Start by marking “The People of the Mist” as Want to Read:
The People of the Mist

Read Book* *Different edition

The People of the Mist

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  2,737 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
The People of the Mist is the tale of a British adventurer seeking wealth in the wilds of Africa, finding romance, and discovering a lost race and its monstrous god.
Published May 17th 2012 by Classic Books Library (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The People of the Mist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People of the Mist

Henry Avila
Jun 08, 2013 Henry Avila rated it really liked it
When two brothers lose their home.Because of the father's unethical behavior.Then he commits suicide.Leonard Outram and his older sibling, Tom.Are left penniless.Both flee to Africa.Vowing to each other.Never to return. Until they regain Outram Hall,in England.But how to restore their family's centuries old, estate, and honor?Leonard leaves the woman he loves.Jane Beach,her father forbids his daughter. From marrying Outram. Who has no income or prospects.Besides, a rich man wants Jane to be his ...more
Sandy
Aug 18, 2011 Sandy rated it really liked it
Sir Henry Rider Haggard, the so-called "Father of the Lost Race Novel," didn't write such stories featuring only Allan Quatermain and Ayesha, She Who Must Be Obeyed. For example, his 17th novel, "The People of the Mist" (1894), is a smashing, wonderfully exciting, stand-alone lost-race tale featuring all-new characters. But the first third of the novel is hardly a lost-race story at all, but rather one of hard-bitten African adventure.

In it, we meet Leonard Outram, a penniless British adventure
Julie Davis
Having become disenchanted with Haggard's classic "She" to the point of quitting halfway through, I embark upon this book having been assured by my oldest daughter, Hannah, that this book is different and worthy of the time. I must say that so far it has been enthralling and I've been devoting my few spare moments to devouring it. It is living up to the description which I share here:
A penniless British adventurer seeks untold wealth in the wilds of the "Dark Continent" after losing his family l
Cheryl
Dec 17, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Abandoning this one. It started off pretty good, but then got bogged down with the romance. It's not for me.
Dagny
Aug 10, 2012 Dagny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the story opens, an ancestral home is for sale. The father has ruined the family with drinking and gambling. The two sons, Tom and Leonard, vow to make a fortune and regain the family home. They go gold-hunting in Africa and when the story picks up seven years later the action is non-stop.
Charles
Aug 09, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Haggard pretty much began the Lost Race novel, or so it is generally said. For that reason I'll give this book a 4. Just for reading, however, I'd have to rate it a 3. Good, but a little slow. Not as much fun as ERB or REH.
Kevin
May 07, 2010 Kevin rated it liked it
A rousing adventure tale in the best traditions of the genre. If this book had been written at a later time I would say the plot was tired and overused. However given the time period of the writing it is easy to see how Sir Henry's works form the basis for the adventures tales of later authors including (as I understand) Robert Howard (of Conan fame) and Edgar Rice Burroughs(Tarzan among others).

The writing was excellent, the plot twists were well done and the dialogue was fun to read as it was
Derek
This is an adventure novel which turns into a heist story through its middle part.

The 'heist' part of it--posing as gods to a lost civilization in order to obtain a heap of the pretty pebbles which Europeans seem to love so much--forms the unexpectedly soggy middle of the narrative. This section feeds on the spectacle of the People of the Mist and their wild, barbaric religious ceremonies. The protagonists, shoehorned into the role of deities, are sequestered and become little more than witnesse
Salman Rasel
Dec 10, 2016 Salman Rasel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
বিষাল একটা ঘোর এর মধযে ছিলাম। ...more
MB Taylor
I finished reading The People of the Mist (1894) by H. Rider Haggard last night (on 6/12/2010). Having enjoyed re-reading Tarzan, I thought I’d go a little bit further back in time and read an African adventure by the author of King Solomon’s Mines (1885) and She (1886). It’s been a while since I read either of those notables, but I think I enjoyed them somewhat more than The People of the Mist.

Of course, She is a classic; according to Wikipedia it’s been in print almost continuously for over a
Debbie
Dec 09, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
The People of the Mist by H. Rider Haggard was a Kindle Freebie that I had downloaded from Amazon. Although written in the antiquated style of the 1800's, it was an exciting tale of romance and adventure.

The book begins with Leonard Outram losing his fortune at the hands of his father and he is turned out penniless to seek his fortune to regain his ancestral home. He travels to Africa with his brother to seek their fortunes together. Soon afterward, he takes "Otter" in his employ, loses his bro
Katherine Holmes
After reading Cleopatra and King Solomon's Mines, I wanted to read another Hagard book. This began in England, where, because of his uncle's financial affairs, Outram loses his family mansion and his intended. He goes to Africa with his brother but when his brother dies, Outram has no gold, only his trusty Zulu dwarf Otter. Otter recognizes a woman from a slave camp that he escaped. She knows where rubies are but she requires that the two help her free her mistress, a white woman, besides any ot ...more
Jessica
Nov 11, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I feel slightly guilty checking this book as "read," because I didn't read it--just listened to it. I'm afraid I've become a bit hooked on audiobooks. Don't misunderstand me--I don't plan to overhaul my reading style, and you can always find me at lunchtime propping open an actual, physical book with my plate while I try not to splash spaghetti sauce on the pages. But when I'm folding laundry, spiffing up the house, or making meals, having an audiobook to fall back on has been so delightful.

I d
Tinnean
Mar 07, 2011 Tinnean rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I'm still working on this. I have a Kindle version, which I was reading while I was at Gulf Coast Medical waiting for my husband to be taken to recovery. There were parts I had to read over again because frankly it was putting me to sleep, but I kept reminding myself this story was at least 100 years old. Also 1. at that time they were more into telling than showing, and this is something else I have to keep in mind. Also 2. they were big into facial hair, which...ewww.

On the plus side, it does
Cindy
May 11, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it
The People of the Mist is an adventure novel written by H. Rider Haggard, the father of the Lost World literature genre. It is not a fast read, but an enjoyable read when you slow your pace down to Haggard's late 1800's style of writing where he allowed characters to fully developed, morality tales abound, and several side stories to be played out. Haggard was amazing in his ability to create his lost world with intense imagination and flawless detail. This book includes all love types....of cou ...more
Moe
Mar 31, 2009 Moe rated it it was amazing
This is a tale of derring-do, with great villains, damsels in distress, and English adventurers to the rescue. If I had to compare it to a story I've read I would go with the Count of Monte Cristo.

The hero is obsessive and unscrupulous in his pursuit of treasure, even to the point of risking the lives of those he loves to obtain it, but is otherwise courageous and valiant. His companion, Otter, is a dwarf-servant and my favorite character in the book.

The story has two main thrusts and both are
Derek Davis
Jun 22, 2011 Derek Davis rated it really liked it
I'd imagine a lot of people have downgraded this novel for its antediluvian approach to race and class. Well, that's just the way those things were done in those days (late 19th century, turn of the 20th). You'll seldom find much else, especially in African adventure tale.

On the positive side, "Mist" has a lot stronger sense of plot than "She" and a better and more nuanced cast of characters. Otter, the black dwarf, is a marvelous creation on every level. Yes, he's deep in the "wog" tradition,
Tim Standafer
Jan 14, 2013 Tim Standafer rated it it was amazing
Didn't want it to end.
Oct 15, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2010
Pure classic. I love the "lost race" tales so this filled in my attention for a lots of time while on the subway on the way to school or home. It is a very good book.
Philip
Jun 28, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story; I really enjoyed it and am definitely going to read more books by H. Rider Haggard, assuming that they will similarly be as good.

The beginning starts out slowly, introducing background and characters in a easy-to-follow way and leading into the main premise of the plot. Unlike some stories with slow starts, I really never had a problem staying interested, though, and never thought that there was too much exposition used for framing; it was just showing the background and s
CynthyB
May 26, 2017 CynthyB rated it really liked it
This is an edge-of-your-seat nail-biter all the way! There were moments when I had to set the book down and walk away because of the anxiety I felt over what would happen next. I gave it four stars, not because it wasn't masterfully written (as Haggard is one of the beast storytellers I've ever read), but because I found the continuous stream of heart-wrenching difficulties too dark and unbelievably nerve-wracking for my taste.
One of the things I love about Haggard's books is that he weaves thes
David Brown
Jul 22, 2012 David Brown rated it really liked it
Of H. Rider Haggard’s novels I had only previously read King Solomon’s Mines (1885) so was happy to try another of his works. I was most intrigued by The People of the Mist, which promised another of Haggard’s African adventures but would it be as memorable as King Solomon’s Mines?

The novel begins with brothers Leonard and Thomas Outram who lose their home and for poor Leonard the prospect of marrying his beloved Jane Beach. The brothers head for Africa to seek their fortune and buy back their e
Janell Carrasco
Nov 07, 2016 Janell Carrasco rated it really liked it
It's so much fun!
Trounin
Край зулусов — таинственная страна. Измыслить о её прошлом можно разное. Хаггард посчитал нужным добавить к неисчислимому количеству тамошним племён ещё одно — жадных до крови Людей тумана. Авторская фантазия требовала открытия доселе неизвестных уголков планеты. Пускай в сознании Хаггарда перемешались континенты. Примитивные африканские народности ничем у него не отличаются от развитых народов Южной Америки. Всё происходит однотипно и по единому сценарию. Снова бедные европейцы, богатые туземцы ...more
Jared
Dec 30, 2011 Jared rated it liked it
Shelves: worth-a-look
"King Solomon's Mines" was a childhood favorite of mine, an all-out action/adventure spectacular that I enjoyed unreservedly long before I had an awareness of postcolonial or feminist theories. No doubt about it, H. Rider Haggard and his virtuous (and fictional) white supermen are a firm product of their time. Awareness of historical context is important, but I'm not one to get hung up on the shortcomings of previous generations. Every era has its blind spots, but good writing is good writing, a ...more
Laura Moyer
Mar 10, 2017 Laura Moyer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I get why the adventure appealed at the time this book was written, but the racism is gross. I strongly suspect H. Rider Haggard was an asshole.
Lee Broderick
It's been a long time since I read any of H. Rider Haggard's books, not least because I had long been of the informed opinion that there were no others worth reading. So how true is that?

Well, it's difficult to make comparisons over such a large gap, but a few things did strike me as I read this. Firstly, Leonard Outram is not the usual Haggard romantic lead: he is made to carry all of the burden in the plot, playing the wise old-head as well as the dashing adventurer. Roles Haggard had kept str
Scot
Nov 11, 2010 Scot rated it liked it
Almost ten years after he published King Solomon's Mines, which created the heroic prototype for the Indiana Jones character and adventure format, Haggard wrote this book, in 1894, which is the first of the "Great Lost Lands" type novels (think of Gilman's Herland or the old TV show Land of the Lost as exemplars of this subgenre).

In such stories, European heroes and heroines discover exotic hidden empires--usually in darkest Africa--and with the aid of sympathetic native characters (such as the
Lisa (Harmonybites)
When I was a teenager a novel by Haggard called Wisdom's Daughter caught my eye. I loved that historical fantasy set in Ancient Egypt and bought up every Haggard book I could find, one book short of a dozen. It's decades later, they were still on my shelves, and I found I could vividly remember all but two--Heart of the World and People of the Mist. That puts People of the Mist at the bottom of the pile for me--although for what it's worth, I did like this more than Heart of the World.

Haggard's
Peter Heinrich
May 22, 2013 Peter Heinrich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Knock off one more classic Victorian adventure novel—I'm on a roll. I blame Treasure Island for getting me started on this path, but sadly, none of its contemporaries has matched it for writing quality or entertainment value. Haggard aficionados may balk at this, and wonder if I read about the same misty people they did. "It's wall-to-wall adventure (and well-written); it defines 'entertaining.'"

Ok, they're not wrong. I just liked Treasure Island better. For whatever reason, this book didn't do
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • The Monastery
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • The Underground City
  • The Abandoned Room
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...