Start by marking “Dark and Stormy Knights” as Want to Read:
Dark and Stormy Knights

Dark and Stormy Knights (Kitty Norville 0.6 - God's Creatures)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,993 Ratings  ·  383 Reviews
2 Even Hand by Jim Butcher 47 - John Marcone crime lord fights water demon with defenses against Dresden
3 The Beacon by Shannon K. Butcher 81 - Hereditary fighter faces monster that killed his father and town, plus little girl that attracts monster
4 Even a Rabbi
Published August 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark and Stormy Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark and Stormy Knights

On the Prowl by Patricia BriggsMen of the Otherworld by Kelley ArmstrongStrange Brew by P.N. ElrodMust Love Hellhounds by Charlaine HarrisDead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Best Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Anthologies
21st out of 212 books — 276 voters
Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
267th out of 1,218 books — 10,664 voters

More lists with this book...

Werner
Mar 28, 2014 Werner rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of dark urban fantasy or supernatural fiction who can tolerate bad language
Feb. 28, 2014
This is a collection of nine original stories in the urban fantasy genre, so reading it continues the broadening of my acquaintance with that field that I began last year. It's been on my radar for some time; I snagged a copy with a gift card I got for my most recent birthday, and used an interval this past week between novels I'm reading for common reads in two of my groups to get a start on it.

Besides her presumed role in selection, Elrod's contribution as editor only consists of
Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 31, 2012 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy

3 out of 5

I read this book on audio during my too long ride to work. Each story seems to have a different narrator and I enjoyed the change of voice for each story (even if every story wasn't so great).

The first story A Questionable Client by Ilona Andrews is a prequel to the Kate Daniels series featuring Kate's first run-in with sexy, shady shifter Saiman. I loved it. It's filled with sarcasam, gore and Saiman doing his creepy shifting thing and attempting to find the perfect form that'll make
Bry
Oct 26, 2010 Bry rated it liked it
Do you ever read anthologies and by the time you are done only remember 1 story?

Like all anthologies 1 was awesome, a couple were ok, 1 I skipped, and the rest I thought was some of the stupidest stories I had ever read. Meh. But I feel this way with every anthology. I read them to read my fave authors additions, but short stories just aren't my thing. Just too few pages to understand an entire universe especially if I haven't read anything from that author before.

I did particularly like 1 stor
Lightreads
Anthologies, you know. It’s like asking people to throw random things at your head and hoping they pick cotton balls instead of rocks.

The good

Rachel Caine, “Even a Rabbit Will Bite” – A surprise standout. I’m not a Rachel Caine fan (hello, deliberate impregnation without consent plotline in her series, unclean unclean!) but this really worked. Very ancient dragonslayer teaches the trade to her apprentice. There’s just one dragon left in the world now, and only on the brink of extinction can you
Kathy Davie
Jan 30, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
An anthology of four short stories with a central theme of the dark, stormy protector. A person who will fight to save but not always in the most scrupulous manner.

Series:
"A Questionable Client" (Kate Daniels, 0.5)
"Even Hand" (Dresden Files, after Marcone has signed the Unseelie Accords)
"Dark Lady" (Vampire Files: Jack Fleming, 2 years after his "death" and Lady Crymsyn is open)
"Shifting Star" (Zodiac, 4.75)
"God's Creatures" (Kitty Norville, ?)

The Stories
Ilona Andrews' "A Questionable Client" fi
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jul 13, 2010 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

A Questionable Client by Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels prequel)

Review:
I would have bought the whole anthology for this story alone. We get an early glimpse at Kate’s life and find out how she met the shapeshifter Saiman. Sadly, no Curran, but we do get a fun bit of Russian mythology. If you haven’t tried this series yet, you get a great sense of the humor, characters, and world that Kate lives in all packed into 46 excellent pages….5/5 bats

Clic
Lora
Aug 22, 2011 Lora rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Note: This review is only for Ilona Andrews' short story, A Questionable Client.

Length: 45 pages

Call me strange if you'd like, but I found Saiman interesting in the short glimpses we get of his character in Magic Bites and Magic Burns. Since I've been devouring each installment in the Kate Daniels series with vigor lately, I figured I should read the series prequel before moving any further. And when I found out that this prequel is Saiman and Kate's back story, I knew I had to check it out.

In A
Melindeeloo
Jul 31, 2010 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
Dark and Stormy Knights had some good short stories - The best of the bunch was the Iona Andrews short - Kate meets Saiman - if you are a Kate fan this may make the book worth buying. Also fun but not earthshattering were a Dresden universe short starring Johny Marcone and Vauhn's Cormac getting his own tale.

I was disappointed in Shannon Butcher's short - I was hoping for a Sentinels story. The two vampire detective shorts by PN Elrod and Lilith Saintcrow were so so, but if you are a fan of Elr
Carolyn F.
Audiobook. Anthology. I also have the paperback. Rating average 3.67 stars and then I averaged up to 4. Better than average anthology. I didn't know if I'd like the various narrators but ended up doing so. The problem I had was when a story would end I had no internet access sometimes and I'd have to try to remember what I thought of each story. I stopped listening when I had 2 stories to rate so I wouldn't screw this up.

1. A Questionable Client by Ilona Andrews. Very good story, prequel to the
Cathy
Overall, the best anthology I've read. I read every story except for one and enjoyed all to a greater or lesser degree. Kudos to Elrod for choosing authors who write short stories well (a tricky job) and good stories.

For those who are interested in more details:

I enjoyed the Ilona Andrews story very much. It was a prequel to their Kate Daniels series (the series is actually written by husband and wife team Gordon and Ilona). I finally know why Kate gets reduced rates from Saimon! I can't tell if
Emily
Jan 02, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010, review
Nora
Dec 27, 2011 Nora rated it really liked it
It's a good collection of stories, I'm not a big fan of anthologies because it's like putting your finger in cake frosting, why have just a taste when you can eat an entire piece. But, I liked the stories and got to read a few authors that weren't on my radar, and that I liked.

I just finished reading the first story, "A Questionable Client". Although I enjoyed it, (because I'm a fan of the Kate Daniels series) I think that if you read it on its own you dont know what's going on, nor who everyone
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
See, now this is why I don't like anthologies like this. There are too many authors in here and it pulls down the rating. Overall I liked this anthology. I give it a 3.5 star overall.

I borrowed it SPECIFICALLY to read the Ilona Andrews - Questionable client story. I liked it! I give it a 3.5 star. It's not my favourite novella of theirs, but it was pretty darn good. "Would you like some milk?"

The Rachel Caine one I give a 4 star. It kind of bruised my heart. Her's why. I love dragons. To read th
Kat
Apr 03, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it
Concept: short stories based on the idea of the modern knight, who isn't exactly bright and shiny, but a little more tarnished and dented up. I largely read it for the Jim Butcher Dresden Files contribution, but I always read the whole book when I pick up short stories. Good for reading in between potty training sessions over Spring Break. :) I'm just going to give some highlights here.

"Even Hand" by Jim Butcher is set in the Dresdenverse, but doesn't actually feature our favorite snarky wizard.
Nicole
Mar 07, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
Dan Guajars
Jan 10, 2015 Dan Guajars rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Es una colección de cuentos interesante, en la que NO encontré nada nuevo, tal vez alguna manera especial de justificar el uso de la magia y las criaturas mágicas, pero nada realmente destacable.

Para los seguidores de Harry Dresden, hay un cuento que enlaza entre el último libro y el que viene, y no es un gran cuento, es un relato forzado para mostrarnos un arma que tendrá valor estratégico en la historia.

Si lo encuentran y son fanáticos de la fantasía urbana, pues les va gustar. No me gustó ta
SA
Oct 27, 2010 SA rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Read this primarily for the Butcher short story "Even Hand," a Marcone story. Butcher is clearly gleeful when he gets to speak from another character's point of view, and you realize just how tunnel-visioned Harry Dresden is about life in general when you read these other POVs. Marcone was brilliant (definitely my favorite character) and it was well worth picking this up to read since "Even Hand" isn't included in Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files.
Tweed
Nov 23, 2015 Tweed rated it really liked it
I picked this up as a way to read even more Jim Butcher and Ilona Andrews. It met expectations in that regard. But I didn't expect all the other short stories to be so good!

"A Questionable Client" by Ilona Andrews - the earliest Kate Daniels story where she meets Saiman.

"Even Hand" by Jim Butcher - A brief encounter from Gentleman Johnny Marcone's point of view.

"The Beacon" by Jim Butcher's wife - It's interesting to see a story like this written by a woman, but from a man's point of view.

"Even
Riju Ganguly
Sep 27, 2015 Riju Ganguly rated it it was amazing
Anthologies, especially those dealing with various kinds of paranormal things, are strange & unpredictable creatures. Sometimes you come across such inept & cringe-worthy writing that makes you believe that people (mostly American teenagers, they have been defining stuff for a very long time now, thanks to the might of the Dollar in this unipolar world) would read ANYTHING. And then, you would read a book that contains dark & deadly stuff polished to a gleam that hurts, pains, and ye ...more
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Only read Ilona Andrews' "A Questionable Client."

I really enjoyed it and I would definitely recommend it to anyone that is going to read the series ~ and to read it first. It really gave some background information on how things came to be and a little more understanding of Kate. Saiman was really interesting and left me wondering if he's going to show up in the future books.
An Odd1
Apr 22, 2015 An Odd1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Humor and twists in several stories pulls up overall rating.

4* 1 A Questionable Client by Ilona Andrews 1 - Kate Daniels guards shifter Saimen, less trustworthy than the enemy Russians (view spoiler) Fun and scary surprises.
4* 2 Even Hand by Jim Butcher 47 - John Marcone crime lord fights water demon with defenses a
Ana
Dark and Stormy Knights é uma antologia que reúne alguns dos nomes americanos mais reconhecíveis da fantasia urbana. E não tendo ainda tido oportunidade de os ler a todos, achei que este livro era uma boa maneira de conhecer o estilo dos que ainda me eram desconhecidos e revisitar aqueles cujo trabalho já sigo.

Tendo ouvido o livro, mais do que lido, posso dizer que recomendo a versão audio, que é contada a várias vozes (uma para cada conto), e que todos os narradores fizeram um bom trabalho.

Quan
Anthony
Jan 22, 2011 Anthony rated it liked it
As I've already reviewed each story individually on the Livejournal [info]365shortstories community, I won't retread those thoughts here in any detail. Of the nine stories in this collection, five are definitely part of existing fictional worlds: Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels books, Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty" books, Vicki Pettersson's "Sings of the Zodiac" series, and editor P.N. Elrod's Jack Fleming mysteries. I was already very familiar with the Dresden books and have a ...more
Sylvia Sybil
Jul 31, 2010 Sylvia Sybil rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
"A Questionable Client" by Ilona Andrews - Five stars. An interesting short from the world of Kate Daniels. Regular readers gain a new perspective on Saiman and new readers are introduced to one of my favorite female protagonists. Kate's innovation and the villain's casual cruelty make this piece shine.

"Even Hand" by Jim Butcher - Five stars. Narrated by a villain slash uneasy ally from The Dresden Files, John Marcone. His quiet ruthlessness is a nice contrast to the series' white knight. Hints
Cecilia Quick
May 25, 2012 Cecilia Quick rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this anthology. It had one great novella by one of my favorite authors, and several entertaining stories by authors with whom I was unfamiliar but whose books I now want to read.
First, the best: "A Questionable Client", by Ilona Andrews. This was the main reason I wanted to read the book, and the authors did not disappoint. I've been intrigued by Saimon since I read the Kate Andrews series, and this is a fine introduction. He is at once amoral, vain, cowardly, smart, and amusing. I lau
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
May 10, 2012 Angie (Mind Malfunction) rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Sharon
I am not really a short story fan ordinarily, but these stories got me carried away & gave me an idea of the other writers style that I had not read before and I'll admit I cheated & listened to them on audio, each short story had a different narrator & the production was really great.
My favoutrites definately are 'Questionable Client' & 'Even Hand', but most have their merits, the most haunting had to be 'Even a rabbit will Bite', which stayed with me long after.
Here's a snap s
Michelle
Sep 10, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
I'm not sure if it's because I'm so used to reading all the wonderful snippets Ilona Andrews posts on her blog or if the husband-wife writer duo is just excellent at writing period (I'm thinking it's the latter), but I was exceptionally pleased their latest novella "A Questionable Client" found in the Dark and Stormy Knights anthology. After Magic Bleeds rocked my world earlier this year, I was in need of another Kate fix and this short and sweet little story did the job nicely.

"A Questionable C
Joel Neff
Sep 24, 2013 Joel Neff rated it really liked it
A Questionable Client by Ilona Andrews

Interesting new take on the vampire hunter trope. Lots of fun. I hadn't heard (read) any stories featuring Kate Daniels but I'm very interested in checking a few out after hearing this one. 4/5

Even Hand by Jim Butcher

This is a look into one of my favorite baddies from the Dresden books, John Marcone. We find out just a little bit more about the Gentleman, and his particular code. And what he'll do to keep it. Fun and easy to listen to. 4/5

The Beacon by Shann
The Flooze
4 stars for A Questionable Client by Ilona Andrews.
As a prequel story, it works well. It details Kate's first encounter with Saiman, showcases her wit and fighting ability, and offers a brief introduction to magic-devastated Atlanta. It also incorporates Russian folklore and the events here seem to have some bearing on the plot of book five, Magic Slays. Well-worth reading.

4 stars for Even Hand by Jim Butcher.
I love the Gentleman Gangster Johnny Marcone, so it's a treat to get a story told from
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Love Hurts (The Dresden Files, #11.5)
  • Must Love Hellhounds (Sookie Stackhouse #9.2; Guild Hunter #0.5; Kate Daniels #3.5; The Guardians #5.5)
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
Patricia Nead Elrod is an American fantasy writer specializing in novels about vampires. Her work falls into areas of fantasy and (in some cases) mystery or historical fiction, but normally not horror, since her vampires are the heroes. -Wikipedia
More about P.N. Elrod...

Kitty Norville (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10)

“Love is responsible for nearly every kind of insanity in the world though greed, vanity, and pure meanness contribute their portion to general misery.” 12 likes
“How can you say that so casually? You're talking about the possible death of hundreds of people, yourself included."

He gave a negligent shrug. "Wrong place, wrong time. Life sucks.”
9 likes