Return to Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales #6)

Return to Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales #6)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  3,730 ratings  ·  346 reviews
Beloved New York Times bestselling author Dorothea Benton Frank returns to the enchanted landscape of South Carolina's Lowcountry to tell the story of the next generation of Hamiltons and Hayeses.

Newly graduated from college, Beth Hayes must put all her grand ambitions on hold when the family elders elect her to house-sit the Island Gamble, ghosts and all. Instead of conqu...more
Published April 27th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Sullivan's Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Sullivan's Island

Annie

I am ashamed to even add this book to my list of books read. It is quite possibly one of the most poorly written books that I have ever completed. The dialog was ridiculous, the shifts in perspective was jarring and disruptive, the storyline was a hodgepodge with a rushed ending that felt contrived. The main character was annoying at best.

I don't understand how an editor could allow this book to be published. I am so glad I didn't spend a dime on this book and checked it out from the library (w...more
Kristan
I absolutely adored the first 4 or 5 Dorothea Benton Frank novels. Couldn't get enough of them. One of the things I really enjoyed was how characters from previous books would sort of drop in later books. It was nice to see them again and get another character's take on them. I was so disappointed when she stopped doing that.

I saw Return to Sullivan's Island and felt that I just HAD to read it, that it would be like seeing old friends again. Um, no. It wasn't. I read a little over half of it and...more
Jessica
Wow. This was pretty bad. The main character is an idiot. The supporting characters (and there are too many, esp since NONE of them have a storyline) are one-dimensional and hard to keep straight.

The worst part for me, though, was that this author probably writes for and appeals to women over 50 (which is fine), but this book is about a 23 yr old - and NONE of the dialogue was fit for a 23 yr old. The CONSTANT admonishments about not swearing and being lady-like and all that "Southern" crap were...more
Misfit
Sep 08, 2010 Misfit rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Misfit by: Amazon Vine
Cheryl
Ugh. I have always been somewhat of a fan of Frank's - - - while I don't believe she ranks up there with Anne River Siddons or Pat Conroy, I DO have a great love for the lowcountry of South Carolina, and that's where she sets most of her novels. So up until this novel, I've always found them to be pleasant beach reads that carry me back to one of the places I love best in the world. This book, however, just turned me off. The main character, Beth, was so painfully immature that I truly doubted t...more
Erin
I'd rather eat the pages of this book than finish it. I truly adore Frank's writing, thus I was excited to get lost in her South Carolinian charm. Unfortunately, this is not her best work.

The love story (Beth's) is rushed and there is no development process. One minute she meets a guy and then all of the sudden he's her moon and stars. As a woman the same age as Beth, I understand the awkwardness of finding one's footing in adulthood and love, but Frank writes her main character with the maturi...more
Vivian
Blah, blah, blah. I thought that I would bang my head against the wall by the time I reached page 20. I love Dorothea Benton Frank, but this book was awful. Boring and idiotic main character, haunted house, ghosts and foolish choices. None of it interesting. A major disappointment. What happened? I hope that she recovers with her next book. Not recommended.
bookczuk
Started it -- couldn't stomach it. Abandoned before I reached page 50. May try again sometime. Sorry Dot. Won't be the first time I come back to a novel and like it better the second go-round.
Matt
To say the least this book was a disappointment compared to the previous Sullivan's Island. Dorothy Benton Frank stretched herself to even get a story out of this book. On the positive side the same characters that we loved in the previous book were present minus Livve. What I missed most was the character development. I never really got into Beth's character, she was not believeable and as many critics describe she was immature and childish. I agree with that but we were all childish at that ag...more
Anna
This book was definitely the worst one of Dorothea Frank's I've read. Many of the characters from the first Sullivan's Island that return in this one seem to have different personalities, in many cases less likable. Beth returns as an extremely immature 23-year-old and makes some of the most ridiculously ignorant decisions I can imagine. For someone who seemed so dead-set against marriage at the beginning of the book, she sure fell head-over-heels for a clearly insensitive & highly suspiciou...more
Jill
Michael P.
Aug 10, 2012 Michael P. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a good summer read.
Recommended to Michael by: No one
I loved this book! It is a great summer/beach read! It is full of color about the lowcountry in South Carolina, and describes the pathos that Beth Hayes, a young college grad, who housesits while her mother goes to Paris. While mom is gone, Beth falls madly in love with a man named Max, along with other alias's, who is involved in a Ponzi scheme, and steals Beth's investment monies, along with that of her friend, Woody. Further, Beth went against her mother's wishes, by withdrawing much more mon...more
Janice
If you enjoyed Sullivan's Island, skip Return to Sullivan's Island; it's a disappointment. Where the Sullivan's Island characters are vibrant; Return's characters are lack luster and do not ring true; especially Beth. Rather than being written as a strong, educated, twenty something college grad who could have added to and carried the storyline, she's given the behaviors and mind set of a whiney, spoiled, head in the sand, thirteen year old. Beth's character is unbelieveable. Woody is unbelievea...more
Kaye
Stupid 23-year-old writer who doesn't write constantly whines about not being treated as an adult and having to put life on hold while house sitting the haunted family beach house for a year instead of going to grad school to get the opportunity to become a real writer falls in love with scam artist and loses 100 grand of her trust fund money only to have wealthy aunt die and leave her even more money finally grows up, or at least that's what the author of this awful book would have you believe.
Amie Gaudet
I listened to the unabridged audiobook version of "Return To Sullivan's Island" by Dorothea Benton Frank.

I was unaware when I borrowed this from the library that it was part of a series, however, it works fine as a stand alone book.

Beth Hayes has just graduated from college and has been roped into spending a year housesitting the family home on Sullivan's Island.

At first Beth comes across as a reasonably intelligent young woman and a generally likable character. However, this does not last lo...more
Dakota
I have not read any of Frank's other books, and I was not aware that this was a sequel. My mom gave me this book for something to read on a plane ride, so I didn't have very high expectations.
The plot wasn't anything special but it wasn't horrendous. I enjoyed the relationship the main character, Beth, has with her family members. I liked the depiction of Sullivans Island, it seemed relaxing and peaceful.
However, I agree with many of the other reviewers, the narrative was sort of jumpy. It main...more
Rose Wesselman
On of the few books I couldn't finish. It did not live up to the original Sullivan's Island. Character was not developed and the plat was obvious from the beginning. I have too many books in my "to read" box to waste time on one like this. I love most of her other novels but after 130 pages I had given it as much time to grow on my as I could take.
Jenny
I REALLY wanted to like this book, because I truly enjoyed Sullivan's Island. I have read most all of DBF's books. Unfortunately, this one was so slow in the plot with shallow characters, that I didn't even finish it. This is a work of fiction, but DBF's style is she creates characters like people we know...Sorry, DBF....RtSI is a bomb.
Nancy
This book is just plain bad. If i did not love Charleston and the surrounding Lowcountry, I would have stopped after chapter 1. The black character trying to speak Geechee (sp?) was bad. The ghost element in the book was bad. I think Dorothea Benton Frank wrote this novel too quickly and was trying to make a quick buck.
Gala
I wish I could give a no star rating. Horrible. I don't know when I've encountered a less likable protagonist or more predictable plot lines. I bought the audio book for a long car trip. Had I been reading this, I would have ditched it midway through. As it was, I kept driving and listening.
Jenn
I thought I read the first book in this series but now I'm not sure. I can't really keep up with the family relationships (who belongs with who) and the supernatural mirror/ghosts is a bit much for me. I think I'm moving on to something new..
Jane
Oh my goodness! This is the least satisfying book I've read in a long time. Lots of corny snappy dialogue and a nearly meaningless conflict (girl attracted to two men, one an obvious scumbag). Save your time for something better.
Linda
I can't even finish this book. I'm so sad that this book is so lame, ridiculous and predictable. I always enjoyed Frank's other books. Hopefully this is a fluke, it may be awhile before I try her again!
Kathy
I loved all of DBF's books until this one. I was excited to start this but it was an absolute chore to finish it. I'm sorry to say the only way I can describe it is boring, annoying, and just plain horrible.
Shayne
I have enjoyed all of her books, except this one. I stopped reading it, could not get into the story. It was slow and did not hold my attention.The main character was not intriguing. I wish it had been better.
Jan
I have enjoyed other books by this author, but this was just unreadable to me. The dialogue was so stilted and the characters weren't likeable at all. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
MajorBedhead
This book was so poorly written and had such a lousy plot that if I hadn't recieved the book for free, I would have sent back to the publisher for a refund.
Robin
I loved "Sullivan's Island" so when I saw this sequel I grabbed it, expecting another breezy southern beach read. Nope. This was pretty awful.
Camille Wilson
Terrible and juvenile. Not for the mature reader which means anyone over 12 years old in this case. Sorry but it was awful!
Darlene Eisel
I generally love books about south and Sullivan's Island and Charleston. But this one just didn't do it for me.
  • Last Light Over Carolina
  • Islands
  • On Folly Beach
  • Little Bitty Lies
  • Making Waves
  • Driftwood Summer
  • Beach Trip
Dorothea Benton Frank is the New York Times best selling author of ten novels.

Dottie has appeared on NBC's Today Show, Parker Ladd's Book Talk and many local network affiliated television stations. She is a frequent speaker on creative writing and the creative process for students of all ages and in private venues as the National Arts Club, the Junior League of New York, Friends of the Library org...more
More about Dorothea Benton Frank...
Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales #1) Plantation (Lowcountry Tales #2) The Last Original Wife Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales #3) Shem Creek (Lowcountry Tales #4)

“DOROTHEA BENTON FRANK Bulls Island The Christmas Pearl The Land of Mango Sunsets Full of Grace Pawleys Island Shem Creek Isle of Palms Plantation Sullivans Island” 0 likes