Start by marking “Four for Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Four for Tomorrow

Four for Tomorrow

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,074 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
It has also been published in the UK as A Rose for Ecclesiastes.
Introduction by Theodore Sturgeon
The Furies (1965)
The Graveyard Heart (1964)
The Doors of his Face, the Lamps of His Mouth (1965)
A Rose for Ecclesiastes (1963)
Paperback, M155, 191 pages
Published March 1967 by Ace Books (NYC) (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Four for Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four for Tomorrow

Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oct2014: Reading with the Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy group

Introduction 1967 essay by Theodore Sturgeon
was pretty good. Kind of convoluted, but I agreed with a lot of what he said about Zelazny's writing.

The Furies 1965 novelette by Zelazny
featuring Sandor Sandor, Benedick Benedict and Lynx Links, has always been my favorite story in this collection. Zelazny switches my sympathies around like a mixer. Who is right? Anyone? The characters & the differenc
Manny
Mar 11, 2013 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight fans

In a status update earlier today, Booknut 101 suggested that Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series could be summed up by the question "How can I get a vampire to fuck me?" It's a good line, but, as I said, I disagree. Really, I think that Meyer is asking a more important question, which I would paraphrase roughly as: "How can I best sell my body and soul to become a member of the elite few who are really in charge?" She takes it for granted that most people would like to do this, given the chance.

Th
Jim
This book was titled "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" in the U.K. & both editions contain the same 4 stories.

The title story (in the U.K.) is one of his most famous stories & rightfully so. It's another story set on a fictional Mars, with a dying Martian race & Earthmen to study them. It doesn't sound too appealing - more hackneyed than anything. It is nothing of the kind. It's touching - a romance mystery. 'Rose' also appears in his collection "The Lamps of His Mouth, The Doors of His Face
Andreas
Mar 13, 2015 Andreas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Read as part of The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth.

German translation's title is "Locar's 2224 Dances": if you combine the keywords of both variants, you'll get the essence of the story. Which is: nihilistic philosophy from the book Kohelet, poetry and finer arts making up a perfect sample for the topic about Mars dying.
I always think that Zelazny is at his best when he pairs cynicism with tragedy: Arrogant poet Gallagher from Earth falls in love with a dancer from the fading Martians
Simon
Jun 26, 2009 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
Four stories. Two good, two so-so.
Two are fairly straight-forward adventure stories, but something about the style with which they are told, a certain pretentiousness, gives the impression that the author thinks they're something more.
The other two contain more food for thought. "The Graveyard Heart" has an intriguing premise and a langourous style suitable to the subject matter, while "A Rose For Ecclesiastes", while not free of pretension, ends up being quite moving, and feels like a kind of r
Иван Величков
Четири новели от Роджър Зелазни писани през 60 години, събрани от Теодор Стърджън и с невероятен предговор от него.
Зелазни ми е любим автор и имам крайно субективно мнение за произведенията му, но тези четири истории са невероятни. Представят четири визии за бъдещето, макар и на заден план, защото отпред са си съвсем човешки и неподвластни на времето. На кратко:

Фуриите:
Стърджън - Зелазни ви кара да му повярвате до край и си тръгва, без изобщо да се е уморил, като ви оставя задъхани със сюжета в
Jay
Mar 24, 2012 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of four classic stories by famed sci-fi author Roger Zelazny (effusive introduction by Theodore Sturgeon), representative of his work in the mid- and late 1960s. It was a real roller coaster ride for me, since I really liked the first and third stories, didn't care for the second one much at all, and was so-so about the fourth one. In order, the stories were:

THE FURIES: Two very different mutants and a retire assassin join forces to hunt down a heartless (literally) space pirate a
Jean-Luc
Jun 20, 2014 Jean-Luc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a science fiction fan, I had certainly heard the name Roger Zelazny, but I hadn't read anything by him. Meg found a first edition on a whim, which is a good thing since Zelazny didn't write about space marines; it's unlikely I'd have ever read it on my own.

As the title states, there are 4 short stories:

The Furies - So often about soldiers you hear that they fight for each other, caring little about the politics which led to this struggle. Here, 3 supreme weirdoes fight not just because the
Matt
May 25, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A piquant collection of short stories, I only gave it a four to fit in. Some of these stores are great and compelling. They all were somewhat interesting with an introduction by T. Sturgeon to help set the tone. I like the Graveyard Heart the least, and it is the longest story of bunch, but I have to admit it was unique. He mixes poetry and time travel in a forum I have never seen before. The writing makes it a bit tough to read though. It ranges from simple, well conceived to almost dreamlike.
Adi
Jan 30, 2015 Adi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Имах твърде далечни и неясни спомени от Зелазни и стила му, поради щото го четох преди доста години. Радвам се, че случайността /Дали? "Вселената рядко е толкова мързелива."/ ме насочи към този сборник.
"Фуриите" ми показа как един всевиждащ разказвач може да ми хареса, че и отгоре. Финалът ми беше малко антиклимактичен, но не толкова, та да ми остави горчив вкус в устата.
"Сърцето на гробищата" разказва за едно далечно бъдеще, което въпреки всичко не е застраховано от най-първичните човешки страс
Alex
May 11, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it
I read the ACE edition titled FOUR FOR TOMORROW with the psychedelic 60’s cover art for THE FURIES that I picked up at my favorite used book store. This is a collection of four short stories/novellas from early in Zelazny’s career. Everything in here is thought provoking and gorgeously written. Each also seems to be a response to an earlier theme in (speculative) literature.

I'm not sure how I feel about THE FURIES. It's a space fable with an incredibly subverted moral; the message delivered over
Craig
Aug 04, 2014 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been five decades since these four stories first appeared, but they seem just as fresh and innovative today as they did then. "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" and "The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth" are undisputed classics, widely known and often reprinted. "The Furies" and one of my personal favorites, "The Graveyard Heart," are also brilliant pieces, very thought provoking and representative of the best work that's ever appeared in the field. This edition also includes a nice introdu ...more
Michael
I just reread this pretty awesome Roger Zelazny book which has 4 of his early stories. 3 of them are also found in "The Illustrated Roger Zelazny".

The first story, "The Furies" concerns a galactic manhunt for a mass killer by a trio with special talents.

The second story, "The Graveyard Heart" is about a wealthy privileged group of celebrities called "The Set" who sleeps cryogenically only to awaken periodically for the next long party.

The third, "The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth"
Jas
I'm not sure how to rate this, because it isn't one piece but four novellas or long stories. The quality varies greatly. The first is not very interesting and the second only a little better. The third was pretty good. The last, the title piece, is best. I'd rate the first two at 1 to 3 and the last at 4, maybe 5.

Has there ever been a better title, by the way?
Dione Basseri
Eeeeeeh. I can not approve of this. It reminds me of Conan the Barbarian. Just in space. And with more focus on the brains than the brawn. But, of course, our narrator has brawn, because he is the savior of the entire Martian race and he has a magic penis.

So much of this story is focused on telling us how great the protagonist is. He's a linguistics master, learning new ones at frightening speed, and also an unsurpassed poet, working in whatever language he's learned as well as if it was his nat
John Andrew
Jun 08, 2015 John Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection displays Zelazny's formal inventiveness to good advantage. In terms of also having a compelling sci-fi premise, I find "The Graveyard Heart" to be really compelling.
Tim Stead
Apr 07, 2014 Tim Stead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
The last Martian romance.
Zalazny's language is exceptional, and his gift for story telling quite amazing. Who else would base a tale about Mars around an old testament book?
Frank
Nov 06, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful collection from a time when the old guard were aging out and New Wave was pushing the genre to innovate and amaze.
Rolo
Mar 14, 2014 Rolo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first experience with Zelazny and boy was it a positive one! I definitely will pick up more works by him. Great read!
JT
Four of Zelazny's best. There are few authors who do the short form better.
Darcey
Just the titular short story.
Andreas
Sep 08, 2011 Andreas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this classic short story, a mercurial genius poet linguist is on Mars as part of an expedition. He delves deep into the mythos of the ancient (and still existing) Martian civilization.

Zelazny’s story is astonishing in its beauty. The use of Book of Ecclesiastes to illustrate the ennui felt by the Martians is genius. The prose is masterful and gorgeous. It is not a long story, but it lingers.

The full text can be found here: https://www.msu.edu/user/carterca/ros...

Stephen Poltz
I haven’t read much Zelazny. I was introduced to him though “Lord of Light” in my SF lit class in college. I loved it. Then I read his other Hugo winner, “This Immortal”, but didn’t enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed his writing style. Now I’ve read a collection of novellas, and it reinforces for me that I love how he writes, but I can’t say I loved the stories themselves...

For my full review, visit my blog:

Melissa
Nov 04, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zelazny is always good for a sci-fi perspective twister. These four short stories are no exception.
John
May 28, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way Zelazny uses words.

"In four years' time a facial avalanche had occurred, leaving its gaps and runnels across his expensive frown and dusting the face fur a shade lighter."

I enjoyed each of the stories in this collection. Had I enjoyed all of them as much as I did the last one, A Rose for Ecclesiastes, I'd give the book five stars.
Paradoxhorizon
Collection of four stories. I don't have the book at hand at the moment and it's been awhile... One or two have been published in other collections. All are pretty decent if not, apparently, incredibly memorable.
Eva
Sep 01, 2010 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just reread this after, well more than 20 years. It holds up, though I'm struck by how young the narrator's voice seems now that I'm almost 40, when he seemed so adult when I was 16.
Lionel
Aug 31, 2012 Lionel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Franchement pas le meilleur de Zelazny, et ça se sent le recyclage de fond de malle, mais bon, c'est quand même Zelazny alors, quand on a lu tout le reste... :P
Scott Golden
Feb 18, 2014 Scott Golden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection from Zelazny's brilliant early days.
April
Jan 10, 2008 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My thoughts (along with "Frost and Fire" and "Last Defender of Camelot" both also worth reading):

Sci-fi and Heroic...: A Rose for Ecclesiastes by Roger Zelazny 25 34 Oct 19, 2014 05:40AM
  • The Persistence of Vision
  • Holding Wonder
  • The Best of Leigh Brackett
  • Paingod and Other Delusions
  • Other Days, Other Eyes
  • A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars (Special Double Release)
  • Starwolf
  • E Pluribus Unicorn
  • Psychoshop
  • Dealing in Futures
  • The Demon Breed
  • Omnivore (Of Man and Manta, #1)
  • Да пробудиш драконче
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...