Start by marking “The Thing Beneath the Bed (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #1)” as Want to Read:
The Thing Beneath the Bed (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #1)

The Thing Beneath the Bed (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,089 Ratings  ·  512 Reviews
This is not a book for children.

It looks like a children's book. It has pictures. It has a saccharine-sweet title. The main characters are a little girl and her teddy bear. But all of that is just protective coloration. The truth is, this is a book for adults with a dark sense of humor and an appreciation of old-school faerie tales.

There are three separate endings to the b
Published June 21st 2010 by Subterranean Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Thing Beneath the Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thing Beneath the Bed

Patrick
Aug 12, 2010 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a pet project of mine that I've been working on with a friend for a couple of years now. It's a not-for-children picture book. I think of it as Coraline meets Calvin and Hobbes.

It will be released from Subterranean Press in July of 2010, and I'm really unreasonably proud of it.

If you want more details, you can read the blog I wrote about it over here:

The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle.

Edit: The book is out now. The first printing is almost sold out....
Patrick
Oct 21, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Given, I have a personal fondness for this book, because it's mine. But I happen to love the this new paperback edition for several additional reasons:

1. It has a new author's note from me and Nathan Taylor, the illustrator.

2. It fixes a very few tiny mistakes nobody but me would ever notice or care about.

3. It's paperback, so it's cheaper.

4. A portion of the proceeds from the book go to Worldbuilders, the charity I run every year.

5. It has a bunch of Nate's original concept sketches in the
Terence
Sep 14, 2015 Terence rated it liked it
The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath the Bed is a mildly disturbing tale. The biggest reason for that is that it looks like a children's book.
description
Let me assure you, you must trust the blurb this is not a book for children. I counted at least 5 moments that would cause my 4 year old daughter to never let us turn the lights off in her room again. My 4 year old can read well and I know that sounds cool, but she's been doing it since she was 3 and a half. The problem is ther
Jeff
Nov 14, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Patrick Rothfuss is a storyteller (The Name of the Wind), a father, a blogger (patrickrothfuss), a humanitarian (Worldbuilders), and more than a little insane:

Patrick (I feel I can call him "Patrick" since he will be haunting my dreams for many nights to come) gives voice to his insanity with The Adventure of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle. It is a story that is both touching and diabolical. A reminder of what it was like to be a child in a world fueled by imagination, it is also a cautionary tal
Macarena
Jul 11, 2016 Macarena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leidos-en-ingles
Ay Pat... Pat Pat. This is amazing.
Wart Hill
Nov 10, 2014 Wart Hill rated it really liked it
There's a video of Rothfuss reading this.

It's so creepy.
j
Aug 12, 2010 j rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the easily amused, sycophants
Recommended to j by: The author (that's what I get)
Shelves: 2010, ooo-scary
Remember how the Calvin and Hobbes anthologies would start off with some elaborate, full-color artsy extended bit of weirdness from Bill Watterson? My favorite was "A Naseous Nocture," an long poem about something creepy under the bed in the closet, with lines like this: "In the morning, they’ll come in/And say, 'what was that awful din/We heard last night? You kept us both from sleep!' Only then will they surmise/The gruesomeness of my demise/And see that my remains are in a heap."

The Adventure
Nnedi
Aug 19, 2010 Nnedi rated it it was amazing
My daughter had the privilege of being one of the first people Pat read this to and she LOVED his reading of it. My daughter is 7 (she was 6 when he read it to her). She loves this book. Reads it over and over. Finds it hilarious. Mind you, my daughter loves animals. But she is also aware of the cycle of life and is not horrified when one animal eats the other (despite the fact that I, her mother, am a vegetarian). My point is that some kids will be horrified by this book, certainly. And some wi ...more
Stephie
Aug 05, 2016 Stephie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es lo mejor que he leído en mi vida en estos cortos minutos. Lo mejor de todo es que al encontrarlo y ser tan barato, fue automático: TENGO QUE TENERLO. Amo la manera de Rothfuss juega con el humor en un cuento que parece muy infantil, aunque nada tiene que ver con los niños.
Stephen
4.0 stars. I have been waiting for this to come out ever since I first read that Patrick Rothfuss was writing a "not for children" children's book and it did not disappoint. Diabolically clever, this is a book you will want to go back through a second time after you finish it so you can really appreciate the brilliance of the artwork that absoutely makes the story. Highly Recommended!!!!
Veronica Belmont
Aug 07, 2010 Veronica Belmont rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is seriously awesome, and also SERIOUSLY not for kids! The illustrations are fantastic, and most adults will be sufficiently creeped by the storyline.
E.B.
Jul 15, 2013 E.B. rated it it was amazing
Patrick Rothfuss' The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath the Bed is a darkly funny little faerie tale packaged in a sweet little picture book.

It is most definitely not for children.

Nate Taylor's illustrations are sweet, whimsical and absolutely morbid-- something that makes the ending of this tale all the more...biting.

I loved it.
Paul Eckert
Aug 04, 2012 Paul Eckert rated it it was ok
I've been interested to read Rothfuss' novels for awhile, just haven't got around to it yet. Found this at the library and decided to check it out.

This was supposed to be a clever twist on children's fables and picture books, and as the inside flap warns over and over, this isn't a story for children. However, I found this book short on clever and twists. And it wasn't particularly dark except for the very end, and even that seemed forced.

There are multiple endings, which was interesting, but
Eric
The description of this book boasts: "The truth is, this is a book for adults with a dark sense of humor and an appreciation of old-school faerie tales." But the old school Grimm's faerie tales had a lot more meat on their bones -- pun intended, if you've read this book -- than this little illustrated edition. And while the art was beautiful, it felt... lacking. The whole thing probably had one hundred words in it, and they weren't used to tell much of a story, just to jump from one not-terribly ...more
Laura Baugh
Jul 28, 2010 Laura Baugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I had pre-ordered the book, and it came with the promised "This Shit is Not for Kids. Seriously." sticker to place on the front cover. At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to put the sticker anywhere; the cover art is delightful and balanced, and I felt the sticker might spoil it.

Then I finished the book, and I applied the sticker.

I'd heard the first two thirds of the book before, read by Rothfuss, and I had an idea of what to expect. The ending doesn't disappoint, but it's probably not the thing
Mia Nauca
Nov 03, 2015 Mia Nauca rated it it was amazing
Este cuento me encantó!! La edición es una preciosidad y las ilustraciones, hermosas.
Es un cuentro creepy que parece para niños, pero no lo es.
Narrado como un cuento clásico tiene 3 finales y el último es el que más me gustó!!

Lo único malo es que lo leí en 10 minutos :(
Me hubiera gustado que tenga páginas infinitas
S.N. Arly
This is an awesome and terrifically fun take on the whole locked away princess tale. Have you ever wondered WHY she's locked away? Well here's your answer.

The pictures are engaging (and even more entertaining on the second read). Be sure to watch the background for the aftermath of the battle on the bridge, analyze that buried treasure and take note of the placement of the locks and spikes on the gate.

The story has three endings. The first is sweet, the second is suggestive of horrific events, a
Book Him Danno
Jan 04, 2013 Book Him Danno rated it really liked it
My 3 through 8 year old kids would love this book(they love scary stories just like their dad). It comes off sweet and innocent with a taste of darkness hanging out in the corner just out of range.

I asked myself throughout: Why is this girl all alone in this marzipan castle with no one around but her teddy bear? Why is she stuck behind a gate with a big lock on it? Why are there spikes on the inside of the wall, are they trying to keep her in? After playing war with her stuff animals did she rea
Mangrii
Jan 25, 2015 Mangrii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado mucho, sobretodo, que tenga tres finales. Puede parecer un cuento para niños en su primera parte, la segunda ya empieza a dar algo de miedo, pero la tercera, madre mía, no me lo esperaba, que gore. La verdad que lo he disfrutado mucho, las ilustraciones de Nate Taylor son geniales, el cuento me ha gustado y solo me da pena que sea tan cortito. A ver si pronto publican la segunda parte de estos cuentos de este maravilloso escritor.
Fabulantes
Apr 12, 2014 Fabulantes rated it did not like it
Reseña: http://www.fabulantes.com/2012/10/las...
"(...) Alrededor de Rothfuss (la editorial Subterranean Press) ha creado un halo de infalibilidad que no favorece al de Wisconsin en absoluto. Como si fuera un rey Midas del género, una gallina de los huevos de oro de la fantasía, pareciera que todo lo que saliera de su mente tuviera que ir acompañado por loas y aplausos. Este fenómeno, que en inglés se conoce como hype y que aquí podríamos traducirlo como publicidad desmesurada, contribuye en esta
Kwoomac
A terrible story wonderfully told. A young princess lives in a castle alone with her teddy bear. She seems quite content in her world, except for "the thing beneath the bed". Before you go feeling too bad for her, just take one look at her manic eyes and you'll stop with the pity. Rothfuss offers us three endings. For those readers who feel empathy for our young protagonist, it's best to stop at ending number one. Still curious, it's not too, too bad if you go on and read the second ending. Only ...more
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
Jan 09, 2016 Michelle {Book Hangovers} rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and UTTERLY DISTURBING!!!!!!
Kim
Jan 12, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time and on my recent trip to the US I finally got a chance to pick up a copy.

It's only a small book but well written with beautiful artwork. The tale of a sweet little girl and her teddy in a big castle there's an inkling from the beginning that something is not quite right. I won't say anymore on the story as I don't want to spoil anything but if you've got a bit of a twisted streak and a dark sense of humour I'd recommend taking a couple minute
Mike
Jul 29, 2010 Mike rated it did not like it
Very disappointing, juvenile, unoriginal, and crude. If you find cruelty to animals or children amusing, because you're "edgy", you will like this. I suppose it's trying to be Gorey-esque but it falls pretty far short. There are a lot of positive reviews on here but they appear to be from personal friends of Rothfuss, who I can't imagine spent more than 15 minutes writing this. This is a lousy indie comic published in hardcover. Pass.
Miguel
Jun 28, 2016 Miguel rated it liked it
WAIT ..... WAT

Fue lindo, hasta que no lo fue, y de ahi puede volver a ser lindo, pero depende ya del desequilibrio del lector.

Cuando Rothfuss dijo que no era para niños pense que me estaba tomando el pelo, y no lo es tecnicamente hasta que llegas a las ultimas paginas, de hecho tampoco es taaaaan crudo, solo raro, el señor patrick esta muy aburrido cuando escribio esto.
Peter
Jul 19, 2010 Peter rated it it was amazing
This long-awaited gem showed up in the mail today, much to my delight. Read it once in about five minutes, laughing out loud several times. Then read it a second time more slowly, poring over the background details of Nate Taylor's luscious art.

Promoted as a not-for-children children's book, the ending is not for the timid, but delightfully wicked.

Recommended.
Haiku Reviews
Feb 13, 2013 Haiku Reviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: violence
For the Dark Humor
The ones who love night monsters
The bumps and thumps there

I was so surprised
By how much I enjoyed this
It’s a dark twist tale

I’m not a hobbs fan
So I don’t compare the two
It’s a good read though
frogfairie
Feb 25, 2013 frogfairie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars

The thoughts that went through my head as I was finishing the story:
“No… she *didn’t*.”
(flip back a page, re-read & continue)
“Ohhhh. She *did*. HA HA HA!!”
Jamie
I am short for words for this one, especially without spoiling anything. The author is quite correct in stating this is NOT for children. While the black/white cover may look like a creepy kids book, and the other look all 'sunshine and rainbows,' they are not.

This is a three part story. The first part is relatively light-hearted,the second part creepier and the third....well read for yourself. I highly advise watching where you leave this book lying around if you have young children. Seriously
Larissa
Jul 28, 2010 Larissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
The Princess and Mr. Whiffle live alone together in a marzipan castle, but they don't mind for they are the best of friends doing everything together. They have many great adventures facing many dangers, though none of these dangers are real but for one exception; the Thing beneath the bed.
Here at the first of three endings you can decide to stop before things get too frightening and you can still pretend that there is nothing too terrifying about the Thing beneath the bed, or else you can go on
Around the Year i...: The Thing Beneath the Bed, by Patrick Rothfuss 3 29 Jul 23, 2016 09:28AM
Goodreads Librari...: Other editions not linked 6 153 Oct 30, 2012 01:43PM
  • Clash of the Geeks
  • Porcelain: A Gothic Fairy Tale (Vol I)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius, #5)
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • Once Upon a Twice
  • The Traveler
  • Unfettered
  • I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon
  • Cursed Pirate Girl: The Collected Edition, Volume One
  • The Light Princess and Other Fairy Stories
  • Amazing Everything: The Art of Scott C.
  • Warriors
  • The Book of Ballads
  • Tomorrow's Sphinx
  • Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)
  • The Evil Garden
  • The Weaving of a Dream
  • Digger: The Complete Omnibus
It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends
More about Patrick Rothfuss...

The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle (2 books)
  • The Dark of Deep Below (The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle #2)