Start by marking “The City of Towers (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #1)” as Want to Read:
The City of Towers (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #1)

The City of Towers (The Dreaming Dark #1)

The City of Towers launches a brand new novel line set in the world of Eberron, Wizards of the Coast's newest D&D(R) campaign setting.
Author Keith Baker's proposal for the exciting world of Eberron was chosen from 11,000 submissions, and he is the co-author of the Eberron Campaign Setting, the RPG product that launched the setting. The Eberron world will continue to
Published February 1st 2005 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The City of Towers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City of Towers

Walter Moore
Sep 20, 2008 Walter Moore rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hardcore D&D fiction fans only
Keith Baker is really amazing at building worlds - the Eberron cosmology has rare depth and complexity. I greatly enjoyed the exposition - clunky or not - and the glimpses of a wide and living world behind the story.

Sadly, these shine through like a diamond in the rough. The actual story is a mess of wandering sub-plots, afflicted by the the telltale maladies of a "D&D campaign as book."

Each of the four protagonists (which I found myself referring to as the "player characters") is saddled wi
Josh
Jan 18, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it
This book definitely came as a pleasant surprise. Being new to the world of Eberron, I was delighted to discover a world setting for which I had been searching for a long time, one that combines fantasy and sci fi in such a way that opens up huge possibilities for storytelling and worldbuilding. And the setting for this particular tale is even more enthralling - a massive vertical city built upon impossibly tall towers, each housing its own kind of culture from the tops to the depths.

But all th
Richard Reinhar
Jul 10, 2016 Richard Reinhar rated it it was amazing
Keith Baker's new world Eberron is introduced to me in this book. I found the world very closely matches Forgotten Realms series which is under the same publisher. The book which is the first in a trilogy is very action packed, full of mystery and flows very well. In a land of lost a group of four tries to find a new meaning in which they feel a part of the world of Eberron. 5 out of 5 stars.
Vince Darcangelo
Jan 17, 2010 Vince Darcangelo rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, fiction

This review originally appeared in the BOULDER WEEKLY

Mr. Baker's neighborhood
He is the mastermind behind the new world of Dungeons and Dragons and author of a new fantasy novel. Keith Baker gives the B-dub's resident geeks an insider's tour of Eberron.

by Vince Darcangelo
- - - - - - - - - - - -

It is said that anything is possible in post-war Sharn, the City of Towers. The survivors of both the Mourning and the fall of the Cyran army are a weary lot—desperat
Steven Wilber
Apr 25, 2011 Steven Wilber rated it liked it
Shelves: eberron
Let me start by saying that while I did not think this novel was anything special, I did enjoy the book and thought it was very good. "The City of Towers" was the first book in the Eberron novel line and served as an introduction to the setting for many readers. As such the author provides the reader with a great deal of information on the world of Eberron, it's inhabitants, and it's history. While this information was interesting and highlights the difference between Eberron and other fantasy ...more
Myles
Jul 26, 2016 Myles rated it liked it
The City of Towers takes place in a land that has just concluded a devastating hundred years war. The main characters are all refugees of a country that was swallowed up in an as-yet-unknown dark magic fallout. Sharn, the titular city, is the metropolis of the only kingdom among the combatants to offer sanctuary to the few survivors. Captain Daine, his friend Jode the halfling healer, the warforged (think sentient robot) Pierce are escorting their comrade Lei back to the city to reunite with her ...more
David
For the first book of a whole new D&D campaign setting, I'd say this book is pretty good. It's not spectacular... just nice. Obviously, being the first book of a new setting, the book attempts to introduce the readers to the world of Eberron. For readers familiar with D&D, certain sections of the book felt like a campaign setting sourcebook. For readers unfamiliar with D&D, it may probably be too much irrelevant details. There's a nice glossary at the end containing history and ...more
Marvin
Jun 30, 2016 Marvin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Surprisingly not bad. Sometimes works a little too hard--and bluntly--at introducing the (new [at the time] D&D) world of Eberron, but it's a cool enough setting. The characters are a bit flat, but they have potential. That's perhaps the upside and downside to the entire book: potential. Baker delivers a good enough story, but he could have delivered a great one. It feels a draft short.

The mystery/investigation at the heart of the story is intriguing, but the characters don't feel entirely a
Conan Tigard
Nov 15, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it liked it
Since this is the first Eberron book ever published, I found myself a little lost at times trying to understand this new world. I had trouble bonding with any of the main characters until about halfway through the book. In my opinion, the second half of the book is much better than the first half. I actually put the book down for about a month after the first 70 pages or so.

When I gave it a second chance, I found myself more immersed in the story then during the previous read. Eberron is not yo
Rich
Sep 07, 2010 Rich rated it it was ok
Hyann
Aug 07, 2011 Hyann rated it really liked it
My first book in the Eberron setting. I read the appendix, very well done. Just enough data to covered the basic.
I really like the way the author introduce the world and all the new things. He didn't make the mistake to put too much information wich I appreciate a lot. The background on each characters flow really well in the story.

You have enough action and intrigue during all not book, not just in the last chapters. Another thing I liked is you have an end to the story, don't have to wait for
Brian Minton
Jun 02, 2014 Brian Minton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: D&D fans, Fantasy fans
A spellbinding adventure, filled with plenty of lore from "Dungeons and Dragons" and their Eberron campaigns. The book about mid-way through picks up steam, filling the reader with intrigue and wanting to know what will happen next. The climax is bittersweet and its Epilogue leaving the reader wondering why they never suspected anything. Wonderful read!
Matthew Perry
Jun 23, 2012 Matthew Perry rated it really liked it
A great beginning to an even greater trilogy. This book is the best of the lot. Real elements of fantasy are woven into the story to give you a sense of just how expansive Eberron really is. The story moves very fast and it's hard to stop turning the pages. The character's backstories are not fully explained in this book but, they are in the latter parts of the series. Great read.
Robert Carlberg
Aug 29, 2013 Robert Carlberg rated it it was amazing
I wish I would have read these books earlier. Eberron is a great world to read about. It is another fantasy, but with its own twist. Love the Warforged. Thought that the idea of these works a lot better in this setting than any others. The dragonmarks are awesome. Be interresting what else I find out while I read this trilogy.
Charles
Feb 04, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a good read and a good beginning to the world of Eberron - I agree with most others that this seems to have a tinge of the Players Guide sprinkled throughout, but, considering that this was written by one of the major sources for Eberron, I would expect no less - moving on to tale #2 and hoping for more story and more character development
Matthew Gill
Aug 11, 2011 Matthew Gill rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, great series. I fond this book really gave me a new and more broader/in-depth view of Eberron. The story itself was very engaging and I really liked the writing style/pace. Can't wait to see more from Keith Baker.
silly fox
Oct 16, 2013 silly fox rated it it was ok
all sarcastic characters all the time. typical fantasy gender roles (read: what even is female person?), but not actually awful. great introduction to Eberron. fun, even! (view spoiler)
Dustin
Aug 11, 2012 Dustin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, tie-in, pulp
It was an enjoyable read. It gives you a good look at some of the Underside of Sharn. The main characters aren't as developed as I would hope, but there is enough to leave me interested in the other books in the series. The monster mystery in the book was fun to read.
Henry
Jan 21, 2009 Henry rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I pick this book because I wanted to know what Eberron was all about. As a gamer, I was intrigue by it. It totally sold me in to the setting. It gives a wonderful glimpse in to this world as the story unfolds.
Jenna
Feb 01, 2010 Jenna rated it really liked it
An adult book (with horribly small print) that I read in preparation for playing D&D in an Eberron game. It reads like a campaign, but that makes sense for this genre. I certainly learned a lot about the world!
James
Jan 04, 2010 James rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Every once in a while I pick it up and try to read a little more, but it just isn't hooking me. I like what I have seen of the setting but the story and characters lack. May give if the next time I pick it up, it doesn't get me.
Andy Stehr
Jun 08, 2013 Andy Stehr rated it liked it
Pretty good. I read it to get some insight into Eberron as a campaign setting. it focused on one city in Eberron, Sharn. I liked that it was clearly a Dungeons and Dragons book.
Thain
Oct 24, 2011 Thain rated it really liked it
This is a well done world which retains a traditional sword and sorcery adventure while delving into areas of mystery and magical technology. A great addition to the field.
Dan
Sep 26, 2007 Dan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Trying to capture the magic of Lord of the Rings and Baldur's Gate in one volume, I make my first (and last) foray into Dungeon's & Dragons-inspired fantasy fiction. What was I thinking?
Bradley
Jul 26, 2010 Bradley rated it really liked it
A good book finally for the Eberron series.. and yes the print is easy to read too. Good fantasy in a city that floats in the sky. I would keep this one.. but sadly it belongs to the library. =)
Christopher Humphries
Oct 13, 2010 Christopher Humphries rated it it was amazing
A good introduction to Eberron. It really put you in the D&D campaign setting and was a good book to read. I'm looking forward to further books by Keith Baker.
Dan
Mar 03, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
A fun read, better than I expected. Suffers from the typical problem with D&D games - too much going on. I'm reading the series to fill in my Eberron knowledge for future gaming and/or writing.
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2008
David Galloway
David Galloway rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2010
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2016
  • Marked for Death (Eberron: The Lost Mark, #1)
  • The Binding Stone (Eberron: The Dragon Below, #1)
  • Flight of the Dying Sun (Eberron: Heirs of Ash, #2)
  • The Orb of Xoriat (Eberron: War-Torn, #2)
  • Thieves of Blood (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #1)
  • Tales of the Last War (Eberron)
  • Storm Dragon (Eberron: The Draconic Prophecies, #1)
  • The Crimson Talisman (Eberron: War-Torn, #1)
  • Night of Long Shadows (Eberron: Inquisitives, #2)
  • Dragons: Worlds Afire
  • Blackstaff (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #1)
19558
I've been interested in games since I first fell under the sinister influence of the Dungeons & Dragons boxed set, back in sixth grade. Over the last few decades I have managed to turn gaming from a hobby into a career. Here is a list of the highlights of my life as a game designer. If you have any questions, let me know!

From 1994-2002, I fell into the computer games industry. My first job was
More about Keith Baker...

The Dreaming Dark (3 books)
  • The Shattered Land (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #2)
  • The Gates of Night (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #3)

“Perhaps the war is never won,” Pierce said. “We must simply find satisfaction in survival.” 0 likes