Start by marking “Ghostopolis” as Want to Read:
Ghostopolis

Ghostopolis

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  9,294 Ratings  ·  847 Reviews
A page-turning adventure of a boy's journey to the land of ghosts and back.

Imagine Garth Hale's surprise when he's accidentally zapped to the spirit world by Frank Gallows, a washed-out ghost wrangler. Suddenly Garth finds he has powers the ghosts don't have, and he's stuck in a world run by the evil ruler of Ghostopolis, who would use Garth's newfound abilities to rule th
Published July 1st 2010 by GRAPHIX

To ask other readers questions about Ghostopolis, please sign up.

Avril I read this when someone introduced it to me and I requested it from the library and I read it and it was really good. I like Skinny the horse :) I…moreI read this when someone introduced it to me and I requested it from the library and I read it and it was really good. I like Skinny the horse :) I rated it 5 stars!!!! ★★★★★(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5 not quite a 4 star.)

Enjoyed this, but I felt that at times it was a bit too all over the place.
John Jacobs
Jan 25, 2013 John Jacobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's my review: I checked this book out from the library, thinking my kids would like it. I brought it home, read it during the afternoon. Totally enthralled. Great story, great characters, great artwork. Picked up my kids from school, the youngest (10) picked it up, and for the next hour and a half, was absolutely silent, sitting at the kitchen table, turning pages and gnawing her lip.

Then, dinner. Afterwards, the oldest daughter (12) asked for television privileges. Of course, it being a sch
Brad
My Brontë loved this graphic novel, and I can see why. It's a feel good story full of classic "monsters" -- mummies, skeletons, goblins, demonic insects -- but they're all cleaned up and as unscary as can be. There is a simplistic good versus evil tale going on (albeit with a nurture rather than nature bent). There is a lovable grandfather, who was a poor father, looking for and finding redemption. There is a sacrifice for love. It hits all the right notes for the kids who are its target audienc ...more
Natalie
Review #2 - May 31, 2015
I recently bought a pack of TenNapel books from Scholastic, and this book was included, so I decided to read it again.

I'm not a huge fan of graphic-novels, but I like the way TenNapel writes. I have an easy time following the story and never feel overwhelmed by words and pictures. The stories are very creative.

Can't wait to share this with my students! I know they'll love it.

Review #1 - August 7, 2012
I started reading this and wasn't very interested. In fact, I read th
Melissa Chung
Jul 21, 2016 Melissa Chung rated it it was amazing
I'm beginning to think Dough TenNapel is my new favorite middle grade graphic novel author. The first book I read from him 'Cardboard', was really good and it had a Pinocchio vibe. This one reminded me on the Wizard of Oz.

Ghostopolis is about a boy named Garth and he has an incurable disease. The doctors do not have a time frame for when he will pass on.

Frank Gallows is a ghost wrangler. He catches ghosts that have illegally crossed over and cuffs them. Sending them back to the afterlife. While
Michael
Auch beim Wiederlesen kommt Ghostopolis nicht über drei Sterne hinaus.
Die Story ist witzig und kann mit vielen netten Details und Ideen aufwarten, trotzdem fehlt aber das gewisse etwas, das mich dazu motiviert, bei der Stange zu bleiben. Wäre es ein Film, dann die Sorte, bei der ich zwischendurch aufstehe, mir eine Stulle schmiere oder einen Tee koche - man verpaßt ja nicht wirklich etwas. Und die Zeichnungen sind leider mit Ausnahme einiger Panels, die wiederum auf witzigen Ideen basieren, auc
Lars Guthrie
Sep 07, 2010 Lars Guthrie rated it really liked it
Rounding out my recent foray into Scholastic's impressive Graphix line, here's a great one for fourth graders up that touches on life and death, family dynamics, romance, theology and the Tuskegee airmen. Combine that with TenNapel's wonderful drawings of zombies, mummies, skeletons and other denizens of afterlife, and you can't go wrong.
Kaitlin
This is the story of Garth Hale and how he accidentally ended up getting transported into the world of the dead (as you do). He's a young boy who's not the most optimistic or happy upon Earth due to an illness he has, but when he's transported away to Ghostopolis he comes into his own adventure against evil bugs, riding skeleton horses and generally trying to escape.

I liked the story and it was certainly fun in places but I didn't feel like there was a whole load to comment on because it's not t
Bria
Jun 17, 2012 Bria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not only was the love story rather empty and trite, it caused an offensively arbitrary scene where the girl for absolutely no reason, completely interrupting the plot except to further the stupid love story in the most unimaginative and sexist way, suddenly changes into a dress because girls only care about dresses and the only way for men and women to interact is for the man to tell the woman that she looks good because of the dress and the woman to be genuinely flattered. WHAT YEAR ARE YOU WRI ...more
Victor Daniel
This was my 4th favorite book that I've read it's about a kid named Garth that has a uncureable disease that sums up his death but befor he dies he goes to the underworld by a guy named frank that teleported him there on accident I would like for many people to try this book out.:)
16maxwelll
Ghostopolis is a fun, but a bit childish book about the afterlife. The genre of Ghostopolis is fantasy graphic novel. The book takes place in a world where when you die, you go to Ghostopolis where all the dead live. However, the dead can sneak through holes and come back to life on earth. Frank Gallows and the SITF are in charge of zapping them back to Ghostopolis. The main character is a normal kid named Garth who lives with his mom and is diagnosed with an incurable disease. One day, Frank me ...more
HojunHwang
It was interesting book. The last moment that all the misunderstanding between Garth's mother and her father was great ending. Also, all the Garth's works that he done for the 'Afterlife' even he had serious disease are great too.
Karissa
Oct 26, 2011 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at the library on a whim and I am so glad I did. This was a wonderful story with some great illustrations. The story is meaningful, fun, and quirky all at the same time.

Garth is a kid with problems, he has a life-threatening condition that no doctor can solve. Imagine his surprise when he is accidentally zapped into the Ghost world by an accident prone ghost hunter. While there Garth learns he has fantastic powers and ends up facing off against Ghostopolis's evil ruler. Gar
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This was my 15th book for the YALSA Best Books challenge.

So basically there are a lot of things going on all at once (like with any good book). First of all you have a ghost hunter named Frank Gallows who goes around and zaps ghosts back to a ghost world where Ghostopolis is the main city. Then you have a kid named Garth who has some incurable disease and his mother who drags him to five doctors to try and find some hope of a cure. Well things get a bit jumbled when Gallows sends a skeleton hor
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
This is a cute story. Garth is a terminally ill boy who gets trapped in Afterlife while he's still alive because an RIPD type dude accidentally sends him back while sending a "nightmare" back at the same time.

So we visit Afterlife where the rules are reversed - i.e. living people can fly and go through walls and have magic - things the dead can do in our world - and it's all powered by imagination which, naturally, Garth has in abundance and he's uber-strong, a "natural talent", and, with help,
Brittany Boza
Jul 27, 2014 Brittany Boza rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Zoey Wyn
Feb 14, 2014 Zoey Wyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Frank Gallows, a longtime ghost hunter has really done it this time, sending a living person to the afterlife. What a loser! Now he is really going to get fired, so he enlists his ex to help save the day.

Garth, a terminally ill boy, is accidentally zapped to the afterlife prematurely. At first he just wants to find a way home, but as he spends more time in the afterlife he realizes he may be able to help.

Cecil, Garth’s grandfather, totally failed at life and his family. But through this terrible
Rebekah
Dec 03, 2013 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terminally ill boy named Garth Hale is accidentally teleported to the afterlife before it is his time to go, and he is introduced to a world oddly similar to our own if you don t count skeleton nightmares, fortune-telling werewolves, and monstrous bugs. The supernatural beings populate Ghostopolis, moving amongst towering black and red skyscrapers, sprawling suburban neighborhoods, and stinking sulfurous caves. While the fantastic illustrations will keep you turning pages, the story is also co ...more
Mitchel Broussard
I'm surprised at how good this was. It looks kiddie, and is kinda kiddie, but the story is well thought out and the bad guys are enjoyably evil, and i just kinda loved it. Basically its the story of this kid, Garth, that finds himself in the afterlife. One problem, he's still alive. In this afterlife, there are seven kingdoms at the hub of which, Ghostopolis sits, all led by the evil Vaugner.

Whats really cool about it is the magic system. Basically humans in the ghost world don't abide by afte
Damon
Feb 17, 2011 Damon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was disappointing, because there were a lot of things about it that, if they'd been handled in a bit different of a way, could have been really great. The art for the most part is super, but where a little nudge in a certain direction would have pushed it into something kind of creepy and cool, it goes the other way into goofy and silly. The writing is the same way - I understand that this book is directed at a young audience, but I bet a lot of kids today can appreciate jokes that aren't a ...more
Amber
Amber Randol
Graphic Novel

This book is about a ghost hunter who accidently zaps a boy to ghostopolis, the other world. He decides to go after him to bring him back with the help of his ex-girlfriend who is a ghost. The boy meets his grandfather in the city and they learn he has special powers. The ruler of ghostopolis tries to kidnap him for his powers because he wants the town all for himself, with no one in his way. Together they all work to defeat him by combining powers, and they are able to
Amal Fadoo
Feb 17, 2013 Amal Fadoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ghostopolis, is an amazing book. It is about a human boy, Garth, who gets caught in a ghost trap gets sent to Ghostopolis. It is a place for the afterlife where people are ruled by Vaugner the evil leader. Garth has to get back to his mother. With the help of his friends he manages to get back home and defeat Vaugner. This book was very hard to put down. It is filled with adventure.
S.
Sep 09, 2016 S. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Awful. Just awful. Probably the worst thing I’ve read all year.
As if the shabby artwork, poorly developed magic system, shoddy world-building, scattershot pacing, flimsy characterisation, and deus ex machina resolution aren’t bad enough, the author also throws in a bit of sexism for your displeasure. Keep your kids away from this, folks.
Anthony Amorelli
This was a very good book I liked the storyline a lot because I've never seen anything like it. A living boy gets stuck in a ghost world I thought it was pretty cool and the artwork was nice so is definitely recommend this book.
Gideon
Feb 23, 2013 Gideon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. think. its. interesting. of. what. rulers. there. where. and. the. boger one. was. funny
Sharon
Dec 28, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will be seeking out more TenNapel books. Fun, well told, art really enhances the story, and all-ages appropriate while still being a good story. And Skinny the Horse is awesome.
Rad
Part hero's journey, part film noir detective story, part bid for the importance of imagination. Plus, romance! This was an enjoyable read.
Missy
Oct 17, 2016 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Beautifully drawn, entertaining little read about a boy named Garth (sadly, there's no Wayne) who finds himself, alive, in the afterlife. He befriends a skeleton horse he named " Skinny", which made me laugh a lot more than it was intended, and he continues on to rid Ghostopolis of it's evil overlord.

Janie
My second graphic novel by Doug TenNapel, and it was absolutely amazing. My goodness. The characters, escapades, the WORLD... my goodness. I really liked this one.

Garth is a kid with an unnamed terminal illness, which sucks. But that isn't focused on. What is focused on instead is the deadbeat sort-of-I'm-pretty-sure-is-an-homage-to-Ghostbusters Ghostbuster detective character who accidently sends him to Ghostopolis when a nightmare tries to escape. Wait, that makes it sound bizarre. Hm... I am
Jose
Oct 27, 2016 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch Geostorm Full Movie Free Online Streaming 1 1 Dec 09, 2016 09:44AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #125 Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel 1 1 Nov 18, 2016 10:56PM
Ghostopolis movie 2 4 Jan 26, 2016 11:06AM
What ever happened to Joe? 3 25 Sep 10, 2014 05:26PM
  • Flight Explorer, Volume 1
  • The Storm in the Barn
  • How Mirka Got Her Sword (Hereville #1)
  • Foiled (Foiled, #1)
  • Level Up
  • Brain Camp
  • Broxo
  • I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)
  • Americus
  • Sidekicks
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Mercury
  • The Silver Six
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • Pandemonium
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party

“I know a lot of things about you, Garth...And I'm rooting for you anyways.” 9 likes