Start by marking “Reality And Dreams” as Want to Read:
Reality And Dreams

Muriel Spark

Reality And Dreams

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Reality and Dreams, Dame Muriel Spark's twentieth novel, is a masterpiece of restraint. It's a slender book, but such is Spark's skill that the superbly entertaining work conjures wholly the world of its characters with all the clarity and power imaginable from a book of any length. The story casts a famous English film director Tom Richards, his wife Claire, their beautif ...more
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Reality And Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reality And Dreams

Jane
Apr 24, 2012 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Richards was on top of the world.

He was a film director, at the top of the highest, shouting orders through a megaphone and watching his world moving under his command.

But something went wrong – a wheel moved when it shouldn’t – and he tumbled back to earth.

He was no longer a god, he was just a sixty-three year-old man with a fractured and twelve broken ribs, trapped in a hospital bed and having to watch the world move about him with no direction at all.

People swirled about him.

Nurses. Wives
Ted
Totally forgettable book. I'm getting rid of books that I've read today. The only reason I know I've read this one is that I have a spreadsheet that says I have. (Plus I'd already given it a 3 rating on GR.) Picked it up, looked at it, concluded quickly "toss".

That's not to say that I may not have enjoyed the read at the time, it was probably okay. But even though it's very short, not worth taking up 1/4 inch of shelf space. If you see it at a garage sale for two bits, go for it.
Emma
Jun 08, 2014 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Muriel Spark I have read and it was a shocking disappointment. I came to her work expecting the literary excellence promised both by her reputation and by the blurb of this book.
Unfortunately, this (mercifully) short novel is actually one of the worst I have read. A cast of crashing bores, bolstered by a family fortune, exchange painfully unrealistic dialogue and each other's sexual partners in an ever more preposterous storyline. The ludicrous conversations and inner t
Iva
Jul 05, 2014 Iva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A weak Muriel Spark is still worth something. She did seem out of touch somehow. Perhaps writing about the life of a movie director was too much of a stretch. Perhaps her strength is portraying life in London during and after the war (Girls of Slender Means for example.) Or perhaps Miss Brody in her prime was so remarkable that nothing else can measure up. But these characters didn't possess the presence or even the believability that informs her best work. My advice: pick another Spark please.
Perry Whitford
The first book I have read by Spark, a humorous yet frivolous affair about humorous yet frivolous people circling around the orbit of a famous film director, who begins the book in hospital after a serious accident in a camera crane.

Tom Richards is said protagonist, using his time of convalescence to think about how to finish his latest film, plan future projects and meet with members of his extended family.

He has an open marriage with his current wife, as well as an ugly and hateful daughter,
Adl
Sep 21, 2015 Adl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Popularny reżyser Tom Richards spada z dźwigu podczas pracy nad swoim najnowszym dziełem „The hamburger girl”. I w zasadzie tyle mogę napisać o fabule, cała reszta to krewni i znajomi zachowujący się to odpowiedzialnie i jak na uczciwych obywateli przystało krytykując z brytyjską powściągliwością tych, którym zupełnie odbija (stąd morderstwa, zdrady i zniknięcia).
Czyta się świetnie, Dame Muriel jak zawsze błyskotliwa, tnie ostrzem ironii po ludzkich charakterach.
Justin Evans
Oct 30, 2011 Justin Evans rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Sometimes you read a book in which there are many, many bad things, but one or two great things make up for it. Sometimes you read a book with which there isn't much wrong, but also nothing really right. 'Reality and Dreams' is like the latter. The characters are interesting. Something seems to be being said. Unfortunately, the interestingness of the characters isn't greater than usual, and whatever is being said is so weakly said that it probably wasn't worth saying, unless the point is that th ...more
Doreen Ong
didn't really like this one. good thing it is a very short story. though i do like this quote:
We are living in a world where dreams are reality and reality is dreams. In our world everything starts from a dream.
Ang
May 11, 2014 Ang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are all movie producers/directors crazy? This book's characters were too interesting to not care about them, messed up as they were... .
Nov 12, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not bad, I just didn't really like it because it seems like a dead novel. It lacks emotion (I can't believe I'm complaining about lack of emotion! What's happening to me.), which is usually compensated with intelligence in better novels, i.e. if you can't feel then at least you can think.

I hate when people describe things as 'bourgeois,' so I really hate myself for having to use that word in description of this book.

Conclusion: Don't bother. But I still want to read Spark's other books, be
Mary
Dec 08, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short novella.
What I like about Muriel Spark is that her books are engaging and unique.
Lily
Oct 28, 2011 Lily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was and odd mix of mild/forgetable and intriguing. I read it quite quickly and enjoyed it while i was reading, but when i put it down i instantly forgot about, to the point where at one point when i thuoght, "i'm bored, i should read - oh yeah, what am i reading again? that book... but whats it about?"... which is not my usual relationship to books. By the end of it, it was more present in my mind and interesting. I'm not sure i'd go out of my way to recommend it to someone, but would ...more
Hol
After a three-month hiatus, I returned to reading novels (yay!) with this brisk little book. It centers on a movie director whose creative process often feels more stable and tangible than his private life, which becomes increasingly strange and illusory as the story goes on. It’s also one of those oddball British comedies of manners in which the characters are totally flip about marital fidelity, parent-child relations, etc. yet regard art with life-and-death seriousness. Amusing, admirably rea ...more
Jim
Jul 13, 2008 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Soon after I started this story about people involved in the film industry I discovered that I'd read it before - years ago. Flipping pages quickly to get to the end I then looked at the back cover to see who had praised it. The quotes of respected authors were there with one of them even recommending it as book of the year. That was a gentle reminder - once again - that many such quotes are just friendly ways of helping friends sell books. You have to read them at least a few grains of salt.
Kathleen
Sep 08, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No one, not even Muriel Spark, can be brilliant all the time, I guess.
Persephone Abbott
As ever Muriel Spark's writing is engaging, here though personally I found the topic of her novel, the egotistical and vapid film world, less interesting. At times Spark shines through with acid remarks which made me laugh aloud and at times I could not wait to finish the book and be done with the boundary problems shared by the director, "his" actors and rich spouse.
Katrina
This isn't one of her best but it was mildly entertaining.
Aras
Jun 04, 2011 Aras rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed most of this immensely, but I thought the ending just kind of petered out. The work might have been better without any story to it, rather than the one that was tacked on after about 100 pages.
Spotsalots
I began this about ten years ago and didn't get very far. This time it still seemed to start slowly, but I began to like it reasonably soon.
Mdjb
Jan 18, 2010 Mdjb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What you might have come to expect from Muriel Spark; no more, no less, but I will probably read it again. It's thin and easy.
scherzo♫
Apr 22, 2013 scherzo♫ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
foolish people following their desires without consideration for anyone else; some good writing wasted here
Joanne
Jul 18, 2013 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange little book, full of unlikable characters.
Sep 20, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muriel Spark, tellin' it like it is!
Semi
Oct 18, 2009 Semi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i m still confused wat is it abt
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Pam
Pam is currently reading it
Tryntje Rapalje
Tryntje Rapalje marked it as to-read
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
pam
pam marked it as to-read
Maryann D'Agincourt
Maryann D'Agincourt is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
  • Muriel Spark: The Biography
  • One Love Affair: A Million Wallowing Anemones, a Thousand Eyes Peeping Through, a Thousand Spies Shivering, Unnamable Endless Flowerings, Countless Empty Bottles, Twelve Flowers, Eleven Trees, Eight Fruits, Four Vegetables, Four Peppers, Two Enemas, Tw...
  • Brink
  • Snowflake / different streets
  • Ordinary Affects
  • Anglo-Saxon Attitudes
  • Don't Kiss Me: Stories
  • The Orphan of the Rhine (Dodo Press)
Dame Muriel Spark, DBE was a prolific Scottish novelist, short story writer, and poet whose darkly comedic voice made her one of the most distinctive writers of the twentieth century. In 2008 The Times newspaper named Spark in its list of "the 50 greatest British writers since 1945".

Spark received the James Tait Black Memorial Prize in 1965 for The Mandelbaum Gate, the Ingersoll Foundation TS Eli
More about Muriel Spark...

“A work of art is like living people.” 0 likes