Start by marking “Impunity Jane” as Want to Read:
Impunity Jane
Rumer Godden

Impunity Jane

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Impunity Jane is a Victorian pocket doll who yearns for adventure. For many years, she waits in a doll house hoping to be rescued and surprisingly it is a 7-year-old boy named Gideon who hears her calling and liberates her.
Published (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Impunity Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impunity Jane

This is the story of a doll who believes she belongs in a pocket, but no one will put here there! What I liked most about this story was that the Jane's favorite owner was a boy. I have a huge issue with parents who won't let their boys play with dolls. Really, aren't these young men going to be fathers someday? I can tell you that my boys both had a collection of Polly Pockets for a while and they and I thought it was great! Unfortunately they have both bought into the stereotypical "these are ...more
I am reading this to my daughter right now and it brings back so many memories. The copy that I own is my mom's original...I have very fond memories of lying on my bed reading this over and over as a little girl. Its just a simple tale but something in it sparked my imagination then and still holds it now. Its very special to cuddle up with my girl and read it to her. I've never seen a copy in the library or in a bookstore but if you ever do ...pick it up.
Amy Axelrod
Impunity Jane was given to me at age 10 and was my first Rummer Godden book. I loved this book as a child and that feeling hasn't diminished all these years later. Somewhere along the way I lost my childhood copy, but found one in our little town library. The book hadn't circulated in 25 years and the librarian was about to add it to her "thinned-out" pile. I took the book and returned with some copies of my own books in exchange. Absolutely my favorite, then and now!
Darling little book - a perfect read for girls who'd rather do boy things and boys who'd rather do girl things.

I loved the idea of a little boy with a pocket doll and a pocket doll who loved sailing in a sailboat, gliding in an airplane, pretending to dig to Australia, acting out as a fossil mouse, and oh-so-many things.

A very short book, appropriate for grades 2/3
Sweet little short story about a pocket doll who longs for a life of adventure. First read it as an 8 year old. Just read it to my 5 year old son. ...more
Jan 16, 2009 Vivienne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers of young children
Recommended to Vivienne by: used book table at Red Lake, ON library
Impunity Jane, the pocket doll, languishes until a young boy takes her along on his fun adventures. Out of the dollhouse and into the world! Laugh out loud funny and good opportunity to discuss "how times have changed" etc. if read to a child.
doing some research on Rumer Godden and revisiting her kid books - oh how I love her doll books. Only she can pack the angst of being a woman into a small wooden doll.
Just a short book about a doll imprisoned in a dollhouse who wants to see the world. Finally she is put into the pocket of a boy and has some adventures.
Loved, loved loved this book. Beautiful illustrations, and a sweet sweet story where even a boy can love a doll.
This is the sweetest most lovely story I have read in a very long time. It was written in 1954.
Wendy Darling
Wendy Darling marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Liyi marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Renee Silvey
Renee Silvey marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Teresa marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Siskiyou-Suzy marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Jaime marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Jackie Winn
Jackie Winn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Beth added it
Jun 03, 2015
Bookishgirl marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
She was born in Sussex, England, but grew up in India, in Narayanganj. Many of her 60 books are set in India. Black Narcissus was made into a famous movie with Deborah Kerr in 1947.

Godden wrote novels, poetry, plays, biographies, and books for children.

For more information, see the official website: Rumer Godden
More about Rumer Godden...