Start by marking “Spellcrash (Webmage, #5)” as Want to Read:
Spellcrash (Webmage, #5)

Spellcrash (Webmage #5)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  734 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Ravirn is the best hacker around. But when the system controlling the multiverse needs a massive reboot, Ravirn must utilize all of his skills as a mage and prevent complete chaos-even if it costs him his life.

Published May 25th 2010 by Ace (first published May 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spellcrash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spellcrash

Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
182nd out of 535 books — 868 voters
The Greyfriar by Clay GriffithThe Alloy of Law by Brandon SandersonMistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Kingmakers by Clay GriffithThe Rift Walker by Clay Griffith
Chris McGrath Book Covers
102nd out of 121 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Chichipio
Pretty good closure for this part of the story. It leaves Ravirn and Mel with an almost clean slate to begin messing around in other places.

An excellent thing about these books is that Kelly never uses Ravirn (or Mel) to move the plot along. Things happen in spite—rather than because—of Ravirn's best intentions, quick thinking and appropriate action. In other series, you find out what's happening immediately and have to suffer page after page watching the character with all the clues in front of
Cathy
Just terrific, smart, funny sci-fi/fantasy adventure. The characters don't always do as expected, make mistakes, and have a lot of heart. The way the author makes his crazy combo of hacker technology concepts and traditional mythology tales come together is always creative and interesting, very clever. The traditional pull between chaos and order in the stories adds another level of thoughtfulness. And Ravirn's heritage through the lines of Fate and Slapstick keep the laughs coming.

All that bei
Tara Day
Alex
Oct 03, 2013 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alex by: Eric Shelton
Shelves: reviewed-books
"SpellCrash" is a fantasy and a little juvenile but I liked it. It is the 4th book in a series beginning with "Webmage".

In this series, a college student named Ravirn is a minor member of the Greek Pantheon of gods, a distant grandchild of Lachesis, a goddess of Fate who measures out one's life thread. Ravirn can't seem to fit in. He is a hacker who can build magic spells like he can write computer code.

You will note on the cover that he carries a Smith and Wesson 1911 but the gun does not fig
Lori
So we're back to three stars, and I feel three stars overall for the series. This is the end of the WebMage series, and while it does cover most of its bases, there are a few leftover tidbits not covered. What about Raviren's cousin Daren's soul? What about that e-mail sent to Hades's personal account that Raven copied yet never read? Who's the young man leaping into the river in Hades? How will Mel survive in the Norse-based lands (since he didn't get a snakebite)? Why the discrepancies between ...more
Anne
Another very enjoyable, complex and growth filled book in the series. It is rare for an author to truly build an arc throughout a series, but McCullough accomplishes it with grace and agility. There were organic but still unexpected twists to this story that makes it a worthy read. I think this book had a perfect ending that still leaves room for further exploration. Ravirn is a character who grows in ways that few characters accomplish and yet retains that quality that makes him entertaining an ...more
Ju Transcendancing
The Necessity doom has finally landed, squarely at Ravirn's feet, it all looks kind of horrific from his point of view. But he and companions handle things with the usual amount of dedication and wry humour. Ravirn's self awareness reaches a pinacle here that always breaks my heart a little, and makes me laugh too. Everything ties of neatly for this story arc, though not without significant cost to the characters that we know and love by now. The ending to Ravirn's story is epic, and well worth ...more
Doris
This wrap up for the Webmage series was a good finish, but in a way felt like a let down. It was more on the personalities than the earlier books, but also more about the geekiness. It almost felt as though the author was trying to show that she really did know a lot about computer internals.

Overall a good finish but not a good recommendation for the author or the series.
Daniel
I've really been enjoying this series. They kind of vaguely remind me of the Amber novels in its meta reality story telling focusing on family politics among powerful supernatural beings.

Spellcrash draws the first part of this series down to a well done conclusion but still leaves room open for future stories. I'm looking forward to seeing where The Raven goes from here.

Tankerbay
Quite a nice conclusion to the series, actually. I was impressed at how neatly many things tied together at the end, and Raven actually has several positive things happen to him without the shaft showing up. It's obvious the bible for all 5 books was well thought out prior to.. well, at least the 3rd book. Nicely done.
Roberta
Ravirn aka the Raven has to use his spell coding hacker abilities to save Necessity the fate of the Gods, but he has to go up against all the powers to do it.

Another good outing by McCullough in the cyberfantasy he's crafted with equal parts Greek myth and cyberpunk.
T.W. Fendley
Another fun romp through McCullough's techno-magic cyberworld that blends mostly Greek mythology and IT. Lots of familiar characters taking on different roles. Enjoyed it! Makes me want to go back and read the Norse adventure that I apparently skipped (Mythos?).
Shanshad Whelan
Quite enjoyable, even after five books. Will admit to being slightly irritated by repetitive phrases and explanations on occasion, but overall a great, light weight fun read in the fantasy multiverse that McCullough has created.
Wayne
Ah, this was a great book. I would find this a satisfying end to the Ravirn books. I hope this isn't the case, and that McCullough writes piles more about the surviving characters of this book.
Music_lover3
DNF. Well, I sort of skimmed it. I don't know if my tastes have just changed since I started this series or what, but both this one and the one before was just okay.
Kendall
This is a great (I assume) ending to the series. What a great twist at the end to bring a resolution to the entire series. I definitely recommend this series.
Jeff Smith
Very good. The end of an excellent series. I am kinda sad. Look forward to more work from Kelly McCullough though.
Peter Millane
What an amazing end for this series with a twist I didn't anticipate.

I'm kind of sad to leave this world now..
Patrick
This series is a guilty pleasure for me. Fun and quick to read.
Lisa
Wonderful wrap up to the five book metaplot.
Nicole
Perfect ending to the story.
Scott Medaugh
good read
Bart Richards
Bart Richards marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • Honeyed Words (Sarah Beauhall #2)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • All That Lives Must Die (Mortal Coils, #2)
  • Crossed (Void City, #3)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • Through This House (October Daye, #4.5)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Blackout (Cal Leandros #6)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • Nylon Angel (Parrish Plessis, #1)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Pathfinder (Major Ariane Kedros, #3)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Pandora Gets Heart (Mythic Misadventures #4)
  • The Domino Pattern (Quadrail, #4)
  • Norse Code
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)
Kelly McCullough was raised and educated by free-range hippies. Later he received a degree in theater and worked in improv. That combination was the perfect preparation for his current career as author and cat herder. He lives and writes in the Midwest with his physics-professor wife, Laura. He enjoys hiking and biking and his role as self-heating cat furniture. He is the author of the WebMage and ...more
More about Kelly McCullough...
WebMage (Webmage, #1) Broken Blade (Fallen Blade, #1) Cybermancy (Webmage, #2) Codespell (Webmage, #3) MythOS (Webmage, #4)