Start by marking “Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty” as Want to Read:
Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty

Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  592 ratings  ·  65 reviews
An uproarious, eye-opening history of Europe's notorious royal houses that leaves no throne unturned and will make you glad you live in a democracy.

Do you want to know which queen has the unique distinction of being the only known royal kleptomaniac? Or which empress kept her dirty underwear under lock and key? Or which czar, upon discovering his wife's infidelity, had her
Published May 29th 2001 by Broadway Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Royal Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Royal Babylon

Watership Down by Richard AdamsDune by Frank HerbertPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
In a Brown Mood
416th out of 451 books — 53 voters
Somewhere to Dream by Genevieve GrahamUnder the Same Sky by Genevieve GrahamSound of the Heart by Genevieve GrahamDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
best historical fiction in my opinion 2
90th out of 123 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynne-marie
I went into this hoping for some good factual evicence about the aristocracy, but found only a foaming of the mouth and as much history as the average reader of European history would gather in miscellaneous readings. That the author has a grudge is so obvious it's beyond painful -- it makes the book one to miss
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
I started reading this book thinking it would be an entertaining retelling of the shocking conduct of the royals.

Instead what I got was a tirade against monarchy,thinly veiled as absolute fact.

I can only assume that this author doesnt believe his readers know anything of history,since he continues spewing out hateful commentds

The author also makes several fact errors,for example in one instance confusing a mother and daughter and in another stating a rumor as fact.The list could go on...

And befo
Isa Lavinia
Disturbingly disrespectful and ignorant about mental illness, its myriad documented causes, and its sufferers.
I was expecting salacious rumours and funny factoids, not the mocking of those with diagnosed illnesses (like porphyria) and their dismissal as "mad" but amusing.

Not even bothering to mention all the factual errors about several royals.
Susan
Got syphilis? Maybe a little touch of gonorrhea? No problem, you're a king!

Having an adulterous affair are you? Well, if you're the king it's o.k., but if you're just the lowly queen, it's grounds for divorce. Or maybe we'll just ship you off to a convent or an asylum.

Whats that you say? Oh, you're just insane - no biggie, you're still of noble birth.

Um, what do you mean you're a commoner!? Well that, we simply cannot abide!

After all, we must draw the line somewhere...

Therein lies the tone of
Mary Overton
The Onion version of European royalty, except that the stories are true. History can be morbidly fun. Reading this is like watching a gruesome accident -- you are horrified but can't look away.
Some highlights, from a book that is all highlights:
Frederick William I of Prussia (b1688-d1740) whose hobby was collecting tall men for his Potsdam Giant Guards. "The recruits were press-ganged from his own country, or were bought or kidnapped from all over the world. The Prussian King was prepared to sp
Jenn
Again with the lack of footnotes! If this book is to be believed, there hasn't been a sober or sane monarch in all of Europe since the Tudors. However, it's an incredibly interesting read.
Pepca
Read it in translation - many factual and grammar errors. It is interesting, sometimes funny, but also sometimes disrespectful. I couldn't love it, but also couldn't put it down.
Liana
This has entirely changed the concept of "someday my prince will come", if he does come he won't be Disney's clean cut Prince Charming, he will be a toothless, hunchbacked, insane mongloid and his future wife will look exactly the same, since they are kissin' cousin's. This is exactly my kind of book!
Mandy
i loved this book. I have read a lot on british royals but i have to say, i was rather disturbed at just how nuts and inbred they really were. basically the inbreeding did not stop til charles married diana. thank god elizabeth II children has finally stopped reproducing with their cousins!
Liz
The concept was great, but the book was poorly edited and hard to follow. It was difficult to keep the monarchs straight. Additionally, the formatting - separate sections within chapters for different events - was not very readable. A continuous narrative would have been more coherent.
Is there such a thing as trashy historical non-fiction? If so, then this fits the bill - short chapters on the infamous (and sometimes disgusting) monarchies of Europe. Sex, drugs, murder, and syphillis ....
Melissa Bates
After the 8th chapter I figured it out: incest, syphilis, and ca-razy people. At first it was entertaining and slightly enlightening but the same formula over and over got dry.
Maxine
I decided to read "Royal Babylon" because of my lifelong interest in royalty, mainly British; but I'm quite well informed on most other European royalty as well.

I expected a generous helping of salacious "factoids" and gossipy hearsay, although the author did supply a rather surprisingly extensive bibliography. What I didn't expect was the mean-spirited attitude of the author, whose style can only be described as snarky.

I'm well aware that many royals throughout history have been far from nobl
Buffy
It was quite interesting to learn about the darker side of these people who affected the lives of so many. When I think of princes, princesses, kings and queens my mind conjures up noble people who are committed to ruling their countries. Obviously, I knew that many of them were corrupt and prone to indulging in their desires, whatever they may be, but I still usually think of them as being very wise. Or at least more intelligent than the average person. As I read this book, it became apparent t ...more
Marie Castellano
This is a unique history book. All the facts are dealt with including all the weird and not-so-wonderful sides of the people involved. Hereditary insanity and mental illness abound in the English, German and Russian royal houses...from long ago and into the present. The book was fascinating, but I had to take little rests between reading....there is so much information. The author has a subtle, dry and wicked sense of humor.
Aug 06, 2007 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the real life of the European Royals throughout the ages, not just the fantasy
Shelves: greatreads
Good stuff. It is quite a long read as it is filled with information and spans generations of the 5 major houses of Europe. At points, without a strong background in European History, it was hard to keep track of who was who, in relation to the modern English Monarchy. But the book is amazingly entertaining and eye-opening. As a coworker said, if they taught this reality in schools, kids would actually be interested and excited about history.

Did you know that almost every royal had a harem of mi
Kayla
I enjoyed this book and thought it was fascinating to see a 'behind the curtain' look at some of the world's most famous royals. I have always enjoyed history and reading about royals. For some reason it has always just fascinated me. The best thing about this book is that you can basically start at any chapter you like - you can skip around, read only a couple sections...it doesn't matter. I really liked that, although I read it from cover to cover.

At parts throughout the book you'll see a 'sn
Whitney
I really enjoyed this book! Its like watching centuries of train wrecks you just can't look away from!
Christina
I'm really looking forward to reading this book; I've been following various monarchies for ages, but I know the European ones best...and naturally, they're cesspools teeming with all kinds of bizarre factoids. :) Which, coincidentally, Shaw is excellent at capturing in quite succinct prose. :)

I'm having an exhausting time with this one, though, for partly the same reason as with Royal Scandals, but this one is a bit more difficult because Shaw doesn't supply all the helpful charts & stuff.
Kathy
There were a lot of crazy facts in this book, but not having a good historical knowledge really kept me from enjoying this book fully. Also, the way that it is organized is hard to follow. The author jumps around sometimes. Other times he just assumes you know certain things that probably not many Americans know. There should probably be a special edition that is published in the us with a glossary or appendix to give details of how royalty works and give some historical background. I ended up l ...more
Erin
Alternately amusing and tragic. The information was interesting but the way it was presented could be a little off putting, tending to treat mental illness as a joke.
Traci
This was entertaining for the most part... I knew a lot of the little tidbits already and they made me chuckle. Towards the end, however, I found myself less willing to read the book because it felt repetitive. I started to skim through sections because I was sick of reading about Kings having dozens of affairs and raping women like it was a rite of passage (while on the flip-side if the wife had an affair she was divorced and sent packing... it only seems fair). Jerks.
Nicole Yovanoff
This book amused me to no end. the storied were funny, disturbing and at times sad. Everyone who reads history, need to read some books like this that give you a fuller picture as to the movers of shakers of the times. Their quirks and personal lives are more influential than people realize and I wish there were more books that had a balanced approach to history. this is not balanced, but gives insight into aspects of lives never really talked about.
Miriam
This book read pretty quickly, but it did get redundant after a while. It was interesting but repetitive after a while, and the lack of footnotes made it hard for me to take his claims seriously. The organization was also a little disjointed. It did make me want to read an actual history book about some of these people, so that made it worthwhile. I would probably give it 2 1/2 starts if that were an option, but it is not one I will be rereading.
Meaghan
Nov 19, 2007 Meaghan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: royalty buffs
This is not meant to be an in-depth look at the entire lives of European royals, only at their flaws -- and they had a lot of them. This book was well-researched and deeply absorbing, and in addition to covering the usual suspects in France and England, it went into detail about the more obscure German and Italian royals. It's full of titillating tales that would make for good, if slightly disgusting, cocktail party conversation. I recommend!
Jeanne
This is one of the broadest accounts of European (and some others) royalty throught the ages, which is nice because most focus exclusively on Britain. I love the history here but I found the content to be a bit disorganized and repetitive. Still, if you are interested in the effects of inbreeding, the Royal line and how they're all related to each other to this day or just interested in European royal history, I recommend this book.
It was quite interesting overall, but the author bounced around a lot from monarch to monarch and not in any particular order. I think I would have liked it better if Karl Shaw had been more affectionate instead of contemptuous about his 'subjects' and if he'd maybe put it in a different order that was more orderly. Also, considering Queen Vic is on the cover, she is barely mentioned which I thought was a bit odd.
Grace C
Do you know that those European kings and queens contracted syphillis on regular basis (eew..), didn't look after their teeth (and it went blackened before falling down, yes, falling down), almost never bathed, stingy, and... oh, you'll know more after reading this. Such a guilty pleasure if you want to know more of the 'other side' of history that's never get written in historical fiction or text books.
Kirsti
Very entertaining book I bought while on vacation. I knew that many royals were crazy, partly from centuries of inbreeding. But I didn't know how very many of them were crazy, nor did I appreciate how surpassingly crazy they were. My only complaint about this book is that it is so rapid-fire that I sometimes lost track of what country, family, or generation I was reading about.
Jodi
This book is pretty funny - the author is working with some great material but he also lets his dry humour shine. I knew of quite a few of these stories of royal debauchery but there were many shocking and hysterical tales that were totally new. The history of insanity and inbreeding that makes it's way directly to the current English monarchy is fascinating.
  • Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire
  • A Treasury of Royal Scandals: The Shocking True Stories of History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors
  • Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)
  • Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
  • Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics
  • The Courtiers: Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace
  • Mad Kings & Queens
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • Sovereign Ladies: The Six Reigning Queens of England
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 2: Joan of Arc, the Princes in the Tower, Bloody Mary, Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton & More
  • Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France
  • The Serpent and the Moon: Two Rivals for the Love of a Renaissance King
  • She Wolves: The Notorious Queens of Medieval England
  • Athenais: The Life of Louis XIV's Mistress, the Real Queen  Of France
  • Queen Victoria
5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists 10 Ways to Recycle a Corpse: and 100 More Dreadfully Distasteful Lists The Mammoth Book of Oddballs and Eccentrics The Little Book Of Bad Taste The Mammoth Book of Tasteless Lists