Start by marking “Havana Heat” as Want to Read:
Havana Heat

Havana Heat

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The long-awaited new novel from the author of If I Never Get Back-"poignant and humorous, Havana Heat moves with the crispness of a perfectly turned double play." (The Cincinnati Post)

The author of If I Never Get Back returns with a new novel set in the golden age of baseball. Havana Heat takes readers back to 1911 America, where thirty-six-year-old Luther Taylor, legendar
Audio, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2002 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Havana Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Havana Heat

MacK
At the risk of making a broad, unprovable generalization, I would say that there are two kinds of baseball nerds: one fixates on the numbers, analyzing statistics, records and quantifying good, better and best. The other fixates on the words, the language, the stories and the histories qualifying excellence through anecdotes and legacies. I am very much the second kind of nerd, which is why I love baseball literature of all genres, lengths and reputations.

Darryl Brock is clearly a nerd like me.
Swanbender2001
narrated by Tom Parker 9 hours 8 minutes A rewarding slice of baseball and American history from the author of If I Never Get Back.
Shea and I enjoyed listening to the audio version of this book.
Dummy Taylor was a good man at war with himself and the choices he made and these are good lessons for a growing boy to experience through the eyes and ears of fiction and the sport he loves. This story also touched on the racism in Cuba and the States and the fact that the deaf Cuban boy was a phenomenal
Kevin Bachovchin
Interesting book about the early days of baseball.
David
Aug 30, 2008 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves baseball fiction
Yet another terrific baseball novel by Darryl Brock. An historical novel that captures the look and feel of baseball in the early part of the twentieth century, and has the added wrinkle of involving Cuba and a main character who does not hear or speak. Currently out of print, regrettably.
Chris Burland
Very good slice of life weaving real people with fictious and fictional story. Darryl Brock does a great job weaving a story of love, hope and sadness in the complex world of baseball.
Jorge
A great Summer novel for baseball fans. Well written and exciting. Gives you a glimpse of Major League baseball and Cuba in the early 1900's.
Paige
I know nothing about the Cuban culture and this was really interesting, as well as fun.
Ed
Aug 12, 2009 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: baseball fans
This is a fictionalized story of Dummy Taylor, a deaf pitcher from the early 1900's who pitched for the New York Giants. The characters are, for the most part, actual players and personalities from that era. Taylor is trying to make a comeback with the Giants after arm troubles forced him out of the game. He gains a spot on the traveling team that goes to Cuba for an exhibition series, leaving his frustrated wife behind, and finds more than just a little adventure on and off the field.
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Tara Chevrestt
Tara Chevrestt marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Joe Leotta
Joe Leotta marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Moriah Park
Moriah Park marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Andrea Orlick
Andrea Orlick marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Ed Quigley
Ed Quigley marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Don Myers
Don Myers marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
If I Never Get Back Two in the Field If I Never Get Back: A Novel If I Never Get Back The Sun Field