Start by marking “Above Suspicion (Haggerty Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Above Suspicion (Haggerty Mystery, #3)

Above Suspicion (Haggerty Mystery #3)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,443 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
It's been five years since Mary Grace O'Malley has seen John Wright. And right at this moment, Mary Grace wishes she wasn't seeing him standing in the dining room of her Bed and Breakfast Inn. Now the rising star reporter has returned to the small Florida town of Bethany Beach to investigate an unsolved murder — and to see Mary Grace.
As John persuades Mary Grace to help hi
Published October 1st 2003 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Above Suspicion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above Suspicion

Jana (That Artsy Reader Girl)
I think there was a little too much cheesy LDS stuff in this one. I mean, I'm an active member of the church and love it, but I don't like books that shove religion at you in a non-realistic way or an over-dramatic way just to teach something. I was also getting tired of the exact same thing happening over again:

She woke up, she took a shower, she got dressed, she went down to breakfast, she got changed into work clothes, she cleaned the rooms and delivered fresh towels, she talked to this perso
Sandy
Jul 11, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
As John persuades Mary Grace to help him explore the tragic secrets of twenty-five years ago, Miss Eugenia Atkins and her friends arrive at the Arms for a pleasant
Linda Hart
Jul 19, 2012 Linda Hart rated it it was amazing
My 2nd book by Betsy Brannon Green and I will read more because they are just plain fun with the right combination of suspense and romance. The Southern Haggarty ladies are delightful, especially Miss Eugenia and the audio narrator is wonderful. Although a bit predictable, it was fun to see it all unravel and there were a few surprises. This book appeals to LDS audience especially, but I think the non LDS reader would enjoy it & be enriched. Again, this book reminded me of Miss Marple and al ...more
Susan
May 20, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
The Haggerty ladies are on vacation at the Bethany Arms hotel. Miss Eugenia even cons Kate and Mark Iverson to join them. Mary Grace inherited the Arms from its previous owner and feels an obligation to keep it running despite her two misfit employees and pressure from her attorney/friend to sell. John Wright, a reporter, comes to Bethany Beach on assignment to investigate unsolved murders, and Bethany Beach has a 25-year-old unsolved murder. John is also a man Mary Grace met before his mission, ...more
Nancy
Oct 13, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
I was somewhat concerned after reading several of the review that I may not enjoy the book. However, I found the book easy to read, entertaining, and hard to put down. The author did input some things about the LDS Church but I didn't think she overdid it at all. The story was a little predictable but it was interesting to see how it all came together.
Brenda
May 05, 2009 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This is my 2nd of Betsy's books and I loved it! It even had the old ladies of Haggerty in it! Great characters, lots of twists and turns, and a little romance to keep you interested. Very cute (an appearance by the Visiting Teachers to lend a hand) and a little predictable, but safe for your heart. Can't wait to read more of her fun work!
Sue
Oct 08, 2009 Sue rated it liked it
I really enjoyed it, the romance, the characters... a good, quick read. But it reminded me of a Scooby Doo episode, where they have their mystery and then catch the guy, and then he confesses everything, and says: "If it weren't for you nosy brats, I could have gotten away with it too".
Bryn Clegg
Dec 04, 2015 Bryn Clegg rated it it was ok
I LOVE the first book in the series, "hearts in hiding." This one was harder for me; I loved how the Haggerty ladies made an appearance, but everything else was difficult for me. I saw the answer to the mystery a mile and a half off, and the romance was too quick. There were too many moments when the main character reminisced about the past. It was an entertaining light read though.
Gail
Jul 05, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing
This was a great story - it had 2 different secrets/mysteries going on at the same time and a love story too. I was able to solve the last mystery and knew how the love story was going to go but the one big mystery was a real shock. I really like how the author interweaves the LDS people in the lives of all those around them and all their experiences together make for great friendships. This is a nice, easy read and purely entertainment.
Megan Swanson
Sep 03, 2010 Megan Swanson rated it really liked it
It's predictable, but cute. Usually I only give fives to books that I continue to think about for a couple days. I suppose I've been a little busy trying to read all of the other Haggerty books to be able to think about most of them. It was very well written, but when taking into consideration the title, it's fairly obvious(at least it was to me,) who was guilty. The only problem is, and I don't know if this will be solved in a later book, but there are two men who are constantly talking near th ...more
Lisa
Oct 10, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
This third entry in the Haggerty series is better than the second (Until Proven Guilty) and still not as good as the first (Hearts in Hiding). Above Suspicion is not set in Haggerty, although characters from Haggerty appear in the story. The plot unfolds well (albeit with the--to me unnecessary--"heroine in life-threatening peril" scene at the end, which somehow seems to be a requirement for the romance/suspense genre but almost always adds an air of unreality to the climax)and I liked the chara ...more
Carolyn
May 08, 2016 Carolyn rated it liked it
This genre is very predictable but it is a fun quick read.
Natasha
May 10, 2010 Natasha rated it it was ok
Okay, here goes. It was hard for me to get going in the beginning, but the end was a bit better.

The mormon subculture is included without being too trite or forced, but had to roll my eyes on a few pages.

My problems: the main characters are how old? They couldn't be more than twenty-five, but they act and talk like 40-year-olds. Plus, there was a parade of characters with contrived reasons to show up at convenient times in the book. And everything is way too tidy, convenient and fairy-tale end
Sherrill
May 29, 2011 Sherrill rated it it was ok
This was a nice little mystery story written by a Mormon author so people were either members of the church or about to be. I liked that the end was a surprise to me. Usually I have the thing all figured out well before the climax but this one was sort of unexpected. It is an OK little story when you are out of anything to read.
Michelle
Jan 19, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok
I didn't realize this was an LDS book until I started reading it. LDS fiction really isn't my cup of tea. I don't like reading a good mystery and then have random things like missions or scriptures mentioned. It just seems out of place. The story line was ok and If you like LDS fiction then you would enjoy this book.
Aimee
May 31, 2008 Aimee rated it really liked it
I have read all of Betsy Brannon Green books. I really enjoy her books. What I like about them is that she combines a little romance with Suspense/Mystery. And when I say romance....I don't mean any detailed stuff. She is an LDS author and I think she is a GREAT writer.
Nicolle
Aug 08, 2008 Nicolle rated it liked it
My favorite genre is mystery and if you are looking for a good clean mystery, these books are for you. The books have a running LDS theme in them. Sometimes predictable writing, but you can't have it all. Overall I have not been disappointed with these books.
Christina
Fun book with a good balance of mystery and romance. My only complaint would be that the right people and circumstances came together a little too conveniently. However, it was fun and I'll continue to read them as they come out.
Rebecca
Aug 08, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok
This book was o.k. It was a fast read, but I didn't fall in love with the main couple in the book. It was a murder mystery and I enjoyed that, but I new all the answers way before the end of the book. I was happy to see it over.
Susanne
Jul 28, 2009 Susanne rated it did not like it
This story was SO slow. After reading the first two books in this series I expected a lot more. I only got half-way through the book before I had to just stop wasting my time and stop reading it.
Michelle
May 26, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
Cute and fun, but it felt a little fake. The main character, Mary Grace, didn't develop or grow or learn. Things just happened to her. The first two books in this series were way better.
Marilee
May 22, 2008 Marilee rated it really liked it
Some of the characters from Hearts in Hiding are in this book so I would recommend reading that one before this. It is a little predictable, so not my favorite, but still a must read.
Erin
Sep 06, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Cheesy but that's okay because I like cheesy. A really fun twist though. The author does a great job at connecting different characters and events at the climax of the book.
Andrea
Oct 18, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it
I was happy this held my interest more than "Double Cross". It was fun having some of the same characters. The story was good, although most of the mystery was easy to guess.
Johanna
Feb 27, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it
Same as the others! Liked it....well got to chaper 12 and haven't finished because I left the book on the airplane and the library only has a sound recording! HA
Brenda
Sep 30, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Book on CD. I am torn with this novel. It was a pretty good mystery, but I found that I rolled my eyes and groaned at many points. Overall it was a clean, fast read.
Linda
Apr 19, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
This is just an enjoyable read - or in my case listen. It has some romance, some mystery and the enjoyable Southern ladies that Betsy puts in her books.
Gayle
Jul 21, 2011 Gayle rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Another book in the Haggery Mystery series, which is LDS mystery/suspense/romance. I thought this one had some pretty good twists in the story at the end.
Laurie D'ghent
Jan 21, 2013 Laurie D'ghent rated it liked it
Just okay for me. The author did a good job helping the reader keep the numerous characters straight, which is difficult, and it had an interesting plotline.
Christy
Jun 15, 2009 Christy rated it liked it
Once again, an okay and fast read book for me. I admit that I enjoyed the ending, it is somewhat predictable though. Good book for the airplane.
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Code Red
  • Blind Side
  • Rubies and Rebels
  • Echoes
"WELCOME!!!!!

If you're not familiar with my books, I write mystery-suspense novels. I am LDS (Mormon) and so are some of my characters, but I have loyal readers from many different faiths. My goal is to engage the reader in my books. I want to make them laugh and cry and worry and dread the end.

Most of my books are set in the fictional town of Haggerty, Georgia - which is loosely based on my grand
More about Betsy Brannon Green...

Haggerty Mystery (8 books)
  • Hearts in Hiding (Haggerty Mystery, #1)
  • Until Proven Guilty (Haggerty Mystery, #2)
  • Silenced (Haggerty Mystery, #4)
  • Copycat (Haggerty Mystery, #5)
  • Poison (Haggerty Mystery, #6)
  • Double Cross (Haggerty Mystery, #7)
  • Backtrack (Haggerty Mystery, #8)