Start by marking “Lawn to Lawn” as Want to Read:
Lawn to Lawn

Lawn to Lawn

2.87 of 5 stars 2.87  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Not everyone loves lawn ornaments. But Pearl was different. Pearl was their friend—the only human who knew they were real.

So when Pearl’s family moves and (shockingly!) leaves their pink flamingo, deer, gnome, and lawn jockey behind, Flo, Betty, Norm, and Jack know what they must do. They must find Pearl no matter how long and perilous the journey.

Through cities and suburb...more
Published January 12th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lawn to Lawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lawn to Lawn

Allison
So I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. I like the idea (lawn ornaments set off in search of their owner, who has moved), and I like the art (I like Yaccarino's kitschy style, though I like his Costeau biography style best), but the plot was totally rambly. For one thing, it's never entirely clear which lawn ornament has which name. It just... rambled, without a clear buildup of action and with muddled jokes lost in the story -- no good zingy punchlines. Awesome premise, bad execution.
Mar 29, 2011 Jennifer added it
Shelves: kids
The story is sweet if not spectacular, but the very mid-century modern illustrations and design are to die for.
Cecilia
The illustrations are what we have grown to expect from Yaccarino, bright, crisp and beautyful! The story, that of lawn ornaments left behind after their owners' "move-up" from the countryside to "Ritzy Estates" is full of exciting adventures, until they are finaly reunited with young Pearl (who knew they'd come).

Though this adorable picture book does not work well for storytime,it may be enjoyed be independent readers or when shared with a parent.

The telling feels a little bit long and the ac...more
Jennie Lanz
This book is awful. No character introduction, plot holes, inconsistencies. Yuck.
Loren
Why I did NOT like this book (I am a huge Dan Yaccarino fan)so I wanted to like this book! The illustration style is classic Yaccarino but his classic style simplicity is lost in this book. My favorite pages are the endflaps and title page for after that there is way too much going on and it is hard to keep track of the story, characters and narrative. In addition it is often hard to tell which character (Lawn Ornanment) is referred to throghout the story. Although I don't a lawn ornament, I am...more
Clarissa
Cute, as always loved the illustrations.
Carol
The lawn ornaments in Pearl's yard are devastated when the family moves and they are left behind. Only Pearl knows the decorations are real. The pink flamingo, deer, jockey and garden gnome decide to follow a map they found in the driveway until they are reunited with Pearl. Danger lurks around every corner in the form of the garbage truck. Will Pearl and the decorations have a joyous reunion? Or will they suffer a tragic end in the trash heap? Dan Yaccarino's illustrations are perfect for his q...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
I read some of the other reviews of this book because I really wanted to like this one. I agree with some of the other rewiers that while this book has a great story idea, lawn ornaments who get left behind in a move and set out to find their owners.

The story though was just not great. Certainly this book would not be a great read aloud, but I see students liking it if they read it on their own or with a parent (who can help explain some of the more vague moments).
Cassie
I really wanted to love this book. Normally I can find something funny or enjoyable in most any picture book... but alas, I came up empty with Lawn to Lawn. The idea sounded very amusing, yet it simply didn't work. I couldn't understand why Pearl would leave the much loved yard ornaments behind without saying anything to her parents, and the story just didn't flow naturally?!? But who knows, I'm sure some kids in the library will check it out and enjoy it!
Jennifer Haight
Lawn to Lawn is about a group of lawn ornaments that go on a quest to return to their owner, a girl named Pearl who has moved away. I love many books by Dan Yaccarino and conisder The Fantastic Undersea Adventures of Jacques Cousteau one of the best children's picture books in the recent years, but this one just didn't quite materialize. The endpapers of the book are unfortunately, the best part. The story is awkward and clunky and predictible.
Scottsdale Public Library
Lawn ornaments make a come-back in this charming picture book. It tells the story of four lawn ornaments: a flamingo, gnome, horse racing jockey, and deer, who are forgotten and left behind when their owner, a little girl named Pearl, moves to a new home. Determined to find Pearl, the lawn ornaments leave the safety of their lawn, trying to avoid the dreaded trash truck and encountering many other types of statues on the way.

-Kelly M.H.
Dayna
Oh I had such high hopes for this book. We really liked Mr Yaccarino's book on Jacques Cousteau. When I saw his name on the cover along with the vintage style illustrations and a story of lawn ornaments searching for their owner I thought it would be a huge win. I was sadly disappointed. The story was disjointed and lack luster.
Tricia
wow. the concept of the lawn ornaments in search of their former owner could have been amusing...but this book just misses the mark. had to sing the song from Bolt Barking at the Moon (there is no home...)during the travel sequences in order to keep the girls interested.
Usually, I love Dan Yaccarino's books, but this one was huge letdown. There were no transitions from page to page. The storyline was disjointed. A story about lawn ornaments could be very clever but this one was poorly executed.
Matt
Pair with Good Night, Garden Gnome by Jamichael Henterly even though I'm not super excited about either one.
Shanshad Whelan
Cute idea . . . dull and overlong story The pictures are a little too busy and the story just never really comes together. I think I prefer Yaccarino when he sticks to rhyming text.
Jennie
Way too scattered in plot and pictures. Super cool premise, but doesn't deliver.
Natalie
How could you make a book about lawn ornaments that have come to life boring?
The writing is many clicks down from the great illustrations!
April
I love the illustrations the most, especially Norm the Gnome!
The Library Lady
Very little kid appeal. Odd coming from Yaccarino.
Leva
lawn ornaments
Jen
weird.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Exhibitions of his work have been held throughout the world. He is also the creator of the animated TV Series Willa's Wild Life and Oswald.

Mr. Yaccarino lives in New York City with his wife and two children.
More about Dan Yaccarino...
Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree) The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau Doug Unplugged Unlovable Every Friday