Start by marking “The Dark” as Want to Read:
The Dark

The Dark (Guardians of Time #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,812 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
In this thrilling sequel to The Named, Ethan and Isabel are joined by Isabel's brother, Matt, when Arkarian, their ageless mentor, is kidnapped and sent to a frightening underworld full of strange, otherworldly creatures.
Published November 9th 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark

Allison
I liked this one so much better than the first. It continues on a year after the events of the last book, but gets right into the action. It really never stops. I'm glad I continued with the series.

This entire series has a huge case of insta-love, though. Everyone seems to have a soul mate, and the way they discover their soul mate is by being unable to look away from each others' eyes when they first meet. When I read the first book, I thought it was going to avoid this kind of thing - but it
Joannne
Aug 07, 2012 Joannne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
as good as the first one, loved every minute of it, couldn't put it down
Sandra Gallegos
Aug 18, 2015 Sandra Gallegos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro consiguió gustarme un poco más que su predecesor. Si bien Los Elegidos se me hizo corto, creo que el giro de tuerca que la autora introduce en este segundo libro resulta espectacular. Y, especialmente, me gustó que, esta vez, fuese narrado por Arkarian en lugar de Ethan, aunque Isabel se mantiene como narradora femenina. Y se la ve más fuerte, más madura, más dueña de su magia, con lo que resulta un personaje todavía más increíble y redondo.

No obstante, pienso que el papel de Arkarian
Denise
Aug 07, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did really like this book but I really missed seeing the story from Ethan's perspective. Arkarian is cool and all but he was cooler when I couldn't see inside his head and maintained that air of mystery. Also the whole love story between Arkarian and Isabel seemed a little forced. I know they're "soul mates" or whatever but it was like suddenly Isabel was head over heals for Arkarian after just being in love with Ethan in the last book. Anywho Arkarian's inner thoughts about Isabel also took a ...more
Aelvana
Oct 28, 2014 Aelvana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Arkanian is kidnapped by the goddess of Chaos, and Isabel, Matt, and Ethan choose to journey into the dark parallel world where he is being held to rescue him.

Really, there's so much more I could say in description, but why bother? The plot twists, such as they are, are nothing but clichè after clichè. Isabel and Arkanian refuse to admit their romance until the end, though everybody but them seems to know they're in love. Matt is the only character with any depth, and that's because he's the onl
Camden  Casarico
Kasey
Jan 19, 2016 Kasey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a bit more cliched than The Named, but that didn't actually bother me like I'd expect it to. I still deeply love each and every character and the magic in this book is almost alive.

This is actually pretty intense. Also, the new points of view were great apart from the fact that it made Arkarian lose some of that mystery that I always thought was so vital to his character. In a way though, it worked out for the best as you get to see sides of him that you wouldn't really expec
S.E. Berrow
Oh the nostalgia. I am seriously loving rereading these books, even though the writing is not terribly good. There is a lot of exposition and convenient, obvious sentences like, "She had never noticed how green his eyes were before..." to set up a later climactic recognition. Because of the less-than-brilliant writing, I unfortunately cannot bring myself to rate this book more than 2 stars.

However.

I love the concept of these books. So much. This book also decidedly upped the peril from the first
Nafal
Nov 27, 2015 Nafal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Me esperaba mucho más, la verdad. Si ya el primer libro me pareció regular, el segundo simplemente me decepcionó.
Lo primero que me molestó fue el cambio de narrador: eché muchísimo de menos a Ethan, quien en el primer libro se había convertido en mi personaje favorito. La narración, que ya en un comienzo me había llamado la atención (y no precisamente en un buen sentido) por lo plana que era me aburrió muchísimo y me complicó el avanzar. De ahí que me haya demorado una semana en leerlo.
Los momen
Karen
A continuation from The Named.

Lathenia (the Goddess of Chaos) is furious because she has just seen her soul-mate killed. Fu-ri-ous. She blames it all on Arkarian - the head of the Named, the Guardians of Time, those that go back into the past to thwart the Goddess' attempts to change the future by changing the past because her power grows with chaos.

The Goddess plots against Arkarian's life. Can the Named stop the Goddess' plans?

The Named was told mainly from Ethan's and Isabel's perspective.
Arya
Sep 30, 2008 Arya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ethan...Isabel..Lorian and Arkarian are back in this action packed sequel to The Named.

This time our two narrators are Isabel and Arkarian and a new warrior has joined the named as one of the final players in the prophecy. With Marduke's death the Goddess has become more and more relentless in her pursuit of power. She has lost Rochelle to the Guard and her soul mate (Marduke) is lost in the world between worlds. Lorian and the Guard are hard pressed from all sides. Veridian and Angel Falls need
Sammy Nicholas
May 29, 2012 Sammy Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a lot longer to read than it should have. Mostly because I had books that had holds on them that we're due before this one was due, and a little because this book was a little slow in getting started. The whole thing was Arkarian's kidnapping, and it seemed to drag on and on and never end. Though it did eventually pick up and get better and in the end I found I did enjoy this book. Getting started and into this book was pretty hard, I found myself drifting away, but finally aft ...more
Monica
Jun 07, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are searching for an intense novel, look no further than Marianne Curley's The Dark, book two of the Guardians of Time Trilogy. The story is told in the points of views of two main characters: Arkarian and Isabel. These two are a part of a group called "The Guard," and they protect Earth's timeline and keep history in check. Their personalities do not really develop; this was done in the prequel, The Named. The Dark begins one year after Marduke's (the antagonist group "The Order's" lead ...more
Katharine Blankenship
Book 2 of the Guardians of Time Trilogy continues to follow the time traveling lives of the 4 main characters you meet in the first book: Isabel, Arkarian, Ethan, and Matt. In this book, Arkarian has been captured by the Goddess of Chaos and has been taken to the Underworld. Isabel, Ethan, and Matt must now face the darkness down there, to rescue him, before he is gone forever.

Just like the first book, the chapters alternate between two of the main characters. In this book, however, you are give
Nicole
Apr 07, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ayana
Nov 12, 2012 Ayana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Setting as it affects plot:

Exposition: Isabel and Ethan are training Matt to be a better leader so he can lead the Guardians. A dark storm breaks out and they go to Arkarian to see what it was. Arkarian later explains then tells Isabel, crush, that he has to go on a mission with her. "ISabel I'm going to be your partner." (Curley 42)

Rising Action:Arkarian gets kidnapped by wrens and their leader Lathenia. While captured Arkarian figures out Lathenia's plan on how she is going to kill Arkarian.
Benny
Jul 21, 2012 Benny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. The characters have a lot of charisma, and they are weird, which I love :D I still don't know why a blue haired freak can't live in the normal world, I mean..I see blue haired freaks all the time..Just sayin' ....

I've recently gotten into the whole Time travel thing, and so far I'm liking the idea of this. Changing history, don't we all wish we could do that? meet some of the greats. I''m getting off topic arn't I?

Ok back to what I was suppose to be saying, This is
Anna
Apr 15, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
These books can be a little cliched, and the writing isn't the best.

But... the emotion and the characters are amazing, the story grabs you and I devoured the trilogy really quickly. There is danger, romance, action, humour and a little tragedy.

I think this author has a lot of potential, and that her writing style will improve and mature.
Kirsty
As with The Named, I am slightly conflicted in my feelings for this book. Whilst the writing was definitely an improvement, it was the storyline I was unsure of. Whilst I very much enjoyed what happened, in many places it seemed rushed, and the conclusion was reached too swifty. It was also slightly disappointed by how everything seemed to be so convenient. There where a few times where there was potential to great struggle and something you could get your teeth into, but the solution always see ...more
Ashley
Aug 16, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to The Named recaptures the reader’s attention as they jump into the world of time travel and the continuing battle of good vs. evil. Curley ups the ante when Arkarian is kidnapped by the goddess of Chaos and held in the underworld. A new element of romance is added when the reader begins to realize why Isabel will stop at nothing to bring him back. Full of adventure and new obstacles The Dark will keep readers entertained and interested even after the last page. Much like the first b ...more
Phoebe
Nov 10, 2013 Phoebe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-books
This book has got to be one of the best books I have ever read. One common problem when it comes to series is that the first book is amazing, but then the 2nd book just gets boring and is half as good. To say it bluntly- this series does not have that problem. It is an amazing and magical book with spine-tingling suspense and breathtaking adventure. Throughout this book I thought I started to understand everything and I thought I was so clever for figuring it out before the characters did, but I ...more
Richelle
In this second installment of her Guardians of Time trilogy, Curley stays true to the characters she created in The Named. The villains are perfectly villainous and the heroes are perfectly... well, perfect. For a well-read individual, the operating stereotypes throughout this series only work to dull the fascinating premise. The events, especially in this book, seem to occur in a vacuum. Yet there is something to be said for the way Curley maneuvers a story, the way she handles time and details ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 28, 2008 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Isabel and Ethan are two of the Named, sworn to fight the Order of Chaos, an evil band trying to distort the course of history.

In this epic quest the two are joined by Isabel’s brother Matt, who is still getting accustomed to life in the Guard. This time, they must find Arkarian, their ageless mentor, who has been kidnapped and sent to the underworld – a nightmarish landscape full of bizarre creatures.

Although Isabel and Ethan have been forbidden to rescue him, an ever-increasing connection to
Crystal Johnson
Feb 01, 2011 Crystal Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-10
In the second installment of the Guardians of Time trilogy, The Dark introduces, Ethan and Isabel who are in search for their mentor, Arkarian, who has been kidnapped and sent to the dark underworld. The Guards have forbidden the rescue because they fear that it may be too dangerous for the the Guardians. Isabel tries to convince Ethan and Matt that they have to risk it all for him to save him and bring him back.

At first I was disappointed that The Dark wasn't told from Ethan's perspective, how
Gloria
Completamente diferente y al mismo continuación de la primera parte.
Los narradores cambian y eso hace que veamos otros puntos de vista. Podemos ver la llegada de nuevos elegidos, cada vez nos acercamos a que los 9 se encuentren en Veldemar.
(view spoiler)
Isabelle Low
Feb 08, 2013 Isabelle Low rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt the plot moved reasonably fast, keeping enough tension and excitement for readers to be completely engaged in the story. Curley creates this magical world that Guards can travel through time to safe history from being changed by the Order (tries to change events of the past to change the future in favour of themselves). Each world is vividly described making reading much more pleasurable for the readers. However, the conclusion in the book seems a little rushed, especially the romance se ...more
Midrarul Karim
Feb 24, 2016 Midrarul Karim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
vilma
Jun 09, 2013 vilma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. Guardians of Time is just a part of my life! I was actually really scared about The Dark, 'cause I was so in love with the first book, The Named. Usually second books are .. worse than the first books: but know it wasn't like that. I think these first two books of GoT are amazing. This was so exciting and interesting book. There was always happening something! Something good or something bad. When you start to read GoT: you have to read all three books. I can't wait for getting ...more
Chris
Apr 26, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than The Named, which was the first book in this series, and that's rare with sequels, especially middle books. The Dark was a riveting read.
Jacqui
Sep 21, 2015 Jacqui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it was slightly better than the first book. And by better I mean there's a little more action and it was kinda neat to see the story from a new perspective. The writing is still terrible. And by terrible I mean it sounded like something a middle schooler would write. No wonder my 14 year old self loved these books. My 22 year old self is starting to regret I re-read these.
  • Sign of the Crescent
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • Sorcerers of the Nightwing (The Ravenscliff, #1)
  • Tríada (Memorias de Idhún, #2)
  • The Order of Odd-Fish
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • The Finder (The Watcher's Quest, #3)
  • Methodius Buslaev: The Midnight Wizard (Methodius Buslaev #1)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)
  • Red is for Remembrance (Blue is for Nightmares, #4)
  • A Well-Timed Enchantment
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • The Fire of Merlin (The Return to Camelot, #2)
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • The Return Part II & The Last Story (Remember Me, #2-3)
  • The Babylon Game (The Seven Fabulous Wonders, #2)
I loved reading from a young age and scoured my school libraries during my younger years, but I never thought I would become a writer. It was not until my mid-thirties, while teaching office studies and computers to adults at the Coffs Harbour Education Campus that I began to think seriously about writing. I took several courses and experimented with different styles and genres. With two teenage d ...more
More about Marianne Curley...

Guardians of Time (3 books)
  • The Named (Guardians of Time, #1)
  • The Key (Guardians of Time, #3)

“Grief and passion make a volatile mix.” 11 likes
“Instinctively, and against my better judgement, I pull her closer to me. She rests her head on my shoulder as if it is the most natural thing in all the worlds to do.
But it's a mistake. I become aware of her heart beating, her lungs expanding with every breath, her skin beneath my touch.
She moves, and her head slides to my chest. Shifting into sleep, she wraps her arm around my waist. Now I'm aware of my heart beating too, slowly, in sync with hers. I know I should push her away. But if my life depended on it, right now, that would be impossible.”
9 likes