Start by marking “Toddler Taming” as Want to Read:
Toddler Taming

Christopher Green

Toddler Taming

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  37 reviews
At last here is practical advice--mixed with humor--for how to cope with those difficulties that turn your sweet baby into a holy terror, including: toilet training, tantrums and other tricks, sleep problems, fidgets, and more. Featuring special advice for working mothers and single parents, TODDLER TAMING strives to calm your fears, with advice that really works!
Published (first published January 15th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Toddler Taming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toddler Taming

Elizabeth Saxon
My manual that I heartily recommend to all parents. I love the way that we are constantly reassured that our children are generally as normal as they come, and how their misdemeanours are easily explained by our own actions, which are easily corrected! Presto! A manual for how to get nice children!
I was recommended it by a mum who had already used, and can vouch for its methodology. It has worked for all four of my children, so get it, relax, and enjoy your children more! :-)
Emma
The thing I liked best about Dr Christopher Green's 'Toddler Taming' was the constant reminders to be realistic about what to expect from toddlers and to enjoy this stage of our children, there is, after all, so much wonder and magic in even the most difficult toddler.

I definitely found the earlier chapters more useful than the later ones, maybe because when I started reading this I was facing some of the 'terrible twos' with my own toddler, but on reading the book I soon realised these were mi
Cat
Michel
Dr. Green's advice is often to give the child a smack. I don't know why so many pages were written if the answer is always to smack the kid around. There were a few other ridiculous tips in there. Unless this book has been drastically revised since its first printing, I recommend you throw the book in the paper recycling bin, which is where my second hand copy is going right now.
Kate
TTe first chapter includes a table of what proportion of toddlers engage in antisociable behaviour (not sleeping, tantrums, attacking siblings, hyyperactivity etc) at what ages and is great for reassuring you that your child is 100% normal and even in some ways you're ver lucky to have them (when you realise they are in the other 30% not engaging in disgusting behaviour).
It also makes you feel that whateveryou do as a parent is the best thing while at the same time giving possible solutions to c
Jim Kennedy
After having a baby over a year ago, my sister gave me this book, and I must admit, it is an excellent read for a new parent. It is mostly common sense (but no less important to see written down - sometimes I need to have things spelled out to me!), contains tons of practical advice, and it is very reassuring - i.e. there *are* solutions to any issues that may pop up with your toddler. He also constantly points out that children are not bad, they are just children being children, you should be e ...more
Sue Hopkins
Very good, informative and a lot of common sense! Can relate and not unrealistic like some parenting/self help books. Good reference.
Chris Edwards
All seems like very sensible, pragmatic advice with no tree hugging anywhere!
Jim
Oct 22, 2008 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fathers and mothers to be.
Recommended to Jim by: My mother
Wow, I'm now both dreading and keenly anticipating my own toddlers.

This book gave me a very good understanding of the techniques to deal with undesirable behaviour in toddlers. Strangely enough, its the same technique that works best in adults: ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good behaviour.

Obviously, its easier said than done, and Christopher Green is both well versed in the classical thinking, and hardened from decades of experience on the front line of paediatrics. Excellent read for
Allicia Coates
The author seems to assume that every parent thinks that their toddler is out to get him or is bad which I found a bit upsetting. I was just looking for advice on ways to manage toddler behaviour and insight into why toddlers behave this way. I DID find those things but found the tone of the book somewhat patronising and really hated the thought that by reading the book I was putting across the idea that i thought my toddler was being willfully nasty to me :(
Mariana
General impression: a repetitive book, poorly edited, but still valuable in helping inexperienced parents put their toddler's behavior in context and realize: yes, children at this age are rather puzzling and often exasperating. Yes, they throw tantrums, go through phases of picky eating and poor sleeping, are always on the move and don't really listen to the word No, so keep calm and give it time.
Kristy
The thing I found to be most helpful about this book is his repeated emphasis that toddlers are impulsive and senseless. I did not agree with the discipline chapter, in which he often stated that the child should be isolated (in his room or time out) to ride out a tantrum. I know this would be quite counter-productive for my daughter.
John Gordon
"Toddler taming" is full of good advice and humour on bringing up toddlers. The author takes a very practical approach to the issues, using plain language and without throwing blame or criticism about. Although a little dated, I enjoyed reading his perspectives and am already putting his advice into practice.
Peter
I completely lost interest in this half way through...Mr Green seems to make the same 2 points over and over again and little else besides, namely;

1-Whatever your child is doing is probably perfectly normal
&
2- everything will be alright in the end.

May revisit in the furture
Shanin
Basically a how-to-survive-a-toddler book. I scanned this one and returned to the library. I suppose if you can understand them, you can survive them. However, I feel fortunate that my toddler so far is pertty good. Maybe with round two I'll really need to read this book.

Dan Hardwick
I'm glad I didn't pay for this book (thank you BUPA). If the author isn't being captain obvious he's simply unhelpful. His answer to pretty much every toddler problem; ignore it- they'll grow out of it. It is easy to read...
Oznasia
By time this book was published my kids were past the toddler stage. From time to time I have toddlers in my life now and despite my parenting experience I sometimes find them challenging. This book sure helps.
Emma Ward
My copy is so well read, that some of the pages are loose, scribbled on, and one corner has been chewed! I have referred back to this book with every toddler, and each has left her own 'mark' on the book.
Craig
Only occasionally insightful and v Australian-centric.

One genuine gem worth recounting: "Guilt is mainly the result of other people's opinions of our choices." which applies beyond parenting.
Polka-dot-pin-up

Wonderfully helpful and insightful my own mother recommended it to me and I in turn have recommended it to friends this has to be THE parenting book for toddlers
Sian Taylor
Amazing book - the controlled crying method actually worked on my son, who refused to sleep anywhere apart form my husband's shoulder or my lap!
Manda
This book got me through the early child rearing years with the thought that I was doing pretty much okay. What moire can you ask?
I'm only part way through but so far this guide is pretty spot on for how I parent & great tips about connecting with your toddler.
Jessica Thompson
pretty great, reassuring and not nutty. Written by an Australian so I had to google a few terms. Anyone know what a dummie is?
Christine Lee
This book gave great information and stratagies when i needed to understand babies upwards when first a mother.
Vicki
As a pediatrician, I have recommended this book to parents for years. Down to earth but fun.
Wendy
Jul 28, 2007 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
the best book I ever read on parenting. Made things just about bearable when my two were toddlers!
Zbyszek Sokolowski
Very nice and to the point but I have read only pocket edition of this book.
  • The Secret of Happy Children: Why Children Behave the Way They Do--and What You Can Do to Help Them to Be Optimistic, Loving, Capable, and H
  • Recollections Of A Bleeding Heart. A Portrait Of Paul Keating PM
  • Kid Wrangling: Real Guide to Caring for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
  • Jo Frost's Confident Toddler Care: The Ultimate Guide to The Toddler Years: Practical Advice on How to Raise a Happy and Contented Toddler
  • How To Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • He'll Be Ok: Growing Gorgeous Boys Into Good Men
  • Not Under My Roof: Parents, Teens, and the Culture of Sex
  • Where Did I Come From?
  • Safe Kids, Smart Parents: What Parents Need to Know to Keep Their Children Safe
  • Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Our Hope for the Future
  • The Great Piratical Rumbustification: AND The Librarian and the Robbers
  • Starving for Attention: A Young Woman's Struggle with and Triumph Over Anorexia Nervosa
  • The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous
  • Children Are from Heaven: Positive Parenting Skills for Raising Cooperative, Confident, and Compassionate Children
  • Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents
  • Parking Lot Rules & 75 Other Ideas for Raising Amazing Children
  • The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men
  • Abortion and the Politics of Motherhood
Beyond Toddlerdom: Keeping Five to Twelve Year Olds on the Rails Understanding ADHD: The Definitive Guide to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Babies! Toddler Taming Hughie and Paula: The Tangled Lives of Hughie Green and Paula Yates