talks about how to find inspiration for your wo
MaryBeth Isaac
I have gone back and forth on whether or not I should turn my hobby into a side career. There is a big commitment, especially for someone (like me) with no knowledge what it takes to OWN and run a successful retail business. After reading this book I feel more educated on what it would take to make my business a success and the level of commitment involved.

This book covers not only what you need to do to get your business up and running (including pricing, record keeping, and even hiring), but a
Megan Anderson
Jul 14, 2012 Megan Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
I didn’t find every part of this book useful. In fact, I skipped over some parts (something I almost never do). That said, when I have more time I might go through those parts that I didn’t find immediately useful. Because even if we’ve already learned most of the tricks of the trade discussed in a certain chapter, there’s bound to be a gem hidden in those paragraphs somewhere.

I borrowed the book from a friend to read the section on craft fairs in order to prepare myself for our first craft fair
June Gilbank
Feb 01, 2011 June Gilbank rated it really liked it
Great information in this book if you're starting out trying to sell handmade goods. Most of it wasn't relevant to me, as a) I've been in this business for quite a few years now, and know most of the basics, and b) I don't sell finished handmade products, so the sections on craft fairs, consignment etc, while interesting, wouldn't apply to me!

The tone is warm and friendly, and the layout and look of the book is charming. It's an easy and informative read. I did find a few sentences (about 3) th
Susan
Feb 18, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
I borrowed the book from my local library because I keep toying with the idea of sell some of my handmade items. There are only so many items someone can reasonable keep or give as gifts. But they are fun to make. I just want more of feel for what it would take.

I have been around business being started so the section on setting up a business didn't have any surprises for me. Just added a bit of detail.

The rest of my life experience kept me from finding anything I hadn't brushed past already. I t
geraly
Mar 20, 2013 geraly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all
if you (like me) have ever considered getting serious about selling your garments or projects/crafts, this is the book for you....

it's written for crafters by crafters - easy to follow, understand, relate to and best of all very very encouraging...

the author and her panel of crafters cover everything from very basic business tips, marketing and branding including using social/online as well as print media, and selling - either online, in a store or a craft fair or all of the above...

i especiall
Jenny
Sep 12, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it
Handmade Marketplace: How to Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and On-Line is a book for aspiring entrepreneurs who sell their wares. The book goes step-by-step through how to set up a business and explores the various venues in which one might consider selling their crafts.

I thought this book was very informative, although somewhat broad and very much targeted to crafts (not as much targeted to selling paintings/artwork, which is why I was reading it). I think her structure is good and helpf
Kristal
Jul 11, 2014 Kristal rated it really liked it
In an effort to learn more about selling my painted furniture and other crafted goodies, I decided to read a few books that might offer some insight into what I needed to do. And this little gem was chock-full of useful information!

She begins with one of the core needs for any creative person - a nurturing space to work in. But you don't have to sacrifice a whole room for this, you can carve this space just about anywhere and with a few well-thought out items like an inspiration board, any room
Elizabeth Grieve
Jun 08, 2014 Elizabeth Grieve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really useful and comprehensive guide to selling crafts. As crafty folks know all too well, one might be able to make beautiful objects, but the selling ... well, that's the hard part. This book goes into great detail about marketing, networking, pricing, and everything else you need to know. The tax information is aimed at the US market, but apart from that it's an excellent 'how to' guide to selling, whether online or in your local area.

Reviewed in exchange for a preview Kindle copy.

Aubrey
Oct 12, 2012 Aubrey rated it really liked it
When it comes to rating a non-fiction book my main criteria is, did I benefit from it? Did I learn something? Is what I learned something that I could apply to my life? With this book, I say yes!

There were some skippable parts, mainly in the beginning, for me but the large majority addressed questions I had and answered some I didn't know I needed to ask.

I found the sections on blogging, advertising and publicity, your craft community, the craft fair scene, selling in brick-and mortar stores an
Darlyn Valencia
Jan 07, 2015 Darlyn Valencia rated it it was amazing
This author did an awesome job of collecting answers from a wide scope of entrepreneurs who had honestly useful advice. Kari also did a great job of making the book applicable to people in any kind of handmade businesses-general enough to apply to all, but not too general where it would be vague and useless. Easy read, well organized topics. I particularly love that after every segment Kari put an action box with a suggestion for implementing the tips in your work now.
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • How to Make Money Using Etsy: A Guide to the Online Marketplace for Crafts and Handmade Products
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens
  • Etsy-Preneurship: Everything You Need to Know to Turn Your Handmade Hobby Into a Thriving Business
  • The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects